Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    vital5 wrote:
    johnc66 wrote:

By the way...I agree that the picture on the television in cyclops hands does resemble Al Franken...BUT what does it mean!!

No way, its Smitty!! I swear that's him in that tv. Darn it I wish someone from 10c would confirm or deny!! SLH? Rubysdad? Come on!!
    The guy in the picture on the television is the one and only Smitty....
    So in saying that... the person in the robot's television face might be band related too.. and not a famous person...

Yes, I totally agree but to me SHE is famous in her own right and my guess it's someone that goes hand in hand with "just smitty" and the "Rat" pack. ;) Where are all the sound board tapers when you need them??
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I think I know who the red dress woman is...

"Johnny Guitar Watson staring at me
    riding on three wheels a woman on his knee
    with a leg under a red dress I wish I could see..."

"On the left the girl in red so innocent
    Can't help but wonder where and who she is."

Seems like maybe they don't quite know either... ;)
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but it clicked when I looked at the lyrics today.

I totally agreed...earlier! :D

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 0#p2518091

Ooh, my bad - the last thing I want to do is going Kayne West on you!

Sorry, Arcticangel, gotta give the award to reflectedfromafar...but you're the runner-up! :mrgreen:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but it clicked when I looked at the lyrics today.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105643&start=360#p2518091

Sorry, Arcticangel, gotta give the award to reflectedfromafar...but you're the runner-up! :mrgreen:

"Arcticangel, I'm really happy for you, and I'm gonna let you finish, but reflectedfromafar had one of the best videos of all time"...
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    speech.jpg

"This is a recording of Shepard’s paradox synthesized by Jean-Claude Risset. Pairs of chords sound as if they are advancing up the scale, but in fact the starting pair of chords is the same as the finishing pair. If you loop this sample seamlessly then it should be impossible to tell where the sample begins and ends."

http://listverse.com/2008/02/29/top-10- ... illusions/
    Sam
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    Amazing find!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    samnation wrote:
    speech.jpg

"This is a recording of Shepard’s paradox synthesized by Jean-Claude Risset. Pairs of chords sound as if they are advancing up the scale, but in fact the starting pair of chords is the same as the finishing pair. If you loop this sample seamlessly then it should be impossible to tell where the sample begins and ends."

http://listverse.com/2008/02/29/top-10- ... illusions/
    shit son! well done on that.

now find me the red dressed legs and you'll be my hero!
  • Options
    ahhh you are all genius sleuths !
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    samnation wrote:
    "This is a recording of Shepard’s paradox..."

Awesome. I was convinced that pattern was a finger print too. :)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    samnation wrote:
    "This is a recording of Shepard’s paradox..."

Awesome. I was convinced that pattern was a finger print too. :)

+1 - hubby's wrong! ;) I'll show him that link.... wow!
    fireladie wrote:
    ahhh you are all genius sleuths !

I know!!! It's amazing how people find these things....

great job, everybody!
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    BeckBeck Posts: 4
    Johnny is coming.... this is a very good thing
  • Options
    BeckBeck Posts: 4
    Just breath - takes my breath away... fuck eddie you own me...
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    This thread is fabulous!
    I’m on page 15 and will be back soon to read the rest.

(hope the rat growing the ear is figured out!)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105643&start=360#p2518091

Hey now, not all of us indulged early. ;)
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    I've enjoyed seeing the guesses on here about thd art. I noticed my other post didn!t mention my guess' name. I think the lady in the tv on the Lost in Space robot or one from the old sci-fi movie with Leslie Nielsen and the human psyche monster is Karrie Keyes the sound engineer who's worked with Smitty for years, if he's the face in the cyclops tv.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    edited September 2009
    the dude on the backspacer artwork cover looks like Dudley Moore an actor who starred in (Arthur) and the movie (10) <---a pj related title?

004.jpg

(sorry, if this has already been mentioned)
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    doompony wrote:

now find me the red dressed legs and you'll be my hero!

That has already been covered....the red dress woman is referenced in the lyrics to Johnny Guitar.

This thread is fabulous!
    I’m on page 15 and will be back soon to read the rest.

(hope the rat growing the ear is figured out!)

The rat thing was figured out too...keep reading! :)
  • Options
    so, the red dress and the train is all that's left huh? :mrgreen:

• Options
    so, the red dress and the train is all that's left huh? :mrgreen:

Is the train not from the scene in Stand By Me? Seemed like a no-brainer to me......
  • Options
    Is the train not from the scene in Stand By Me? Seemed like a no-brainer to me......

do ya'll agree on that?

• Options

do ya'll agree on that?

See what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DdLH75G ... re=related
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    edited September 2009
    Dark Star wrote:
    doctor_1.jpg

I read in another thread, that the top left "Burning Train" drawing has the initials MR written in the flames... Which stands for Dr. Michael Richter, who got hit by a car and died recently. The album is dedicated to him as well... Just wanted to pass on the info.

Nobody has commented on my Al Frankin post, that's him in the TV, no?

I think the kid in the train drawing could possibly be Dr. Michael Richter according to this quote.

