Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    NickyNooch wrote:
    THE KING OF KONG:A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS - Probably the best documentary I have ever seen. It's about one man's quest to beat the Donkey Kong world record.
    Saw this one not too long ago. Thought it was interesting and enjoyed watching it. I gotta say that the Billy Mitchell guy seems like a douche.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    NickyNooch wrote:
    THE KING OF KONG:A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS - Probably the best documentary I have ever seen. It's about one man's quest to beat the Donkey Kong world record.
    Saw this one not too long ago. Thought it was interesting and enjoyed watching it. I gotta say that the Billy Mitchell guy seems like a douche.

This WAS a fantastic documentary. Whatever happened to the rumor that they were either going to make a follow up to this or a "dramatic theatrical version" (which would have been an awful idea and hopefully is nothing more than a rumor.)?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    g under p wrote:

this has to be one of the most harrowing documentaries i have ever seen. i'd seen something similar when i was in high school, but this is just...just...

Good God , i could not watch this.

Someone posted it over on AMT in my Food Inc thread. I watched the whole thing...the first 35 minutes is really really brutal but after that we humans can adjust to anything. I'm a vegetarian once again this was by far the most gruesome of ALL the documentaries I've EVER seen on this subject. :shock:

I'm glad I didn't eat breakfast that morning when i watched.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    NickyNooch wrote:

This WAS a fantastic documentary. Whatever happened to the rumor that they were either going to make a follow up to this or a "dramatic theatrical version" (which would have been an awful idea and hopefully is nothing more than a rumor.)?
    According to wikipedia a movie version is in the works, although the director of the documentary said it might become a sequel focusing on the rivalry and how King Of Kong impacted the players' lives --- so, anybody's guess at what, if anything, is done
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I love the lists of docs here, they always inspire me to check out the ones I know nothing about. I'm a big fan of many of the ones listed above.

I did artwork for a movie that just got accepted into the Puerto Rico International Film Festival. I back this documentary not just because I am a part of it, but because of the million other reasons I love this film. It was inspired by both Into The Wild and Dear Zachary. Soundtrack is awesome, all done by local artists who haven't made it big.

Check it out if you wish, it's called "For Aaron, the Documentary." Full length film with a lot of heart and soul. :D
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I love the lists of docs here, they always inspire me to check out the ones I know nothing about. I'm a big fan of many of the ones listed above.

I did artwork for a movie that just got accepted into the Puerto Rico International Film Festival. I back this documentary not just because I am a part of it, but because of the million other reasons I love this film. It was inspired by both Into The Wild and Dear Zachary. Soundtrack is awesome, all done by local artists who haven't made it big.

Check it out if you wish, it's called "For Aaron, the Documentary." Full length film with a lot of heart and soul. :D

Do you have a Link? or is it on youtube? or not out yet?

Thanks for sharing. Always looking for new docs.
    If you have a link, throw it out there. Also, as someone in the industry, can we see the artwork you created?

Thanks for sharing. Always looking for new docs.
    If you have a link, throw it out there. Also, as someone in the industry, can we see the artwork you created?

It's property of the production company now, I have no copies of it unfortunately. Thanks for all the support though! Here is the link to the PRIFF, it's on the right side, click on it and it will bring you to a little article and the trailer.

http://priff.org/schedule.html
    It's property of the production company now, I have no copies of it unfortunately. Thanks for all the support though! Here is the link to the PRIFF, it's on the right side, click on it and it will bring you to a little article and the trailer.

http://priff.org/schedule.html

Looks interesting. This isn't a documentary but it's somewhat of a similar story I came across a while back.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/01/04/266954/grieving-dad-bikes-to-stop-suicide.html

So did you do cover artwork for this?
    Thanks for the article, I was not familiar with that before. It sounds like a fairly similar concept, at least with a similar motive behind it. Always such an emotional journey..

I did not do the cover art, there is a shot of the movie reserved for that. The film is divided into chapters (I think 8, in all) and I did the artwork for each transition from one chapter to the next. I've never travelled across the country in anything except a plane, so the scenery is really incredible, especially by bicycle!
    Thanks for the article, I was not familiar with that before. It sounds like a fairly similar concept, at least with a similar motive behind it. Always such an emotional journey..

