Options

Dear Mosh Pitters...

Comments

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,535
    Lollapalooza 2007.

"Hard Core" Pj fans, moshing away.

I get called old everytime I say it, but moshing is stupid.

I wanted to hear "Education" for the first time without getting a kid dropped on me.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    sgossard3 wrote:
    your generation invented moshing? seems like a pretty natural response for a crowd full of excited youths... i mean pearl jam is the nostalgic 90's band... it makes more sense for me to mosh at the 90's band's concert full of cool 90's music instead of at something young and hip like fall out boy... afterall we have the 90's to thank for moshing and pearl jam... thank you 90's... us youngster today just want to play our xboxes and surf our internets :roll:

how is it not possible to watch the show AND mosh?... better than the old folks watching shows through a camera

i guess my idea of moshing excludes the knuckleheaded korn fans that just form a circle and ram eachother
    Actually... my generation came up with Punk Rock in the mid to late 70s. We came up with Pogo... to Slam-Dance to Moshing. It's time for you kids to pick up the slack... instead of relying on things you lame dad's generation did.
    As for those camera phones... that's your invention. Us old people don't like cell phones because we don't feel we are that fucking important that we need to contact our friends every time we decide what to eat for lunch.
    Now... someone mentioned 'Lamb Of God' and the wall of Death. See... THAT is something new and innovative. I went to the 'Lamb of God' gig... just to witness that. Unfortunately... it was in L.A. and all that happened were douchebag frat boy steroid shitheads pounding on people. But the the 'Lamb of God, Wall of Death'... that's something new and this generation can claim. That's what I'm talking about.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,351
    Most all venues and PJ themselves put a quick stop on all such activities at indoor gigs, festivals is another story if you wan't to mosh just go to the outdoor festivals ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    this thread is a hoot! thanks for the laugh. :mrgreen:
    It was meant to be kinda tongue in cheek... I guess some people took it to heart.
    I'm glad you got the joke.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    I never moshed.

But now I feel really lame for doing the wave at Dodger games still. :oops: :oops:

not really - I do it proudly!!. 8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    **************************NEWSFLASH ************************

nobody mosh's anymore you old fuckers :lol:

i mean seriously? wtf are you talking about? i havent seen that shit since Korn @ Lollaplaooza in the 90's
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

But now I feel really lame for doing the wave at Dodger games still. :oops: :oops:

the wave is lame and i am embarrassed it still takes place :oops: :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Cosmo wrote:
    Actually... my generation came up with Punk Rock in the mid to late 70s. We came up with Pogo... to Slam-Dance to Moshing. It's time for you kids to pick up the slack... instead of relying on things you lame dad's generation did.
    As for those camera phones... that's your invention. Us old people don't like cell phones because we don't feel we are that fucking important that we need to contact our friends every time we decide what to eat for lunch.
    Now... someone mentioned 'Lamb Of God' and the wall of Death. See... THAT is something new and innovative. I went to the 'Lamb of God' gig... just to witness that. Unfortunately... it was in L.A. and all that happened were douchebag frat boy steroid shitheads pounding on people. But the the 'Lamb of God, Wall of Death'... that's something new and this generation can claim. That's what I'm talking about.
    eh... i dont have many ties to my generation anyway... musically or technologically... just playing devils advocate... no need to improve upon a good thing... agressive music and an agressive crowd go together like peanut butter and jelly... the fact that we havent come up with anything news is just a sign of respect towards the past... i mean, we dont have much of anything to claim as our own anymore anyway
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

the wave is lame and i am embarrassed it still takes place :oops: :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Oh go blow up a beach ball.!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

Seriously.. I think Dodgers Stadium is the only place where the wave is still done.
    Then, again... look at how long Dodgers Stadium clung to Helen Dell at the console of the Dodgers Stadium Conn Ogan... playing the 'Mexican Hat Dance'.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

Seriously.. I think Dodgers Stadium is the only place where the wave is still done.
    Then, again... look at how long Dodgers Stadium clung to Helen Dell at the console of the Dodgers Stadium Conn Ogan... playing the 'Mexican Hat Dance'.

i'd much rather listen to helen than kanye or whatever rap shit they blast now
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,932
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

Went to an All Blacks game in NZ once. When the Wave came around whatever you were drinking went up in the air as well. Put a whole new spin on the wave for us. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Course almost freezing to death at the campsite later that night was not quite so fun ;) :ugeek:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

Went to an All Blacks game in NZ once. When the Wave came around whatever you were drinking went up in the air as well. Put a whole new spin on the wave for us. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Course almost freezing to death at the campsite later that night was not quite so fun ;) :ugeek:

see you were punished for doing the wave...as it should be;) :lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I never moshed.

