Options

GLBT Pearl Jam Fans?

Comments

• Options
    ciaochowciaochow Posts: 97
    However, I often have to question, and in this case, why do you need a separate club? Isn't that separating yourselves even more and causing devicivness? Please don't take this the wrong way. People should not try to make clubs that divide each other as a musical community.

It occurred to me that what I said might be seen as creating division. That wasn't my intent. I was really just kidding when I was referring to starting a club. Perhaps because I'm a "member" of a marginalized group of people, I tend to look around the room sometimes and wonder if I'm the only one.

I thought it would be cool to see if there were other GLBT people who were PJ fans because it's not necessarily a band that would appeal to that community in an obvious way (being that it's a band of straight guys who play rock music).

If I were a straight guy who was a huge fan of, say, The Indigo Girls, I think I'd be looking around wondering if I was the only one too.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    16. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    15. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    14. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    13. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    10. mansfield, ma - july '03
    9. NYC - oct '00 (nader rally)
    8. mansfield, ma - sept '00
    7. DC - sept '98 (voters for choice)
    6. NYC - sept '98
    5. east rutherford, NJ - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    3. augusta, me - sept '96
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Gerkins, Lettuce, Bacon and Tomato? No thanks, I'm a vegetarian. :D
  • Options
    Gerkins, Lettuce, Bacon and Tomato? No thanks, I'm a vegetarian. :D

Haha! I'm a vegetarian too, I'll take the gerkins, lettuce, and tomato if we can get someone to hold the bacon.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Gay
    Straight
    Black
    White
    One people
    One fight

peace.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I'm not gay and I don't hate gay people, but I usually use the phrase "that's gay" when there's something i don't like or think is dumb. I don't really mean any disrespect to gay people, it's just a habit.

But I have to just add my 2 cents here...language is important and if you use the word gay as an adjective synonymous with "dumb," what are you implying? Even if it has become a part of popular slang and everyone knows you don't "really mean any disrespect..." Wouldn't it be more accurate to just say something is dumb, stupid, that you don't like it? Especially in a forum like this, all we know about you is the words you choose to put in a post...that is how you represent yourself. And imagine how it must feel to be the gay person who comes across your post and sees that language...I think it comes across as mean, even if that's not your intent.

Glad to see this discussion continuing! xo
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I think I have your answer: ONE (two, if you count my spouse who admits to liking several PJ songs - but probably only because I've been force-feeding them to her for ten years). Maybe if I wear a "Am I the only queer here?" shirt to the Montreal and Toronto EV gigs, I'll find some more.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear from all the allies out there. At least I know if I need a date for the Canadian gigs, I might be able to find a friendly person on the boards to join me (and when I say "date" I don't mean anything romantic... I am very happily married!). :)

Well, it's good to see there are more than just one ;)

Now, where were you when I needed a concert buddy in Toronto!? I saw PJ 3 times by myself in TO. Still had a blast, but had no-one else to go with and there was no way I was missing it! ;)
    But I have to just add my 2 cents here...language is important and if you use the word gay as an adjective synonymous with "dumb," what are you implying? Even if it has become a part of popular slang and everyone knows you don't "really mean any disrespect..." Wouldn't it be more accurate to just say something is dumb, stupid, that you don't like it? Especially in a forum like this, all we know about you is the words you choose to put in a post...that is how you represent yourself. And imagine how it must feel to be the gay person who comes across your post and sees that language...I think it comes across as mean, even if that's not your intent.

Agreed. I pull people up on this all the time.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    some of my friends think I am "gay" for my love of PJ....last coment I heard was when one of my friends wanted to borrow Into the wild for his girlfriend he told her I probably have "pearl jam" tattoed on my pecker.

I am not hot enough to be hit on by a gay dude.

life is too short to be hating people
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    If I were a straight guy who was a huge fan of, say, The Indigo Girls, I think I'd be looking around wondering if I was the only one too.

I had to go see them with my wife last year and kind of wondered that. She's going next week again and I graciously bowed out this time.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Now, where were you when I needed a concert buddy in Toronto!? I saw PJ 3 times by myself in TO. Still had a blast, but had no-one else to go with and there was no way I was missing it! ;)

Hmm, what shows are you referring to? That sucks that you had to go alone!

P.S. I'm wondering - would I officially go to PJ Hell if I went to a show with two tickets and used the second chair to hold my poster? :)
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    Hmm, what shows are you referring to? That sucks that you had to go alone!

