**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Flagg wrote:
    I do not expect any South or Texas dates on this announcement and I won't be mad if there are none. I am expecting this to be PJ20 and Canada so I am not building myself up to be disappointed. If this was an album tour, that would be different.

agreed.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    back to page one
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Flagg wrote:
    I do not expect any South or Texas dates on this announcement and I won't be mad if there are none. I am expecting this to be PJ20 and Canada so I am not building myself up to be disappointed. If this was an album tour, that would be different.

I don't expect anything down here either. But it doesn't lessen the disappointment. It's sad that the fans down here continually have to reduce the excitement over a possible show down to about zero every single time an announcement is pending. I guess the bright side is if they do happen to announce a southern show today, I'll be beyond surprised - total shock (in a good way). Still hoping, but not expecting anything.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
    The way these dates are trickling out, I'm starting to wonder about a Seattle or Gorge show to cap-off the tour.

Either way, nothing for us it seems.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:
    why am I bothering? This is pointless now anyway I suppose...

Just makes me wonder why I should respect a band that clearly has no respect for me. I'm gonna go buy a metallica or a tool membership and waste my free time their forums...

All I can say is that if Radiohead isn't playing ACL I am going to be sorely disappointed in all the summer concert series....

horseshit... I've had enough of chasing after this band.. why do I need to put my life on hold and spend the precious little vacation I have to travel and see this band... not to mention the money.. enough already...

At this point, it's what I'm hoping for. I just wish this band would actually come back down in a reasonable amount of time. I've been planning for the Alpine Valley thing for a while, so I'm not terribly upset, but it really is getting ridiculous. I'm still holding back on saying it's pointless to post here almost daily, but I'll give that a little bit more time. I haven't lost all hope, yet..

I can't speak for everyone, but I've been in both those places (and more) w/regard to PJ.

When I get disgusted or disappointed, I usually take a step away from the band, the boards, the chatter. I don't listen to their music for a while. Then, when I decide to sample some PJ again, it's actually a sweet taste and reminds me of why I've hung in here w/ them all these years. Ask LukinFan. Before this spring and all the PJ20 stuff, I would just drop-by the forum every so often to shoot him a PM and get the latest scoop or his take on rumors.

I keep my 10C membership up-to-date, but I'm not as rabid as I once was. Maybe that makes me an inconsistent fan, but it helps me keep in perspective that I have my life and they have theirs. If our paths intersect somewhere, then it will be a grand old time. And, if they don't: it's not personal; it's just business.

Of course, that final thought is usually preceded by a "fuck 'em. I don't need 'em anyway". ;):mrgreen:

Alright, so after a long weekend of being pissed, I'm back...

First let me say thanks Rhino... I stepped away from all of this for the weekend, and it really helped.

After seeing all the dates trickle out here now... I think I'm going to wind up in Toronto for the 11th and 12th shows.... no WI for me... too many good friends in TO... I've already cleared it with the girlfriend and she's going to come with me... cause her bday is september 11th and I don't want to miss that... I'll be paying for the trip, but that's ok... I appreciate her saying she'd come cause she saw how upset I was when the tweet came out on Friday...

so hopefully this all works out... I still feel bad for all the people in the south, cause it's still terribly unfair of this band to do what they are doing, and it screams disrespect to so many of their fans.

if it had of been 15 years ago when the record company was making money off this stuff, they would have been like "fuck it, we're going" and now that they are running their own business and doing it themselves it's clearly come full circle... still coming to grips with how I feel about all of this...

anyway, here's to PLAYING THE SOUTH!!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    Alright, so after a long weekend of being pissed, I'm back...

First let me say thanks Rhino... I stepped away from all of this for the weekend, and it really helped.

After seeing all the dates trickle out here now... I think I'm going to wind up in Toronto for the 11th and 12th shows.... no WI for me... too many good friends in TO... I've already cleared it with the girlfriend and she's going to come with me... cause her bday is september 11th and I don't want to miss that... I'll be paying for the trip, but that's ok... I appreciate her saying she'd come cause she saw how upset I was when the tweet came out on Friday...

so hopefully this all works out... I still feel bad for all the people in the south, cause it's still terribly unfair of this band to do what they are doing, and it screams disrespect to so many of their fans.

if it had of been 15 years ago when the record company was making money off this stuff, they would have been like "fuck it, we're going" and now that they are running their own business and doing it themselves it's clearly come full circle... still coming to grips with how I feel about all of this...

anyway, here's to PLAYING THE SOUTH!!

We have to look out for each other, right? It's community.

And we also should salute the folks of Canada. Some of them have been waiting 6 long years to have PJ come back their way. Kudos!

I'm looking at options. My wife isn't so interested in PJ20 Weekend, but Vancouver or Gorge/Seattle shows might be enough to sway her.

If nothing else, I'll be @ the Weekend.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta step out to my car for a few minutes for some Sirius business. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    At least they removed further speculation and flat out said there won't be any more US shows this year. That's a huge disappointment, but at least we won't be sitting here with more false hope. Looks like 9 years and counting...
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

yep...see y'all in 2012.
  • its just gishits just gish Posts: 880
    ComeToTX wrote:
    yep...see y'all in 2012.

I hope so!
    ComeToTX wrote:
    yep...see y'all in 2012.

I hope so!

I don't actually think we'll get shows next year I was saying there's no need to bump this thing until 2012. I know we will anyway though.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Am I the only person getting a laugh at the people in the Northeast who are bitching about having to travel to PJ20?

OHMYGODYOUMEANIHAVETOGOTOWISCONSIN?THATSADEALBREAKER!

I swear, every time a tour is announced and the South is skipped (again), and people in the South complain (again), the reaction from the Northeast is, "If you were a real fan you'd travel to see them." Which, of course, is easy to say when you live somewhere Pearl Jam plays multiple times every single year and "traveling to see them" means taking the subway more than five stops.

So, I don't have any problem admitting I'm getting a laugh at the expense of the people suddenly complaining about the location of the show and saying the travel aspect is a dealbreaker.

Welcome to our club. Put your feet up, grab a beer, and I'll have some jambalaya ready soon.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    ComeToTX wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    yep...see y'all in 2012.

I hope so!

I don't actually think we'll get shows next year I was saying there's no need to bump this thing until 2012. I know we will anyway though.
    No - we have to keep bumping. Plans are made far in advance of when they are announced. Just look at when Nelly first announced that it was going to be at Alpine - that was MONTHS ago. They've known about this for awhile - same thing with the Canada shows. I still truly believe that the reason the south got any shows in 2008 was because of the original Please Play the South Thread. We have to keep bumping this to the first page
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Looks like 2012 may be the year for the south, but then again it might not.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • themessengerthemessenger Posts: 1,320
    How about for us Southerners that are making the PJ20 Alpine trip an official "Play the South" tshirt to wear for the shows?
    How about for us Southerners that are making the PJ20 Alpine trip an official "Play the South" tshirt to wear for the shows?
    Count me in!!
    LukinFan wrote:
    No - we have to keep bumping. Plans are made far in advance of when they are announced. Just look at when Nelly first announced that it was going to be at Alpine - that was MONTHS ago. They've known about this for awhile - same thing with the Canada shows. I still truly believe that the reason the south got any shows in 2008 was because of the original Please Play the South Thread. We have to keep bumping this to the first page

What amazes me is that it has taken them 5 months to prep 12 shows... I know bands that would have that setup in 3 days.

at that rate if we keep bumping this thread we might get something in 2020...

(i know i'm back, that doesn't mean I've come to grips yet :P )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

What amazes me is that it has taken them 5 months to prep 12 shows... I know bands that would have that setup in 3 days.

at that rate if we keep bumping this thread we might get something in 2020...

(i know i'm back, that doesn't mean I've come to grips yet :P )
    Oh I agree 100% - you know they've been sitting on this info for at least 3-4 months. Why? I have no clue. I think the "no other US shows in 2011" is BS really. It's basically a way to make sure they will sell this thing out.

