Options

Dear Mosh Pitters...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    My favorite mosh pit story ...

At some show in the mid-90s, could have been Bush, or the Toadies, or the Pumpkins .... there was a dude in the pit IN A WHEEL CHAIR.

We all thought that was hilarious.

Then, halfway through the show, the dude in the wheelchair goes crowd surfing by. IN HIS WHEELCHAIR.

We thought that was hilarious.

Little bit later, here comes the wheelchair again. But it is empty. What happened to the handicapped dude?

We thought that was hilarious, too. But looking back, maybe we should have been a little more worried about him.

:lol: Man, I had a really valid point to make, then read this and totally lost my train of thought! :lol:
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    I am just expressing an opinion here. I buy a ticket to a concert, like a lot of people do, because a band does not play here everyday. I can listen to the music at home... yeah, I get it. I'm just saying that a lot of people go to a show to actually SEE the band they love, perform the songs they love in person.
    Case in point... recently, I was at a Tom Morello 'NightWatchman' show. And there was a time when Tom, Slash and rock guitar legend Wayne Kramer from the MC5 (with Lemmy Kilmeister on Bass) were at the front of the stage. This is something I have never seen before... and it was pretty damn incredible. These guys were moshing up front where we were and were too busy moshing to witness this once in a lifetime event. My opinion is.... they could have had the same amount of fun, moshing in the back of the crowd... or even in the parking lot, for that matter... because they missed out being an eyewitness to that remarkable experience. But, their 'fun' infringed on the fun of those people who had been there the entire evening. You may think it is fair... I don't.
    Look... if you want to defend the actions of douchebag frat boys who wear sunglasses indoors at night or cholo shitheads that hang out in the parking lot or the lobby, getting drunk and coming in and forcing their way to the front of the stage to mosh... that is your opinion and I respect it. I don't agree with you, but I will respect it. My opinion is they are douchebags. My opinion is that the people who get there early, wait in line and plant a spot where they can enjoy the live music have rights to enjoy the band and not be displaced by steroid raging imbeciles.
    And if you think I expect everyone to stand still... you are (besides being a complete idiot) dead wrong. I know people are moved by the experience and most can rock out without imposing their expression on everyone around them.
    If you feel that your right to do whatever it takes to have a good time... including shoving people around and creating a crush on the people against the stage... I feel... in my personal opinion... that you are a self-serving asshole. Telling me that I... and everyone else that is trying to enjoy the show... should leave because you claim to have the right to shove your way to the front makes you... with all due respect... the asshole, not me.
    And I don't care you don't agree with me... I don't expect you to agree with me... I am not trying to make anyone believe as I do. Just as I am not going to accept your opinion that you should be able to set aside all sense of concern for other people just because you feel the need to push and shove people around.
    What I don't understand how my expression of a personal opinion makes me bitter, arrogant, out of touch or hateful... but, hey... if your account sees me that way... that's your call. Personally... i don't care what you think of me. Because I don't really care what you think. I'll respect it for you... but, I don't care for it.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Just re-reading you're first post where you say that moshing is past tense and because you used to do it, today's generation need to come up with something new.

then in the last post above you say that anyone who moshes is an asshole and shouldn't ruin everyone's concert experience. (paraphrasing)

So it sounds like it was OK when you felt like doing it back in the day, but now that you're older and you don't like it anymore, no one should do it.

For the record, I don't like moshing either and I don't do it at concerts. I did it once at a Sevendust concert in the late 90's, but had my fill there. Even though I don't like them I am smart enough to stay out of them and could care less how other people express themselves at a show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    edited June 2009
    Just re-reading you're first post where you say that moshing is past tense and because you used to do it, today's generation need to come up with something new.

then in the last post above you say that anyone who moshes is an asshole and shouldn't ruin everyone's concert experience. (paraphrasing)

So it sounds like it was OK when you felt like doing it back in the day, but now that you're older and you don't like it anymore, no one should do it.

For the record, I don't like moshing either and I don't do it at concerts. I did it once at a Sevendust concert in the late 90's, but had my fill there. Even though I don't like them I am smart enough to stay out of them and could care less how other people express themselves at a show.
    There's a difference when the entire floor is moshing... like at a 'Slayer' concert. And something completely different when only 2% of the audience doing it. Back in 1991... the entire floor was a giant mosh pit except towards the back. Times have changed, you know?
    You can mosh all you want... I don't have a problem with that. It's when you shove your drunken ass to the front, like it's some sort of God given right, that I oppose. Just like I don't care if those guys want to get drunk in the lobby during the opening act. They can come into the main floor and mosh to their hearts content... I just don't think it's okay when they think they can shove everyone out of the way to form a pit in front of the stage.
    You may disagree and side with them.. that's your call.
    Also... 'The Lamb Of God' and the 'Wall Of Death'... That's fucking GREAT. A new band the kids can relate to and a new form of the mosh pit. I wanted to see this thing because it was something new the kids came up with to fit the music they liked. And yeah.. i knew what to expect, so I did what you wanted me to do... stand on the sidelines and watch. I have no interest to see what the 'Lamb Of God' musicians were doing.
    Unfortunately, when I went to see them in L.A.... the same old L.A. douchebags were doing the same old shit.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    My favorite mosh pit story ...

At some show in the mid-90s, could have been Bush, or the Toadies, or the Pumpkins .... there was a dude in the pit IN A WHEEL CHAIR.

We all thought that was hilarious.

Then, halfway through the show, the dude in the wheelchair goes crowd surfing by. IN HIS WHEELCHAIR.

We thought that was hilarious.

