Options

For those complaining about ticket prices

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    thunderDAN wrote:
    plus, I kind of think it's a dick move to charge more for tickets than you ever have in your whole career when you know that the nation is struggling with job loss and fear of job loss. For example, the Cleveland Cavaliers (who have Lebron James) and have sold out most every game for the past 3 years, didn't raise their ticket prices because according to their owner "didn't want to kick their fans when they were down". Despite raising payroll to record levels, they kept their prices the same because they knew their fans were hurting.

Which is a surpise since he will be in New York in a year :o :shock: ;)
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    thunderDAN wrote:
    plus, I kind of think it's a dick move to charge more for tickets than you ever have in your whole career when you know that the nation is struggling with job loss and fear of job loss. For example, the Cleveland Cavaliers (who have Lebron James) and have sold out most every game for the past 3 years, didn't raise their ticket prices because according to their owner "didn't want to kick their fans when they were down". Despite raising payroll to record levels, they kept their prices the same because they knew their fans were hurting.

not if the salary cap does what they say it will. But that isn't the point. The point is that a team that could suck a few extra bucks out of the fans because they have one of the better teams in the NBA chose not to do that because of the economy. They pulled the opposite of the Yankees and it worked out for them.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    thunderDAN wrote:
    thunderDAN wrote:

not if the salary cap does what they say it will. But that isn't the point. The point is that a team that could suck a few extra bucks out of the fans because they have one of the better teams in the NBA chose not to do that because of the economy. They pulled the opposite of the Yankees and it worked out for them.

I know, I was kidding, just taking a swipe at Cleveland- I apologize, I'll get two more chances to do it this fall ;)
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Maybe it's more of a volume thing then. They have more actual tour dates, so Green Day etc, they make more money that way. PJ has fewer tour dates and so if they didn't charge a certain amount, they wouldn't make jack squat and as a result it wouldn't be worth it to tour at all. Hell, I dunno. I'm just talking out of my ass anyway. :D

Yes, I think that's exactly it. Completely understandable from Pearl Jam's perspective, and I'm grateful they tour at all, but it sucks for the young/poor.

Totally. I'm older and employed, I'm coming at it from a whole different perspective. So who am I to say?

Hell Foo Fighters charged something like $45 for their show and I saw entire families there! So, I do see both sides of the whole thing. But they also played a show in just about every friggin state.

I'd really like to see some sort of cost analysis of what it costs to tour. But I'm a geek about stuff like that.
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    I posted this quote in another forum about famous Eddie Vedder quotes, but it seems to be made for this thread:

Spin Magazine Interview - 12/94

About keeping ticket prices affordable:

"Vedder of the band's fight to lower ticket prices. "The experience of a father taking his son to the concert even though he works at a gas station... or even being able to afford a T-shirt. What music can do to your life, what one night of live music, if all the elements are in place, how it can affect your life. It might make this kid pick up a guitar. Who knows what it will do."

Now, having read that, does anyone truly believe that a man working at a gas station could (within reason) afford to take his son to a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder solo show with the current pricing of tickets and t-shirts? The ticket prices are nearly 4 times what they were in 1994, and I'll be damned if minimum wage has increased 4 times what it was in that year.

Do I think that the prices are insane? No. Do I think the band still cares if someone with a limited income is able to attend their shows? Sadly, I think those days have passed. Pearl Jam, and Eddie as an induvidual, have changed over the years. They are still fan friendly, but let's not pretend that they have stuck to their early ideals. Big shows can happen at more reasonable prices, it's simply a matter of what the band sees as a fair profit margin.

As usual, the truth falls in the middle of everyone's extreme reactions. No, Pearl Jam are no longer the same band that raged against corporate America. It's time for the fans to face that. On the flipside, they aren't exactly being greedy with their ticket and merchandise pricing. They are simply looking out for the future of their respective families. Those who are crying "sell-out" need to look at themselves in the mirror, and ask if THEY haven't changed over the last 15 years.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,321
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Maybe it's more of a volume thing then. They have more actual tour dates, so Green Day etc, they make more money that way. PJ has fewer tour dates and so if they didn't charge a certain amount, they wouldn't make jack squat and as a result it wouldn't be worth it to tour at all. Hell, I dunno. I'm just talking out of my ass anyway. :D

Yes, I think that's exactly it. Completely understandable from Pearl Jam's perspective, and I'm grateful they tour at all, but it sucks for the young/poor.

Totally. I'm older and employed, I'm coming at it from a whole different perspective. So who am I to say?