We'll get out shows in 2012 - we just have to keep bumping this thing to the top
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    ththbf-heartballoons-1.gifPLAY THE SOUTH!
    LukinFan wrote:
    Oh I agree 100% - you know they've been sitting on this info for at least 3-4 months. Why? I have no clue. I think the "no other US shows in 2011" is BS really. It's basically a way to make sure they will sell this thing out.

We'll get out shows in 2012 - we just have to keep bumping this thing to the top

I don't think they've been sitting on this for 3 or 4 months... if they were, the actual dates would have leaked sooner... none of the actualy dates for the Canadian shows were leaked until the last week or so... there is no way they would have stayed on the hush hush that long if they had been booked 3 or 4 months ago...

Personally it all looks like piss poor management to me, but that's just my opinion. Like I said, I know Entertainment lawyers that could have hammered out this tour in 2 or 3 days... there was no need for it to drag on for 5 months.
    shep wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

I don't think they've been sitting on this for 3 or 4 months... if they were, the actual dates would have leaked sooner... none of the actualy dates for the Canadian shows were leaked until the last week or so... there is no way they would have stayed on the hush hush that long if they had been booked 3 or 4 months ago...

Personally it all looks like piss poor management to me, but that's just my opinion. Like I said, I know Entertainment lawyers that could have hammered out this tour in 2 or 3 days... there was no need for it to drag on for 5 months.
    Very possible - well, I think PJ20 at Alpine has been locked for a few months now. Maybe they were just waiting for the Canadian tour to be locked in before announcing everything?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

pandora wrote:
    ththbf-heartballoons-1.gifPLAY THE SOUTH!

Hoping for next year!
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Very possible - well, I think PJ20 at Alpine has been locked for a few months now. Maybe they were just waiting for the Canadian tour to be locked in before announcing everything?

I guess, but there's nothing going on in these stadiums that time of year (with the exception of maybe the ACC) that should cause this hold up. I really just believe it's due to poor management. but again, just my personal belief.
    shep wrote:
    I guess, but there's nothing going on in these stadiums that time of year (with the exception of maybe the ACC) that should cause this hold up. I really just believe it's due to poor management. but again, just my personal belief.

I don't disagree, shep.

I find their model to be highly inefficient. But then again, I've never managed or worked for a world famous rock band, so maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Now that all info is out there, can we talk about which of us southern folk are planning to travel north to get our fix?

I'm planning for the PJ20 weekend and packing a nice flag from the great state of Florida.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this band and I'm happy for those getting to go to Alpine. However, since when in the hell is WI middle America? They must have taken a different geography class than I did. ;)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I give up. This is the only way I'm going to be able to see them so I'll be loading up the car and heading for cheese country. Planning on camping to defray the cost of driving, tickets, etc. May even do some fishing to try to defray the food costs. We'll see. May go with a "Play the South" poster.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    Houston & Dallas 2012

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I give up. This is the only way I'm going to be able to see them so I'll be loading up the car and heading for cheese country. Planning on camping to defray the cost of driving, tickets, etc. May even do some fishing to try to defray the food costs. We'll see. May go with a "Play the South" poster.

2sgn082goodpost.gifENJOY!!

PLAY THE SOUTH!!! 8-)
    Got the ACL email this morning - no Radiohead. Stevie Wonder is the main headliner, along with Arcade Fire and Kanye West. This is almost as disappointing as no PJ shows in the south. We will get Coldplay, Social Distortion, My Morning Jacket, and Brandi Carlile - all of which I would pay to see. But the cost of day passes is high and I couldn't care less about the Arcade Fire (I know, I'm crazy) and especially Kanye West. Stevie Wonder also holds little interest for me in terms of headlining the festival. What a bummer.

I've got the Avett Brothers in Houston on Friday night. At least I have that to look forward to.

play the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:

I don't disagree, shep.

I find their model to be highly inefficient. But then again, I've never managed or worked for a world famous rock band, so maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Now that all info is out there, can we talk about which of us southern folk are planning to travel north to get our fix?

I'm planning for the PJ20 weekend and packing a nice flag from the great state of Florida.

That got me thinking that I could bring a Texas one for the night I'm on the lawn