**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    play the south
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Now...there might be one reason for skipping Atlanta, IIRC. I was not aware of it at the time because it was not related to a concert, and I was out of the country in Italy at the time it would have hit the news here in town....But I think that I read somewhere that when they were recording/mixing or whatever in Atlanta in 2009, one of the guys (Jeff, I think - it's been a while and my memory sucks) got mugged or something downtown. I'm fuzzy on the details - I can't even remember where I read it or even if it was a reliable source. But if true, I could appreciate a possible reluctance to come back here. I mean, every city has it's share of street crime...but it takes on special meaning if it happens to you in a place.

Jeff was mugged in Atlanta in 2009. I'm pretty sure they've done mixing/recording with Brendan O'Brien there on recent releases.

I believe he mentioned in an online chat w/ ESPN earlier this year that his sister lives in Atlanta. And we also know that Mike had relatives in the Tampa/St. Pete area (from a shout-out at Tampa 2003 show).

Their connections to family and friends in the south are established. It would also seem that their connections to the south include the payouts @ Bonnaroo, JazzFest, & ACLFest.

The missing link in the equation is their connections to fans in the major cities of the south.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Now...there might be one reason for skipping Atlanta, IIRC. I was not aware of it at the time because it was not related to a concert, and I was out of the country in Italy at the time it would have hit the news here in town....But I think that I read somewhere that when they were recording/mixing or whatever in Atlanta in 2009, one of the guys (Jeff, I think - it's been a while and my memory sucks) got mugged or something downtown. I'm fuzzy on the details - I can't even remember where I read it or even if it was a reliable source. But if true, I could appreciate a possible reluctance to come back here. I mean, every city has it's share of street crime...but it takes on special meaning if it happens to you in a place.

Jeff was mugged in Atlanta in 2009. I'm pretty sure they've done mixing/recording with Brendan O'Brien there on recent releases.

I believe he mentioned in an online chat w/ ESPN earlier this year that his sister lives in Atlanta. And we also know that Mike had relatives in the Tampa/St. Pete area (from a shout-out at Tampa 2003 show).

Their connections to family and friends in the south are established. It would also seem that their connections to the south include the payouts @ Bonnaroo, JazzFest, & ACLFest.

The missing link in the equation is their connections to fans in the major cities of the south.

I thought BoB said on PJ Radio that he doesn't use that studio anymore in ATL because it has a new owner or something like that. I could be wrong though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• shepshep Posts: 5,759
    rhinomagic wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:

Well that studio in Atlanta is where Backspacer was either recorded or mixed... so there is clearly some kind of tie to the south there...

I like you're analysis there... Don't understand why their connections to fans in the south would be any different then their connections to fans in the north... all perceptions I guess....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    LukinFan wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:

I thought BoB said on PJ Radio that he doesn't use that studio anymore in ATL because it has a new owner or something like that. I could be wrong though

I missed that interview. I know they mixed some of the greatest hits album there & USA Today reported PJ was recording in Atlanta at the time of the mugging.

It's entirely possible O'Brien no longer uses the studio, as the incident was 2 years ago.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I won't even hazard a guess as to what's going with the lack of attention given to the South anymore.

It only concerns me because I used to live in NY (where they played a lot) and since I've moved down here I have noticed that it's a real problem for the people that live down here! It doesn't seem fair and it alienates potentially good and loyal fans. :geek:

Maybe it's all about money or maybe it's something entirely irrational that we can't even guess?! :shock:

I'm hoping they'll surprise us and stop here when they go down to South America in the Fall. 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Judging by the rumors (Canada and South America) and the way the Soundgarden tour played out, I wouldn't bet on it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    please play the south
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

• its just gishits just gish Posts: 880
    justam wrote:
    I won't even hazard a guess as to what's going with the lack of attention given to the South anymore.

It only concerns me because I used to live in NY (where they played a lot) and since I've moved down here I have noticed that it's a real problem for the people that live down here! It doesn't seem fair and it alienates potentially good and loyal fans. :geek:

Maybe it's all about money or maybe it's something entirely irrational that we can't even guess?! :shock:

I'm hoping they'll surprise us and stop here when they go down to South America in the Fall. 8-)

I think we're all hoping they do that, hell I could even wait until Spring 2012 if it was certain they would come down here. I really hope it's something irrational, and they do know how long it has been since Ed mentioned it at ACL, and got the most deserving response to that, I think. Whatever their reason, it really has alienated a lot of us.
    houston

houston

4th biggest city in the US.... with 2 other major cities of almost equal population (Dallas and San Antonio) within 4 hours drive...

18 Million people within about 300 miles..... and you really think you'd have trouble selling out 2 or 3 shows in this area??

PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    shep wrote:
    houston

4th biggest city in the US.... with 2 other major cities of almost equal population (Dallas and San Antonio) within 4 hours drive...

18 Million people within about 300 miles..... and you really think you'd have trouble selling out 2 or 3 shows in this area??

PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH!