Now see... THAT is a NEW SPIN on the wave. I think that if there is going to be a wave... whatever you have in your hands should be tossed into the air... a beer, a Coke, a hot dog with onions and relish, a baby... THAT would be something new.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Cosmo wrote:
    norm wrote:

Now see... THAT is a NEW SPIN on the wave. I think that if there is going to be a wave... whatever you have in your hands should be tossed into the air... a beer, a Coke, a hot dog with onions and relish, a baby... THAT would be something new.
    wouldnt the baby get hurt?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    norm wrote:

A baby ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

nah....he's crowd surfing....riding that wave where it takes him :P :lol::mrgreen:
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    I figured that most people would get upset about losing a beer.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

see you were punished for doing the wave...as it should be;) :lol::lol::mrgreen:

:cry: :x
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:

nah....he's crowd surfing....riding that wave where it takes him :P :lol::mrgreen:

. . . and that brings us back to mosh pitting :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    well. moshing wasn't invented in the 90s. go check out some early 80s punk videos and you'll notice they were doing it back then.
    I don't need to check out some old Punk Rock videos... I was IN those old Punk Rock videos.
    And yeah, they were rough... Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, The Germs, The Gears, Geza-X were probably the roughest. We didn't miss much of the show... because Rollins or Darby would jump off the stage and slam-Dance with us.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Cosmo wrote:
    well. moshing wasn't invented in the 90s. go check out some early 80s punk videos and you'll notice they were doing it back then.
    I don't need to check out some old Punk Rock videos... I was IN those old Punk Rock videos.
    And yeah, they were rough... Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, The Germs, The Gears, Geza-X were probably the roughest. We didn't miss much of the show... because Rollins or Darby would jump off the stage and slam-Dance with us.

yeah for some songs it would be grand to mosh to, leash, sonic reducer, comatose, got some etc

you dont have to be in the pit if you dont want to either, i just dont see how its a big deal!! i mean id love to be from your generation cuase some of my favourite bands you just mentioned there!! and we want to live that expieriance now cause most of the new music is pure wank!! ye should be glad were in to music from yeer generation, it basiclly validates your whole movement, if only we had the the same class of musical pioneers that were around then today
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    edited June 2009
    My favorite mosh pit story ...

At some show in the mid-90s, could have been Bush, or the Toadies, or the Pumpkins .... there was a dude in the pit IN A WHEEL CHAIR.

We all thought that was hilarious.

Then, halfway through the show, the dude in the wheelchair goes crowd surfing by. IN HIS WHEELCHAIR.

We thought that was hilarious.

Little bit later, here comes the wheelchair again. But it is empty. What happened to the handicapped dude?

We thought that was hilarious, too. But looking back, maybe we should have been a little more worried about him.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

At some show in the mid-90s, could have been Bush, or the Toadies, or the Pumpkins .... there was a dude in the pit IN A WHEEL CHAIR.

Then, halfway through the show, the dude in the wheelchair goes CROWD SURFING by.

Little bit later, here comes the wheelchair again. But it is empty. What happened to the handicapped dude?

We thought that was hilarious, too. But looking back, maybe we should have been a little more worried about him.

that is a brilliant story, im in stitches here :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    satansbed wrote:

Then, halfway through the show, the dude in the wheelchair goes CROWD SURFING by.

And the thing is, I think might be 50-50 that the guy was crowd surfing against his will. Someone might have just lifted him up ... how was he going to stop them?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    im no fan of moshing since i had my surgery haha, not like i was ever into it, when I did it that one time at the killers I got trampled by a big fat sweaty dude who was being a dickface :(
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:

And the thing is, I think might be 50-50 that the guy was crowd surfing against his will. Someone might have just lifted him up ... how was he going to stop them?

well at least he had the brass balls to go the general admission area in a wheel chair, i dont know if id be that brave
  • Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    The initial post of this thread makes you sound like an angry, old fucker. I agree with a lot that you've said in some of your replies Cosmo, but I think there should always be a place for a mosh pit.

