Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Ken Burns "Baseball" and "The Civil War" are played A LOT on my dvd player.

I've not watched the baseball doc, but the Civil War doc is on my external hard drive. It's a keeper.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Ken Burns "Baseball" and "The Civil War" are played A LOT on my dvd player.

I've not watched the baseball doc, but the Civil War doc is on my external hard drive. It's a keeper.

Both were really well done.

Has anyone seen the Tenth Inning? Ken Burns' Update to the original Baseball doc?

I've yet to see it.

(see it's on Netflix, add to queue)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited May 2011
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Man on Wire and Grizzly Man. Infact, anything Herzog directed.

It's cool to see so many Herzog fans in here :thumbup: I'm also a big fans of his. For anyone who might want to know - there exists a dvd box with his early documentaries and shorts. Really good stuff!

I've seen some of the docus that have been recommended here and just want to add Maradona by Kusturica, as the title suggests, a portrait of Diego Maradona by Emir Kusturica. It's really entertaining and insightful. I love Kusturica's work, and Maradona is awesome in this.

Another one I thought was really good was Prisoner of Paradise by Malcolm Clarke. It's "the true story of Kurt Gerron, a German-Jewish cabaret and film actor in the 1920s and 1930s who was sent to the Theresienstadt concentration camp where he was commanded to write and direct a Nazi propaganda film" (wikipedia).
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
    Leeze wrote:
    I've seen some of the docus that have been recommended here and just want to add Maradona by Kusturica, as the title suggests, a portrait of Diego Maradona by Emir Kusturica. It's really entertaining and insightful. I love Kusturica's work, and Maradona is awesome in this.

Another one I thought was really good was Prisoner of Paradise by Malcolm Clarke. It's "the true story of Kurt Gerron, a German-Jewish cabaret and film actor in the 1920s and 1930s who was sent to the Theresienstadt concentration camp where he was commanded to write and direct a Nazi propaganda film" (wikipedia).

Thanks. Not heard of these before. I'll check 'em out.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    A few randomly selected docs I've watched recently...

Yugoslavia: The Avoidable War - loooong, but interesting. There are a lot of complaints in the comments below this vid, that it was a pro-Serb revisionist piece, but I don't know the history well enoughto judge that for myself...there was def a lot of time spent trying to counter what the doc claimed to be Western propaganda (that really happens? ;) ) aimed at helping the other warring factions break up the country...but it did seem to highlight the fact that no one was a winner, and that war is hell for all involved. If anyone has any suggestions about other docs on this topic, I'd appreciate them. Sounds like the Death of Yugoslavia is a bit of a counter-point to this film....I'll check that out next unless someone suggest something better. Srebrenica: A Cry from the Grave could be interesting, but would likely be depressing as hell..

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/yugoslav ... dable-war/

First Earth: Uncompromising Ecological Architecture
    - thoroughly enjoyed this one! It's about building with adobe and cob, and sustainability in general...was sad (and not surprised at all) to learn that these earthen structures won't work in my climate, or I'd have been out building a mud hut this weekend ;)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/first-ea ... hitecture/

The Light Bulb Conspiracy: the Untold Story of Planned Obsolescence
    Very insightful doc that begins by telling the story of the cartel of lighbulb manufacturers who conspired to limit the light bulb's life span in the 1920's...and naturally, turns into a scathing indictment of capitalism and consumer culture in general....
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/light-bulb-conspiracy/

And I need to watch Man on a Wire, too! Have been meaning to forever and keep forgetting about it!
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Leeze wrote:
    It's cool to see so many Herzog fans in here :thumbup: I'm also a big fans of his. For anyone who might want to know - there exists a dvd box with his early documentaries and shorts. Really good stuff!

Werner is awesome. I was lucky enough to get to interview him at a film festival and he couldn't be a nicer and more interesting human being. He basically said that he made his first movie before he made his first telephone call. I love how that man chooses to express himself, he's truly one of a kind. I need to get off my ass and go see "Cave of Forgotten Dreams".
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    dunkman wrote:

Auschwitz - The Final Solution

Just finished this one today. I don't know what to say. It's very detailed and very well done. Learned a few things too.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110480/
    Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307385/
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110480/
    Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307385/

These both look good.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

Werner is awesome. I was lucky enough to get to interview him at a film festival and he couldn't be a nicer and more interesting human being. He basically said that he made his first movie before he made his first telephone call. I love how that man chooses to express himself, he's truly one of a kind. I need to get off my ass and go see "Cave of Forgotten Dreams".