I did not do the cover art, there is a shot of the movie reserved for that. The film is divided into chapters (I think 8, in all) and I did the artwork for each transition from one chapter to the next. I've never travelled across the country in anything except a plane, so the scenery is really incredible, especially by bicycle!

Very cool and good to know. I'll keep your skills in mind if I ever need artwork for a project :)

Very cool and good to know. I'll keep your skills in mind if I ever need artwork for a project :)

hahah! Awesome, thanks! After it debuts at the festival I think it will be publicly distributed. I'll let you know if it's up for people to watch :D
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I watched this a few weeks ago, and it was great:

Bells+from+the+Deep+-+Faith+and+Superstition+in+Russia+(Werner+Herzog)+%5B1993+DVDRIP+Xvid%5D37.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bells_from_the_Deep

Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia, is a 1993 documentary film written and directed by Werner Herzog, produced by Werner Herzog Filmproduktion.

Summary

Bells from the Deep is German director Werner Herzog's documentary investigation of Russian mysticism. The first half of the film is concerned primarily with a Russian faith healer and a man claiming to be the reincarnation of God as was Jesus. Herzog uses primarily interviews with Russians and scenes from the religious services of the two Holy men. Herzog also has several segments on the religion of Siberian nomads.

The second half of the film is primarily concerned with the legend of the lost city of Kitezh. This myth is about a city that was in peril of being destroyed by marauding Mongols, but whose citizens prayed for rescue. Hearing their prayers, God placed the city at the bottom of a deep lake, where it resides to this day. Some even say that one can hear the bells from the city's church. The story is recounted by a local priest and pilgrims visiting the lake.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I watched this a few weeks ago, and it was great:

Bells+from+the+Deep+-+Faith+and+Superstition+in+Russia+(Werner+Herzog)+%5B1993+DVDRIP+Xvid%5D37.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bells_from_the_Deep

Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia, is a 1993 documentary film written and directed by Werner Herzog, produced by Werner Herzog Filmproduktion.
    Wow, that sounds intriguing.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    i just saw "The Art of the Steal",

An un-missable look at one of the art world’s most fascinating controversies and a celebrated selection of the Toronto, New York and AFI Film Festivals, Don Argott’s gripping documentary THE ART OF THE STEAL chronicles the long and dramatic struggle for control of the Barnes Foundation, a private collection of art valued at more than $25 billion.

In 1922, Dr. Albert C. Barnes formed a remarkable educational institution around his priceless collection of art, located just five miles outside of Philadelphia. Now, more than 50 years after Barnes’ death, a powerful group of moneyed interests have gone to court for control of the art, and intend to bring it to a new museum in Philadelphia. Standing in their way is a group of Barnes’ former students and his will, which contains strict instructions stating the Foundation should always be an educational institution, and that the paintings may never be removed. Will they succeed, or will a man’s will be broken and one of America’s greatest cultural monuments be destroyed?

This was Good, more proof, Rich people SUCK!!!

That was great ... If you liked it, another one you might want to check out is:

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? ...

When trailer park resident Teri Horton bought a painting for five bucks, little did she know it could be a genuine Jackson Pollock worth millions. This film documents her dealings with the art world's elitist establishment to authenticate the piece. Throughout the brash woman's 15-year endeavor to validate the painting, the clash between stuffy art dealers and the cussin', beer-drinkin' Horton is funny, eye-opening and utterly unforgettable.

I got into some art docs recently ... other reccos:

Bomb It

Graffiti isn't simple vandalism; it's an artistic expression employed around the world. Filmmaker Jon Reiss travels five continents to reveal graffiti's history, cultural impact and social relevance. Noted artists share their stories, bringing this vital form of expression out of the shadows. It's on freeway overpasses, buildings and billboards. Now, see the real meaning of the world's graffiti.

Beautiful Losers

In this absorbing documentary, filmmaker Aaron Rose explores the world of a group of underground artists who began influencing areas from fashion and film to music and pop culture in the early 1990s. With outsider art elements such as graffiti, skateboarding and street music, these mavericks redefined creativity. Interviews with Shepard Fairey, Margaret Kilgallen, Barry McGee, Jo Jackson and others shed light on this remarkable movement.

... and finally, if you want your socks knocked off, see French street artist JR accept one of this year's TED awards ... inspiring, to say the least ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAy1zBtTbw
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I AM: The Documentary http://iamthedoc.com/

Wow! I have to see this!

Has anyone see it yet? Thoughts?
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!

Wow! I have to see this!

Have not seen it yet but I definitely plan to. Looks awesome doesn't it? :)
    MARWENCOL

I don't think this has been mentioned on here yet but if you haven't heard about this film I would sincerely suggest you check it out. I just watched it this weekend and was completely blown away. It is the best documentary I have seen in a very, very long time. It's a strange and heartbreaking, yet inspirational and fascinating story about a man named Mark Hogancamp who was left with brain damage after a brutal beating in 2000. After his initial treatment, Mark is all but abandoned in his attempt at recovery yet finds his own truly amazing way of reconstructing his life, finding himself, and dealing with the emotional and psychological hurdles that confront him. I can't even begin to do this film justice in words so check out the trailer and like I said, check out the film. It is well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNKPEp6aEqQ
    Heisenberg wrote:

Wow! I have to see this!

Have not seen it yet but I definitely plan to. Looks awesome doesn't it? :)

Yes! And you know what? I heard about it because he went on Oprah!!And people say she can't help with connecting people! :lol:

I am going to have to check out the doc you posted, looks very thought provoking. ;)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    anyone see morgan spurlock's new one yet? couldn't convince the wife to see it thursday. looks interesting though...
    www.myspace.com
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Heisenberg wrote:
    MARWENCOL

I don't think this has been mentioned on here yet but if you haven't heard about this film I would sincerely suggest you check it out. I just watched it this weekend and was completely blown away. It is the best documentary I have seen in a very, very long time. It's a strange and heartbreaking, yet inspirational and fascinating story about a man named Mark Hogancamp who was left with brain damage after a brutal beating in 2000. After his initial treatment, Mark is all but abandoned in his attempt at recovery yet finds his own truly amazing way of reconstructing his life, finding himself, and dealing with the emotional and psychological hurdles that confront him. I can't even begin to do this film justice in words so check out the trailer and like I said, check out the film. It is well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNKPEp6aEqQ

I'll check this out.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    we have a documentary film festival here ... only got out to see one film this year ... it was called dolphin boy ...

http://www.dolphinboyfilm.com/

it's about a boy who gets assaulted over the course of a night by the older brother of a girl that he texted ... after the assault, he disassociates himself from reality and through dolphin therapy he eventually reconnects ... touching film ... but overall it wasn't fantastic ... it sort of plays out as expected and for me and docs. i want to gain insight into people and issues ... there wasn't much of that ... maybe because i already know the powerful connection one can have with dolphins ...
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    Man on Wire and Grizzly Man. Infact, anything Herzog directed.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    anyone see morgan spurlock's new one yet? couldn't convince the wife to see it thursday. looks interesting though...

it's not showing here in shittown. hope to see it soon, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Maybe I just missed it, but how is it that no one has mentioned this on here yet? Especially with the soundtrack. That one song sounds vauguely familiar. ;)

http://www.buckthefilm.com/
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Maybe I just missed it, but how is it that no one has mentioned this on here yet? Especially with the soundtrack. That one song sounds vauguely familiar. ;)

http://www.buckthefilm.com/

I must see this. Very intriguing! :mrgreen: Another doc to add to my list...they just need to come to Canada now!! :mrgreen:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Ken Burns "Baseball" and "The Civil War" are played A LOT on my dvd player.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Ken Burns "Baseball" and "The Civil War" are played A LOT on my dvd player.

Hey Fenway, Just wanted to pass along a "book-umentary" on the Sesame Street..."The Street Gang". Very interesting. you did mention somewhere you liked Jim Henson's muppets way too much, correct? :think:

http://www.streetgangbook.com/
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Very cool. I gotta check that out. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, overall I'm a big Jim Henson fan. The Muppets were/are the greatest for me though.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Very cool. I gotta check that out. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, overall I'm a big Jim Henson fan. The Muppets were/are the greatest for me though.

So far it's very good. It reads like a novel with the facts built in. Really neat. :mrgreen: