**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    get to work yo

Psh. I get paid to Google people. And I've hit my quota for the week. And it's not beer Friday today. What else am I supposed to do?

well you could meet in houston for tha free sublime gig tonight or KINGS OF LEON FREE GIG TOMORROW NIGHT my bads on on caps ,,,,hey did you see who all has ACL Tapings coming up this month, my phone is not working right now it went swimming with me the other day,,iphone salt water bad idea lol[/quote]

I got Chris Cornell tickets at the Paramount tonight.[/quote]

oh yeah thats right have fun at that one,, see Other bands dont forget about tha SOUTH

But hey we need more info on this PJ 20yr bash tour so we can book it already but Preston an Courtney def in
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    get to work yo

Psh. I get paid to Google people. And I've hit my quota for the week. And it's not beer Friday today. What else am I supposed to do?

well you could meet in houston for tha free sublime gig tonight or KINGS OF LEON FREE GIG TOMORROW NIGHT my bads on on caps ,,,,hey did you see who all has ACL Tapings coming up this month, my phone is not working right now it went swimming with me the other day,,iphone salt water bad idea lol[/quote]

Let me know how that goes! I have tickets for the gig tomorrow night here in Houston.... My secret hope is that the rest of SG turns up at the venue..... but I know that's being extremely optimistic ...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • luv-ed91luv-ed91 Posts: 215
    South :wave: :wave:

We're still here...
    -- If I had known then, what I know now . . .

8/31/98 - Raleigh
    8/4/00 - Charlotte
    4/16/03 - Charlotte
    10/6/04 - Asheville
    6/16/08 - Columbia
    6/20/09 - EV Memphis
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I have to admit I was hoping EV would play Ryman. I was going to travel to that if I was lucky enough to get tickets.

Wow, I'm impressed a post where you're not shitting all over everyone. I figured if you posted in here it would be to tell us you quit trying for shows in the south cause they'll never happen...

img-clapping.jpg

I don't shit on anyone, that's a false reputation. Not to mention my in laws live in Myrtle Beach. :D I'm a big proponent of the south. As you can see I've seen enough shows in the south to be accepted as a native. hahahahaha
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,754
    my super deluxe just landed in Austin...now the band should follow. or ed. i'll take what i can get down here.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    I'm glad Ed could add more shows in the NE and out west - but not even one damn show for the south :roll:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    LukinFan wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:

Carbon emissions is a very interesting angle on this band's touring patterns & the apparent expectation of their fans to get to the northeast, upper midwest, and west coast to see them play.

Maybe the band/crew vehicles are clean as a whistle, but what about the cars/vans/planes and other modes used by thousands of fans to follow them from city to city?

Does the PJ camp feel any responsibility for this? Not saying they should...just asking.

Getting excited for the BoH show next Sunday? :mrgreen:

damn right we are.

if Pearl Jam won't play nearby, we will go to see the bands that do.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    my super deluxe just landed in Austin...now the band should follow. or ed. i'll take what i can get down here.
    Saw Mike and Jeff at south by on the 19th
    rhinomagic wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:

Carbon emissions is a very interesting angle on this band's touring patterns & the apparent expectation of their fans to get to the northeast, upper midwest, and west coast to see them play.

Maybe the band/crew vehicles are clean as a whistle, but what about the cars/vans/planes and other modes used by thousands of fans to follow them from city to city?

Does the PJ camp feel any responsibility for this? Not saying they should...just asking.

damn right we are.

exactly - should be a killer show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• OK, I'm in Jersey and even I think its getting ridiculous. Just play the fucking south!
    rhinomagic wrote:

The thing that I don't get is if they are not touring the south due to the proximity between venues and it resulting in higher carbon emissions (yes, I will admit that major cities are a little farther apart down here) - how can they justify a tour that covers the east and west coast? Yes, the band can fly, but I am willing to bet that the gear doesn't. Air freight for that sort of thing is expensive as sin.

So if the gear has to travel across the country by truck, why not stop and play places in between to make trip more carbon efficient? On the Ed tour for example, there are a lot of places between Minneapolis and San Diego that I'm sure deserve a show, so why truck all the gear straight on through? Why not stop and play?

I've not studied it, but I do believe their ground vehicles are fueled by bio-diesel whenever possible. Seems this was brought to the fore when they launched their zero carbon initiatives. It was about the same time they went cross-country in Canada and then to South America in '05.

Don't know if that helps or hurts the case, but it's there for consideration.