Hell Foo Fighters charged something like $45 for their show and I saw entire families there! So, I do see both sides of the whole thing. But they also played a show in just about every friggin state.

I'd really like to see some sort of cost analysis of what it costs to tour. But I'm a geek about stuff like that.

Same here. There were a ton of kids and families at Green Day last night.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,321
    Now, having read that, does anyone truly believe that a man working at a gas station could (within reason) afford to take his son to a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder solo show with the current pricing of tickets and t-shirts? The ticket prices are nearly 4 times what they were in 1994, and I'll be damned if minimum wage has increased 4 times what it was in that year.

Well...now you're kind of blaming Pearl Jam for the entire economy. If Pearl Jam had to charge, let's say $45 to break even, I'm not sure the gas station guy could afford that, given how much all the other costs have risen. But I hear your larger point.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Well...now you're kind of blaming Pearl Jam for the entire economy. If Pearl Jam had to charge, let's say $45 to break even, I'm not sure the gas station guy could afford that, given how much all the other costs have risen. But I hear your larger point.

My ticket last year to the Va Beach show was $66- and it cost me like $100 to get there because gas was $4 a gallon. Now they raised prices 20% when one of the biggest costs dropped nearly 50%. Not only that, concert venues are struggling so they are charging less for dates than they were a year ago because of the lack of touring this year. Pearl Jam sees 2009 as a year to cash in
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    thunderDAN wrote:
    The ticket prices have inceased so much over the last few years because the album sales have gone down. You can stand up to ticketmaster when Vitalogy is flying off the shelves. But since Binarual, Riot Act and Avocado all failed to sell 1 million copies in the US, you have to get paid somehow.

how does Radiohead manage to give their CD away, and still keep tickets around $50? NIN did it too. I'd even argue that as of right now, Radiohead is even more relevant than Pearl Jam so you could see if they were charging $83 a ticket- but they don't. I guess they don't need to be paid all that much, they make a ton of money as it is, and do it because they love it and not get paid. I loved when Pearl Jam was like that.

Radiohead wants everybody at their shows. From the pretentious British album buyer to the college kid who sells back all his books just so he can buy tickets. I'm convinced that Pearl Jam doesn't care who's at their shows anymore. They don't care if it's a hardcore Tenclubber or just some business man looking for something to do on a Friday night. As long as the ticket is SOLD.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    daryl jam wrote:

Tragically Hip @ The Orpheum Theater
    55 CDN
    2 1/2 hrs of music

$55 dollars and got 'ta strum Gord's guitar, I can't complain! :)
    I saw radiohead at tbird stadium I don't recall it being that much... great show too..

on another note, what is the stage set up for ACDC? I'd have to think that for bands like that, KISS, Stones, U2, etc. don't they have elaborate stages? that's gotta equal higher ticket prices doesn't it? Although i have U2 tickets for the fall and they were really cheap...shitty seats but the price reflects it.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options

Radiohead wants everybody at their shows. From the pretentious British album buyer to the college kid who sells back all his books just so he can buy tickets. I'm convinced that Pearl Jam doesn't care who's at their shows anymore. They don't care if it's a hardcore Tenclubber or just some business man looking for something to do on a Friday night. As long as the ticket is SOLD.
    if this is the case, i find that very discouraging... stamp sell out on eddie's forehead type discouraging.
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

if this is the case, i find that very discouraging... stamp sell out on eddie's forehead type discouraging.

then be discouraged, dude. I know I am.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

the writing has been on the wall for the past 2-3 years, now it's just a matter of accepting it or not.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    like people have said... PJ used to be a band that cared about ticket prices.. surely there is a way to reduce prices even know.

If PJ always charged 85 for a ticket than it's no problem just a steep jump in the last years.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    The big question is: Is there anything we can do? Or should do?
    Should we all send emails to the tenclub saying ticket prices are too high?
    Who knows, even if they don't lower prices on future shows, maybe it would at least draw out an official response.
  • Options
    Who knows, even if they don't lower prices on future shows, maybe it would at least draw out an official response.