Wow, you interviewed him? :thumbup: In the beginning, his style of commentary sounded a bit strange to me, but now I really enjoy his nasal, calm narration with that slight Bavarian accent ...

"My best fiend" is also a great documentary, it's about the relationship of Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski. There's some really crazy stories in it, very entertaining, sometimes frightening, but overall it's very insightful and really worth watching those two geniusses clash and fight and understand eachother at the same time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Best_Fiend
    Leeze wrote:

"My best fiend" is also a great documentary, it's about the relationship of Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski. There's some really crazy stories in it, very entertaining, sometimes frightening, but overall it's very insightful and really worth watching those two geniusses clash and fight and understand eachother at the same time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Best_Fiend

I'll have to check this out. I wish my dumb ass would have been smart enough to keep the raw footage from the interview I did with him so I could post it but alas, it is in the hands of my old company and all I have left is what was edited into the final piece. The interview was like 15-20 mins long and he jumped all over the place, talking about his childhood to why Roger Ebert is important for film. He's such an interesting person.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    First Earth: Uncompromising Ecological Architecture - thoroughly enjoyed this one! It's about building with adobe and cob, and sustainability in general...was sad (and not surprised at all) to learn that these earthen structures won't work in my climate, or I'd have been out building a mud hut this weekend ;)

you should be able to do strawbale where you are ... or an earthship ... lots of options outside of adobe and cob which basically are only useful in warm and dry climates ...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    polaris_x wrote:
    First Earth: Uncompromising Ecological Architecture - thoroughly enjoyed this one! It's about building with adobe and cob, and sustainability in general...was sad (and not surprised at all) to learn that these earthen structures won't work in my climate, or I'd have been out building a mud hut this weekend ;)

you should be able to do strawbale where you are ... or an earthship ... lots of options outside of adobe and cob which basically are only useful in warm and dry climates ...
    Ya, I looked into it a bit after watching the documentary and it seems strawbale would be the material of choice in this climate. Strawbale seems really impractical compared to cob...but then, living in Edmonton is really impractical compared to Portland, so I guess it's all relative. :lol: Not familiar with earthship construction, I'll have to check that out...thanks!
    I actually thought of you when watching this, I know you're a very eco-aware person...I think you'd enjoy this movie if you haven't seen it, there is more to it than just the adobe/cob construction aspect - the info about sustainability and urban planning was pretty compelling....
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Ya, I looked into it a bit after watching the documentary and it seems strawbale would be the material of choice in this climate. Strawbale seems really impractical compared to cob...but then, living in Edmonton is really impractical compared to Portland, so I guess it's all relative. :lol: Not familiar with earthship construction, I'll have to check that out...thanks!
    I actually thought of you when watching this, I know you're a very eco-aware person...I think you'd enjoy this movie if you haven't seen it, there is more to it than just the adobe/cob construction aspect - the info about sustainability and urban planning was pretty compelling....

yeah ... i've volunteered at a couple of strawbale builds and an earthship ...i watched the clip that was in the link you sent and it sounds like a lot of stuff i've read or seen ...

environmentally speaking - living in the city ... the best choice is to upgrade your current accommodations so the place is energy efficient ... tearing down a house and building a strawbale may not be that eco-friendly ...

as far as the urban planning goes ... i definitely believe in the return to "villages" ... localized communities that generate their own power and grow their own food ... and i'm not talking necessarily about a huge roll back in time but simply things like power generation would be much more efficient if it was localized to a smaller community vs mass produced and transmitted across large areas ... same thing with food production ... fuck lawns - we should be growing food ...
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Tribe ... Bruce Parry living with indigenous tribes around the world.An amazing series
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Tribe ... Bruce Parry living with indigenous tribes around the world.An amazing series

I have the dvd box set. :ugeek:
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Byrnzie wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Not :ugeek: at all :D Every series was amazing ... did you see the three specials he did? The Amazon,The North Pole Expedition and The Survival Charity Special which also had a book and C.D of world music? :ugeek:

If not you should check them out :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • The King of Kong
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Not :ugeek: at all :D Every series was amazing ... did you see the three specials he did? The Amazon,The North Pole Expedition and The Survival Charity Special which also had a book and C.D of world music? :ugeek:

If not you should check them out :D

I saw the Arctic series, and the Amazon series. Haven't seen the Charity program though.
  • bm183103bm183103 Posts: 8
    exit through the gift shop
    Watched this the other night. Really interesting if you are a film dork like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iwG76tnWgg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Gimme Shelter
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Wasteland: Awesome...just awesome...
    Darwin's Nightmare: not my favourite...poor filming...but covers the most important things...
    Tapped: Water bottles and ground water issue in the states...very informative...
    Ingredients: Wanted me to get out and make my own garden!! AWESOME...although there are some who are snarky in it.... :lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Anybody see this?

http://current.com/shows/fifty-documentaries/

I'm watching it, but Mr RK isn't really into docs, so I watch them when he's not home.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This is a good one:

Last Train Home

“Filmmaker Lixin Fan may very well be one of modern-day China’s great non-fiction storytellers…. LAST TRAIN HOME is a documentary masterpiece!” —Brian Brooks, INDIEWIRE

10.03.04-Last-Train-Home-Festival-Poster.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPJiR1eu_I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_Home_%28film%29
    'Last Train Home is a 2009 documentary film directed by Lixin Fan and produced by Daniel Cross and Mila Aung-Thwin of EyeSteelFilm. Last Train Home won the Best Documentary Feature at 2009 IDFA and will be distributed by Zeitgeist Films in the US territory.

Every spring, China's cities are plunged into chaos as 130 million migrant workers travel back to their home villages for the New Year's holiday. This mass exodus is the world's largest human migration, an epic spectacle that exposes a nation tragically caught between its rural past and industrial future.

Working over several years in classic cinéma vérité style, director Lixin Fan travelled with one couple who have embarked on this annual trek for almost two decades. Like many of China's rural poor, the Zhangs have left their Chinese village and their newborn daughter to find work in Guangzhou in a garment factory for 16 years and see her only once a year during the Spring Festival. Their daughter Qin, now a restless and rebellious teenager- bitterly resents her parents' absence and longs for her own freedom away from school and her rural hometown, much to the dismay of her parents. Emotionally charged and starkly beautiful, Last Train Home examines one fractured family to shed light on the human cost of China's ascendence as an economic superpower.'

This was Depressing, Good but depressing, felt bad for the girl.
  • the wonderfull whites. is a done by johnny knoxville and dickhouse productions. its about americas last outlaw family. pill popping drug deaaling alcholic murders. it was fantastic.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
    Wasteland: Awesome...just awesome...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've down^&#*%ed it and will watch it tonight.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This is a good one:

Last Train Home

“Filmmaker Lixin Fan may very well be one of modern-day China’s great non-fiction storytellers…. LAST TRAIN HOME is a documentary masterpiece!” —Brian Brooks, INDIEWIRE

10.03.04-Last-Train-Home-Festival-Poster.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPJiR1eu_I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_Home_%28film%29
    'Last Train Home is a 2009 documentary film directed by Lixin Fan and produced by Daniel Cross and Mila Aung-Thwin of EyeSteelFilm. Last Train Home won the Best Documentary Feature at 2009 IDFA and will be distributed by Zeitgeist Films in the US territory.

Every spring, China's cities are plunged into chaos as 130 million migrant workers travel back to their home villages for the New Year's holiday. This mass exodus is the world's largest human migration, an epic spectacle that exposes a nation tragically caught between its rural past and industrial future.

Working over several years in classic cinéma vérité style, director Lixin Fan travelled with one couple who have embarked on this annual trek for almost two decades. Like many of China's rural poor, the Zhangs have left their Chinese village and their newborn daughter to find work in Guangzhou in a garment factory for 16 years and see her only once a year during the Spring Festival. Their daughter Qin, now a restless and rebellious teenager- bitterly resents her parents' absence and longs for her own freedom away from school and her rural hometown, much to the dismay of her parents. Emotionally charged and starkly beautiful, Last Train Home examines one fractured family to shed light on the human cost of China's ascendence as an economic superpower.'

This was Depressing, Good but depressing, felt bad for the girl.

Also, there's a lot more to China than this doc may lead people to believe. Too many docs about China focus on the negative.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Anybody see this?

http://current.com/shows/fifty-documentaries/

I'm watching it, but Mr RK isn't really into docs, so I watch them when he's not home.

Cheers. A few there that I'm gonna check out.
    Watched This last night. Outstanding look at perhaps the best hip hop group of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0im47C0r_E