Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Watched This last night. Outstanding look at perhaps the best hip hop group of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0im47C0r_E

I want to see this!!!!!! :mrgreen: Did you rent it or is it in theatres? I haven't yet seen a trailer that says when it came out. :?
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Watched This last night. Outstanding look at perhaps the best hip hop group of all time.

I want to see this!!!!!! :mrgreen: Did you rent it or is it in theatres? I haven't yet seen a trailer that says when it came out. :?

It just came out on DVD. Of all the music documentaries that have come out in the last couple of years, I would put this one as my 2nd favorite behind a film Cameron Crowe did about some band I had previously never heard of ;)
    Heisenberg wrote:

Heisenberg wrote:
    It just came out on DVD. Of all the music documentaries that have come out in the last couple of years, I would put this one as my 2nd favorite behind a film Cameron Crowe did about some band I had previously never heard of ;)

:lol:
    Thank you! I will be renting it tonight!
  • 'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Watched Warner Herzog's 'Cave of Forgotten Dreams' last week. Highly recommended.
    edited May 2012
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
    I watched 'The Interrupters' on a plane yesterday. A bit of a grim documentary about people who try to prevent gang shootings in the Inglewood area of Chicago, but worth a watch. Some of those areas look like they're just overwhelmed by violence. There are some seriously fucked-up places in America.

STB0911-INTERPRETERS01.jpg
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I watched 'The Interrupters' on a plane yesterday. A bit of a grim documentary about people who try to prevent gang shootings in the Inglewood area of Chicago, but worth a watch. Some of those areas look like they're just overwhelmed by violence. There are some seriously fucked-up places in America.

STB0911-INTERPRETERS01.jpg

I really want to see this! The previews look great. I didn't know it was already showing on planes.

Another good doc is one I saw on PBS a few years ago: Life Matters. It's the story of a minister-turned-abortion-provider in rural Texas before Roe v Wade.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    The King of Kong

so good.

american movie is one of my faves as well. food inc. too.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    The King of Kong

so good.

american movie is one of my faves as well. food inc. too.
    If ya like this you need to see Chasing Ghosts. Its the one before Kong. Very hard to find but if u see it watch it. I like it better.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    Just watched 'On Any Sunday', a 1971 American documentary about motorcycle racers. Very cool movie.

sol_0311047g_p2_z1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Any_Sunday
    '...It was nominated for a 1972 Academy Award for Documentary Feature. [1]

This documentary follows the lives of motorcycle racers and racing enthusiasts. Brown tried to show the unique talents needed for the different forms of racing. For instance, the motocross riders were typically free-spirited types, while desert racers were often loners. In Grand National racing, Brown showed the differing personalities, such as the business-like approach to racing displayed by Mert Lawwill versus the carefree approach that wild young rookie David Aldana became known for.[2]

Steve McQueen is featured in the film, along with Mert Lawwill, Malcolm Smith and many other motorcycle racers from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Critical reception

On Any Sunday is often credited as the best and/or most important motorcycle documentary ever made. Roger Ebert says it "does for motorcycle racing what The Endless Summer did for surfing". Ebert praises the film's high level of artistry in accomplishing the impressive footage of motorcycle races (which he says are difficult to film), and he also credits the film for not bothering viewers with the technical details of how the filming was done
  • Here are a couple I watched recentlly that I enjoyed:

George Harrison Living in a Material World- would highly recommend that just came out on HBO

Inside Job

Food Inc.- been around awhile but still good to watch and remember to think about the food you are eating
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there...."
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    edited November 2012
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    Just saw Page One: Inside The New York Times

Pretty good stuff.
    American Movie
    The Filth and the Fury
    The Cats of Mirikitani
    Trudell
    Please Vote for Me
    The Philosophy Kings
    Man on Wire
    The Parking Lot Movie
    Fat,Sick & Nearly Dead
    Jean-Michel Basquiat:The Radiant Child
    American:The Bill Hicks Story

Cool.

A few here I need to check out, beginning with 'The Philosopher Kings', and 'Trudell'.
    edited January 2012
    This looks good:

"A Good Day To Die" - Dennis Banks & The American Indian Movement'

AGDTD_Header.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ijanExWgIg
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Tom Petty's Runnin' Down A Dream... :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    edited November 2012
    I was actually hoping you'd find 'Trudell' on my list. I think you'd really like John Trudell,Byrnzie. Even if you didn't care for his poetry,or some other aspect of his life's work, I think you could appreciate his dedication to clarity of thought.

Thanks. I have heard of him before though. He's mentioned a lot in Peter Matthiessen's book 'In The Spirit of Crazy Horse'. Also saw him in the movie 'Thunderheart' and the documentary 'Incident At Oglala'.
    edited November 2012
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    This film is proof that truth is stranger than fiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FcZrg_Nuo
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This film is proof that truth is stranger than fiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FcZrg_Nuo

looks interesting

like putting a marshmallow in a parking meter... *snicker* :lol:
    The Parking Lot Movie

:thumbup: I liked this one. I could relate to it after working in a call centre many moons ago and having to deal with the general public.
    The Cats of Mirikitani

Just watched this. I like it a lot. Makes you wonder how many more homeless people there are out there with interesting stories to tell about their lives?
    edited November 2012
    edited November 2012
    I watched the trailer for 'A Good Day to Die'. Looks interesting.I'm glad you posted the trailer.

Same thing happening today in Tibet. Cultural genocide.

Watched this yesterday too (Yeah, It's Chinese New Years holiday :) )

It's a good one. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to sit through the whole thing at first as I hate the art crowd/scene. Bunch of pretentious money oriented tossers. But this showed another side to it - the 0.009% element of integrity side.
    I knew about Basquiat before from having seen the Schnabel movie, but this covered a lot more ground. There was a lot more to him than I knew before. Shame he was hijacked by the money crowd and then left out to dry/die. But I suppose that's the way it usually goes.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:

Watched this yesterday too (Yeah, It's Chinese New Years holiday :) )

It's a good one. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to sit through the whole thing at first as I hate the art crowd/scene. Bunch of pretentious money oriented tossers. But this showed another side to it - the 0.009% element of integrity side.
    I knew about Basquiat before from having seen the Schnabel movie, but this covered a lot more ground. There was a lot more to him than I knew before. Shame he was hijacked by the money crowd and then left out to dry/die. But I suppose that's the way it usually goes.

must be something in the water. i watched radiant child thursday night. i so love that piece he did of himself and warhol.

oh and if you hate the art world then exit through the gift shop is a must. tho i consider it more a mockumentary.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited November 2012