Little bit later, here comes the wheelchair again. But it is empty. What happened to the handicapped dude?

We thought that was hilarious, too. But looking back, maybe we should have been a little more worried about him.
    I went to see Social Distortion last year and we had a wheelie crowd surfing in his chair! Mike Ness' face was PRICELESS when the guy got to the front the first time. He was up 2 or 3 times and the up front crowd took awesome care of him! Security was super accommodating too and he was safe on all trips and clearly having the time of his life! It brought great energy to the room and Ness said something like, "You Jersey people are some crazy fvckers!" when we were cheering more for Wheelie than the band! :lol:
    Why go home?
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    ya' know, I really hadn't thought about it before this thread but why do the moshers mosh up front? They really don't seem to be there for visual stimulation so why not in the back? Perhaps then everyone could be happy. Moshers, rebuttle?
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    jimed14 wrote:
    moshing is silly ... but, I can deal with a crowded, high enrgy moving about more than I can deal with the people that come to the show 15 minutes after it has started and feel it's their God given right to be up front, and have zero regrets for who they step on, shove, elbow and move in front of.

My thoughts exactly, sometimes I really want to hurt those people!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    I know how powerful and moving music can be to the soul... and its power to energize the body... stimulate the mind... especially when experienced live.
    But, please be mindful... it is not 1991 anymore. You shoulda been there. I'm sorry if you were only 2 years old in '91 and missed out... that's your fault, not ours. And I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots who were buying and listening to M.C. Hammer or dressing like Vanilla Ice in '91... and are in your fucking 30s now and trying you get your licks in, in order to mentally erase your embarassing past by pretending you were 'Grunge' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) by moshing in 2009... but, seriously... you need to stop.
    Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time. That coin was spent a long time ago. Come up with something new, instead of trying to do what we used to do... all those yeas ago. I know, it is not easy... thinking is hard for you, huh? But just try... come up with something new... I believe in you.
    Now... if you STILL feel the need to Mosh at a concerts... there are several bands out there with fans in the same mental state as you. I heard Blink-182 is re-forming. That is your crowd. You can play your homo-erotica games of 'Grab Man-Ass' and 'Slap and Tackle' all you want with all the other males who share your latent homosexual feelings at those gigs... and really... the rest of us don't care. We WANT you to have fun... but, not at our expense. This is why God invented 'Fall-out Boy'... just for you.
    In closing... when you are that close to the stage next time... try to look towards the stage and pay attention to what is going on up THERE. There are some pretty interesting things going on up there... things you DON'T get to see everyday. I'm betting you have missed some pretty amazing shows, while you were out there, cluster fucking with other dudes. You can still rock out and express yourself physically... like the rest of us... without drawing attention to yourself so we can se how 'hard core' you are. We get it... you're 'Hard core, man'. Try it next time... watching the band, that is. I think you'll like it.
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo

do you realize how old and out of touch you are? if you can't handle the crowd at a show then stand in the back with the other old men. it's arrogant and obnoxious to try and tell people what to do at concerts.

Tell it to your mom when she drops you off at the show in her station wagon, son. ;)

Sleightofjeff -
    OMG! I just love reading your posts! You are so frikon funny! Seriously! I love your sense of humor! Sorry - I'm off topic.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    PearlJain wrote:

Sleightofjeff -
    OMG! I just love reading your posts! You are so frikon funny! Seriously! I love your sense of humor! Sorry - I'm off topic.

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

:):):)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mkeen411 wrote:
    hey cosmo, come down off your pedestal and go fuck yourself.
    There's always one in the crowd. Tsk. Tsk.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

• Options
    PearlJain wrote:

Sleightofjeff -

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

:):):)
    This is what I'm talking about. Do you blog? If not - you really should consider it. Off topic - ---
    Anyway - I love Pearl Jam. BTW - I always tip waitstaff at least 20%.

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Lollapalooza 2007.

"Hard Core" Pj fans, moshing away.

I get called old everytime I say it, but moshing is stupid.

I wanted to hear "Education" for the first time without getting a kid dropped on me.
    :roll: there was no moshing of any kind with any stretch of imagination at Lolla 07.

people dancing and occasionally losing a bit balance and touching you is not moshing.
    Have another look at the crowd on the Italian DVD then come back and complain about how 'rough' Lolla was.. and that isn't even proper moshing.

Cosmo, unless you're referring to Euro or South American shows, I've no idea why the subject even crops up since PJ US shows are seated and nobody moves at your festivals (had the most depressing experience at Bonaroo last year watching Metallica and no-one even fucking moving! what's wrong with you people?..and I'm a 37yo woman, not a kid..)
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Everyone enjoys shows in different ways.

I know if i want to be toward the front of the crowd their will be some moshing, crowd surfing, and stage diving. Many concerts i don't want to deal with this so i act like the old man i am and stand toward the back of the crowd :oops:

It is a rock concert not the orchestra. Some people enjoy it in different ways.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    As the Talking Goat once said, "Have good mosh pitting!"
  • Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    Pegasus wrote:

Cosmo, unless you're referring to Euro or South American shows, I've no idea why the subject even crops up since PJ US shows are seated and nobody moves at your festivals (had the most depressing experience at Bonaroo last year watching Metallica and no-one even fucking moving! what's wrong with you people?..and I'm a 37yo woman, not a kid..)

Too many fuckin' hippies at Bonaroo... All that granola made them to fat to move around. And they're kind of known for being laid back.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I understand what the OP is saying but I don't understand why he posted it... PJ isn't GA so you shouldn't really have to worry about a mosh pit starting. I jump in place usually and it's very non-violent and kind of dorky.