**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    shep wrote:
    Saw Wilco here in the south last night ... what a show! Absolutely amazing... I guess if I can't have pearl jam I got the next best thing!

saw them Sunday in Memphis.

They were great, if a tad bit rusty. Not really noticeable, but it was their first performance in about 6 months, Tweedy said.

new record is gonna be NICE!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Saw Wilco here in the south last night ... what a show! Absolutely amazing... I guess if I can't have pearl jam I got the next best thing!

They were great, if a tad bit rusty. Not really noticeable, but it was their first performance in about 6 months, Tweedy said.

It was my first time seeing them last night... been a fan for a long time. I was completely blown away. It was a lot more rocking than I was expecting. They kicked off the evening with a sickening version of ashes of american flags and kept the rock going for about 2 hours and 10 minutes.... Wow is all I can say... If that was them rusty I desperately want to see them when they are rehearsed.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:

It was my first time seeing them last night... been a fan for a long time. I was completely blown away. It was a lot more rocking than I was expecting. They kicked off the evening with a sickening version of ashes of american flags and kept the rock going for about 2 hours and 10 minutes.... Wow is all I can say... If that was them rusty I desperately want to see them when they are rehearsed.

I hesitated to use that word. It was my 8th Wilco show since 2005, and it's never a bad night w/ them. I only said 'rusty' because, having seen a few shows before, there are certain cues or nuances that I thought were the slightest bit clunky. Otherwise, they were stellar!

Ashes seems to be the tour opener this little go-round. It works very well. Hoodoo Voodoo in the encore was great, too. Because it was Memphis, we were fortunate to get Jody Stephens (drummer from Big Star) playing drums on "In the Streets" as our closer.

I got to meet 3 of the current line-up after their Tallahassee show in 2006. Didn't know it at the time, but the bassist actually worked for my aunt once upon a time. She even sang harmonies w/ him @ his solo gigs when he was trying to get started in a music career.

Great band. Great live band. And, to the point of this thread, a great live band that hasn't forgotten its fans in any corner of its home-land.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:
    bands come to the south???? :o :shock: But why? No one buys tickets in the south :roll:

just bought tickets to the Avett Brothers show in Houston on May 20th - love those guys, can't wait.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:

Wilco's playing tonight in Denton --- in a very small auditorium! Tickets just dropped on TM, but I can't go :(
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:
    bands come to the south???? :o :shock: But why? No one buys tickets in the south :roll:

just bought tickets to the Avett Brothers show in Houston on May 20th - love those guys, can't wait.

nice! we're going to the October show in Dallas.

Dear PJ,
    Lots of music fans down here. Please play here.

Regards,
    Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Better Dan wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:

Wilco's playing tonight in Denton --- in a very small auditorium! Tickets just dropped on TM, but I can't go :(

That's too bad man, you're missing out bigtime.
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:

My buddy wants to get some tickets to that show... thinking about it...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Keeping it on page 1

PLAY THE SOUTH!
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    The SOUTH! Play it!

Love & Kisses from Atlanta!
    shep wrote:

DO IT!

Avett Bros played immediately before Wilco last Sunday. It was our 2nd time seeing them.

Extremely FUN live show. Not to be missed.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    more trouble for the Mid-South & River Delta:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/ ... 2I20110508

damn.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    the south...play it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    mfc2006 wrote:

nice! we're going to the October show in Dallas.

Sweet man. I love the Avett Brothers. Caught the tail end of their set at ACL in 2009 and went right out and bought I and Love and You. Been listening to them ever since. Great band.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

shep wrote:

You should grab tickets if you can. Avett Brothers are great.

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Another postcard from the South-->
    we%20miss%20you%20postcards.jpg
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Please play the South this October.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Please play the South this October.
    :thumbup:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    bump for the south. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    If all the redneck Jesus freaks get raptured like they are predicting on May 21st the South will be a wonderful place to tour ;-) Ya'll come back now, ya hear??
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    shep wrote:

You should grab tickets if you can. Avett Brothers are great.

Also thinking about getting tickets to that show. Maybe I'll see several of you guys there.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:

DO IT!

Avett Bros played immediately before Wilco last Sunday. It was our 2nd time seeing them.

Extremely FUN live show. Not to be missed.

Probably will... only problem is that my buddy that wants to go was the one that bailed on my last second Friday before the Wilco show... Don't know how much faith I can put in him to show up considering he's got a young kid (~2) and wifey is pregnant with the second.... If I can get someone else I know on the hook, I'll probably be there...
    play the south

shep wrote:

Probably will... only problem is that my buddy that wants to go was the one that bailed on my last second Friday before the Wilco show... Don't know how much faith I can put in him to show up considering he's got a young kid (~2) and wifey is pregnant with the second.... If I can get someone else I know on the hook, I'll probably be there...
    If it's a band that you really want to see, buy the tickets and if he bails, just go to the show solo and sell the extra at the door. Happened to be for the Band of Horses show a few weeks ago - a buddy of mine bailed on me about 30 min before we were going to leave - he pulled his back. Really sucked, but once I got there, I had the time of my life. I'm done missing shows just because no one wants to go
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• its just gishits just gish Posts: 880
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:

If it's a band that you really want to see, buy the tickets and if he bails, just go to the show solo and sell the extra at the door. Happened to be for the Band of Horses show a few weeks ago - a buddy of mine bailed on me about 30 min before we were going to leave - he pulled his back. Really sucked, but once I got there, I had the time of my life. I'm done missing shows just because no one wants to go

I think I need to move to Dallas or Houston.. hardly anyone worthwhile ever comes to San Antonio!
    houston please

play the south

shep wrote:
    Keeping it on page 1

PLAY THE SOUTH!
  • its just gishits just gish Posts: 880
    shep wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Keeping it on page 1

PLAY THE SOUTH!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    houston 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    play the south