Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually emailed TMR to ask how strict they are about not refunding after you've paid already, lol. I also asked them how intense they are about their little "no flipping" rule. Because I want to flip this thing for sure, but apparently they look for that kind of thing and will cancel your subscription for life if caught. ??? Surely they don't care when someone is selling just because they hate the item...
    I'm not soured on the Vault subscription... but this one stings particularly bad, probably because I hold a special kind of hate for country music, and didn't realize that JW would force it upon us. :tongue:

weird, because part of Jack's selling of the vault was "don't like it? sell it and make some money!". It's not a direct quote, but it's close.

and we haven't paid for this one already, have we?

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited April 2015
    They won't refund your money. I tried immediately after being charged for the lame Elephant Singles box and was sent to an faq with the no refunds policy.

And be never heard of the no flipping rule with the Vaults. In fact, in the initial Vault announcement they all but encouraged it.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460

PJ_Soul said:

I actually emailed TMR to ask how strict they are about not refunding after you've paid already, lol. I also asked them how intense they are about their little "no flipping" rule. Because I want to flip this thing for sure, but apparently they look for that kind of thing and will cancel your subscription for life if caught. ??? Surely they don't care when someone is selling just because they hate the item...
    I'm not soured on the Vault subscription... but this one stings particularly bad, probably because I hold a special kind of hate for country music, and didn't realize that JW would force it upon us. :tongue:

weird, because part of Jack's selling of the vault was "don't like it? sell it and make some money!". It's not a direct quote, but it's close.

It depends when you have your subscription renewal date in the month. Mine was the end of the month, for times like these... So I can see the release before it renews.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    DewieCox said:

They won't refund your money. I tried immediately after being charged for the lame Elephant Singles box and was sent to an faq with the no refunds policy.

And be never heard of the no flipping rule with the Vaults. In fact, in the initial Vault announcement they all but encouraged it.

Well now it specifically says in the Vault FAQ that they monitor ebay and tell you not to flip. Just looked it up today.

Don't really expect a refund. Just wondering about the selling thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I paid for it a week or two ago. My original renewal/payment for it was actually today, but I had to change my card number, so when I did that in March it automatically charged me for #24 as soon as I re-subscribed with the new card.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    scurtis said:

PJ_Soul said:

It depends when you have your subscription renewal date in the month. Mine was the end of the month, for times like these... So I can see the release before it renews.
    Mine too. I always thought they charged everyone at once, but a few Vaults ago I realized it wasn't the case. Its actually a good idea to sign up close to the deadline so you can see future Vaults without being billed. My subscription says I'll be charged on 4/10, so I have plenty of time to cancel if I want.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Agreed.

I signed up for my first Vault a few days before it closed, thanks to reading what everyone said here it allowed me to see what was coming up.

I just cancelled my subscription and when I see one I like I will jump in close to the dead line. I would suggest that folks here unsubscribe and jump back in closer to the end date so you have time to make decision.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    I like it. At least it wasn't an Olivia Jean package.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    My payment doesn't get processed until 4/30 so I have time to cancel in case he releases any goodies in the vault shop until then.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,809
    Lame set :(
    I will be quiting on April 11!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

JK_Livin said:

My payment doesn't get processed until 4/30 so I have time to cancel in case he releases any goodies in the vault shop until then.

I have never been quick enough to get any of the limited Vault Novelty releases, even if I'm online when they drop. Crazy how many vultures circle that site all day long.

If I was Third Man I would drop the best limited items during mass cancellation periods like this one. It would also be interesting if they included something awesome in one of these future sub-par releases that wasn't listed. I wouldn't put it past them, especially with their love of releasing limited items.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

Cancelled.

www.headstonesband.com

JK_Livin said:

Yeah that was my mistake.

I have to admit, I was paid through the end of April, I thought I was just cancelling the auto-payment and would keep my membership through the month.

Oh well, know for next time now.
    Could be a good thing with all these cancellations. With fewer pressed these become more scarce, so when a new collector comes along and wants to back track and acquire all the vaults they have missed... These could be worth more. :smile:

But not soon, those wanting to flip theirs immediately will lose money on this one.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    hopefully everyone cancels

variety is the spice of life folks
    my2hands said:

hopefully everyone cancels

variety is the spice of life folks

What do you mean? The TMR vault subscription offers variety. I mean, they just announced a Loretta Lynn album. If that's not variety I don't know what is. :lol:
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    PJ_Soul said:

I could go for something a little different. Like not the White Stripes or Jack White at all.... someone else who he deems worthy of a cool vault release (and that would mean I've probably never heard of them, lol, but that it would be good). Barring that, I wouldn't mind something related to the Raconteurs.

For #24, it seems like you just got your wish!!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • PJ_Soul said:

I could go for something a little different. Like not the White Stripes or Jack White at all.... someone else who he deems worthy of a cool vault release (and that would mean I've probably never heard of them, lol, but that it would be good). Barring that, I wouldn't mind something related to the Raconteurs.

A good example of why you should be careful what you wish for.

