Options

Dear Mosh Pitters...

Comments

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Cosmo wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

yeah for some songs it would be grand to mosh to, leash, sonic reducer, comatose, got some etc

you dont have to be in the pit if you dont want to either, i just dont see how its a big deal!! i mean id love to be from your generation cuase some of my favourite bands you just mentioned there!! and we want to live that expieriance now cause most of the new music is pure wank!! ye should be glad were in to music from yeer generation, it basiclly validates your whole movement, if only we had the the same class of musical pioneers that were around then today
    Hey... I think that there are some bands where you expect mosh pits to break out. I love to go to Pennywise shows because the audience is part of the show. And yeah, I steer clear of them. Besides, Pennywise does not possess... in my personal opinion... so much of a command of their instruments that I would want to be close enough to watch. And bands like the Dropkick Murphys, The Vandals and NOFX... moshing is expected.
    But, it seems like nowadays... the moshing is mostly done by these college frat boy shitheads that don't give a shit. Most of the fans of the bands actually want to Watch the Band. Those other bands I talked about... those are the types of bands where the fans are in the pit and there aren't those frat boy douchbag types anywhere to be seen.
    Also, I don't mean to start a generation war... I'm just standing up for the fact that so-called 'old' people... like me... came up with The Clash, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, X, Elvis Costello. So, anyone that rags on me... because of my age... rags on them, too.
    And yeah, a lot of Pearl Jam songs would be fun to mosh to... which is fine. Just don't do it when you're that close to the stage... do it in the back... where's there's plenty of room to play and you can't see the band anyway.
    And TRUST ME... if you are ever that close to the stage when Pearl Jam is on... you will WANT to see Mike in action, rather than pushing and shoving some random dude. It's not everyday you will get to see Pearl Jam... you will want to record every aspect to your mind's memory for playback later. You memories will be much better if they recall the things going on onstage... than the things going on in the pit.
    I'm speaking from experience... I don't remember much of the Pearl Jam show in Indio, CA. in 1993 because the Moshing was so huge. I remember a lot about the Mosh Pit... but, not a lot about many of the songs.

i actually agree with you and id personally prefer to watch the band, i just kinda took offence to the whole point that god made fall out boy for us, cause fall out boy are WANK
  • Options
    Im sorry, but DO NOT try and tell people how to enjoy themselves at a live concert.

If you cannot handle "mosh pits" then either stand at the back or let those who wish to enjoy a concert how they want.

get a life.

ignorance and arrogance intwined.

If you want to simply sit back and enjoy music then do not stand at a concert, sit, or instead you can sit at home and listen to the albums.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Im sorry, but DO NOT try and tell people how to enjoy themselves at a live concert.

If you cannot handle "mosh pits" then either stand at the back or let those who wish to enjoy a concert how they want.

get a life.

ignorance and arrogance intwined.

If you want to simply sit back and enjoy music then do not stand at a concert, sit, or instead you can sit at home and listen to the albums.
    Please... go back and read some of my other responses and get back to me.
    Thanx.
    P.S. The first part of your call name seems quite fitting.
    peace...
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Go to a Lamb of God concert and thrash if you’re angry.

I'm more of a Killswitch guy.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Why do people always equate something they find distasteful with homosexuals? That's very 80's Cosmo...
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    asher7asher7 Posts: 85
    edited June 2009
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    I know how powerful and moving music can be to the soul... and its power to energize the body... stimulate the mind... especially when experienced live.
    But, please be mindful... it is not 1991 anymore. You shoulda been there. I'm sorry if you were only 2 years old in '91 and missed out... that's your fault, not ours. And I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots who were buying and listening to M.C. Hammer or dressing like Vanilla Ice in '91... and are in your fucking 30s now and trying you get your licks in, in order to mentally erase your embarassing past by pretending you were 'Grunge' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) by moshing in 2009... but, seriously... you need to stop.
    Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time. That coin was spent a long time ago. Come up with something new, instead of trying to do what we used to do... all those yeas ago. I know, it is not easy... thinking is hard for you, huh? But just try... come up with something new... I believe in you.
    Now... if you STILL feel the need to Mosh at a concerts... there are several bands out there with fans in the same mental state as you. I heard Blink-182 is re-forming. That is your crowd. You can play your homo-erotica games of 'Grab Man-Ass' and 'Slap and Tackle' all you want with all the other males who share your latent homosexual feelings at those gigs... and really... the rest of us don't care. We WANT you to have fun... but, not at our expense. This is why God invented 'Fall-out Boy'... just for you.
    In closing... when you are that close to the stage next time... try to look towards the stage and pay attention to what is going on up THERE. There are some pretty interesting things going on up there... things you DON'T get to see everyday. I'm betting you have missed some pretty amazing shows, while you were out there, cluster fucking with other dudes. You can still rock out and express yourself physically... like the rest of us... without drawing attention to yourself so we can se how 'hard core' you are. We get it... you're 'Hard core, man'. Try it next time... watching the band, that is. I think you'll like it.
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo

interesting post there, I suppose you've shown us that you are quite old and out of touch with youth, which I suppose is fair enough.

Firstly, if you don't like moshing, don't go near mosh pits, you're more than welcome to stand at the back out of the action, or stand near the front, but not near a pit. Honestly, there's really no need to complain about something thats incredibly easy to avoid. It's VERY rare that you are unable to get away from moshpits.

Secondly, moshpits in my experience are a surprsingly friendly place, while people are allowed to go a bit crazy, most of the ones I've been in are not about anger, or aggression but simply energy release. (Seeing as u must be getting on I can understand that you might not have much energy, but others of us do). What's more although it can be rough, in almost any pit I've been in, if you fall over, and theres any chance of real injury it will be SECONDS till people lift u up and stop u getting trampled, I've even made long-lasting friends with people who I was previously moshing with.

Thirdly, moshing is a perfectly valid form of appreciating the energy of the music; granted its not for everyone, but when you see forty-somethings bobbing about in a cringing "parent-type" way, I don't go out of my way to complain; that's their interpretation of the music and what they want to do, its their prerogative.

Lastly, I realise that this isn't the 90s anymore, but PJ's music specifically still carries a lot of the energy it did back then, if Ed went and crowd-surfed in a show, would you complain that that's against the rules and could ruin people's view of the show?...no, you wouldn't.

I understand that you don't like moshpits, but seriously, get over yourself and just ignore them.
    Post edited by asher7 on
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    yah quit hittin on the homos!
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I know the OP wants to be all wise and all knowing, but don't take credit for something your generation didn't invent. Pearl Jam in my opinion, was never hard enough to be moshing to, even in 91. Besides, fans were moshing to bands much older than PJ like Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Megadeth, Pantera etc. Unless you were in you're 30's going to Pearl Jam shows in 91, then you are just as bad as the "kids" you are griping at.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Why do people always equate something they find distasteful with homosexuals? That's very 80's Cosmo...
    No... it is true.
    A lot of aggression in males is due to latent homosexual feelings... and makes them lash out, often against gays, in physical violence. They want the company of males but are confused because of external environmental influences.. such as parents or religious pressures, they seek male contact in physical, yet nno-sexual contact... such as plying grab man-ass in a mosh pit. There's a reason WHY a lot of high school football player types 'hate' gays so much... latent homosexuality. And the most Gay hating homophobes out there... often times, possess homosexual feelings (ref. Sen. Larry Craig, Rev. Ted Haggert).
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I know the OP wants to be all wise and all knowing, but don't take credit for something your generation didn't invent. Pearl Jam in my opinion, was never hard enough to be moshing to, even in 91. Besides, fans were moshing to bands much older than PJ like Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Megadeth, Pantera etc. Unless you were in you're 30's going to Pearl Jam shows in 91, then you are just as bad as the "kids" you are griping at.
    Let's see... in 1991 I was... 35.
    Did I win?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Cosmo wrote:
    Let's see... in 1991 I was... 35.
    Did I win?

No, you're 53 and are arguing on a band's message pit. I would say you lost.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    asher7asher7 Posts: 85
    Cosmo wrote:
    No... it is true.
    A lot of aggression in males is due to latent homosexual feelings... and makes them lash out, often against gays, in physical violence. They want the company of males but are confused because of external environmental influences.. such as parents or religious pressures, they seek male contact in physical, yet nno-sexual contact... such as plying grab man-ass in a mosh pit. There's a reason WHY a lot of high school football player types 'hate' gays so much... latent homosexuality. And the most Gay hating homophobes out there... often times, possess homosexual feelings (ref. Sen. Larry Craig, Rev. Ted Haggert).

OR maybe you're just reading too much into what is simply energy release, there is very little "ass-grabbing" in a mosh-pit, never seen that myself. Surely it's better to get out aggression and energy in the situation such as at a gig than to bottle it up, go home and beat ur wife.

If you argue that a lot of aggression is due to latent homosexual feelings, then perhaps so is playing football, competitive sports, driving flash cars (phallic symbols). Honestly its incredibly simple to say that an action is a latent homosexual thought, but maybe you complaining about such an innocent act, is ur way of revealing ur true latent homosexuality. :?
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I've moshed

but first I slam danced

Neither at a PJ concert

I do not possess latent homosexual urges
    (except that one time in college)

Blanket statements are rarely true

BTW...wasn't that Kramer guy on Seinfeld, first name Cosmo?
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    mkeen411mkeen411 Posts: 103
    hey cosmo, come down off your pedestal and go fuck yourself.
  • Options
    asher7 wrote:
    Firstly, if you don't like moshing, don't go near mosh pits, you're more than welcome to stand at the back out of the action, or stand near the front, but not near a pit. Honestly, there's really no need to complain about something thats incredibly easy to avoid. It's VERY rare that you are unable to get away from moshpits.
    No. Mosh Pits break out in the crowd. And many are started by shitheads that got into the venue late and want to force their way through the crowd to get closer to the stage. I don't move to Mosh Pits... sometimes they break out where I'm standing.
    If you approve of these frat boy shitheads behaviour... that's your call.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mkeen411mkeen411 Posts: 103
    someone delete this thread
  • Options
    asher7 wrote:
    OR maybe you're just reading too much into what is simply energy release, there is very little "ass-grabbing" in a mosh-pit, never seen that myself. Surely it's better to get out aggression and energy in the situation such as at a gig than to bottle it up, go home and beat ur wife.