I've never heard the PJ camp play that card as a reason not to tour extensively through here anymore. I'd be interested to see if they have, but I take it as a guess on our part as to why we get avoided.

Mostly, I just think they've gone the way of so many artists that have hotbeds of fans and guaranteed paydays in certain areas. Why budge from those pillars of your business? Personally, I wouldn't make that huge departure from my norm if the business models didn't demand it.

Doesn't mean I don't want them to play closer to me. Just attempting to see it objectively.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,754
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'm glad Ed could add more shows in the NE and out west - but not even one damn show for the south :roll:

no kidding! i was feeling bad for all those people for all the time they spent on the pre-sales. :roll:
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    play the damn south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

damn right we are.

exactly - should be a killer show

I'm a bit concerned that we're seeing them on night 3 of a 4-night swing.

When we saw them on Halloween weekend in Atlanta, it was the final show of the tour (and a bit of a homecoming show, at that). I felt like they kinda went all-out for that one.

Hoping Sunday proves me wrong. I will enjoy myself immensely, even if they are a little road-weary.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • They even record in Atlanta sometimes. Play the South!
  • get to work yo

well you could meet in houston for tha free sublime gig tonight or KINGS OF LEON FREE GIG TOMORROW NIGHT my bads on on caps ,,,,hey did you see who all has ACL Tapings coming up this month, my phone is not working right now it went swimming with me the other day,,iphone salt water bad idea lol

Let me know how that goes! I have tickets for the gig tomorrow night here in Houston.... My secret hope is that the rest of SG turns up at the venue..... but I know that's being extremely optimistic ...[/quote]

Will do!
    LukinFan wrote:

LMAO!! :lol:

DITTO!!!

8/31/98 - Raleigh
    8/4/00 - Charlotte
    4/16/03 - Charlotte
    10/6/04 - Asheville
    6/16/08 - Columbia
    6/20/09 - EV Memphis
    OK, I'm in Jersey and even I think its getting ridiculous. Just play the fucking south!

Thank you :clap::clap:

At least someone has some love for the south!!! :D

8/31/98 - Raleigh
    8/4/00 - Charlotte
    4/16/03 - Charlotte
    10/6/04 - Asheville
    6/16/08 - Columbia
    6/20/09 - EV Memphis
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    just 1 show Ed? just 1.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
    rhinomagic wrote:

I've not studied it, but I do believe their ground vehicles are fueled by bio-diesel whenever possible. Seems this was brought to the fore when they launched their zero carbon initiatives. It was about the same time they went cross-country in Canada and then to South America in '05.

Don't know if that helps or hurts the case, but it's there for consideration.

I've never heard the PJ camp play that card as a reason not to tour extensively through here anymore. I'd be interested to see if they have, but I take it as a guess on our part as to why we get avoided.

Mostly, I just think they've gone the way of so many artists that have hotbeds of fans and guaranteed paydays in certain areas. Why budge from those pillars of your business? Personally, I wouldn't make that huge departure from my norm if the business models didn't demand it.

Doesn't mean I don't want them to play closer to me. Just attempting to see it objectively.

I have a serious issue with bio-diesel versus regular hydrocarbons, which i stated a couple of pages back. The technology to refine bio-diesel from foodstuffs is not very efficient. Foodstuffs need to be used to feed starving people, not refined to make bio-friendly diesel. In my opinion, if you're using bio-diesel you're essentially saying that protecting the environment is more important than millions of starving people in Africa, and I have issues with that (however I recognize that most people won't agree with my logic). When the technology to make fuel from foodstuffs is more efficient, then yes, i will get behind it, but for now.... not a chance.

I also don't follow how you would consider major cities in the south to not be hotbeds. Several of PJ's contemporaries (by contemporaries I mean bands from the early 90's era) tour through here on every tour and clearly don't lose money on it, why else would they keep doing it? Metallica, Foo Fighters, RHCP, and Tool to name a few never skip the south, and do great "business" here....

(please don't take offense to the above, I'm just presenting the logical counter debate - I mean no ill will by it).
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    PLAY THE SOUTH everybody else is doing it!
    rhinomagic wrote:

I'm a bit concerned that we're seeing them on night 3 of a 4-night swing.

When we saw them on Halloween weekend in Atlanta, it was the final show of the tour (and a bit of a homecoming show, at that). I felt like they kinda went all-out for that one.

