Options

Project #4 - a Live Vitalogy era Compilation

Comments

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    I'm liking the version of Tremor Christ that NorthShoreBlues suggested: Melbourne 3.17.95

Me too, and the warning at the end is cool :lol: .
    And Corduroy, off this same show. Yet, after hearing 9 or so different versions in a row, I might get a bit confused :D

Yeah, be careful - you can start to overdose doing these projects, and it's hard to separate the wood from the trees! I'm liking the beginning with Self Pollution STBC into Moore Jack Irons chant and Last Exit. I'm also digging the improvs and covers Cameron4President mentioned, and the Melbourne Tremor Christ.

Have you picked up a kicking 'Not For You' on your travels? What would you recommend?
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    I'm liking the version of Tremor Christ that NorthShoreBlues suggested: Melbourne 3.17.95

+ Corduroy, off this same show. Yet, after hearing 9 or so different versions in a row, I might get a bit confused :D
    + Whipping, off Atlanta 04.03.1994.

Hey Myra,

Since you are down here in the trenches with Tremors and I listening to 9 + different versions of Corduroy, we are adding you to the group. :D

Hey Tremors,

What do you think about making this a trio?? I think that Myra has what it takes. :D

Thanks to both of you for all of the 'hard work" today. I have had a very busy day at work today and it has been hard to post replies to everyone, but I should have a little bit of time during the next hour and a half to look through all of these posts and update or tracklist.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

And Corduroy, off this same show. Yet, after hearing 9 or so different versions in a row, I might get a bit confused :D

Yeah, be careful - you can start to overdose doing these projects, and it's hard to separate the wood from the trees! I'm liking the beginning with Self Pollution STBC into Moore Jack Irons chant and Last Exit. I'm also digging the improvs and covers Cameron4President mentioned, and the Melbourne Tremor Christ.

Have you picked up a kicking 'Not For You' on your travels? What would you recommend?

Not yet. Started off with my fav. ones ;)
    I'm on my way for Not for you. It takes a while, because I'm listing them and ranking them, all the while adding a few notes to remember them by.
    Hopefully I'll have one before sleeping.
  • Options
    This is where we are at so far:

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy

Track List:

01 Spin the Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    02 Jack Irons Chant - Moore Theater (2/5/95)
    03 Last Exit
    04 Not for You
    05 Tremor Christ - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    06 Nothingman
    07 Whipping - Atlanta, Georgia (4/3/94)
    08 Corduroy - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    09 BS Speech - Missoula, Montana (2/8/95)
    10 Satan's Bed
    11 Words Seem Out of Place (Improv) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    12 Better Man - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    13 Immortality
    14 Long Road
    15 Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)
    16 I Got Shit
    17 Let My love Open the Door - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Leaving Here
    19 Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
  • Options
    I need to listen to a few versions of "Not For You" before I could make a decision, but the SNL '94 version is real good.
  • Options

Hey Myra,

Since you are down here in the trenches with Tremors and I listening to 9 + different versions of Corduroy, we are adding you to the group. :D

Cool :D
    I'll have another cup of coffee then ...
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I don't know if I am sold on the sound quality of "Last Exit" from the Moore. I was planning on just ripping the chant off of the beginning and using a differnt version of "Last Exit". Maybe DC or SLC? I don't know, but I will compare them when I get home tonight.
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

+ Corduroy, off this same show. Yet, after hearing 9 or so different versions in a row, I might get a bit confused :D
    + Whipping, off Atlanta 04.03.1994.

Hey Myra,

Hey Tremors,

What do you think about making this a trio?? I think that Myra has what it takes. :D

Thanks to both of you for all of the 'hard work" today. I have had a very busy day at work today and it has been hard to post replies to everyone, but I should have a little bit of time during the next hour and a half to look through all of these posts and update or tracklist.

The more the merrier! This is a bit of a 'poisoned chalice' though isn't it? :lol:

I think she definitely has what it takes (I'm assuming Myra is female from the name, but it's impossible to tell around here!). Taking notes, staying up late.... definite signs of the commitment necessary! ;)

Cam4Pres, if we can come up with a kicking Last Exit that would be great - I thought it worked pretty well going straight into the actual version after the chant though.

You had me chuckling earlier actually, hearing the 'Jack Irons, Jack Irons' chant come back in. Am I listening to the right speech? It was funny, anyway, like a comic theme.

All progressing well! Don't stay up all night tho folks!

edit: no! I downloaded the wrong speech!! The BS speech, I see what you mean, that is good! It was funny having a second Jack Irons anyway!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    edit: no! I downloaded the wrong speech!! The BS speech, I see what you mean, that is good! It was funny having a second Jack Irons anyway!!

Check out the NW speech on 3/17/95, just as funny. :D

How many hours is France ahead of the United States East Coast? Is it 5 or 6 hours?
  • Options

How many hours is France ahead of the United States East Coast? Is it 5 or 6 hours?

One hour ahead of the UK.

Ok, so there indeed isn't any 1995 version of NothingMan.
    There's a good 1994-02-20 Ann Arbor, Mi version.
    Both the 1996-10-19 & 20 Shoreline ... are better in sound quality (they're almost identical, I have a slight preference for the 1996-10-20 though). Do we make an exception there and include a '96 performance ?
  • Options
    myra wrote:

One hour ahead of the UK.

