Options

Dear Mosh Pitters...

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Luckily I didn't dress like that, I just had the albums. My stylistic influence was more of a Beastie Boy/Steve Cabellero look back then.
    Well then... you're off the hook.
    And really... if you found out a friend of yours acutally dressed like Vanilla Ice back then... but, today, he's telling you how he was into Nirvana and Pearl Jam.. wouldn't you give him a bit of a razzing?
    Or worse than that... wearing his clothes backwards like those two little kid rappers.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Cosmo wrote:
    Banjo wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Who moshes to PJ anyway? Haven't seen that in a long time at a PJ show- especially with chairs on the floor

My friend (a female) and I were almost trampled by moshers at PJ in Atlantic City a couple years ago. If you listen to the boot you'll hear Ed ask at the end of Porch if everyone's ok...could've been bad news.
    Now... were you looking for the Mosh Pit to join in? Or did the Mosh Pit over run where you were standing?
    From what I'm hearing from some of these messages... you and your friend were at fault.

Yeah, definitely our fault...That's the last time I let hundreds of people sneak up on me from behind...I should've been more defensive during The Long Road.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Banjo wrote:
    Yeah, definitely our fault...That's the last time I let hundreds of people sneak up on me from behind...I should've been more defensive during The Long Road.
    Okay. See... you are the person I am worried about... and why I posted this in the first place.
    You have a right to be on the floor and enjoy the show without some fucking asshole knocking you over, right?
    But, people are telling me that the ASSHOLE has the right to run around, knocking into you in his expression to the music... and that you should move to the back... with us old people.
    How does THAT make any sense? How come THEIR right to Mosh, have precedence over your right to be there and not get knocked over? or do these people belive that you do not have any rights?
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Cosmo wrote:
    Luckily I didn't dress like that, I just had the albums. My stylistic influence was more of a Beastie Boy/Steve Cabellero look back then.
    Well then... you're off the hook.
    And really... if you found out a friend of yours acutally dressed like Vanilla Ice back then... but, today, he's telling you how he was into Nirvana and Pearl Jam.. wouldn't you give him a bit of a razzing?
    Or worse than that... wearing his clothes backwards like those two little kid rappers.

I have one friend that did. He had a dance crew called Quadra-Smooth. I've razzed him for 18 straight years :D We have similar music tastes, he just took this fad a step to far one year.

I've only been in 3 mosh pits in the last few years. Lolla 07' during Pearl Jam. I spent most of the time deflecting peoples feet away from the girls that were with us.

The other was a QOTSA show where I got there too late. There was no room left in the 21+ balcony. A friend and I said Fuck and jumped right in the pit. It was good, I got up to front row.

Then the last Green River show in Portland was like the early 90's. Small Loud Venue. People getting punched and beer bottles flying around. Good Times! :twisted:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I know the OP wants to be all wise and all knowing, but don't take credit for something your generation didn't invent. Pearl Jam in my opinion, was never hard enough to be moshing to, even in 91. Besides, fans were moshing to bands much older than PJ like Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Megadeth, Pantera etc. Unless you were in you're 30's going to Pearl Jam shows in 91, then you are just as bad as the "kids" you are griping at.
    Let's see... in 1991 I was... 35.
    Did I win?

No, you're 53 and are arguing on a band's message pit. I would say you lost.
    Wait... did you even read your OWN fucking statement?
    'Besides, fans were moshing to bands much older than PJ like Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Megadeth, Pantera etc. Unless you were in you're 30's going to Pearl Jam shows in 91, then you are just as bad as the "kids" you are griping at.'
    So, what does age have to do with anything? What, I'm not allowed here because I am in the age bracket you set as a qualifier? How does THAT make any sense?
    And what... I'm too old to enjoy music that I have been listening to for all my life?
    You're probably young... so, i'll cut you some slack and won't tag the 'Idiot' or 'Stupid' label to your forehead. But, when you get to high school... try to make a little more sense.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PettyHeadPettyHead Erie, PA Posts: 128
    You know what is lame..........?