Hoping Sunday proves me wrong. I will enjoy myself immensely, even if they are a little road-weary.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but I have a feeling that they'll bring it. Hey, it's a local show - can't get much better than that! :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

PLAY THE SOUTH everybody else is doing it!
  • dgerlach720dgerlach720 Posts: 158
    miami/wpb and a little tampa por favor (and throw in some texas b/c they deserve it too)
  • The best recorded Pearl Jam show I know about was recorded in Atlanta. Play The South!

I have a serious issue with bio-diesel versus regular hydrocarbons, which i stated a couple of pages back. The technology to refine bio-diesel from foodstuffs is not very efficient. Foodstuffs need to be used to feed starving people, not refined to make bio-friendly diesel. In my opinion, if you're using bio-diesel you're essentially saying that protecting the environment is more important than millions of starving people in Africa, and I have issues with that (however I recognize that most people won't agree with my logic). When the technology to make fuel from foodstuffs is more efficient, then yes, i will get behind it, but for now.... not a chance.

I also don't follow how you would consider major cities in the south to not be hotbeds. Several of PJ's contemporaries (by contemporaries I mean bands from the early 90's era) tour through here on every tour and clearly don't lose money on it, why else would they keep doing it? Metallica, Foo Fighters, RHCP, and Tool to name a few never skip the south, and do great "business" here....

(please don't take offense to the above, I'm just presenting the logical counter debate - I mean no ill will by it).

I feel you there. As I said, I have not studied the efficiency of said alternative fuel. Only noting that I think they have attempted to use it. I would give credit for searching solutions outside of octane or jet fuel, but I'm sure each solution creates its own unique set of problems.

As for concentration of fanbase, I'm just not that convinced Ten Club members or rabid PJ fans are as easy to find in the Sun Belt as in the more heavily populated regions they seem to tour so often. This is only based on anecdotal evidence, but (besides our pal LukinFan) I never run into PJ fans in north Florida. Don't see stickers on cars, posts on message boards, t-shirts on backs. Maybe 10C could provide a distribution map of North America, showing concentration of fan club members as empirical data for us.

I just think they cast a wide net in the cities they normally play due to how many local 10C members are there (northeast, upper midwest, pacific coast) AND the willingness of the rest of us to travel there on occasion. Several thousand birds w/ one Stone, as it were.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:

I feel you there. As I said, I have not studied the efficiency of said alternative fuel. Only noting that I think they have attempted to use it. I would give credit for searching solutions outside of octane or jet fuel, but I'm sure each solution creates its own unique set of problems.

As for concentration of fanbase, I'm just not that convinced Ten Club members or rabid PJ fans are as easy to find in the Sun Belt as in the more heavily populated regions they seem to tour so often. This is only based on anecdotal evidence, but (besides our pal LukinFan) I never run into PJ fans in north Florida. Don't see stickers on cars, posts on message boards, t-shirts on backs. Maybe 10C could provide a distribution map of North America, showing concentration of fan club members as empirical data for us.

I just think they cast a wide net in the cities they normally play due to how many local 10C members are there (northeast, upper midwest, pacific coast) AND the willingness of the rest of us to travel there on occasion. Several thousand birds w/ one Stone, as it were.

It would be very interesting to see the distribution of 10C members on a map.... I would venture to guess you're right, the highest concentration is in the northeast united states, but if there is a lack of members in the south I would say that it as a result of the band not touring the south. Most people I know as a whole down here are frugal with they're money. They're not going to pay membership fees year after year if there's no tour... cause let's face it, most people only join clubs like this for tickets.

I would say that it's probably a deliberate result of PJ's touring schedule over the previous 10 years that would show a skew in the distribution..... because I can gaurentee you if pearl jam played Houston, TX, they would have absolutely no problem to sell out either the Toyota Center or The Woodlands pavillion (both around 18,000 people), regardless of how many 10C members show up.
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    because I can gaurentee you if pearl jam played Houston, TX, they would have absolutely no problem to sell out either the Toyota Center or The Woodlands pavillion (both around 18,000 people), regardless of how many 10C members show up.

Exactly, just like they did in 2000 and 2003 right before they mysteriously stopped coming down here. I don't buy the argument that there aren't enough fans/club members down here to warrant any shows. All 3 Texas shows in 2003 were packed and intense. Hell, they played Lubbock in 2000 and that place is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Their only return to this state since 2003 was Austin City Limits in '09 and there were 75,000 people in ankle deep mud screaming like crazy for them. It's not a lack of demand. Sure, there's a bigger concentration of fans in the northeast, but how does that justify completely ignoring huge numbers of fans in many of the southern regions for the better part of a decade? It's just strange, for lack of a better word.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all