You are putting too much emphasis on the need to reinvent the wheel and create something new. Heavy, aggressive music deserves an energetic and violent response. I saw nine inch nails last week here in Chicago and that show, like every other nin show I've been too, was enhanced by being in the pit. I'm not old enough to have some of the awesome experiences you speak of in the 80's, but I don't see a huge difference in crowds I was moshing with as a teen in the 90's versus today.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Dear Mosh Pitters,
    I know how powerful and moving music can be to the soul... and its power to energize the body... stimulate the mind... especially when experienced live.
    But, please be mindful... it is not 1991 anymore. You shoulda been there. I'm sorry if you were only 2 years old in '91 and missed out... that's your fault, not ours. And I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots who were buying and listening to M.C. Hammer or dressing like Vanilla Ice in '91... and are in your fucking 30s now and trying you get your licks in, in order to mentally erase your embarassing past by pretending you were 'Grunge' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) by moshing in 2009... but, seriously... you need to stop.
    Mosh Pits are to Concerts as Human Waves are to Baseball games... Lame and past it's time. That coin was spent a long time ago. Come up with something new, instead of trying to do what we used to do... all those yeas ago. I know, it is not easy... thinking is hard for you, huh? But just try... come up with something new... I believe in you.
    Now... if you STILL feel the need to Mosh at a concerts... there are several bands out there with fans in the same mental state as you. I heard Blink-182 is re-forming. That is your crowd. You can play your homo-erotica games of 'Grab Man-Ass' and 'Slap and Tackle' all you want with all the other males who share your latent homosexual feelings at those gigs... and really... the rest of us don't care. We WANT you to have fun... but, not at our expense. This is why God invented 'Fall-out Boy'... just for you.
    In closing... when you are that close to the stage next time... try to look towards the stage and pay attention to what is going on up THERE. There are some pretty interesting things going on up there... things you DON'T get to see everyday. I'm betting you have missed some pretty amazing shows, while you were out there, cluster fucking with other dudes. You can still rock out and express yourself physically... like the rest of us... without drawing attention to yourself so we can se how 'hard core' you are. We get it... you're 'Hard core, man'. Try it next time... watching the band, that is. I think you'll like it.
    Respectfully yours...
    cosmo

ladies and gentlemen. i present to you the coolest dude in the world...
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

yeah for some songs it would be grand to mosh to, leash, sonic reducer, comatose, got some etc

you dont have to be in the pit if you dont want to either, i just dont see how its a big deal!! i mean id love to be from your generation cuase some of my favourite bands you just mentioned there!! and we want to live that expieriance now cause most of the new music is pure wank!! ye should be glad were in to music from yeer generation, it basiclly validates your whole movement, if only we had the the same class of musical pioneers that were around then today
    Hey... I think that there are some bands where you expect mosh pits to break out. I love to go to Pennywise shows because the audience is part of the show. And yeah, I steer clear of them. Besides, Pennywise does not possess... in my personal opinion... so much of a command of their instruments that I would want to be close enough to watch. And bands like the Dropkick Murphys, The Vandals and NOFX... moshing is expected.
    But, it seems like nowadays... the moshing is mostly done by these college frat boy shitheads that don't give a shit. Most of the fans of the bands actually want to Watch the Band. Those other bands I talked about... those are the types of bands where the fans are in the pit and there aren't those frat boy douchbag types anywhere to be seen.
    Also, I don't mean to start a generation war... I'm just standing up for the fact that so-called 'old' people... like me... came up with The Clash, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, X, Elvis Costello. So, anyone that rags on me... because of my age... rags on them, too.
    And yeah, a lot of Pearl Jam songs would be fun to mosh to... which is fine. Just don't do it when you're that close to the stage... do it in the back... where's there's plenty of room to play and you can't see the band anyway.
    And TRUST ME... if you are ever that close to the stage when Pearl Jam is on... you will WANT to see Mike in action, rather than pushing and shoving some random dude. It's not everyday you will get to see Pearl Jam... you will want to record every aspect to your mind's memory for playback later. You memories will be much better if they recall the things going on onstage... than the things going on in the pit.
    I'm speaking from experience... I don't remember much of the Pearl Jam show in Indio, CA. in 1993 because the Moshing was so huge. I remember a lot about the Mosh Pit... but, not a lot about many of the songs.
    Hail, Hail!!!