**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    I have no interest in seeing Eddie solo but as soon as I saw the announcement and before I scrolled down enough to see the dates, I knew there would be no TX shows. Eddie not coming here just continues the trend of either he nor the band playing down here. I'm really surprised they actually came to ACL.

I don't get to listen to that AET Sirius show but has anyone ever called in to ask about their lack of shows in the South?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I don't know for sure
    but I had heard it had to do with tour buses
    and the lack of alternate fuel available in the South
    don't know if that is at all true

I didn't think he'd be coming this way right now but he will in the next couple years
    I'm sure.

and PJ will return too

its been 8 years for Alpine Valley too and look what they might be getting 8-)

Keep the faith, travel if you can, enjoy the music!

and remember .... PJ time flies!

it'll be no time at all till they are in our neck of the woods again :D
  • pjrusspjruss Posts: 494
    I'm holding out hope that although EV isn't playing down here, hopefully PJ will later in the year.

That's with my heart. My brain is saying there's no way that's happening. Unless they play S Florida as a warm up for possible S America shows.... I'm not holding my breath though.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039

I don't get to listen to that AET Sirius show but has anyone ever called in to ask about their lack of shows in the South?
    yeah, the topic came up a few times, but Tim really doesn't give a good answer. He blames it on the sports team in the city, other events going on at a particular venue in the city, Jeff wanting to see certain sites in certain cities, etc... Nothing about lack of ticket sales or the band not liking the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • arqarq Posts: 7,980
    LukinFan wrote:

yeah, the topic came up a few times, but Tim really doesn't give a good answer. He blames it on the sports team in the city, other events going on at a particular venue in the city, Jeff wanting to see certain sites in certain cities, etc... Nothing about lack of ticket sales or the band not liking the south

But the cities they hit are the ones more complicated to arrange something, here in the south there's nothing happening... and jeff wanting to see certain sites is kind of a weak answer like he can travel by himself :(
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    arq wrote:
    and jeff wanting to see certain sites is kind of a weak answer like he can travel by himself :(
    Oh, I'm right there with you on that Jose - all of the answers given were very weak
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    LukinFan wrote:
    arq wrote:
    and jeff wanting to see certain sites is kind of a weak answer like he can travel by himself :(
    Oh, I'm right there with you on that Jose - all of the answers given were very weak

They just don't want to play the south its as simple as that. Since they've last played here (2003) here they've played Canada, South America (rumored to go back again), Europe 4 times, Australia 2 times, and the rest of the country multiple times. They aren't coming here guys. No matter how many times we post in this thread, call AET, or whatever..it just isn't going to happen!

When almost every other major and minor act comes through here every time they tour it's really disappointing that our favorite band continues to ignore many of its fans.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    arq wrote:

They just don't want to play the south its as simple as that. Since they've last played here (2003) here they've played Canada, South America (rumored to go back again), Europe 4 times, Australia 2 times, and the rest of the country multiple times. They aren't coming here guys. No matter how many times we post in this thread, call AET, or whatever..it just isn't going to happen!

When almost every other major and minor act comes through here every time they tour it's really disappointing that our favorite band continues to ignore many of its fans.
    :cry:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    My membership came up for renewal in December, and I actually waited a good 2 months before I actually paid for the extension, and I was hesitating because of stuff like this, but I figured I should go ahead and keep it going because you never know with the big year ahead what could happen.

I guarantee you, I GUARANTEE that when they do another proper tour, whether it's this year or next year for the new albm, it will be the same ol shit. Start in the northeast, hit the big stops across the north, and down the west coast. Followed by Europe and Oz.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    pjruss wrote:
    I'm holding out hope that although EV isn't playing down here, hopefully PJ will later in the year.

That's with my heart. My brain is saying there's no way that's happening. Unless they play S Florida as a warm up for possible S America shows.... I'm not holding my breath though.

Well, I'm with you man. I have a feeling that the next time they tour the U.S. that they'll hit Atlana at least, and I really hope WPB and Tampa. They seem to really like the FLA shows when they finally make it here.. and they do get near capacity I think.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    ^^^^^^^^^^ right, right. (circlesdown)
    um, what is SPAC? I must be invisible because nobody is answering me on other threads.

I guarantee you, I GUARANTEE that when they do another proper tour, whether it's this year or next year for the new albm, it will be the same ol shit. Start in the northeast, hit the big stops across the north, and down the west coast. Followed by Europe and Oz.
    exactly
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    LukinFan wrote:

exactly
    God, let's hope this isnt the case
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    LukinFan wrote:

exactly
    God, let's hope this isnt the case
    We can hope, but you know it is.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    LukinFan wrote:

Is it the lack of a sports team or the interference of a sports team? PJ played right next door to the world series in Philly and also the Eagles were playing in town that same weekend. I surely hope he is not claiming the teams are interfering. That would be a good laugh. If you happen to read the Deep magazine they send out there were even pictures of some of the band members hooping it up at the world series. It didn't seem to be burdening them too much. I just think they don't like the south--it's hot in the summer and nobody tours in the winter.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    whatever way they want to chop it up, it's bullshit.

It's much easier to book an indoor stadium in most southern cities... think about it. all the northen stadium venues have Hockey and Basketball teams.... some even have Lacrosse... but in the south it's only basketball to contend with (in most cities)... sure some of the stadiums have AHL teams, but they move that shit around all the time...

I don't really know what to say. i'm very disheartened... I figured EV would at least go to Austin, I mean they seemed like they had such a blast at ACL in 09 that they would swing back through there... I mean it's the live music capital of this country...

none of it makes any sense...
    pandora wrote:
    I don't know for sure

if that is a actually true, it's horseshit.... they fly to Australia and Europe don't they? Airplane fuel is one of the most highly refined (and therefore most pollution and wastage heavy) fuels to make... and don't kid yourselves... I guarantee you the trucks and buses that power their tours are diesel powered like everyone elses.... I live in DT houston and there are 4 places that sell diesel (that I know of) that are within 5 minutes of my house....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    I'm going to bump this until I get a show or a real explanation from someone close with PJ about why they want to alienate their fanbase by ignoring us.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    YO lets all bump this thread til it becomes the thread with the most pages ,

PLAY THE SOUTH

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

It's much easier to book an indoor stadium in most southern cities... think about it. all the northen stadium venues have Hockey and Basketball teams.... some even have Lacrosse... but in the south it's only basketball to contend with (in most cities)... sure some of the stadiums have AHL teams, but they move that shit around all the time...

I don't really know what to say. i'm very disheartened... I figured EV would at least go to Austin, I mean they seemed like they had such a blast at ACL in 09 that they would swing back through there... I mean it's the live music capital of this country...

pandora wrote:
    I don't know for sure

if that is a actually true, it's horseshit.... they fly to Australia and Europe don't they? Airplane fuel is one of the most highly refined (and therefore most pollution and wastage heavy) fuels to make... and don't kid yourselves... I guarantee you the trucks and buses that power their tours are diesel powered like everyone elses.... I live in DT houston and there are 4 places that sell diesel (that I know of) that are within 5 minutes of my house....
    no I do think their tour buses run on that new alternate fuel but this was something I read here in a post quite awhile back but as I said I can't confirm if its true

Yes they fly all over... most people do even those who are heavy into the environment.

When EV came out with his Into The Wild cd he did the coasts

then the Midwest

then the South

He will be back to promote his new cd and spread the love to us too.

I really believe the guys do not choose where they go..I think they are told and it is arranged
    but thats just my thought. I'm hoping he might promote on late night TV
    so I can DVR and keep :D

I will maybe try for St Louie tix..we've never been and have always wanted to go
    We had a blast in KC last year ...love me the midwest homeland
    but tix will be tough to get so then I may have to sit this one out
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176

pandora wrote:
    I don't know for sure

AUSTIN SHOW I WAS 13 AT THE FIRST 27 AT THE 2ND one an still 27 at the 3rd since it was next night
    is was 15 yrs for Austin to get a 2nd show
    but i agree i think they hate the south
    just saying i have spent over 10k easily

traveling to see PJ

pandi hope your weekend is great
    pandora wrote:
    no I do think their tour buses run on that new alternate fuel but this was something I read here in a post quite awhile back but as I said I can't confirm if its true

Yes they fly all over... most people do even those who are heavy into the environment.

then the Midwest

then the South

I really believe the guys do not choose where they go..I think they are told and it is arranged

I will maybe try for St Louie tix..we've never been and have always wanted to go

I hope you're right.

I just find it hard to swallow that people who are "environmentalists" can hop on a plane so often and think nothing of it. The production of airline fuel is a very refinement heavy process that does have a lot of wastage and pollution.

I would be curious to know how their buses/trucks run if that is the case. Diesel burns very clean compared to gasoline, and i don't know what other alternative fuels they would use... I will say that ethanol made from foodstuffs is not a good thing... the technology is not refined enough for it to be good for the world. The amount of corn it takes to fill a converted semi tank once could feed thousands of people in Africa for a day, so is saving the environment more important than people's lives?

Good luck on St. Louis... I actually thought about making that trip from Texas, but unfortunately I've already committed to going to Canada to meet up with my brother in Toronto for Canada day weekend... one of our friends bands is going to take the national stage alongside of the Tragically Hip and Weezer, so we want to go show them our support (even though there will be like 80,000 people there anyway :lol: )
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    pandora wrote:

then the Midwest

then the South

I hope you're right.

I just find it hard to swallow that people who are "environmentalists" can hop on a plane so often and think nothing of it. The production of airline fuel is a very refinement heavy process that does have a lot of wastage and pollution.

I would be curious to know how their buses/trucks run if that is the case. Diesel burns very clean compared to gasoline, and i don't know what other alternative fuels they would use... I will say that ethanol made from foodstuffs is not a good thing... the technology is not refined enough for it to be good for the world. The amount of corn it takes to fill a converted semi tank once could feed thousands of people in Africa for a day, so is saving the environment more important than people's lives?

Good luck on St. Louis... I actually thought about making that trip from Texas, but unfortunately I've already committed to going to Canada to meet up with my brother in Toronto for Canada day weekend... one of our friends bands is going to take the national stage alongside of the Tragically Hip and Weezer, so we want to go show them our support (even though there will be like 80,000 people there anyway :lol: )

Carbon emissions is a very interesting angle on this band's touring patterns & the apparent expectation of their fans to get to the northeast, upper midwest, and west coast to see them play.

Maybe the band/crew vehicles are clean as a whistle, but what about the cars/vans/planes and other modes used by thousands of fans to follow them from city to city?

Does the PJ camp feel any responsibility for this? Not saying they should...just asking.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024

Is it the lack of a sports team or the interference of a sports team? PJ played right next door to the world series in Philly and also the Eagles were playing in town that same weekend. I surely hope he is not claiming the teams are interfering. That would be a good laugh. If you happen to read the Deep magazine they send out there were even pictures of some of the band members hooping it up at the world series. It didn't seem to be burdening them too much. I just think they don't like the south--it's hot in the summer and nobody tours in the winter.
    if I remember correctly, he was saying that the sports team may be playing in the arena that they want to use that particular night, so they have to go to a city close by - they used Orlando to Tampa as an example.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Hey Ed, we still exist down here. Play the South please.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    rhinomagic wrote:

Carbon emissions is a very interesting angle on this band's touring patterns & the apparent expectation of their fans to get to the northeast, upper midwest, and west coast to see them play.

Maybe the band/crew vehicles are clean as a whistle, but what about the cars/vans/planes and other modes used by thousands of fans to follow them from city to city?

Does the PJ camp feel any responsibility for this? Not saying they should...just asking.

Getting excited for the BoH show next Sunday? :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    i can't believe the pj solo-ers are passing up this venue over and over.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/04/rolling ... rock-clubs
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

AUSTIN SHOW I WAS 13 AT THE FIRST 27 AT THE 2ND one an still 27 at the 3rd since it was next night
    is was 15 yrs for Austin to get a 2nd show
    but i agree i think they hate the south
    just saying i have spent over 10k easily

traveling to see PJ

pandi hope your weekend is great
    :wave: hi friend :D

its $10,000 worth spending though...great memories are priceless

I wouldn't have met you or many other wonderful people...thats something to say about travelin

Detroit first pick...cause not a holiday weekend
    St Louis second pick

weekend good here in GA hope weekend good for you in TX :thumbup:

hope all is well with your smile...I've been thinking a lot about you...brave young man you are :clap:
    rhinomagic wrote:

The thing that I don't get is if they are not touring the south due to the proximity between venues and it resulting in higher carbon emissions (yes, I will admit that major cities are a little farther apart down here) - how can they justify a tour that covers the east and west coast? Yes, the band can fly, but I am willing to bet that the gear doesn't. Air freight for that sort of thing is expensive as sin.

So if the gear has to travel across the country by truck, why not stop and play places in between to make trip more carbon efficient? On the Ed tour for example, there are a lot of places between Minneapolis and San Diego that I'm sure deserve a show, so why truck all the gear straight on through? Why not stop and play?
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,754
    when they played acl fest they did:

LA,LA, Austin, LA,LA

Does that sound like they are too interested in their footprint?

When they played NOLA they skipped everything in TX to play their next show in KC.

I'm pretty sure the only way they'll play here is if someone pays them an ungodly amount for a festival gig.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    when they played acl fest they did:

LA,LA, Austin, LA,LA

Does that sound like they are too interested in their footprint?

When they played NOLA they skipped everything in TX to play their next show in KC.

I'm pretty sure the only way they'll play here is if someone pays them an ungodly amount for a festival gig.
    damn good point
    www.RLMcDaniel.com