All you idiots tell people what to do and not do. Isn't this board about expressing how much you love PJ and how they have changed your life. People will do what they want at concerts, it is the music, the venue, the alcohol, etc... that will make people act a certain way. That is best part of the concert, just seeing what "else" is going to happen besides the show. Give it a break guys.
    1998 -Barrie, ON
    2003 -Cleveland
    2006 -Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2007 -Lolla
    2008 -EV -Santa Cruz, PJ -DC
    2009 -EV -Baltimore I & II, PJ -Chicago I
    2010 -Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 -EV -Detroit, Bridge School I & II, PJ -Toronto
    2013 -Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - PJ - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Toronto I, Wrigley I & II, TOTD - MSG
    2017 - PJ - NYC - RRHOF Induction, EV - Nashville
    2018 - Wrigley I & II
    2022 - Hamilton, ON, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago I & II
    2024 - Baltimore
  • Options
    PettyHead wrote:

All you idiots tell people what to do and not do. Isn't this board about expressing how much you love PJ and how they have changed your life. People will do what they want at concerts, it is the music, the venue, the alcohol, etc... that will make people act a certain way. That is best part of the concert, just seeing what "else" is going to happen besides the show. Give it a break guys.
    Ummmm...
    Aren't you telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    Cosmo wrote:

Kris Kross makes you wanna Jump, Jump!
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm not angry... really. i just think there are some thing you kids need to come up with on your own. I mean, I hear all this, 'You're old, Cosmo' or 'You've done it, Cosmo'... yeah, you're right, I am old and I've done it all. But how lame are you if you are still doing thing that us lame old people came up with... 18 years ago? I mean, do you still try to get a Wave going at a football game?
    Come up with something new, already. Or actually watch the band you've paid good money to SEE.

So you claim that was invented 18 years ago. I remember seeing mosh pits w/ black flag and even with the sex pistols more than 30 yrs ago.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again....Cosmo I LOVE YOU! I couldn't agree with you more!!!!
    I've been in my fair share of pits, and for some bands I know if I'm stupid enough to stand in the middle, near the front, I'm going to get a boot in the head or a drunken asshole come down and if I'm not careful break my neck in the name of having that kind of concert experience. It almost happened to a friend of mines sister at an Incubus show and we were standing along the boards (more than halfway back) when some asshole decides to superman dive OVER the boards and into the pit! He landed on her neck! Luckily she was ok...but sore for about a week after BUT it could have easily been a tragedy. Dude took THREE punches before he got away (one from each of us).
    Those people telling Cosmo to mind his business or to go fuck himself...Do you think its OUR fault when a mosher decides that the most sedate area on the floor is a GREAT place to get lifted up to surf or a GREAT place to start hurling their bodies at strangers???

It does piss me off that I cannot watch certain artists up close because people who couldnt' give a SHIT about whats going on up front want to throw themselves around like ragdolls or imagine they are back in 1992 and launch themselves over the crowd. I agree with Cosmo that THEY should be the ones in that space in front of the soundboard...not US. WE should be the ones up front cause we actually CARE to see what the artists have spent a LIFETIME (in some cases) perfecting! Call me selfish if u want...but aren't the moshers and surfers JUST as selfish???

Ohh and BTW....Whomever said people in mosh pits look out for each other has not been in the Pits I've been in cause its every person for themselves....esp if the moshers are under 25. I've found people older than that who surf (cause most won't mosh)...are a little more considerate about it (some exceptions...and I did say a LITTLE BIT). When a douchebag stag dove on me at Audioslave (and there was some moshing and stuff going on when old rage stuff was played) NOBODY held out a hand to help me up when I fell to the ground trying to protect my head. Everyone gasped and stared at me! Even Tom Morello! (he did ask if I was ok as I was pulling MYSELF up though) So don't give me...if you fall someone will pick you up in 3 seconds bullshit! I was at the rail and even security didn't come over to check on me!
    I've seen that kind of thing happen at other shows too. I will say this...occasionally a guy will help deflect a surfer away from me, but rarely. I have to get out of dodge or go with the flow...and when I have to go with the flow you better pray your shoes are on tight cause if I can pull one off I will. If a surfer is looking for his shoe he won't be jumping back up and blocking my fucking view of the stage anymore!!!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options

I've only been in 3 mosh pits in the last few years. Lolla 07' during Pearl Jam. I spent most of the time deflecting peoples feet away from the girls that were with us.

