**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Got the ACL email this morning - no Radiohead. Stevie Wonder is the main headliner, along with Arcade Fire and Kanye West. This is almost as disappointing as no PJ shows in the south. We will get Coldplay, Social Distortion, My Morning Jacket, and Brandi Carlile - all of which I would pay to see. But the cost of day passes is high and I couldn't care less about the Arcade Fire (I know, I'm crazy) and especially Kanye West. Stevie Wonder also holds little interest for me in terms of headlining the festival. What a bummer.

I've got the Avett Brothers in Houston on Friday night. At least I have that to look forward to.

Got that email, too, and have to say it feels like a dud compared to other ACL lineups.

The undercard is pretty solid, but the headliners don't move me. MMJ, Alison Krauss, Fleet Foxes, Bright Eyes, Old Crow, and Iron & Wine will all play great sets. I like Brandi Carlile & Ryan Bingham, too. But I don't think I could justify the cost for that weekend.

Go enjoy Avett Brothers! That'll help your feelings tremendously.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Got the ACL email this morning - no Radiohead. Stevie Wonder is the main headliner, along with Arcade Fire and Kanye West. This is almost as disappointing as no PJ shows in the south. We will get Coldplay, Social Distortion, My Morning Jacket, and Brandi Carlile - all of which I would pay to see. But the cost of day passes is high and I couldn't care less about the Arcade Fire (I know, I'm crazy) and especially Kanye West. Stevie Wonder also holds little interest for me in terms of headlining the festival. What a bummer.

I've got the Avett Brothers in Houston on Friday night. At least I have that to look forward to.

I felt utterly betrayed when I got the email this morning...

Tickets were bought, hotel was booked.... now I'm not even interested.

I would have paid $165 just for Radiohead... but no, couldn't even get that... i mean, where is the rock in this lineup? The only headliner that holds any interest for me is Coldplay, and I'm going to lollapalooza, so why bother with this?? Yea, ok, Arcade Fire are good - but extremely overhyped. They have only put out 3 records - they should not be headlining a major festival... and they're newest record is their worst by far, which is probably the only one that will get played...

Perry Ferrell you rose so high in my esteem 2 years ago when you took the stage to kill it on sunday night with PJ, only to lead me to this.... garbage....

this summer concert series is bumming me out... I'm going to spend all my money flying to Toronto to see real shows...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Swing on by and

1sm287tarzan.gif

PLAY THE SOUTH!
  • themessengerthemessenger Posts: 1,320
    shep wrote:

I would have paid $165 just for Radiohead... but no, couldn't even get that... i mean, where is the rock in this lineup? The only headliner that holds any interest for me is Coldplay, and I'm going to lollapalooza, so why bother with this?? Yea, ok, Arcade Fire are good - but extremely overhyped. They have only put out 3 records - they should not be headlining a major festival... and they're newest record is their worst by far, which is probably the only one that will get played...

Perry Ferrell you rose so high in my esteem 2 years ago when you took the stage to kill it on sunday night with PJ, only to lead me to this.... garbage....

this summer concert series is bumming me out... I'm going to spend all my money flying to Toronto to see real shows...

Yeah I saw the ACL email this morning and deleted it pretty much immediately which means I can go all in on the PJ20 weekend instead (which is probably a good thing for my bank account).
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    shep wrote:

Yeah, I was willing to pay for Radiohead alone and the rest would have just been bonus. But this lineup is very, very underwhelming for my taste. Makes my decision easy - I definitely will not be going to ACL this year.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    I'm hitting ACL on Saturday. MMJ, Iron & Wine and J. Roddy Walston make it worth the 5 minute trip for me.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    MMJ at ACL would be sweet - are there curfews? They played a 4 hour set at Roo back in 2008 - of course I didn't start getting into them until recently...I would love to be able to go back in time
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    MMJ at ACL would be sweet - are there curfews? They played a 4 hour set at Roo back in 2008 - of course I didn't start getting into them until recently...I would love to be able to go back in time

Each act at ACL has a set time to play. There's no camping so it's not overnight, so they wouldn't be able to go for 4 hours. The smallest acts get 30 min, some 45, then 1 hour and the headliners get 1.5-2 hours or so. I think PJ played for just over 2 hours in 2009.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

• its just gishits just gish Posts: 880
    pandora wrote:
    ththbf-heartballoons-1.gifPLAY THE SOUTH!
    Just some food for thought - and yes, I realize this is a massive waste of time:

Pearl Jam is playing 10 Canadien shows in 9 cities. I got curious about the populations of the areas they will play in comparison to some of the southern stops they've skipped over the last 8 years.

Canada 2011 Shows - (Metro area population)

Montreal (3,635,571)
    Toronto (5,113,149)
    Vancouver (2,116,581)
    Ottawa (1,130,761)
    Calgary (1,079,310)
    Edmonton (1,034,945)
    Hamilton (692,911)
    Winnipeg (694,668)
    Saskatoon (265,259)

Total Canada sites metro area population - 15,763,155

A few major cities in the south US (Metro area population)

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)

Each of these 3 cities is bigger than Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon combined (by over 1 million people). Combined, these three cities outdo all the Canada sites by over 2 million people! In 3 cities that haven't seen a show in 8 years!

If you throw in San Antonio, the population of just 3 Texas cities - Houston, Dallas, SA - is 14,727,873. That's almost equal to all of the Canada sites combined, just in one state.

