Options

Hotel Tips for Toronto etc....

MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
edited August 2011 in The Porch
Hey there,

I manage a hotel downtown Toronto, and on many occasions, have helped board members in the past with cheap rates, upgraded rooms etc.

This year, I will have a much harder time helping out. The film festival is a crazy time for our city. It's part of my job to ensure there are no discounts during this time (so I can't very well turn around and give discounts to my friends - as much as I would want to).

So I will offer you all a few insider tips, so that you can enjoy our city and the shows without breaking the bank.

1. Book now. A standard philosphy is to build a base of business, and once hotels reach a certain threshold, rates will jump by 20-50%. Rates for film fest are going to jump soon. Hotels typically look 90 days out, and that timeframe is coming up quick. My hotel is selling at $209 now for Sept 11-12, but a month from now, we will be up to $240, and eventually into the 300's.

Also - as hotel managers - we keep our eyes on dates where there are a spike in bookings or inquiries. The more people price shop these dates - the quicker the rates go up.

2. Don't count on priceline or hotwire. Those options will not be there for these dates......at least not for long

3. The longer you stay, the cheaper the rate. a 3 or 4 night stay is gold to a downtown hotel. Discounts are offered for longer stays

4. Join a frequent stay program (Starwood/Delta Privilege etc) before arriving. This will get you free phone calls, internet, and maybe breakfast - depending on the program.

If you would like advice about any hotels dowtown (price/value/reputation/location etc) post here and I will let you know. I am not going to steer you towards my hotel - that's not cool (plus we will be full anyway).

For those whom end up at my hotel - I will do my best to upgrade if possible.

Don't want to post the name of my hotel as I don't want to come accross as advertising for business. I just want to help as many of you as possible.

Cheers

Jon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    thanks for the advice. I booked yesterday at: EconoLodge Downtown Toronto on jarvis. it was 276 for 2 nights with taxes/fees included. It was one of the cheapest i could find and its in walking distance to the acc. I'm afraid to hear what you have to say about this place :lol:
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    thanks for the advice. I booked yesterday at: EconoLodge Downtown Toronto on jarvis. it was 276 for 2 nights with taxes/fees included. It was one of the cheapest i could find and its in walking distance to the acc. I'm afraid to hear what you have to say about this place :lol:

Are you sure it is walking distance? I don't think it is.
  • Options
    Econolodge is a 15-20 min walk. it's do-able
  • Options
    Econolodge is a 15-20 min walk. it's do-able

Yeah map makes it look worse. Lol
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    sparky_fry wrote:

Are you sure it is walking distance? I don't think it is.

well google maps says 2.3 kms, 30 mins walking. they usually overestimate walking times too. I've walked from further to the ACC. address is 335 jarvis in case anyone else is wondering
    Post edited by sparky_fry on
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about booking at the Novotel...it looks relatively close and the rate is not bad right now...
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,083
    I was going to hold on booking until I actually got tickets. Do you think since those went on sale next Tuesday the 24th, booking either later that day or the following day would be a problem?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    i booked today at the

Isabella hotel - $202.92

and the The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto - $562
    trying to get a best rate price match on this one

thoughts on these?
  • Options
    I was going to hold on booking until I actually got tickets. Do you think since those went on sale next Tuesday the 24th, booking either later that day or the following day would be a problem?

book a refundable now?
  • Options

thats what i thought too but theres no cancellation fee when i booked mine so its worth the chance either way
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    i booked today at the

Isabella hotel - $202.92

thoughts on these?

I stayed there for the 09 show at the Molson Amp. It is a really nice hotel. I remember the valet parking being a little steep but it was convenient. As I recall, it is basically across the street from the ACC.
  • Options
    grjammer wrote:
    i booked today at the

Isabella hotel - $202.92

thoughts on these?

I stayed there for the 09 show at the Molson Amp. It is a really nice hotel. I remember the valet parking being a little steep but it was convenient. As I recall, it is basically across the street from the ACC.

Yes Weston harbor is basically across the street
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    Is the International or Incontinental Convention centre right there also, close to ACC i mean? I think its around $200 a night, pretty good i figure for downtown and the short walk
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    Trust me, with TIFF in town during the same time, if you even *think* you want to go to the Toronto shows, you better book the hotel first, then procure tickets later. Hotel prices are higher during TIFF time anyway.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Is the International or Incontinental Convention centre right there also, close to ACC i mean? I think its around $200 a night, pretty good i figure for downtown and the short walk

Yes. Intercontinental hotel is right next to the metro Toronto convention centre. You can take the path and just walk inside to the acc
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    there is a new Le Germain hotel located right in Maple Leaf Square which is a new development that is pretty much connected to the ACC. It would be my bet if money was no option, of course with TIFF in town, dates seem to be blocked out. People may have to think outside the downtown core for these shows.
  • Options
    VartVart Posts: 291
    I just booked the Novotel. It was $521 USD for three nights. I checked around and this seemed like the best deal for a hotel that isn't a complete dump. I really wanted to stay at the Westin Harbor again(got the $55 priceline deal last time), but it was over $700 for three nights.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Intercon is a perfect location...200 is a good deal for that one during TIFF.
  • Options
    Vart wrote:
    I just booked the Novotel. It was $521 USD for three nights. I checked around and this seemed like the best deal for a hotel that isn't a complete dump. I really wanted to stay at the Westin Harbor again(got the $55 priceline deal last time), but it was over $700 for three nights.
    Novotel is close. 521 for 3 nights is reasonable. You are super close to the Biergarden (great option for a pre party I would say....)
  • Options
    VartVart Posts: 291
    I'm going to try to get a AAA discount when I check in. I didn't know what the code was on the website, and the girl I spoke to on the phone wasn't very helpful.

Do you mean the Bier Markt? After looking at their website, I t looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time there over the three days. :D
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    MrMerkinball is a great guy!

That is all.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Vart wrote:
    I'm going to try to get a AAA discount when I check in. I didn't know what the code was on the website, and the girl I spoke to on the phone wasn't very helpful.

Do you mean the Bier Markt? After looking at their website, I t looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time there over the three days. :D
    Yep - that's the one. Kick ass place. Especiialy on a Saturday night.

Also - I highly recommend Real Sports Bar (attached to the ACC). BEST. PLACE. EVER!!!!
  • Options

That is all.
    :oops:
  • Options
    Vart wrote:

i booked the The Westin Harbour Castle through their site for like 215 a night

then submitted a best rate guarantee thingy

i ended up with the hotel for $137.34CAD a night

you always have to look for other websites with cheaper deals!!
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446

That is all.
    You hooked us up with a deal last time, and we had a nice chat at the preparty haha.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 854
    just a suggestion but the subway goes right into the ACC so something close to a subway will also be a good idea. Might save a few bucks by not staying right in walking distance of ACC.

You can even use hotwire or priceline as an option. Usually get good deals on hotels if you book months in advance.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    I booked the Sheraton over the Westin as seemed more central downtown and still walkable to the show......

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    what's driving into toronto and the ACC like? if problems getting a hotel room in Toronto would being in Niagra Falls be too much of a pain to drive in and out of that weekend?
  • Options

That is all.
    You hooked us up with a deal last time, and we had a nice chat at the preparty haha.
    I remember. The preparty in '09 was pretty damn good.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    what's driving into toronto and the ACC like? if problems getting a hotel room in Toronto would being in Niagra Falls be too much of a pain to drive in and out of that weekend?
    Niagara Falls a long drive 1.5-2 hours or so. Driving in Toronto is tough at times. The Sep 11 show should be fine as it is on Sunday. Heavy traffic on Monday's show