Well put! :)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    play the south
  • dgerlach720dgerlach720 Posts: 158
    I'm making my wish/bet now (AND HOPING IT COMES TRUE)..... two festival shows in Florida:

One stop at Langerado and the next at Deluna Fest in Pensacola..... this is based on no fact, rumor, friend of the band, cousin of the band, etc. Just a hunch

Plus I'm betting we will hear something after either the ACL or Langerado announcement (5/17 or 6/1)
    shep wrote:
    houston

PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH!

Give 'em hell, shep. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:
    houston

PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH!

Give 'em hell, shep. ;)

:mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

rhinomagic wrote:
    shep wrote:
    houston

PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH!

Give 'em hell, shep. ;)

Well, when are we going to start getting angry?? ;)
  • JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245
    shep wrote:
    So, I have to ask:

Does anyone else that lives in the south take this boycott as a complete show of disrespect to PJ's own fans on behalf of the band?

Cause I'm starting to feel that way about it, and it's starting to change how I feel about this band as a whole. As much as I love their music, to treat fans that have made you millions upon millions dollars in this manner shows me that it's no longer about us...

I mean when it comes down to it, this band always likes to talk about how their live shows are everything, but what does really mean when the band only tours 3 weeks of the year and refuses to play shows in some of the most populous areas of their own country?

I pretty much totally agree with this post. I'm in Atlanta and we haven't had a local PJ show since 03. Since then I've traveled to Washington D.C (03 & 06), Kissimmeee, FL (04), Asheville, NC (04), Cincinnati, OH (06), San Francisco (06), Chicago, Il (07 & 09), Columbia, SC (08) & Virginia Beach, VA (08) to see shows and, frankly, I'm just not feeling the desire to travel and shell out tons of money to see the band anymore. I hate it, though, because PJ's been my absolute favorite band for 20 years, but that's just how I feel right now. I'm sure as soon as they announce some shows that are even remotely do-able for me, I'll change my mind and hit the road again like an abused lover who just keeps going back :)

Sorry if this post seems extra whiny, but I just wanted to get this off my chest in a thread where I think there are probably a few sympathizers. The two Vedder solo shows in Atlanta in June 09 were great, though, so I have to give him (or his tour router) credit for that.
    houston & dallas please

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Florida... :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    thPrettyPleaseCherry.gif
    PLAY ATLANTA!!!
    play the south

Florida... :)

Hey Dimi - I heard the repeat of last weeks AET on Sirius yesterday... got to hear your story, nice call in.

BTW - how does it feel to know you're famous amongst the 10C staff for "Why now you don't bitching???" :lol:
    Bump for the South!
    I LOVE seeing this almost always on the 1st page lately - everyone, please keep it up! They can't ignore us forever
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Texas!

• cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    JH57554 wrote:
    shep wrote:
    So, I have to ask:

Does anyone else that lives in the south take this boycott as a complete show of disrespect to PJ's own fans on behalf of the band?

Cause I'm starting to feel that way about it, and it's starting to change how I feel about this band as a whole. As much as I love their music, to treat fans that have made you millions upon millions dollars in this manner shows me that it's no longer about us...

I mean when it comes down to it, this band always likes to talk about how their live shows are everything, but what does really mean when the band only tours 3 weeks of the year and refuses to play shows in some of the most populous areas of their own country?

I pretty much totally agree with this post. I'm in Atlanta and we haven't had a local PJ show since 03. Since then I've traveled to Washington D.C (03 & 06), Kissimmeee, FL (04), Asheville, NC (04), Cincinnati, OH (06), San Francisco (06), Chicago, Il (07 & 09), Columbia, SC (08) & Virginia Beach, VA (08) to see shows and, frankly, I'm just not feeling the desire to travel and shell out tons of money to see the band anymore. I hate it, though, because PJ's been my absolute favorite band for 20 years, but that's just how I feel right now. I'm sure as soon as they announce some shows that are even remotely do-able for me, I'll change my mind and hit the road again like an abused lover who just keeps going back :)

Sorry if this post seems extra whiny, but I just wanted to get this off my chest in a thread where I think there are probably a few sympathizers. The two Vedder solo shows in Atlanta in June 09 were great, though, so I have to give him (or his tour router) credit for that.

I think it's ridiculous that they've only played three concerts in the second-most populous state in the entire country in the last 10 years (unless the concert listings on the tour page lied to me). Not everyone in the South is a redneck who thinks the golden age of music began with Lynyrd Skynyrd and ended with Toby Keith.

The only thing that bugs me more than that is the fact that whenever you bring that up in any other thread, a bunch of assholes from New York or Massachusetts (where they've played 25 times in that same span, and that's not even counting the shows in New Jersey or Philadelphia) respond with "If you were a real fan you'd travel to see them!"

Not all "real fans" have the time and money to follow a band around the country... some of us have to wait for the band to come to us. And wait. And wait. And wait...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    LukinFan wrote:
    I LOVE seeing this almost always on the 1st page lately - everyone, please keep it up! They can't ignore us forever

Haha. We will see...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    thbf-HELP.gif

We need Pearl Jam in the South!!! :P