Options

GLBT Pearl Jam Fans?

ciaochowciaochow Posts: 97
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I know there are many straight guys out there who are "gay for Eddie Vedder" (you know who you are) but, besides me, are you queer or do you know of any queer/GLBT Pearl Jam fans? I think we should start a club or something.

(Pearl Jam is a progressive band supporting such progressive issues but, despite that, I feel like just asking this question is going to open me up to some serious haters. Please be kind.)
20. ottawa - may '16
19. ottawa - may '11
18. montreal - sept '11
17. toronto - aug '09
16. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
15. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
14. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
13. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
12. toronto - may '06
11. ottawa - sept '05
10. mansfield, ma - july '03
9. NYC - oct '00 (nader rally)
8. mansfield, ma - sept '00
7. DC - sept '98 (voters for choice)
6. NYC - sept '98
5. east rutherford, NJ - sept '98
4. montreal - aug '98
3. augusta, me - sept '96
2. toronto - sept '96
1. gimli - aug '93
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Glad you spoke up here, as I've seen some subtle, some blatant homophobic commentary on this board that has made me pretty sick. I just joined and I love having this proximity to so many other fans, but this is one thing I've noticed that I find disheartening. I usually like dudes, but I'll be in your club anyway! :)
  • Options
    One of the main reasons I have been such a PJ fan over the years is because of their activism. Eddie Vedder reading from Ms. Magazine on the radio all those years ago (when I was just an ignorant small town Canadian kid) was a turning point in my life. I became involved, interested, and an activist myself.

Of course there are many reasons why one is drawn to a band and their music, and many people ignore their activism and politics altogether, but I'm disheartened to hear about homophobic comments on this message board (aren't they censored out?)

Anyone remember when Eddie wore a pink triangle pin on Letterman? There's a man who is comfortable in his own sexuality and who isn't afraid to stick up for the marginalized.

P.S. The club isn't just for queers - allies are welcome! Based on responses so far, maybe I really am the only girl who is just "straight for Eddie" (Haha!)
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,922
    It's amazing when a band's music and message(s) can cross socio/cultural and political barriers and appeal to all types of people from all walks of life all around the world. Nice to see you on here sharing the vibe and being yourself :)

Pax
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    It's amazing when a band's music and message(s) can cross socio/cultural and political barriers and appeal to all types of people from all walks of life all around the world. Nice to see you on here sharing the vibe and being yourself :)

Pax

Thanks Pax! Could not agree more.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417
    no haters here...just lovers of beautiful music.

rock and roll
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    count me in the club! i'm straight, but most of my closest friends are gay/bi. and i've made almost all of them pj fans, or at least pj-tolerant when i blast it in the car. it bums me out when i read homophobic stuff on here, even though it doesn't happen that often. it just reminds me of high school, when "that's gay" was the most used phrase of derision. queer fans (and their pals) unite!
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    i'm a straight married female...but i'd like to be in your club! :)

i mentioned to an aquaintance after the msg2 show how most of the guys in the bar we were at had man-crushes on eddie...
    and he was like... NO DOUBT!!

my husband prefers bro-mance (but his is Dan Marino)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options

my husband prefers bro-mance (but his is Dan Marino)

Bro-mance?! That's so clever. I'd take ev over Dan Marino any day. Wait, who's Dan Marino? :)
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    One of the main reasons I have been such a PJ fan over the years is because of their activism. Eddie Vedder reading from Ms. Magazine on the radio all those years ago (when I was just an ignorant small town Canadian kid) was a turning point in my life. I became involved, interested, and an activist myself.

Of course there are many reasons why one is drawn to a band and their music, and many people ignore their activism and politics altogether, but I'm disheartened to hear about homophobic comments on this message board (aren't they censored out?)

Anyone remember when Eddie wore a pink triangle pin on Letterman? There's a man who is comfortable in his own sexuality and who isn't afraid to stick up for the marginalized.

P.S. The club isn't just for queers - allies are welcome! Based on responses so far, maybe I really am the only girl who is just "straight for Eddie" (Haha!)

Parasol, one of the reasons I got into PJ as a teen was the activism aspect as well. I'm not gay, but I appreciated the same things you did. I am not sure if I would have become an environmental professional, or cared as much as I do about women's issues if it had not been for ed and pearl jam. To me, much of pearl jam's music is about making the world a better place- loving others, being open-minded, respecting everyone, standing up for important issue, etc.

I just joined the board but I have read it a lot in the past. I have seen homophobic, racist, sexist, xenophobic, etc comments on here, which honestly boggles the mind. A friend of my ex-boyfriend's claimed to be a huge PJ fan, but complained that ed was a "liberal." This same guy disrespected women, made racial comments in public, was obsessed with money, etc. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how that happens.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    I heard that Ellen Degeneres is gay.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Glad you spoke up here, as I've seen some subtle, some blatant homophobic commentary on this board that has made me pretty sick. I just joined and I love having this proximity to so many other fans, but this is one thing I've noticed that I find disheartening. I usually like dudes, but I'll be in your club anyway! :)

Agreed.

It's funny, I was actually wondering how many GLBT PJ fans were out there just the other day (cause there can be a bit of a sausage fest on here at times). Most of my gay and lesbian friends don't like PJ, in fact they rib me about PJ, kinda funny (although a couple of my gay male friends have inexplicable crushes on Courtney Love, so I don't see how they can poke fun at my PJ love ;) )

Anyway, glad you started this thread. I'd like to be another ally in your club :)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Agreed.