The other was a QOTSA show where I got there too late. There was no room left in the 21+ balcony. A friend and I said Fuck and jumped right in the pit. It was good, I got up to front row.

Then the last Green River show in Portland was like the early 90's. Small Loud Venue. People getting punched and beer bottles flying around. Good Times! :twisted:

I was right there with you at Lolla Ricky and I am VERY grateful to all of you guys for looking out for us gals that night. The company made the show THAT MUCH better that night :D

We were so far back I was shocked that there were so many douchebags doing that shit near us.
    It goes back to Cosmo's question...how is it OUR fault if we are standing in a calm spot and the moshing comes to US?? Its not! and I think that's mainly what Cosmo's beef is here. Mosh in one area away from the stage since none of you are paying attention to the band members themselves anyways and stay the fuck away from the rest of us.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options

I was right there with you at Lolla Ricky and I am VERY grateful to all of you guys for looking out for us gals that night. The company made the show THAT MUCH better that night :D

We were so far back I was shocked that there were so many douchebags doing that shit near us.
    It goes back to Cosmo's question...how is it OUR fault if we are standing in a calm spot and the moshing comes to US?? Its not! and I think that's mainly what Cosmo's beef is here. Mosh in one area away from the stage since none of you are paying attention to the band members themselves anyways and stay the fuck away from the rest of us.
    Hey, we weren't that far back ;):)

That Lolla crowd was pretty rough where we were because of the all the frat boys wanting to get real close. The last thing I wanted was for you Linda, or Mary Beth to take a Doc Marten in the face :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Cosmo wrote:
    Why do people always equate something they find distasteful with homosexuals? That's very 80's Cosmo...
    No... it is true.
    A lot of aggression in males is due to latent homosexual feelings... and makes them lash out, often against gays, in physical violence. They want the company of males but are confused because of external environmental influences.. such as parents or religious pressures, they seek male contact in physical, yet nno-sexual contact... such as plying grab man-ass in a mosh pit. There's a reason WHY a lot of high school football player types 'hate' gays so much... latent homosexuality. And the most Gay hating homophobes out there... often times, possess homosexual feelings (ref. Sen. Larry Craig, Rev. Ted Haggert).

so any one who moshes is secretly gay?? i really dont know what ass grabbing you were talking about in pits, maybe you thought you were at a rock concert but you made a wrong turn and ended up in a gay bar and didnt notice??
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    on the subject of people looking out for each other in the pits for rage i was at shit was crazy, but if a girl had to get out or was under pressure everyone stopped until she had gone, i thought people were quite respectufl, considering the point of a pit is to go a bit mad
  • Options
    zezitozezito Posts: 164
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    I know how powerful and moving music can be to the soul... and its power to energize the body... stimulate the mind... especially when experienced live.
    But, please be mindful... it is not 1991 anymore. You shoulda been there. I'm sorry if you were only 2 years old in '91 and missed out... that's your fault, not ours. And I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots who were buying and listening to M.C. Hammer or dressing like Vanilla Ice in '91... and are in your fucking 30s now and trying you get your licks in, in order to mentally erase your embarassing past by pretending you were 'Grunge' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) by moshing in 2009... but, seriously... you need to stop.
    Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time. That coin was spent a long time ago. Come up with something new, instead of trying to do what we used to do... all those yeas ago. I know, it is not easy... thinking is hard for you, huh? But just try... come up with something new... I believe in you.
    Now... if you STILL feel the need to Mosh at a concerts... there are several bands out there with fans in the same mental state as you. I heard Blink-182 is re-forming. That is your crowd. You can play your homo-erotica games of 'Grab Man-Ass' and 'Slap and Tackle' all you want with all the other males who share your latent homosexual feelings at those gigs... and really... the rest of us don't care. We WANT you to have fun... but, not at our expense. This is why God invented 'Fall-out Boy'... just for you.
    In closing... when you are that close to the stage next time... try to look towards the stage and pay attention to what is going on up THERE. There are some pretty interesting things going on up there... things you DON'T get to see everyday. I'm betting you have missed some pretty amazing shows, while you were out there, cluster fucking with other dudes. You can still rock out and express yourself physically... like the rest of us... without drawing attention to yourself so we can se how 'hard core' you are. We get it... you're 'Hard core, man'. Try it next time... watching the band, that is. I think you'll like it.
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo

Fisrt of all, I was there.
    Second, I never did and never will grow up.
    Third, people that com to PJ concerts nowadays are not there to hurt anyone, but for their release of energy and enjoyment of the concert
    Fourth, by saying what you said, is the same as saying that they should play only the new songs, once all the rest is in the past...bull****
    Fourth, if they did play only new songs, I bet my life that any 14 years old would love to bang their heads for that song. Get some is VERY rock and roll (ROCK AND ROLL!!!).
    Fitht, if you have artritis, or cannot stand for longer than an hour, there are always other places where you can seat. Specially your nice couch, with your nice woman bringing you beer (in case you still have some eventually) and your kids to offer you popcorn.
    "...take care of a couple of requests...one is from last night...I don't know if you are here again tonight...this first one...I'm not gonna tell you!"
    EV Adelaide 22-11-2006 ... yep I was there ... THANKS!
  • Options
    (Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time.)

That's one of bigges shit I've heard in this forum mate, if you are reading this you probably know people use to write lot of shit....but that one broke all the records.

WAVE - brazilian way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OKj9Eta2uw

MOSH PIT - as it should be, brazilian way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30Lp2FT ... L&index=57

Check out the take at 15 seconds from above.....man, thats the real feeling! ANIMAL!!!!
    "...take care of a couple of requests...one is from last night...I don't know if you are here again tonight...this first one...I'm not gonna tell you!"
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    yeah the dude has a point, moshing is ok, but at the end of the day its respect for people around you....

i have been at shows where idiots dancing like fools, paying no attention to the stage, kinda spoil it for people around them..

we all want to rock out at a pj gig, thats why were there, but remember to take it easy, thats all

how many times has ed spoke of this at shows???

anyhow a REAL moshpit is something you see at slayer gig :D
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    I know how powerful and moving music can be to the soul... and its power to energize the body... stimulate the mind... especially when experienced live.
    But, please be mindful... it is not 1991 anymore. You shoulda been there. I'm sorry if you were only 2 years old in '91 and missed out... that's your fault, not ours. And I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots who were buying and listening to M.C. Hammer or dressing like Vanilla Ice in '91... and are in your fucking 30s now and trying you get your licks in, in order to mentally erase your embarassing past by pretending you were 'Grunge' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) by moshing in 2009... but, seriously... you need to stop.
    Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time. That coin was spent a long time ago. Come up with something new, instead of trying to do what we used to do... all those yeas ago. I know, it is not easy... thinking is hard for you, huh? But just try... come up with something new... I believe in you.
    Now... if you STILL feel the need to Mosh at a concerts... there are several bands out there with fans in the same mental state as you. I heard Blink-182 is re-forming. That is your crowd. You can play your homo-erotica games of 'Grab Man-Ass' and 'Slap and Tackle' all you want with all the other males who share your latent homosexual feelings at those gigs... and really... the rest of us don't care. We WANT you to have fun... but, not at our expense. This is why God invented 'Fall-out Boy'... just for you.
    In closing... when you are that close to the stage next time... try to look towards the stage and pay attention to what is going on up THERE. There are some pretty interesting things going on up there... things you DON'T get to see everyday. I'm betting you have missed some pretty amazing shows, while you were out there, cluster fucking with other dudes. You can still rock out and express yourself physically... like the rest of us... without drawing attention to yourself so we can se how 'hard core' you are. We get it... you're 'Hard core, man'. Try it next time... watching the band, that is. I think you'll like it.
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo

Cosmo with another negative thread ripping something he doesn't like!

Get off it dude! People like you ruin shows for the rest of us that are there to have a good time. Be a stick in the mud from the stands. Don't stand in the front if you don't like to mix it up.

I don't remember the last time I saw a "pit" at a PJ show anyway....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    i have been at shows where idiots dancing like fools, paying no attention to the stage, ?

Seeing that most people don't even see the stage.... ;) They are there for the music, the excitement it brings, etc.
    we all want to rock out at a pj gig, thats why were there,

See above... they are just 'rocking out'.
  • Options
    worldsrivalworldsrival Posts: 260
    Dude... it's a fuckin ROCK concert, not church! You think the band wants to play to a bunch of people standing there just watching? Rock concerts should stimulate you, at least a little, to wanna move around/dance/scream etc. You gotta get involved. I don't like pits that are too rough either, but you gotta show SOMETHING.

if nothing is everything i would have it all
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    but I like dancing like a fool... :(
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    I don't think Cosmo cares if you're dancing.

