Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    the dvd is kinda shitty. it's like home movies with a smattering of some live songs. half of them barely audible due to the crappiness of that other band. but the White Stripes stuff is cool.

I'm not trying to sound like a guy complaining about his diamond shoes being too tight, but I think there might be a reason most bands don't release stuff like this. The sound is so poor it's barely listenable. The last vault with Jack White at TMR was terrible sounding, and I'm no audiophile. Not one bit. I usually like something even if it sounds like it's from cassette, but man, why put something on vinyl if it sounds like this? Dead Weather live at TMR sounded awesome. And the dvd that came with it was incredible. What's the sound like on the WS live in Mississippi vinyl?

You must've got a bad pressing of that Jack White record. Mine sounds really good, and if I remember right there were some pressing issues with some of them.

Not a big fan of the lower quality stuff that's been put out from them either. The dvd's aren't watchable and while the White Stripes B-shows isn't intolerably bad, they put out Live at Mississippi.

Live at Mississippi sounds great, but Jack's voice is in pretty rough shape. Live at London and Sea of Cowards Live are both great packages.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    my new vault lp is warped as shit. it plays, but I got a bit worried when it began with what seemed like a commercial and then morphed into Dead Leaves. But I see on the liner notes that this what is supposed to happen.

The 12" white LP is warped pretty bad. It plays, but did skip twice due to the severity of the warp. I might have to contact the Thirdman customer service people.

Just a heads up. I was able to repair my warped record, by laying it under a heavy stack of records. I left it there for two days. I just put in on my turntable and the warp is gone.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    So for some reason I started with side 2 of the Bricks and just got around to listening to side 1.

Does anyone else's side one start with a lady talking about Walk America and healthy babies?
    It's literally an out of nowhere public service announcement that gets cut off after a minute. dead leaves comes in then there is a brief second where the last starts talking again.

Weird.
  • Options
    So for some reason I started with side 2 of the Bricks and just got around to listening to side 1.

Does anyone else's side one start with a lady talking about Walk America and healthy babies?
    It's literally an out of nowhere public service announcement that gets cut off after a minute. dead leaves comes in then there is a brief second where the last starts talking again.

Weird.

It's supposed to.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Ok haha. It just seems really out if place. Was their a reason for that?
  • Options
    Ok haha. It just seems really out if place. Was their a reason for that?[/quote

...not sure if there was a reason. It sounds like that was taken from a local Detroit radio station. Probably just trying to mess with the listener. Typical Jack White style.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    DewieCox wrote:
    The last vault with Jack White at TMR was terrible sounding, and I'm no audiophile.

You must've got a bad pressing of that Jack White record. Mine sounds really good, and if I remember right there were some pressing issues with some of them.

i just tonight got around to listening to live at third man and it does sound really good.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Has anyone ever gone to one of the Rolling Record Store stops? I went to one of the "B" shows last year when Jack played in the middle of the woods at Outside Lands, but I didn't bother waiting in line for the truck.

They're coming to Hollywood on Wednesday afternoon on their way to their TMR pop-up shop at Coachella. Just wondering if it's worth checking out.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    I went in Philly about a half hour before it opened on a weekday and there were 40 people in front of me. I'd say if you want some of the rare stuff you need to get there an hour before.. At least. But they do have some cool stuff to snag.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Vault 16 looks pretty sweet
    0408080608Vault16_webmockup_LRG_final.jpg
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Damn. I was hoping they'd have one I could opt out. Oh well, there's always next time. :lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,538
    The new vault looks SICK! Wish I wasn't poor..
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Damn. I was hoping they'd have one I could opt out. Oh well, there's always next time. :lol:

yep, 3 in a row for me. Told the wife I'd be 1 and done :fp:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    JK_Livin wrote:

yep, 3 in a row for me. Told the wife I'd be 1 and done :fp:

LOL I said the same thing.... :lol:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    i assume they will all likely be a jack white project going forward - i've cancelled every time it was one that wasn't one of his projects, and i bet 75% of subscribers did too.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    choop wrote:
    i assume they will all likely be a jack white project going forward - i've cancelled every time it was one that wasn't one of his projects, and i bet 75% of subscribers did too.