I think all we can do (and should do) is air our grievances on the message board. It's not like they're not aware that many of their devoted fans think they've got the Green Disease.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

I think all we can do (and should do) is air our grievances on the message board. It's not like they're not aware that many of their devoted fans think they've got the Green Disease.
    Well, we may know some people in the organization read the forum, but does the info ever get back to the band?
  • Options
    I don't know at this point. Half the shows didn't sell out last year when tickets were $67 bucks, now they raise them as if they aren't even aware that the shows aren't sold out
  • Options
    any one complaining should take a look at ticket prices in Australia :lol:
    we will be looking at over $200 us a pair for the next tour

Yeah they were 110$ AUS EACH last tour.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I don't know at this point. Half the shows didn't sell out last year when tickets were $67 bucks, now they raise them as if they aren't even aware that the shows aren't sold out
    See what I mean? Someone needs to tell them
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

You raise a valid point, and I certainly don't blame Pearl Jam for the economy. :lol: That being said, if you accept Pearl Jam's ticket prices (and I do), then one can certainly question the pricing of Vedder's solo tickets in relation to that of Pearl Jam as a whole. While the venues are smaller, the price of renting the venue, travel costs, road crew, etc. would be considerably less.

I can't stress this enough, the ticket prices are fair in my eyes. However, it seems that we have two very vocal camps around here. One group think the band hasn't changed since the early 90's, and the other considers the band to have sold out. Times change, people change, and these two groups of fans need to accept that reality.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    I dont think anyone is arguing their prices versus the prices of bands like aerosmith etc. I think the debate is how how PJ tix have gone in a relatively small amount of time. Its all relative to the % increase from a certain time until now. Looking back at my ticket order history and basically PJ tix have doubled since 2003, give or take

this is true.

I paid $77 dollars for TWO tickets to Buffalo 2003. (best concert ever)

I just finished paying more than double that for Philly. I understand inflation... but there was a time I could tell my friends that Pearl Jam offered really cheap tickets. I can't say that anymore.

Can't REALLY complain though.. it was good while it lasted. :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options

You raise a valid point, and I certainly don't blame Pearl Jam for the economy. :lol: That being said, if you accept Pearl Jam's ticket prices (and I do), then one can certainly question the pricing of Vedder's solo tickets in relation to that of Pearl Jam as a whole. While the venues are smaller, the price of renting the venue, travel costs, road crew, etc. would be considerably less.

I can't stress this enough, the ticket prices are fair in my eyes. However, it seems that we have two very vocal camps around here. One group think the band hasn't changed since the early 90's, and the other considers the band to have sold out. Times change, people change, and these two groups of fans need to accept that reality.

I never hear anybody saying they're sell-outs. Sure their ticket prices have doubled in the last 5 years, and they whored the Ten album to the Rock Band video game, and the last tour was sponsored by Verizon (complete with the text message screen at concerts), and they've shot a Target commerical for their new single...but that doesn't mean they're sell outs. Times change and people change.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    main point either accept the change or don't and stop being a fan.
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678

harsh we all accept the change.. doesnt mean we cannot talk about it :)
    kinda like how some americans didnt accept George W. (i think eddie wasn't a big fan of his either)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    in the most humble and polite way of stating my opinion...
    this is a stupid main point.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I think it's really sad what they have become. For a comparison:

Pearl jam - MSG lower level seat - $39.50
    Pearl jam - Spectrum lower level seat - $37
    Radiohead - MSG Pit - $49.50

2008/2009
    Radiohead - Camden Pit - $59
    Pearl Jam - Camden 100 level seat - $68
    Pearl jam - Spectrum - $77
    Eddie Vedder - Tower theater - $68

So in 5 years, Radiohead has managed to only raise ticket prices only $10 and in the same span, Pearl jam has raised tickets almost $35 - $40? For those who make the argument that small tours = higher costs of lugging a stage and tour around... Radiohead are bringing their gear all the way from the UK plus they too play small, sporadic tours as well.

I don't like the ticket prices nor do I agree with them but they are able to sell out charging those prices so why wouldn't they charge them? They just have no business playing the sing Green Disease.
  • Options

2008/2009

So in 5 years, Radiohead has managed to only raise ticket prices only $10 and in the same span, Pearl jam has raised tickets almost $35 - $40? For those who make the argument that small tours = higher costs of lugging a stage and tour around... Radiohead are bringing their gear all the way from the UK plus they too play small, sporadic tours as well.

I don't like the ticket prices nor do I agree with them but they are able to sell out charging those prices so why wouldn't they charge them? They just have no business playing the sing Green Disease.

Pearl Jam Spectrum tickets were $90.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

2008/2009

Radiohead is even more relevant than Pearl Jam. The people who are comparing Pearl Jam to Aerosmith and U2 are nuts. Pearl Jam AT THIS POINT in their career is somewhere below just below Radiohead.
  • Options
    whoa! Tickets at the Specturm were $90? LMAO. I see why you Philly people like the Spectrum, as I miss the old venues here, but that's insane.