RIP Dr. Richter, he must of been a great man.
    Post edited by Dark Star on
  • Options
    Good find on the initials "M R" written in the stars. Undoubtedly, that refers to Dr. Michael Richter. The scene depicted in the same illustration, however, is based on a recurring dream of Jeff Ament's as a child. In Big Sandy, where he grew up, Jeff was told if he stood too close to the train tracks as a locomotive passed, he would be sucked under them. Like most youngsters, these sort of stories can tend to leave a lasting impression. In Jeff's case, he had nightmares of a train, covered in flames, chasing him relentlessly around town, wherever he went. The poster Tom Tomorrow did for Spin magazine may help connect the individual cover images to specific dreams of the band members. Here is a link to the poster- http://twitpic.com/iks51/full Notice Jeff is wearing the same ringer shirt as the kid being pursued by the train. Perhaps the upper right picture on the Backspacer cover, with Thurston the magician, is based on a dream of Ed's because he is holding a skull in the Spin poster. And of course, the Gilligan image would have to originate from Stone.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I've been thinking about the train picture and for some reason my mind keeps going to Alfred Hitchcock. There is a movie he did called "Number 17" that has a runaway train scene at the end. I can't remember if the train is on fire or not but I seem to recall that it is. If any of you have some time and have this movie on hand, check it out or I'll take a look when I get off work today.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Good find on the initials "M R" written in the stars. Undoubtedly, that refers to Dr. Michael Richter. The scene depicted in the same illustration, however, is based on a recurring dream of Jeff Ament's as a child. In Big Sandy, where he grew up, Jeff was told if he stood too close to the train tracks as a locomotive passed, he would be sucked under them. Like most youngsters, these sort of stories can tend to leave a lasting impression. In Jeff's case, he had nightmares of a train, covered in flames, chasing him relentlessly around town, wherever he went. The poster Tom Tomorrow did for Spin magazine may help connect the individual cover images to specific dreams of the band members. Here is a link to the poster- http://twitpic.com/iks51/full Notice Jeff is wearing the same ringer shirt as the kid being pursued by the train. Perhaps the upper right picture on the Backspacer cover, with Thurston the magician, is based on a dream of Ed's because he is holding a skull in the Spin poster. And of course, the Gilligan image would have to originate from Stone.

So, could this make Matt the blond kid looking in to the "underwater world" of Seattle?

In that poster, Cameron is the only one who's clearly blond -- as is that kid on the album cover ...
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • Options
    krymsin wrote:

So, could this make Matt the blond kid looking in to the "underwater world" of Seattle?

In that poster, Cameron is the only one who's clearly blond -- as is that kid on the album cover ...

That's a good guess. It seemed a peculiar choice to have Matt with blonde hair. I've never considered him a blonde. There are two observations that make it harder to know for certain he is the blonde kid from the cover. The first is, in most of the childhood photos of the band, they do seem to have at least some blonde in their hair. The second one is he was born and raised in San Diego. It still could be him though. The astronaut drummer might be too obvious of a choice for Matt. Although, it is worth noting he did begin drumming at an early age. Lets face it, Tom Tomorrow has given us the best scavenger hunt since that other band released something called Sgt. Pepper's... whatchamicallit.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237

this is good stuff! thanks. speaking of the Ed/Thurston panel...doesn't the 3 blonde "girls" look like they could possibly be Kurt Cobain? would make sense seeing as they are coming from the skull and it's in "Ed's panel" (KC and Vedder are always linked, and Ed usually has something to say about his death).
  • Options

That's a good guess. It seemed a peculiar choice to have Matt with blonde hair. I've never considered him a blonde. There are two observations that make it harder to know for certain he is the blonde kid from the cover. The first is, in most of the childhood photos of the band, they do seem to have at least some blonde in their hair. The second one is he was born and raised in San Diego. It still could be him though. The astronaut drummer might be too obvious of a choice for Matt. Although, it is worth noting he did begin drumming at an early age. Lets face it, Tom Tomorrow has given us the best scavenger hunt since that other band released something called Sgt. Pepper's... whatchamicallit.

:D Amen to that! This is the best thing, I think, that has ever happened to the PJ community....

I can just see Tom Tomorrow continue to be amused if he reads and keeps up with this thread, going daaammmnn!!

*calls the boys and defends himself* I NEVER said anything to anybody, I swear!!!

The PJ boys would be like ah don't worry about it, Dan... I forgot I said something about that in an interview with *insert name* back in *insert year*. ;)

But you are right about the blonde issue - I was born with blonde and then changed to light/dark brown around 7ish.... same with hubby and all of our children. My last and 4th (sniff, just saw a baby learning to walk this morning...couldn't believe how grown my children are, sigh) is 7 and her hair is blonde/brownish....which in at least a few years will be just as dark as the rest of her older siblings.

So yeah....

I'm SO glad this is still alive!!! :mrgreen:

I wonder how much longer.... no, I don't want to know.....
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    samnation wrote:
    speech.jpg

Anybody know whats going on with this guys head in the Tom Tomorrow version? Is it armour or some kind, looks a bit like a sea animal too? Weird...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options

So, i guess this album cover and inside artwork makes up for the avocado we got on S/T ...

;)
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.