It's funny, I was actually wondering how many GLBT PJ fans were out there just the other day (cause there can be a bit of a sausage fest on here at times). Most of my gay and lesbian friends don't like PJ, in fact they rib me about PJ, kinda funny (although a couple of my gay male friends have inexplicable crushes on Courtney Love, so I don't see how they can poke fun at my PJ love ;) )

Anyway, glad you started this thread. I'd like to be another ally in your club :)

most gay men I've known aren't into rock music in general for some reason, which I find interesting. But I'm sure there are plenty out there who are. I think I've met some lesbian PJ fans in the past. one may be more common than the other.

also I forgot to add, I'll join your club! :)
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036

Pax
    Your statement is absolutely TRUE!!!

I came to the States in '91 and obviously with very little English, I didn't understand much of the grunge movement. Luckily by the time Yield came out my English was pretty good and I've been hooked ever since.

P.S. I am not gay but always good to see diverse group of people who share the same love for Pearl Jam. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    It's funny, I was actually wondering how many GLBT PJ fans were out there just the other day (cause there can be a bit of a sausage fest on here at times).

I think I have your answer: ONE (two, if you count my spouse who admits to liking several PJ songs - but probably only because I've been force-feeding them to her for ten years). Maybe if I wear a "Am I the only queer here?" shirt to the Montreal and Toronto EV gigs, I'll find some more.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear from all the allies out there. At least I know if I need a date for the Canadian gigs, I might be able to find a friendly person on the boards to join me (and when I say "date" I don't mean anything romantic... I am very happily married!). :)
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    hmmm. my girlfriend says all the time that i have a "man-crush" on EV. lol.

lol. oh well, i guess i could do worse!!!!

now im going to go have "man-cry" over not being able to see him in chicago!.

peace.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    At least I know if I need a date for the Canadian gigs, I might be able to find a friendly person on the boards to join me (and when I say "date" I don't mean anything romantic... I am very happily married!). :)

I'll gladly be your date. I am SO tired of having to beg friends to join me!
  • Options
    Krisdababe wrote:
    I'll gladly be your date. I am SO tired of having to beg friends to join me!

Are you being sarcastic? Because I seriously do have that problem! Or, should I say, I did UNTIL I realized that my fan club number was awarding me front-row centre tickets to the shows (until they randomized it) and suddenly people were interested in joining me.

Now that I can't make that semi-certain promise that we'll land in the front, I will probably be back to begging people (including my partner who I'm begging to join me in Montreal)!
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306

Yes, this is a topic that really should be discussed. The attitude that women are valuable only relative to their sexual attractiveness runs pretty thick here too.

Count me as a friend of the new club for sure. Straight, but not narrow.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    Yes, this is a topic that really should be discussed. The attitude that women are valuable only relative to their sexual attractiveness runs pretty thick here too.

thank you!!! I'm glad someone else noticed this too. (and how people value "sexual attractiveness" is very narrow too).
  • Options
    Are you being sarcastic? Because I seriously do have that problem! Or, should I say, I did UNTIL I realized that my fan club number was awarding me front-row centre tickets to the shows (until they randomized it) and suddenly people were interested in joining me.

Now that I can't make that semi-certain promise that we'll land in the front, I will probably be back to begging people (including my partner who I'm begging to join me in Montreal)!

Omg. No. Not being sarcastic AT ALL. (just this one time though.. ;)) You have no idea how many rolled eyed looks i get when i say, "Okay, so...there's a tour. Who wants to come with?"

You let me know when you need a tour buddy and i'll fly where i have to! :)

..and as for being in front, whatever... I mean, i've been in third row and i've been far, far in the back. Either way, i rock out and have a blast.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I am not.

But I support homosexuals.
  • Options
    Krisdababe wrote:
    Omg. No. Not being sarcastic AT ALL. (just this one time though.. ;)) You have no idea how many rolled eyed looks i get when i say, "Okay, so...there's a tour. Who wants to come with?"

You let me know when you need a tour buddy and i'll fly where i have to! :)

..and as for being in front, whatever... I mean, i've been in third row and i've been far, far in the back. Either way, i rock out and have a blast.

I'm so greatful I have a built-in tour buddy (my brother) but at times when hasn't been able to go to show I sell my other ticket and go by myself!
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    I'm so greatful I have a built-in tour buddy (my brother) but at times when hasn't been able to go to show I sell my other ticket and go by myself!

Yeah, you're really lucky that way. My husband's been to 2 shows and doesn't really want to see anymore. I thought for awhile there, i was doing a good job converting him but now...not so much. He couldn't care less.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Not to stereotype, but it isn't really the type of music most of the gay people I know listen to. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be true.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Welcome Parasol! It's always nice to have new people with interesting and thoughtful ideas posting.

I'm so "unhip and not with it" that I had to look up GLTB in the urban dictionary :P
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    think i might be Pearl Jam gay
    i'm hetro,married with two kids
    two of my all time heroes are Michael Stipe & Stephen Fry
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    don't drop the soap Ed.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Not to stereotype, but it isn't really the type of music most of the gay people I know listen to. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be true.

Maybe it's true for you and the people you know but i know a bunch of gay people who like PJ. not enough to travel with me though... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I'm not gay and I don't hate gay people, but I usually use the phrase "that's gay" when there's something i don't like or think is dumb. I don't really mean any disrespect to gay people, it's just a habit.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I too have a mancrush on Eddie (as well as Brett Favre), but am not gay. However, I often have to question, and in this case, why do you need a separate club? Isn't that separating yourselves even more and causing devicivness? Please don't take this the wrong way. People should not try to make clubs that divide each other as a musical community.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me