P.S. I'm wondering - would I officially go to PJ Hell if I went to a show with two tickets and used the second chair to hold my poster? :)

TO Sept '05 and TO May '06 (both shows). I didn't mind, I spoke to the people around me. I think you may go to hell if your seats were better than mine and said seat was nursing a poster... maybe ;)

Speaking of tickets, I did manage to convert my friend during May '06, I popped her PJ cherry at Lolla and she's now a fully fledged PJ fan. I would love to get her a ticket to see Ed in Toronto (I couldn't get online today cause there's no computer at work), so if you have a spare for either night, I would love to buy it for her :)

Okay, I just saw that you went to the Ottawa show in '05... JEALOUS!!! WASH opening!? *faints*
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I know there are many straight guys out there who are "gay for Eddie Vedder" (you know who you are) but, besides me, are you queer or do you know of any queer/GLBT Pearl Jam fans? I think we should start a club or something.

(Pearl Jam is a progressive band supporting such progressive issues but, despite that, I feel like just asking this question is going to open me up to some serious haters. Please be kind.)

I'm married with 3 kids now, but I used to date both boys and girls before I got married :D and of course I'm a HUGE Pearl Jam fan!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,922

(Pearl Jam is a progressive band supporting such progressive issues but, despite that, I feel like just asking this question is going to open me up to some serious haters. Please be kind.)

So, this thread has been on the first page for a few days now. I'm curious if it has brought you any negative feedback. I seriously hope not. :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    So, this thread has been on the first page for a few days now. I'm curious if it has brought you any negative feedback. I seriously hope not. :)

It hasn't! Hooray!
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    I too have a mancrush on Eddie (as well as Brett Favre), but am not gay. However, I often have to question, and in this case, why do you need a separate club? Isn't that separating yourselves even more and causing devicivness? Please don't take this the wrong way. People should not try to make clubs that divide each other as a musical community.

Thats F-in funny . Me and my friends are straight but I swear two of them have the biggest Brett Farve man crushes in the world and were from New York. It is absolultley ridiculous. Its like that joke in the preview to Step brothers. If you could sleep with one guy who would it be. Both JOHN STAMOS!!! LOL As for Eddie straight or gay he has some fuckin charisma
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    Evo2010 wrote:
    Thats F-in funny . Me and my friends are straight but I swear two of them have the biggest Brett Farve man crushes in the world and were from New York. It is absolultley ridiculous. Its like that joke in the preview to Step brothers. If you could sleep with one guy who would it be. Both JOHN STAMOS!!! LOL As for Eddie straight or gay he has some fuckin charisma

he does have some crazy charisma.. doesn't he?!

and urs.. ?? !! :)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,922
    It hasn't! Hooray!

I'm glad to hear that :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    TO Sept '05 and TO May '06 (both shows).

Okay, I just saw that you went to the Ottawa show in '05... JEALOUS!!! WASH opening!? *faints*

Yes, that was an amazing way to open a show! I'm surprised they pulled that out for lil ol' Ottawa.

Wish I had seen more of that Canadian tour. Went to only the first TO show... so stupid... I was front row the first night. It killed me that I hadn't bought tickets for the following night as well.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    Yes, that was an amazing way to open a show! I'm surprised they pulled that out for lil ol' Ottawa.

Wish I had seen more of that Canadian tour. Went to only the first TO show... so stupid... I was front row the first night. It killed me that I hadn't bought tickets for the following night as well.

Well, I only bought my ticket for night 2 after night 1... Ticketmaster had released extra seats and I got in the gold 100 section of the ACC (there were 2 spare seats next to me too). I'm going to ignore the fact you were front row for night 1... I was nosebleeds for night 1. I wish I'd done all the Ontario dates in '05.

I like that they pulled that out in Ottawa, I have that bootleg, love it... what a great show. I died a little inside when I first saw that setlist (just like I did with Mansfield 2), but I was at U2 in TO that night, so no way I could have been there... c'est la vie.
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Ticketmaster had released extra seats and I got in the gold 100 section of the ACC (there were 2 spare seats next to me too). I'm going to ignore the fact you were front row for night 1... I was nosebleeds for night 1. I wish I'd done all the Ontario dates in '05.

Dammit! Sh*t.
    Well, not sure that would have changed anything if I had known. I flew home the day after the first night.

Me too! I really wish I had done all the Ontario dates at least (and the St. John's shows)... I might have been in front row all the way along. Oh well. Regrets.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    Dammit! Sh*t.
    Well, not sure that would have changed anything if I had known. I flew home the day after the first night.

Me too! I really wish I had done all the Ontario dates at least (and the St. John's shows)... I might have been in front row all the way along. Oh well. Regrets.