If you argue that a lot of aggression is due to latent homosexual feelings, then perhaps so is playing football, competitive sports, driving flash cars (phallic symbols). Honestly its incredibly simple to say that an action is a latent homosexual thought, but maybe you complaining about such an innocent act, is ur way of revealing ur true latent homosexuality. :?
    Hmmmmm... maybe you're right.
    You sound kinda sexy... wanna meet for coffee?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Blanket statements are rarely true
    Please, forgive me if I'm wrong... but, isn't THAT a blanket statement?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mkeen411 wrote:
    hey cosmo, come down off your pedestal and go fuck yourself.
    Okay... I see we have our first response from Team MENSA.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    hammer-and-vanilla-ice.jpg

awwwwwwwwwww shit!! look what ya done did...i feel a tag team ass beating coming on...ah oh, ah oh, ah oh...Hammer!
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    One of my favorite places to be, is on the edge of a good mosh pit. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Moshing schmoshing. I haven't seen real moshing since 1987, and that was a one man mosh.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I got to say that I completely disagree with Cosmo on this one.

Mosh away kiddies! I will be on the edge of the circle pushing you mother fuckers back in. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    awwwwwwwwwww shit!! look what ya done did...i feel a tag team ass beating coming on...ah oh, ah oh, ah oh...Hammer!
    The thing is... SOMEBODY bought those records. Someone was buying those pants. But, no one seems to admit it.
    And I can understand why. All of a sudden, the ones... and not the little kids, because most little kids have the worst taste in music (i.e. top selling artists Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers... whom those future 20someThings will probably say they were buying Pearl Jam CDs instead)... but the person who was 23 in 1991 and dressed like Vanilla Ice will probably NEVER admit to it. They will, more than likely, tell you they were listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains. And I don't really blame them. Lucky for them, there weren't cell phone cameras back then to prove otherwise.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    LukinFan wrote:
    Who moshes to PJ anyway? Haven't seen that in a long time at a PJ show- especially with chairs on the floor

My friend (a female) and I were almost trampled by moshers at PJ in Atlantic City a couple years ago. If you listen to the boot you'll hear Ed ask at the end of Porch if everyone's ok...could've been bad news.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Cosmo wrote:
    The thing is... SOMEBODY bought those records. Someone was buying those pants. But, no one seems to admit it.
    And I can understand why. All of a sudden, the ones... and not the little kids, because most little kids have the worst taste in music (i.e. top selling artists Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers... whom those future 20someThings will probably say they were buying Pearl Jam CDs instead)... but the person who was 23 in 1991 and dressed like Vanilla Ice will probably NEVER admit to it. They will, more than likely, tell you they were listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains. And I don't really blame them. Lucky for them, there weren't cell phone cameras back then to prove otherwise.

:lol::lol::lol:

you're cracking me up!!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Cosmo wrote:

I bought those records ( just the Hammer ones ;) ) and I listened to my Badmotorfinger CD, Ten CD, Mother's Milk CD, and my People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm CD too :)

Although I wasn't 23 in 91 I was only 16. I should get a little slack for the Hammer thing.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

I bought those records ( just the Hammer ones ;) ) and I listened to my Badmotorfinger CD, Ten CD, Mother's Milk CD, and my People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm CD too :)

Although I wasn't 23 in 91 I was only 16. I should get a little slack for the Hammer thing.
    Brother... only of you were caught on camera wearing parachute pants and sporting one of those Vanilla Ice hairdos... and that shaved eybrow thing.
    Then, yeah... and I don't think I'll be the only one giving you a bit of a razzing.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Banjo wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Who moshes to PJ anyway? Haven't seen that in a long time at a PJ show- especially with chairs on the floor

My friend (a female) and I were almost trampled by moshers at PJ in Atlantic City a couple years ago. If you listen to the boot you'll hear Ed ask at the end of Porch if everyone's ok...could've been bad news.
    Now... were you looking for the Mosh Pit to join in? Or did the Mosh Pit over run where you were standing?
    From what I'm hearing from some of these messages... you and your friend were at fault.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Luckily I didn't dress like that, I just had the albums. My stylistic influence was more of a Beastie Boy/Steve Cabellero look back then.
    NERDS!