PJ_Soul said:

A good example of why you should be careful what you wish for.
    Ha! Yeah, no shit!
    I didn't realize that JW could go so unbelievably fucking country. I mean, a little Nashville bluesy twang is one thing, but this is ridiculous, lol.
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    Is it that much of a surprise though? Loretta Lynn and country is heavily featured on TMR. It was only a matter of time before it made a Vault release. That said, I did feel disappointed when I saw the announcement but the last 2 releases were so spectacular that the next release was probably always going to disappoint!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
    It's a big surprise to me personally because in didn't know that TMR or JW are huge into country, since I totally hate country music, so why would I know, right? Lol.
    D'ems the breaks. Now I know.
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    So I asked for Jack White advice a month or two ago in this thread. I did buy a few albums, and I'm slowly beginning to love it. Only have his two latest solo albums. One problem though. I found out about the Vault and subscribed in the last week. I mistakingly thought they were all Jack White or his side projects.....doh. And now I see I paid $60 for Loretta Lynn. I actually like country, but only the newish country from the last 25 years. Now that old time hillbilly stuff, which her music is. Oh well. Hopefully the one in 3 months is exceedingly super to make up for it :)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,131
    Sarava said:

So I asked for Jack White advice a month or two ago in this thread. I did buy a few albums, and I'm slowly beginning to love it. Only have his two latest solo albums. One problem though. I found out about the Vault and subscribed in the last week. I mistakingly thought they were all Jack White or his side projects.....doh. And now I see I paid $60 for Loretta Lynn. I actually like country, but only the newish country from the last 25 years. Now that old time hillbilly stuff, which her music is. Oh well. Hopefully the one in 3 months is exceedingly super to make up for it :)

Hah! I prefer the old hillbilly stuff!

TMR stuff is an experience NOT an investment.

Give it a try, you might just like it!
    I am shocked that jw fans are not aware jw is a country fan. THat reason alone is why I find his solo music to be unlistenable. Too much of that suthern twang creepin in. Cant stand it.

www.headstonesband.com

I am still on the fence with this one. I don't really hate country, but don't love it either. The completist in me is inclined to stick with it though. Would have much rather preferred Sturgil Simpson!
    PJ:

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

Sarava said:

the hillbilly stuff is the best, Chris!!!!

I am surprised that you other guys don't know Jack's history.....
    did you just start listening to him when his solo album came out?
    He produced this Loretta Lynn record in the early 2000's.
    He dedicated a record to her.
    The WS used to cover Dolly Parton's "Jolene" on a regular basis.
    I find this funny.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,940
    I may be in the minority that I'm excited about this one. Not as excited as some of the past releases but excited nonetheless. As previous posters alluded to, there's only so much White Stripes, DW, Racs that can be sold. VLR is a solid album that will nicely fill a void in my collection.

JW is a musicologist w/ impeccable taste in sound IMO. I mean, who else plays Eric B. & Rakim as post-concert music at a venue attended predominantly by white people? :sunglasses: I've come to trust the music he stands behind, whether that be his own, produced by him, or TMR whatnot. There's a whole lot of good stuff out there beyond rock 'n roll, a lot of which informed rock, and Jack does a terrific job of giving some of these sounds second and third lives (good example: see TMR's Paramount Records releases).

Also, he doesn't thump us over the head w/ his offerings. Very convenient how you can board or get off the Vault train based on whether the bundle is your cup of tea or not.
    lolobugg said:

Sarava said:

I find this funny.
    yup knew the history, he's also a big Wanda Jackson and Willie Nelson fan (Willie had a Vault dedicated to him too) still think the new Vault is a joke.

Regardless of Jack's tastes in music, I'm guessing most Vault members are members because of the music Jack (and others he plays with) produces not the music he likes.

TMR has the freedom to put out any Vault they want, but you have to admit, there's no consistency in this release, it's not even original music.
    jjflash said:

I may be in the minority that I'm excited about this one. Not as excited as some of the past releases but excited nonetheless. As previous posters alluded to, there's only so much White Stripes, DW, Racs that can be sold. VLR is a solid album that will nicely fill a void in my collection.

JW is a musicologist w/ impeccable taste in sound IMO. I mean, who else plays Eric B. & Rakim as post-concert music at a venue attended predominantly by white people? :sunglasses: I've come to trust the music he stands behind, whether that be his own, produced by him, or TMR whatnot. There's a whole lot of good stuff out there beyond rock 'n roll, a lot of which informed rock, and Jack does a terrific job of giving some of these sounds second and third lives (good example: see TMR's Paramount Records releases).

Also, he doesn't thump us over the head w/ his offerings. Very convenient how you can board or get off the Vault train based on whether the bundle is your cup of tea or not.

All you really need to do is check out Third Man's Blue and Green singles series and you will get an idea of what they are truly about....Diversity.

I love the diverse packages. i was getting bored of the WS live.
    edited April 2015
    lolobugg said:

Sarava said:

I find this funny.
    Jolene doesn't sound country to me at all IMO. I didn't even know that was a Dolly Parton song. Just because someone is a fan (and i consider myself a pretty big fan), it doesn't mean we automatically know every fine detail of everything the guy does or track every album dedication. I don't have time for that. There are a lot of artists who I'm a huge fan of. I wish I could know everything about all of them, but I just can't. My memory isn't even good enough to manage that even if i did have the time!

I have listened to JW for years. I've always been a fan ever since the first White Stripes album. But seriously, unless I was pouring through the entire TMR catalogue and tracking every little thing that JW does, why would I know he worked with Loretta Lynn or did anything with country 12 years ago or whatever? As a fan for many years, this is the first time it's ever come to my attention, so it couldn't have been THAT obvious.

But as I said, now I finally do know to be wary of hardcore country when it comes to Jack White, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on