Whaddaya gonna do... can't change it now :S St John's would have been cool and Halifax, the whole tour was great, all those little places they did, fantastic. As it is, I didn't have the money, so really nothing I could have done about it then either... next time ;) I might just invite myself along with you :D
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    I'm a straight male that will be proud to support your little corner of the MP.
  • Options
    I find it really interesting to see this thread on the front page of the board. I am a gay guy, and obviously a huge PJ fan. It's true that Pearl Jam's music isn't the sort that really brings in a "gay" audience, but the band is extremely supportive of all walks of life (perhaps less-so of uber-conservatives and/or close-minded folks). Not once have I ever felt "left out" or that I didn't "fit in." The majority of PJ's fan-base is also unbelievably cool and liberal. In addition, my older brother happens to be gay as well, and is also a huge PJ fan. So, that's sorta crazy...

While were on the topic, the lyrics of Comatose are extremely relevant to this whole conversation "...if it's illegal to be in love...leave your hatred on the cross." Right on.

Nice thread.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

and urs.. ?? !! :)

LOL... I guess it never came up in conversation before... :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    heehee :)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    gay PJ fan here... i too have noticed there's not many. it doesn't bother me though. my friends who are gay tend to (stereotypically?) prefer female vocalists/musicians and dance-y stuff to rock music. but most of them will listen to pearl jam with me, and even have some of their albums. my ex-b/f went to see them with me and loved it. so that's always heartening:)
  • Options
    PJMosquito wrote:
    I find it really interesting to see this thread on the front page of the board. I am a gay guy, and obviously a huge PJ fan. It's true that Pearl Jam's music isn't the sort that really brings in a "gay" audience, but the band is extremely supportive of all walks of life (perhaps less-so of uber-conservatives and/or close-minded folks). Not once have I ever felt "left out" or that I didn't "fit in." The majority of PJ's fan-base is also unbelievably cool and liberal. In addition, my older brother happens to be gay as well, and is also a huge PJ fan. So, that's sorta crazy...

While were on the topic, the lyrics of Comatose are extremely relevant to this whole conversation "...if it's illegal to be in love...leave your hatred on the cross." Right on.

Nice thread.

Thanks, I agree with you on all points. I knew there had to be other GLBT fans out there. We're a minority but, hey, we're used to that, right?
    gay PJ fan here... i too have noticed there's not many. it doesn't bother me though. my friends who are gay tend to (stereotypically?) prefer female vocalists/musicians and dance-y stuff to rock music. but most of them will listen to pearl jam with me, and even have some of their albums. my ex-b/f went to see them with me and loved it. so that's always heartening:)

That's cool - I'm wondering what songs or albums you can use to hook newbies on the band. My partner likes the softer Off He Goes, Wishlist sorta songs from the band's albums. She just hates Do the Evolution (which breaks my heart a little but I enjoy the song cranked up to 10 when she's not around).
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    6. NYC - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    ederosexual: tm, me circa 1998

ed*er*o*sex*u*al; noun: male, heterosexual in every imaginable way,
    except in the case of eddie vedder

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    DixieNDixieN Posts: 351
    I'm an ally. The sticker on my car says so! :) I've loved PJ for years. My daughter's a lesbian. She's had a soft spot for PJ for a long time.
  • Options
    qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    Im gay too. There are a few of us, but hard to find in the crowd. The whole "gay guys dont like rock music" is a sterotype. The are plenty of gay guys that like good music, just as there are plenty of straight guys that watch Sex in the City(i dont). I brought up the "are there any gay fans" a few years ago on this board, and got some pretty hatefull comments directed towards me. Im glad to see that this thread is a lot more respectful.
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • Options
    linzpjamlinzpjam Posts: 36
    I know there are many straight guys out there who are "gay for Eddie Vedder" (you know who you are) but, besides me, are you queer or do you know of any queer/GLBT Pearl Jam fans? I think we should start a club or something.

Cool thread - I'm in the club! I'm a woman, huge PJ fan (I'm up to 40 shows I think), bi-sexual, currently in a 7 year relationship with my girlfriend. I'm used to being in the minority everywhere (except here in NE Portland, where everything goes!), so the PJ crowd isn't that different. I'm happy to report that we haven't felt any negative vibes at the shows we've been to.

One funny thing, I started a thread at Christmas, bragging about the amazing Eddie ITW mosaic that my girlfriend made for me. I got some funny, somewhat macho responses like: "DUDE you should marry that girl, she's a keeper!" and "I hope you made some sweet, sweet love to her", etc. Well, I can't marry her but had no problem with the 2nd suggestion!