I guess it depends if he starts getting some other acts on the label. That doesn't seem to be a priority outside of the blue series they release of bands swinging by the studios. I've kept my membership active since the second offering... really wish I didn't miss the first! :fp: The only time I would let mine lapse is if they make a set that include Insane Clown Posse or something of that sort. This series looks like it should be pretty awesome!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Nevermind90Nevermind90 Posts: 722
    Jolene Jolene Jolene oh Jolene ....
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    Anyone live near Palm Springs that can grab me the box set? You can preorder it now I think and I realize that it is a long shot but what the hell. I've been hooked up by you guys in the past so why not reach out and try again. Obviously I'll cover the costs plus give you something for the trouble ;)
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    cancelled my subscription today. going to sell all my TMR stuff too. it was exciting at first, but the releases I have so far are sub par at best (the Dead Weather package ruled though). oh well. I could only dream of PJ releasing stuff like this, though.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    cancelled my subscription today. going to sell all my TMR stuff too. it was exciting at first, but the releases I have so far are sub par at best (the Dead Weather package ruled though). oh well. I could only dream of PJ releasing stuff like this, though.

:o :shock:

I'll be happy to take a look at what you are throwing up for sale....shoot me a PM if you want man. I'm always down to throw my money away at some wax.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768

I'd be interested in a Live in Mississippi Vault package.
    PM me if you like. :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Oh My God!!! This is freaking awesome

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... l-20130416

I would love to go there and record 2-minute messages for all my loved ones... birthday and season greetings, get well messages, salutations and congratulations, or whatever I might think of... this is crazy...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841

I would love to go there and record 2-minute messages for all my loved ones... birthday and season greetings, get well messages, salutations and congratulations, or whatever I might think of... this is crazy...

I hear ya bud 8-) . Seriously bada$$. The hits keep a-comin' with Jack White :D
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    jjflash wrote:

I hear ya bud 8-) . Seriously bada$$. The hits keep a-comin' with Jack White :D
    That is so cool! I love hearing about all of Jack's ideas and the novelty stuff that he is doing. Unfortunately as I'm on the other side of the world I guess it'll just be added to the list of 'things to be jealous of'!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    If anyone is hitting up the Ace Hotel Pop Up shop I'd love one of those Thirdman Baseball shirts....

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news?start=6

I can pay you now or trade you some vinyl vault goodies...

Thanks!
  • Options
    the elephant reissue sounds fantastic, definitely improved sound quality over the original pressing. if you were on the fence about this being a cash grab, try and get one or wait for the black vinyl later this year.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Thoughts on the new Vault?

There was a really cool Elephant doc on the site when it first launched. It got removed before many people saw it... :(

Hope everyone who wanted #16 got in before the 1st. It's going to be an absolute killer package.
  • Options
    Thoughts on the new Vault?

There was a really cool Elephant doc on the site when it first launched. It got removed before many people saw it... :(

Hope everyone who wanted #16 got in before the 1st. It's going to be an absolute killer package.

Absolutely can't wait. This hopefully will be up there with Live in Miss and Live in London.

I just wish PJ would do something like this, even if only twice a year where they just have open enrollment, hell yet can charge $100 even, and just put out a killer box set of an older show. They would make a fortune and way better than just adding some crappy tee shirts to keep the wheels greased lol.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    What I thought would be a long-shot during my trip to Nashville paid off.... While leaving Third Man Records I had someone take a second photo of me outside the building. While waiting for Bill to get set for the photo I noticed the garage door opening and a nice Tesla backing out. Needless to say it was Jack White with some other people. I got Bill's attention and we played it cool, didn't bum rush the car. As Jack pulled out of the driveway and started up the street we got a wave. Didn't get to actually meet him, but it was cool that he acknowledged us outside as he pulled away. And this was after the United Records Pressing tour, a very geekful music filled day! :ugeek:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    +1 on the Gold and Platinum Gatsby set. Can't freakin wait to see what this looks like.

Anyone else pick one up?
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway