Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    norm wrote:

Yes yes!
    You guys listed pretty much all my favorites. I'm a total documentary movie dork, love em.

Paradise Lost is very powerful, about the WM3.

I also "liked" Bowling for Columbine... if you can like something like that, you know?
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    NickyNooch wrote:
    "Who the &*$% is Jackson Pollock" is pretty good along similar topic. An old lady truck driver finds a painting, buys it for 5 bucks and discovers it may be a Jackson Pollock painting. The film goes through all the testing, interviews, and artist opinions on the painting. Really interesting stuff.
    this was good.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Not one to pick favs (typing is easier than thinking anyway), I'll just list what I've collected in the last year...if I didn't like it, or at least find it interesting, I got rid of it...
    I've come across many thru people on this board...I also 'discovered' a few on my own thru imdb...but damn, making a thread like this would've been so much easier (maybe I'll try netfile for searches?)
    Lots of good suggestions in this thread - thanks folks :)

here goes, alphabetical order (some are loosely labelled documentaries ;) )

Down the Rabbit Hole (What the bleep do we know? five disc set) - quantum physics/philosophy/perceptions etc
    Controlling Our Food - monsanto corp., GMO plant seed etc.
    FLOW: for love of Water
    Grass - The History of Marijuana (woody harrelson narrates)
    Howard Zinn - You Can't Be Neutral On a Moving Train
    Idiocracy - by Mike Judge on the future (HAD to put in the doc category ;) )
    Iraq For Sale - the War Profiteers and
    Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price, Outfoxed, and Uncovered - both by Robert Greenwald
    Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky on the mainstream media
    Occupation 101 - Palestine/Israel
    Religulous - Bill Maher on religion
    Sicko, Farenheit 9/11 - Moore
    The Corporation, Naomi Klein on capitalism
    The Take (La Toma)- Naomi Klein / Avi Lewis on the Argentinian co-op labour movement
    The Obama Deception, End Game - Alex Jones :shock: ;) on doom
    The Iron Wall - palestine/Israel
    The Money Masters - banking system
    The Pharmacratic Inquisition - psychadelics thruout history
    The Union - the Business Behind Getting High - marijuana prohibition (heard there's a sequel?)
    Zeitgeist 1 & 2

I recommend The Take (La Toma)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzXln5kbuw
    I saw an interview with Naomi Klein laughing about how she got funding from the Canadian govt for a human interest story in Argentina, and it ended up being this quasi - Communist propaganda piece :lol:....it's pretty political, but told from the point of view of one group of workers - one family in particular...it adds suspense and personal interst - totally dug it.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Not one to pick favs (typing is easier than thinking anyway), I'll just list what I've collected in the last year...if I didn't like it, or at least find it interesting, I got rid of it...
    I've come across many thru people on this board...I also 'discovered' a few on my own thru imdb...but damn, making a thread like this would've been so much easier (maybe I'll try netfile for searches?)
    Lots of good suggestions in this thread - thanks folks :)

here goes, alphabetical order (some are loosely labelled documentaries ;) )

Down the Rabbit Hole (What the bleep do we know? five disc set) - quantum physics/philosophy/perceptions etc
    Controlling Our Food - monsanto corp., GMO plant seed etc.
    FLOW: for love of Water
    Grass - The History of Marijuana (woody harrelson narrates)
    Howard Zinn - You Can't Be Neutral On a Moving Train
    Idiocracy - by Mike Judge on the future (HAD to put in the doc category ;) )
    Iraq For Sale - the War Profiteers and
    Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price, Outfoxed, and Uncovered - both by Robert Greenwald
    Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky on the mainstream media
    Occupation 101 - Palestine/Israel
    Religulous - Bill Maher on religion
    Sicko, Farenheit 9/11 - Moore
    The Corporation, Naomi Klein on capitalism
    The Take (La Toma)- Naomi Klein / Avi Lewis on the Argentinian co-op labour movement
    The Obama Deception, End Game - Alex Jones :shock: ;) on doom
    The Iron Wall - palestine/Israel
    The Money Masters - banking system
    The Pharmacratic Inquisition - psychadelics thruout history
    The Union - the Business Behind Getting High - marijuana prohibition (heard there's a sequel?)
    Zeitgeist 1 & 2

I recommend The Take (La Toma)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzXln5kbuw
    I saw an interview with Naomi Klein laughing about how she got funding from the Canadian govt for a human interest story in Argentina, and it ended up being this quasi - Communist propaganda piece :lol:....it's pretty political, but told from the point of view of one group of workers - one family in particular...it adds suspense and personal interst - totally dug it.

Thanks for those. I forgot to include the Zinn doc in my list.

'Down the Rabbit Hole' looks interesting.
    Byrnzie wrote:

'Down the Rabbit Hole' looks interesting.

It's AWESOME....I've watched the movie itself multiple times - lots to wrap your head around...haven't made it thru all the extras in the five discs...very thought provoking stuff!

edit: and thanks to you, Byrnzie, for Occupation 101 and The Iron Wall....not positive, but I think you posted or mentioned both on the train - both very informative and well done (and heartbreaking).
    Some others I liked:

Chernobyl Heart
    On April 26, 1986, the worst nuclear accident in history occurred when a reactor exploded at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine. Sixteen years later, award-winning filmmaker Maryann De Leo took her camera to follow the devastating trail this radiation left behind in hospitals, orphanages, mental asylums and evacuated villages.

Children of Beslan
    Harrowing recounting of the 2004 school siege in Beslan, Russia that killed over 300 hostages, as told primarily by the tragedy's surviving children.

Ganja Queen
    The harrowing story of Schapelle Corby, a young Australian woman who is accused of international drug trafficking after ten pounds of marijuana are found in one of her bags while on vacation in Bali.

Hear and Now
    This Sundance Award-winning documentary is a deeply personal memoir by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Irene Taylor Brodsky about her deaf parents' decision to undergo risky cochlear implant surgery -- the only one of its kind that can restore a sense.

My Architect
    The Oscar®-nominated CINEMAX Reel Life documentary MY ARCHITECT chronicles Nathaniel Kahn's epic journey to reconcile the life and work of his mysterious father, Louis I. Kahn.

Naked World
    In this follow up to NAKED STATES, artist Spencer Tunick travels to capture art in the form of nudes from countries around the globe.

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
    This intimate, heart-rending portrait of New Orleans in the wake of the destruction tells the heartbreaking personal stories of those who endured this harrowing ordeal.

White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    Filmmaker Steven Okazaki revisits the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and shares the stories of the only people to have survived a nuclear attack.

Wide Awake
    Using himself as a primary case study, director and lifelong insomniac Alan Berliner artfully explores the world of chronic sleep deprivation - an affliction experienced by more than 100 million Americans.

also...

China's Stolen Children
    Nice list CiW! Haven't seen lots of those....thanks!
    Don't think I could stomach Children of Beslan :( That story kills me :(
    Nice list CiW! Haven't seen lots of those....thanks!
    Don't think I could stomach Children of Beslan :( That story kills me :(
    it was rough to watch... as were a few others. But I feel like I should watch these stories since people have been forced to live them. :|
  • Here's one I love off the top of my head: Overnight- About the egotistical director of The Boondock Saints, Troy Duffy. Highly entertaining, it's hard to believe somebody was that full of themselves. I definitely recommend the documentary Overnight and Duffy's film The Boondock Saints. Fascinating story.
    White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    Filmmaker Steven Okazaki revisits the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and shares the stories of the only people to have survived a nuclear attack.

I've seen this. Very good. I've still got it on my hard drive.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Dogtown and the Z Boys
    Riding Giants (same director as above)

Dave Gormans' America Unchained for a bit of lightheartedness.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
    wash_ wrote:
    Dogtown and the Z Boys
    Riding Giants (same director as above)

Dave Gormans' America Unchained for a bit of lightheartedness.

Emma, long time no see.

Here's one that I've not seen but am downloading as we speak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_vs._Al-Arian
    USA vs. Al-Arian

# Audience Award, 2007 Tromsø International Film Festival[3]
    # Best Film, 2007 New Orleans Human Rights Film Festival, USA[3]
    # Grand Prix (Flugeprisen), 2007 Norwegian Documentary Film Festival Volda[3]
    # Honorary Mention, 2007 International Festival of Muslim Cinema "Golden Minbar", Russia[3]
    # Best Nordic Documentary, 2007 Nordisk Panorama - 5 Cities Film Festival

Dr. Sami Al-Arian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_Al-Arian
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    Anything on PBS's Frontline.

The Boogie Man-the Lee Atwater story (the original blueprint for Karl Rove's creepy school of politics).
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
    Sir, No Sir!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir!_No_Sir!
    'Sir! No Sir! is a 2005 Displaced Films/BBC documentary film about the anti-war movement within the ranks of the United States Military during the Vietnam War. It is subtitled "the suppressed story of the GI movement to end the war in Vietnam." It was completed in 2005 and won the audience award at the Los Angeles Film Festival and the Golden Starfish Award for best documentary in 2005. The film is also a part of the Iraq Media Action Project film collection...'

Torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3582240 ... .XviD-FiCO

Winter Soldier -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Sol ... estigation
    'The "Winter Soldier Investigation" was a media event sponsored by the Vietnam Veterans Against the War from January 31, 1971 – February 2, 1971. It was intended to publicize war crimes and atrocities by the United States Armed Forces and their allies in the Vietnam War. The VVAW challenged the morality and conduct of the war by showing the direct relationship between military policies and war crimes in Vietnam. The three-day gathering of 109 veterans and 16 civilians took place in Detroit, Michigan. Discharged servicemen from each branch of military service, as well as civilian contractors, medical personnel and academics, all gave testimony about war crimes they had committed or witnessed during the years of 1963-1970...'

Torrent: http://www.mininova.org/tor/1784199
    Nice little webpage here for people who like documentaries...free of charge...check it out:

http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/documentaries.php

Categories

* Art / Lifestyle / Drugs / Sex / Sport
    * Business / Media / Commerce / Corporate
    * Culture / Society
    * Food / Medicine / Health
    * History
    * Music / Movies
    * Nature / Environment
    * Paranormal / Mystery / UFO
    * People / Biographies
    * Politics / Government / Corporate / Conspiracy
    * Religion / Spirituality / Belief
    * Space / Science / Technology
    * War on Terror / Post 9/11 / Police State
    * Warzone
    * Uncategorized
    * 9/11 »
    I just watched the Joy Division documentary yesterday. Very good. I recommend it.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2v4UwEiO-g
  • i study child development and international education, so i LOOOOVE this one ..

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/worl ... amestreet/

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SESAME STREET explores the dramas, challenges and complexities behind producing international versions of the beloved television program. The film follows productions in Bangladesh, Kosovo and South Africa and examines how producers from New York's Sesame Workshop take the iconic American television show and localize it with indigenous songs, puppets and curricula while facing cultural, political and production challenges.
  • America: Freedom to Fascism http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... o+fascism#

And Drowned Out already mentioned "The Money Masters."
    katellis wrote:
    i study child development and international education, so i LOOOOVE this one ..

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/worl ... amestreet/

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SESAME STREET explores the dramas, challenges and complexities behind producing international versions of the beloved television program. The film follows productions in Bangladesh, Kosovo and South Africa and examines how producers from New York's Sesame Workshop take the iconic American television show and localize it with indigenous songs, puppets and curricula while facing cultural, political and production challenges.

This looks like it's worth a watch. Thanks.
  • you're welcome. is that d.b. cooper in your avatar?
    katellis wrote:
    you're welcome. is that d.b. cooper in your avatar?

If I tell you the answer to that question, then I'll have to kill you. 8-)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Byrnzie wrote:
    katellis wrote:

I thought it was Alex Rodriguez of the Yanks. BTW Byrnzie thanks for the webpage on documentaries. Did you get a chance to checkout the doc by Michael Franti....*I Know I'm Not Alone*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    katellis wrote:

I thought it was Alex Rodriguez of the Yanks. BTW Byrnzie thanks for the webpage on documentaries. Did you get a chance to checkout the doc by Michael Franti....*I Know I'm Not Alone*

Peace

Yeah, I watched it. I thought it was o.k. He did seem to be a little over ambitious/out of his depth on occasions, but It was a good doc.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Bridge

it was absolutly fascinating
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    The Bridge

it was absolutly fascinating

I saw that...about the suicides from the Golden Gate bridge. That is a good one - if 'good' is the right word.
  • Death In Gaza - I don't think I have ever seen a more horrifing documentry. It really made me angry. The director who was documented children of Palenstine and Jewish origin was killed during the filming of the movie. I always belived (due to our alliance) that Isreal was simply defending itself, and was not an agressor. As the journalist approached the Isreali troops, fearing he may be mistaken for a terrorist, he waved a white flag, had the journalist clothes/gear on, and was yelling, "I am a British Journalist". Without being provoked, an Isreali soldier shot him dead, right in the neck. Scary stuff that stays with you.

I would also like to add that I really can't stand Michael Moore. I feel he is not objective in any way. He manipulates the viewer into what he wants them to see/believe. Sorta like the conspiracy youtube videos about a missile hitting the pentagon on 9/11. It is easy to belive when it is edited to appear a certain way....
    SoLATisA wrote:
    Death In Gaza - I don't think I have ever seen a more horrifing documentry. It really made me angry. The director who was documented children of Palenstine and Jewish origin was killed during the filming of the movie. I always belived (due to our alliance) that Isreal was simply defending itself, and was not an agressor. As the journalist approached the Isreali troops, fearing he may be mistaken for a terrorist, he waved a white flag, had the journalist clothes/gear on, and was yelling, "I am a British Journalist". Without being provoked, an Isreali soldier shot him dead, right in the neck. Scary stuff that stays with you.

Don't get me started! :lol:

Have you seen 'Occupation 101'?

Check it out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... firefox-a#
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Great thread!! Love my doco's

Top link too Byrnzie - excellent site

My vote goes for this....about selection and training for the New Zealand SAS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgkeYe8 ... re=related
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Did anyone mention Murderball? That movie is fantastic. I own it and watch it when I'm feeling overwhelmed and sorry for myself. It really kicks me in the ass and inspires me. Not because I feel sorry for the guys, but because they don't feel sorry for themselves. It's a winner.