Moshing and Dancing aren't the same thing :?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    redrock wrote:
    i have been at shows where idiots dancing like fools, paying no attention to the stage, ?

Seeing that most people don't even see the stage.... ;) They are there for the music, the excitement it brings, etc.

if they cant see the stage thats there problem, i have been to enough shows pj or not, to have a opinion

i know exactly why people go to a gig, what i dont know is why people on these pages cant hold a discussion without being patronising
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    redrock wrote:

if they cant see the stage thats there problem, i have been to enough shows pj or not, to have a opinion

i know exactly why people go to a gig, what i dont know is why people on these pages cant hold a discussion without being patronising

:?: :?: I'm confused here... where am I patronising? Where did I say you can't have an opinion? You were commenting people were dancing, not paying attention to the stage, I was saying for various reasons, lots of people don't even see the guys on stage so they rock out LISTENTING TO THE MUSIC (and not having to see the white of Eddie's eyes). They know damn well they won't be able to 'see' anything, and therefore pay attention to the stage, so they go for the whole 'experience', soak up the atmosphere (or else, you would choose to put an album on real loud and stay home). The people dancing (maybe like fools because they do not achieve your idea of what dancing is) are 'living' the music the way it flows through them. Some people may stand completely still with their eyes closed, others sit and bob their heads...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    PettyHead wrote:

Hey, enjoy the show all you want, so long as you aren't knocking me over. Your right to swing your fist ends at another man's nose and all that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    asher7asher7 Posts: 85
    Dude... it's a fuckin ROCK concert, not church! You think the band wants to play to a bunch of people standing there just watching? Rock concerts should stimulate you, at least a little, to wanna move around/dance/scream etc. You gotta get involved. I don't like pits that are too rough either, but you gotta show SOMETHING.

Watch Eddie's story of Alive and you will see how audience participation and energy was so important to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHnvmfikbM

If he appreciates the energy of movement in songs, then surely it has SOME validity, I understand you may not like it but other people do...that's life!

Also, I know that occasionely it can be annoying (e.g. hardcore dancing :roll: ) but most moshing really isn't that bad.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    awwwwwwwwwww shit!! look what ya done did...i feel a tag team ass beating coming on...ah oh, ah oh, ah oh...Hammer!
    The thing is... SOMEBODY bought those records. Someone was buying those pants. But, no one seems to admit it.
    And I can understand why. All of a sudden, the ones... and not the little kids, because most little kids have the worst taste in music (i.e. top selling artists Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers... whom those future 20someThings will probably say they were buying Pearl Jam CDs instead)... but the person who was 23 in 1991 and dressed like Vanilla Ice will probably NEVER admit to it. They will, more than likely, tell you they were listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains. And I don't really blame them. Lucky for them, there weren't cell phone cameras back then to prove otherwise.

well i admit it..I had some of those pants..they were comfy ass hell!..plenty of ball room..and they were in style then..and those two didn't create that style..it's just that they were big back then so that's what most non-rap listening white people saw and attributed it to..see, i hated them both! i listened to real rap, under ground if you will..and i still do to this day..as well as PJ, Alice in chains, nirvana, soundgarden...and a million other rock, grunge, alternative, metal groups etc etc

don't assume you have to be one or the other...i am capable of appreciating it all..fuck..i love all music except country...and top 40 type shit like Hammer & Vanilla were back in the day.
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo
    Someone's bitter.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    but I like dancing like a fool... :(

look for the Frank Zappa song... Dancin' fool ....says it all!
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm not angry... really. i just think there are some thing you kids need to come up with on your own. I mean, I hear all this, 'You're old, Cosmo' or 'You've done it, Cosmo'... yeah, you're right, I am old and I've done it all. But how lame are you if you are still doing thing that us lame old people came up with... 18 years ago? I mean, do you still try to get a Wave going at a football game?
    Come up with something new, already. Or actually watch the band you've paid good money to SEE.

You don't really look that old Cosmo, according to your photo.
    Although you should give up the smokes. :shock:
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."