If you were to set up a hypothetical tour of 9 south US cities that would be realistic for the band to play, it might look something like this:

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Oklahoma City (1,257,987)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)
    New Orleans (1,235,650)
    Charlotte (1,745,524)
    Memphis (1,305,946)
    West Palm Beach (5,413,212)
    Tampa (2,733,761)

Total metro area population: 31,546,313

That's twice the number of people than in the areas of Canada they're playing. So really, why can't they play the south? I just refuse to believe it's because they feel like they can't sell enough tickets here. But they can in Saskatoon (no offense to residents of Saskatoon)? That would mean they're looking for cost effective tours. Since the last time they toured the majority of the south, they've played Europe 4 times, Australia/New Zealand, and South America - and rumors have it that they'll be in South America again at the end of 2011. That's 6, and now possibly 7, major international trips without playing some of the most populated areas of the United States. And now a second trip through Canada. Hardly cost effective when compared to playng in the US.

Honestly, I wouldn't take those shows away from Canada or anywhere else if I could. I'm happy they are getting to see the band. But what in the world is keeping them from playing the south? There are tons of fans down here who have supported this band from day one and they continue to act like we don't exist. They can easily sell tickets here.

:arrow: play the south

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    This might make absolutely no sense as I have no idea how concerts are planned/setup...but could the problem be with a local promoter or something? In 03, Eddie told the Dallas crowd that they wouldn't be back for a while, so it seems that whatever the reason is for them not playing down here could have occurred in 2003. Any ideas?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    This might make absolutely no sense as I have no idea how concerts are planned/setup...but could the problem be with a local promoter or something? In 03, Eddie told the Dallas crowd that they wouldn't be back for a while, so it seems that whatever the reason is for them not playing down here could have occurred in 2003. Any ideas?

Not sure, but it would be interesting to know. However, that still wouldn't explain their absence in most of the south for 8 years and counting. I'd really, really like to know the real reason behind these decisions.

the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Better Dan wrote:

Not sure, but it would be interesting to know. However, that still wouldn't explain their absence in most of the south for 8 years and counting. I'd really, really like to know the real reason behind these decisions.

I would love to know the reason. Someone should call in tomorrow and see if they might know?
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    canada is lush and has acres of awesomeness!

this is why
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqLpDZ86rM
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    2012 will be the year of the South with a typical NE shows add on....book it. I could say play the South, but it wouldn't matter...it will happen.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
    Noload wrote:
    2012 will be the year of the South with a typical NE shows add on....book it. I could say play the South, but it wouldn't matter...it will happen.
    just a feeling?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

MoonTurtle wrote:

this is why

I take that, and raise this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5ICMZN0Uk
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Just some food for thought - and yes, I realize this is a massive waste of time:

Pearl Jam is playing 10 Canadien shows in 9 cities. I got curious about the populations of the areas they will play in comparison to some of the southern stops they've skipped over the last 8 years.

Canada 2011 Shows - (Metro area population)

Montreal (3,635,571)
    Toronto (5,113,149)
    Vancouver (2,116,581)
    Ottawa (1,130,761)
    Calgary (1,079,310)
    Edmonton (1,034,945)
    Hamilton (692,911)
    Winnipeg (694,668)
    Saskatoon (265,259)

Total Canada sites metro area population - 15,763,155

A few major cities in the south US (Metro area population)

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)

Each of these 3 cities is bigger than Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon combined (by over 1 million people). Combined, these three cities outdo all the Canada sites by over 2 million people! In 3 cities that haven't seen a show in 8 years!

If you throw in San Antonio, the population of just 3 Texas cities - Houston, Dallas, SA - is 14,727,873. That's almost equal to all of the Canada sites combined, just in one state.

If you were to set up a hypothetical tour of 9 south US cities that would be realistic for the band to play, it might look something like this:

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Oklahoma City (1,257,987)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)
    New Orleans (1,235,650)
    Charlotte (1,745,524)
    Memphis (1,305,946)
    West Palm Beach (5,413,212)
    Tampa (2,733,761)

Total metro area population: 31,546,313

That's twice the number of people than in the areas of Canada they're playing. So really, why can't they play the south? I just refuse to believe it's because they feel like they can't sell enough tickets here. But they can in Saskatoon (no offense to residents of Saskatoon)? That would mean they're looking for cost effective tours. Since the last time they toured the majority of the south, they've played Europe 4 times, Australia/New Zealand, and South America - and rumors have it that they'll be in South America again at the end of 2011. That's 6, and now possibly 7, major international trips without playing some of the most populated areas of the United States. And now a second trip through Canada. Hardly cost effective when compared to playng in the US.

Honestly, I wouldn't take those shows away from Canada or anywhere else if I could. I'm happy they are getting to see the band. But what in the world is keeping them from playing the south? There are tons of fans down here who have supported this band from day one and they continue to act like we don't exist. They can easily sell tickets here.

I made a similar comparison (without as much detail), a few pages back... and I agree with you... it makes absolutely no sense. Houston alone has more population than 6 of the cities on that tour combined.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    Play the South

Play ATL
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Guess who is playing the south tomorrow? The Foo Fighters!!! Two shows both less than two hours from my house, so I'm going to both. I really wish PJ would do the same or throw us some sort of bone down here. I get the WI is middle US, but it's middle northern US. I love these guys, but we got left out again.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Here we go. Play the south!
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    umm live music capital of the world?

que?

no no
    total exaggeration

soooo here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHlG31Oqfc

MoonTurtle wrote:

this is why

I take that, and raise this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5ICMZN0Uk
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    the south
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    ththsidetracked.gif

NORTH * * * * * SOUTH!!! :D
    pandora wrote:
    ththsidetracked.gif

NORTH * * * * * SOUTH!!! :D
    :lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

texas please

• dgerlach720dgerlach720 Posts: 158
    SOuth FLorida and Tampa por favor???