Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,932
    Yeah.

Probably a stupid pick up (Especially since there are only 4-5 good tracks on the album), but its gonna be a pretty unique package.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Ha, yea I hear you. That's why I got it... And I'm sure ill end up liking a few more songs on it than I initially think.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    What I thought would be a long-shot during my trip to Nashville paid off.... While leaving Third Man Records I had someone take a second photo of me outside the building. While waiting for Bill to get set for the photo I noticed the garage door opening and a nice Tesla backing out. Needless to say it was Jack White with some other people. I got Bill's attention and we played it cool, didn't bum rush the car. As Jack pulled out of the driveway and started up the street we got a wave. Didn't get to actually meet him, but it was cool that he acknowledged us outside as he pulled away. And this was after the United Records Pressing tour, a very geekful music filled day! :ugeek:
    :clap::clap: Very cool.

I'm kinda late on the JW train. I've only recently picked up WS stuff, including the RSD reissue of Elephant which I LOVE. I still have a lot to learn about JW so hitching my wagon....
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but there's some information on the TMR website about the Sun Records reissues:
    SunRecords5black450.jpg
    In 1952 a record label started in a bustling Tennessee town. They were fond of acoustic tile, storefronts, the color yellow, the owner producing recording sessions and music that generally moved people. Their output couldn't be pigeonholed to any one genre. They released everything....country, rock and roll, gospel, bluegrass, rockabilly, blues. If there's an American musical form that came to fruition in the early 20th century, bet your bottom dollar that some outstanding examples of it were recorded and released by SUN RECORDS.

Sixty-one years later, Third Man Records, in a similarly-bustling Tennessee town and believing in many of the same ideas mentioned above, has entered into partnership with the legendary Sun Records to reissue titles from their catalog on the format they were best known... 45rpm 7" singles.

The initial three releases highlight three disparate, yet engaging releases from the Sun catalog.

Originally released in 1953, "Bear Cat" by RUFUS THOMAS is as certifiable a primitive R'n'B smoker that's ever existed. Complete with the inimitable Joe Hill Louis on guitar, the future "Funky Chicken" Thomas gives his male-perspective answer record to Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog." In the process, the legal powers behind "Hound Dog" writers Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller won a lawsuit claiming "Bear Cat" infringed on the duo's copyright. Ever since the writing credits have been Leiber/Stoller, but what has not changed is the unbeatable groove that moves the song. "Bear Cat" is as fresh today as it was when it was originally released sixty years ago.

Also released in 1953, "Just Walking in the Rain" by THE PRISONAIRES was Sun's first certifiable hit. Penned Johnny Bragg and Robert Riley, both inmates at Tennessee State Prison, the solemn, haunting doo wop vibes were enough to garner the group, all incarcerated inmates, frequent day passes out of prison walls to perform across the state...including numerous engagements at the governor's mansion. The vocal prowess and good behavior on day trips would be enough for most group members to be pardoned by the governor. Elvis Presley often said the Prisonaires were his favorite vocal group and even covered "Just Walking in the Rain" on occasion. The proof is in the pudding on this one.

Released in 1956, "Get Rhythm" is an upbeat number by JOHNNY CASH with positive lyrics speaking of a happy shoe-shine boy. While the song is classic, inimitable Cash, it would quickly become overshadowed by its b-side, "I Walk the Line." A peculiar song that changes key between each verse and has no chorus, "I Walk the Line" would become the song Cash is best known for, a tale of pledged fidelity with lyrical undertones implying even deeper meaning. Rolling Stone magazine ranked the song at #30 in their 2004 list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.

Each release remains faithful to its original issue on Sun, replicating the classic logo and label design coupled with a striking Sun company sleeve that dutifully employs the rooster Sam Philips lamented losing as labels switched from 78's to 45's.

This will be an ongoing partnership between Sun and Third Man and future releases are already in the works. Pre-orders for all three initial releases on black vinyl (available for purchase individually or as part of a bundle) begin today, with an official release date of May 21st.

The limited edition versions of these singles will be an eye-catching yellow and black splatter configuration we're lovingly calling sun-ray vinyl. They will be limited to 150 copies per title. 100 copies of each of the limited versions will be sold from the Rolling Record store on May 28, 29, and 30th. The 28th we will sell the lmtd Johnny Cash single at Sun Records in Memphis TN, 29th will be Rufus Thomas at Please and Thank You in Louisville KY, and on the 30th we will sell The Prisonaires Sun Ray at Luna Records in Indianapolis. As always 50 copies of each limited edition record will go in random mail orders for the standard edition vinyl through the Third Man website. Please stay tuned to the Rolling Record Store Twitter account for updates on these sales.

limited450.jpg
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I ordered the bundle... hoping for a lottery insert! The splatter is sweet!

I actually saw the labels while touring the United Records Pressing plant a few weeks back, didn't think anything of it that it was for Third Man Records... plus I think the guy showing us how they make the multi-colored vinyl held up a copy of one of these... gonna have to go back to my photos to see if I can tell...
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Can anyone help me with vault 12, the DVD of the shows in Auckland, from the early 2000s?? Please please, please!! I'd so love to see these at least, if not own them!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    I just recently came across the Redd Blood Cells album, White Blood Cells with the bassist from Redd Kross adding bass to all the tracks, with Jack's blessing. some of it is really good, and some of it is some pretty blatant self serving bass man.

and I'm a bass player. ya gotta know your place in the band.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bm12musicbm12music Posts: 292
    morello wrote:
    Can anyone help me with vault 12, the DVD of the shows in Auckland, from the early 2000s?? Please please, please!! I'd so love to see these at least, if not own them!!
    If you have a spare $450 somone (not me!) is selling Vaults 12 (includes the Auckland DVD)-15 on Trademe
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    West Palm Beach - Jun 11, 08
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    Christchurch - Nov 29, 09
    EV - Bris - Mar 10 & 12, 11
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    bm12music wrote:
    morello wrote:
    If you have a spare $450 somone (not me!) is selling Vaults 12 (includes the Auckland DVD)-15 on Trademe
    Yep, I've seen that. I was kinda tempted for a second, thinking I'm sure I could find people who want the bits of the package I don't want so much but that's a lot of $$!

Have you seen the DVD at all?
    <hr>
  • Options
    bm12musicbm12music Posts: 292
    morello wrote:
    bm12music wrote:
    morello wrote:
    Yep, I've seen that. I was kinda tempted for a second, thinking I'm sure I could find people who want the bits of the package I don't want so much but that's a lot of $$!

I do have the DVD but I haven't watched it yet. It's is still all sealed up in the vault package which I haven't got around to opening yet. I'm pretty sure the footage is pretty average. Real Groovy did have a screening of it a while back.
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    West Palm Beach - Jun 11, 08
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    Christchurch - Nov 29, 09
    EV - Bris - Mar 10 & 12, 11
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    bm12music wrote:
    morello wrote:
    bm12music wrote:

I do have the DVD but I haven't watched it yet. It's is still all sealed up in the vault package which I haven't got around to opening yet. I'm pretty sure the footage is pretty average. Real Groovy did have a screening of it a while back.
    Yeah I read about that but missed the screening by a long way. I agree the footage is probablty pretty average but it would be cool to see. If you ever open yours let me know. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    There are a lot of people selling the DVD for under $30...If you're still looking, PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone looking to sell theirs.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Gold and Platinum Gatsby came today. I feel like I'm not classy enough to own it.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Hey Everyone,

I have two Vault packages priced to sell.

Vault #8 - White Stripes Live In Mississippi. Still in the mailer. GONE
    Vault #14 - Jack White Live At Third Man Records. Still in the mailer $100

Shoot me a PM if your interested. They can get out as early as Monday.

Thanks,
    DMW
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Shipping notice!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Dirty BubbaDirty Bubba Boston Posts: 32
    Postal carrier was very good to me today....
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Postal carrier was very good to me today....
    Tracking says mine should be here tomorrow :D
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    my vault will arrive tomorrow. my copy of shins live at third man came today. will start out the 4th spinning some new vinyl, that's for sure.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    I'm still searching for a "Under NZ LIghts' if anyone can part with theirs?
    <hr>
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Got mine monday- very impressive.

TMR posted vault 17 will be announced today- curious to see what it will be. Hope it is something killer with the new vault launch.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    Got mine monday- very impressive.

TMR posted vault 17 will be announced today- curious to see what it will be. Hope it is something killer with the new vault launch.

i'm expecting a dud, since the last two have been decent, and the last 3 have been jack white and the white stripes. probably a singles collection or random artist.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Anybody ever have any problems with records shipped from TMR. I received my copy of The Great Gatsby yesterday and it came warped. I emailed them but haven't got any response yet? I'm just wondering I this has happened to anybody else and if so did they replace it? I was worried that it would ship on one of the hottest weeks this summer.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    They usually make it right. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Options
    choop wrote:

i'm expecting a dud, since the last two have been decent, and the last 3 have been jack white and the white stripes. probably a singles collection or random artist.

I agree. Though we are due for some Dead Weather.

But they are done with the singles collection. They said its on the back burner for a while. There weren't alot of blue series in the past year anyway what with jack touring for Blunderbuss.

I'm in the minority I guess, I love the singles collections and always looked forward to them as a package. I'd rather a singles collection than a non JW3 band.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'm in the minority I guess, I love the singles collections and always looked forward to them as a package. I'd rather a singles collection than a non JW3 band.

This, so much...I'm not even a big fan of the non-JW bands but those singles collections(the first 2 at least) are pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Yeah, the first 2 years of TMR was all killer with very little filler.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Wow! Willie Nelson! this looks amazing!
  • Options
    meh.

I'll get it because Neil is on it. The 6" is pretty cool actually.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    It's a beautiful set at worst
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I can finally cancel! :D
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12