Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    i dont mind songs growing on me, its just that the ones that do are usually the weirder ones. the quick, punky ones dont. they just kind of sit there. If i dont like those right away i wont ever.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

But I want another song like LBC... you know, a droning organ, depressing verses about people dying, a chorus that steals from other, better songs, uninspired vocals. I want something that makes me want to slit my wrists, not something I can get excited to see in concert and pump my first and sing along to. Music is not supposed to be FUN for God's sakes, it's supposed to be depressing and soul-crushingly self-indulgent.

Seriuosly, when I have friends over and am making a party playlist, there's only a few PJ songs from their hundreds I can actually throw on it.. unless everyone is getting high, but that's another story. :D
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,492
    I didn't like pearljam until vitalogy came out. It took me that long to like Ten.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited July 2009
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Actually, you kind of ARE saying that it's wrong for people to like it. Look at your thread title and your first post. You can't be surprise that people are calling you on it.
    It's not like you went into a random thread and said "I'm not a big fan."

i didn't say it was wrong of people to like bubblegum...is it wrong to ask them if they do?

i don't....that was just me saying "hey... i don't, do you?"

nowhere did i start acting like an elitist douche ....

I just get attacked because i have a conflicting opinion and some of the herd don't like that..oh fucking well..you want me to apologies for not being thrilled to death with a song? don't start holding your breath.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

the day the single was released, you went on to the main web site of the band, and said that the new song is bubblegum pop music. What did you expect would happen?

I hated Evacuation when it first came out, and I still do. But odds are there was probably someone who liked it. Besides matt, that is.

The last thing I would do was accidentally ruin it. Or take that away from someone.
    evacuation is miles better then this crap. least i know what my piss break/beer break song is.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    edited July 2009

Pearl Jam needs more fun, poppy songs. They've done ENOUGH experimenting.

Even though I don't care for The Fixer, I agree that fast upbeat songs are a good thing. But I don't see how you can say they've done ENOUGH experimenting. What have they experimented with? When have they ever stepped out of their comfort zone? I know there's Stupid Mop and stuff like that....but that was over 10 years ago. They never do things like instrumentals, fading one song into another, or orchestrations (sans Parting Ways). They never use non-musical overdubs like the voices on Dark Side of the Moon or the radio stations on Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf. They never use any instruments outside of guitar, bass, drums, and B3 except for novelty songs like Soon Forget and Bugs. They would never completely jump genres (like Zeppelin with Hog Dog or The Beastie Boys Country album). So where's the experimenting?
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    if i want poppy i'd go listen to the jonas brothers. this sounds something like what the jonas brothers or nickleback are doing.
    Umm.. sounds more like The Cure to me, but you obviously know the Jonas Brothers music pretty good, so I'll take your word.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    if i want poppy i'd go listen to the jonas brothers. this sounds something like what the jonas brothers or nickleback are doing.
    Umm.. sounds more like The Cure to me, but you obviously know the Jonas Brothers music pretty good, so I'll take your word.
    oh please this sounds nothing like the cure. the cure never made anything upbeat/poppy

• Options
    hey...whipping..Satan's bed....hail hail...save you...all upbeat fast tunes...not one of them sounds "poppy"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

But I want another song like LBC... you know, a droning organ, depressing verses about people dying, a chorus that steals from other, better songs, uninspired vocals. I want something that makes me want to slit my wrists, not something I can get excited to see in concert and pump my first and sing along to. Music is not supposed to be FUN for God's sakes, it's supposed to be depressing and soul-crushingly self-indulgent.

Seriuosly, when I have friends over and am making a party playlist, there's only a few PJ songs from their hundreds I can actually throw on it.. unless everyone is getting high, but that's another story. :D

Yeah, there's a lot of great material for a good stoner mix, but I've found it incredibly difficult to put together mixes that people will listen to that aren't familiar with the band. Efforts to convince two gf's in a row that this is a band worth listening to have failed. They're the only band I listen to that has that problem.
  • Options
    hey...whipping..Satan's bed....hail hail...save you...all upbeat fast tunes...not one of them sounds "poppy"

Are you kidding?

'Already! In Love!' how is that not a poppy chorus?
  • Options

Yeah, there's a lot of great material for a good stoner mix, but I've found it incredibly difficult to put together mixes that people will listen to that aren't familiar with the band. Efforts to convince two gf's in a row that this is a band worth listening to have failed. They're the only band I listen to that has that problem.

i don't see it as a problem....it's the reason i love this band...they don't make shit that sounds like other bands...they were more concerned with making art than pulling in fans...which in turn gave us their best material.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884

Are you kidding?

And Hail Hail
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Actually, you kind of ARE saying that it's wrong for people to like it. Look at your thread title and your first post. You can't be surprise that people are calling you on it.
    It's not like you went into a random thread and said "I'm not a big fan."

i didn't say it was wrong of people to like bubblegum...is it wrong to ask them if they do?

i don't....that was just me saying "hey... i don't, do you?"

nowhere did i start acting like an elitist douche ....

I just get attacked because i have a conflicting opinion and some of the herd don't like that..oh fucking well..you want me to apologies for not being thrilled to death with a song? don't start holding your breath.
    You know exactly the reaction you were looking for. And you got it, and you act surprised.

This is not bubblegum pop music, it's slightly less abrasive than their usual stuff. But in saying it the way you did, you riled people up by insinuating that it's ok for them to like bubblegum pop, as if this was the case.

I don't expect an apology. I expect a thank you, for keeping yor opinoin at the top for everyone to see. Over and over and over and over.

U R A Crazy Breed thinks this song sucks.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options

Pearl Jam needs more fun, poppy songs. They've done ENOUGH experimenting.

they would never completely jump genres (like Zeppelin with Hog Dog or The Beastie Boys Country album). So where's the experimenting?

Why would this ever be a good thing? Does anyone want them to do a country album? Aren't Drifting and Thin Air close enough?
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    oh please this sounds nothing like the cure. the cure never made anything upbeat/poppy
    What?

"In Between Days"

"Just Like Heaven"

"Why can't I be with You"

Friday, I'm in Love!!!

Not upbeat and poppy???? Really???
  • Options

i don't see it as a problem....it's the reason i love this band...they don't make shit that sounds like other bands...they were more concerned with making art than pulling in fans...which in turn gave us their best material.
    agreed

this sounds something like a 14-18 year old will listen to and go wow this is pearl jam i thought they were more rock and less poppy. this def can be used in a ad for say like target.

• Options
    Well played, LikeanOcean
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options

"In Between Days"

"Just Like Heaven"

Friday, I'm in Love!!!

while the vibe is upbeat/poppy the lyrics are hardly that way.

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

those lyrics are hardly upbeat/poppy

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    You know exactly the reaction you were looking for. And you got it, and you act surprised.

This is not bubblegum pop music, it's slightly less abrasive than their usual stuff. But in saying it the way you did, you riled people up by insinuating that it's ok for them to like bubblegum pop, as if this was the case.

I don't expect an apology. I expect a thank you, for keeping yor opinoin at the top for everyone to see. Over and over and over and over.

U R A Crazy Breed thinks this song sucks.

i'm sorry you find deep, thought provoking music abrasive..and if i feel contempt for bubblegum that doesn't mean i feel it for the people who like it...it's just how I feel about it.

and gee.....seeing as most threads on this fucking board are based on opinion that rely upon feed back based on other peoples opinions i don't understand what your trying to say
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    metsfan wrote:

"In Between Days"

"Just Like Heaven"

Friday, I'm in Love!!!

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

Have you read the lyrics to the fixer? Does it really scream pop?

I'll dig your grave
    Post edited by Vedd Hedd on
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ???

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

"In Between Days"

"Just Like Heaven"

Friday, I'm in Love!!!

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

"I’ll say your prayers I’ll take your side
    I’ll burn as a way to make light
    I’ll dig your grave
    We'll dance and sing
    What’s saved could be
    One last lifetime"

Those aren't bad lyrics.. the begining starts off perhaps as through the perspective of a happy child.
  • Options

i'm sorry you find deep, thought provoking music abrasive..and if i feel contempt for bubblegum that doesn't mean i feel it for the people who like it...it's just how I feel about it.

and gee.....seeing as most threads on this fucking board are based on opinion that rely upon feed back based on other peoples opinions i don't understand what your trying to say

I dont find their other songs abrasive, but radio does. Have you heard "Save You" on the radio?

Thought provoking......I think this song IS thought provoking. I just don't hink you have thought about it cause you are too caught up on the sound. If you read the words, there is
    more there than you give it credit for.

Not every song should be a Jeremy, long road, WWS. Some should be big waves, some should be lukins, and some should be fixers.

And you are free to your opinion, as am I. I just think you went about
    making it in a way that rubbed people wrong.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Are you kidding?

who made, who made up, made up the myth
    that we were born to be covered in bliss?
    who set the standard, born to be rich?
    such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
    get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
    i'd stop and talk, but i'm already in love

hahahahaha....yeah...that's so poppy :roll: :lol:

and musically it rocks the shit out of the fixer...that's the biggest part...it's like..where the fuck is Mike in this song?(fixer)
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

"In Between Days"

"Just Like Heaven"

Friday, I'm in Love!!!

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

What's that got to do with anything? He said it sounds like the Cure, not that the lyrics are Cure lyrics. The fact is that the Cure have plenty of upbeat, poppy songs... a huge part of their success was their ability to blend pop songs with dark lyrics.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    ???
    Sorry, bad quote. IPhone.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options

"I’ll say your prayers I’ll take your side
    I’ll burn as a way to make light
    I’ll dig your grave
    We'll dance and sing
    What’s saved could be
    One last lifetime"

Those aren't bad lyrics.. the begining starts off perhaps as through the perspective of a happy child.
    agreed up until those lyrics its all happy and stuff. i dont know i guess i wasn't expecting a top 40 pop hit where 12-16 year olds will go buy cd at there local target. i was expecting something along a combination of yield/no code/self titled

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,742
    this just in...bubblegummer britney spears to open for pearl jam at the spectrum. FACT.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.