Ok, so there indeed isn't any 1995 version of NothingMan.
    There's a good 1994-02-20 Ann Arbor, Mi version.
    Both the 1996-10-19 & 20 Shoreline ... are better in sound quality (they're almost identical, I have a slight preference for the 1996-10-20 though). Do we make an exception there and include a '96 performance ?

Wow, I had no idea that Nothingman was not played in '95 at all. I might draw a few gasps when I say this, but I am not a big fan of "Nothingman" and it wouldn't upset me at all to exclude it. :twisted: I think that '96 is No Code territory and I suspect that the '94 copy is not up to par with our sound standards. What do you guys think?
  • Options

Wow, I had no idea that Nothingman was not played in '95 at all. I might draw a few gasps when I say this, but I am not a big fan of "Nothingman" and it wouldn't upset me at all to exclude it. :twisted: I think that '96 is No Code territory and I suspect that the '94 copy is not up to par with our sound standards. What do you guys think?

Tried to listen to it after Tremor Christ and I must admit there IS a loss in sound quality that's a bit unpleasant, whereas Tremor Christ followed by Whipping is ok. Nothingman shouldn't have been between those two in the first place anyway ... :D
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Tried to listen to it after Tremor Christ and I must admit there IS a loss in sound quality that's a bit unpleasant, whereas Tremor Christ followed by Whipping is ok. Nothingman shouldn't have been between those two in the first place anyway ... :D

I have always thought that too. That song to me doesn't fit into the turmoil that surrounded the band in '94 -'95. My question to you is do you think that that song belongs on that album? If not, what album does it belong on if any?
  • Options
    If we end up scrapping "Nothingman", what should we put in its place? Anything? We are going to be close on time as it stands right now with the track.
  • Options

I have always thought that too. That song to me doesn't fit into the turmoil that surrounded the band in '94 -'95. My question to you is do you think that that song belongs on that album? If not, what album does it belong on if any?

Well, it belongs on it as much as Betterman does. So I guess it does. Doesn't belong on any other really.
    If we end up scrapping "Nothingman", what should we put in its place? Anything? We are going to be close on time as it stands right now with the track.

I'm not sure we should put anything in its place. Yet maybe find something to fit between Whipping and Corduroy ? Or else, wasn't there a cover or something that was left out we could include now ?
  • Options
    Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    Sorry, I dont know if you are looking for recommendations for shows to use for the CD, but Id definitely recommend:

Last Exit, Red Rocks '95
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlr1tEq99Sw

Corduroy, Self Pollution Radio (Cant find video for it, but its just as good as the album)
    or
    Corduroy, Melbourne '95
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1t06Ee47k
  • Options
    Sorry, I dont know if you are looking for recommendations for shows to use for the CD, but Id definitely recommend:

Last Exit, Red Rocks '95
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlr1tEq99Sw

Corduroy, Self Pollution Radio (Cant find video for it, but its just as good as the album)
    or
    Corduroy, Melbourne '95
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1t06Ee47k

Always looking for ideas and suggestions. Thank you for you help. Red Rocks is an amazing show, I would love to see them play there. Thanks..
  • Options
    I am a little slow here, but I thought everybody was talking about the Jack Irons Chant and the improv after RVM (which doesn't exist) from February 5th. I just realized that everybody has been talking about February 6th. We have got to try and make that improv work and use that Jack Iron Chant (Much Better Than the 5th). Here is another updated track list:

Track List:

02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    06 Improv - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    10 Satan's Bed - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    13 Immortality - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    14 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming - (6/16/95)
    16 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)
  • Options
    I am a little slow here, but I thought everybody was talking about the Jack Irons Chant and the improv after RVM (which doesn't exist) from February 5th. I just realized that everybody has been talking about February 6th. We have got to try and make that improv work and use that Jack Iron Chant (Much Better Than the 5th). Here is another updated track list:

Track List:

02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    06 Improv - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    10 Satan's Bed - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    13 Immortality - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    14 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming - (6/16/95)
    16 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)

The 3rd improv (that's the one we're talking about, right ?) off 1995-02-06 definitely needs to be on it. Yet I'm not so sure whether it should be @ #6. Could we use improv #2 instead and use #3 after Immortality ? It's got sort of the same vibe to it, but in a 'lesser' way ... #2 builds anticipation and works well with the Jack Irons Chant just a couple tracks before, whereas after hearing #3 you're like, hmm, glad to move on to Long Road :D
  • Options
    I hope we ain't gonna leave nothingman off the disc!! One of my favourite PJ songs, and I've always thought it fitted with Vitalogy. Can distinctly remember hearing it for the first time the day the album came out. Wow! I'm sure we can find a good version!!

I have to try and get back into my 'work work today, after a week's holiday - so will try and load up the latest tracklist this evening, and discuss further then. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of activity on this board later on - so let's see how we get on! Great efforts!!

• Options
    Wow! Lots of monement since I was on here last - good stuff. Well done on picking versions so quickly. I'm not surprised that some of the improvs didn't stand up to the sound quality test, but I am liking the way this is shaping up. Words Seem Out of Place was actually my reserve choice for the Aye Dav spot, so that's cool to see it in there.
    tremors wrote:
    I hope we ain't gonna leave nothingman off the disc!! One of my favourite PJ songs, and I've always thought it fitted with Vitalogy. Can distinctly remember hearing it for the first time the day the album came out. Wow! I'm sure we can find a good version!!
    Yeah, I can't imagine Vitalogy without it, but I knew it was going to be a problem. I had actually thought for a long time that Bridge 96 was the first performance. But I actually don't think the 20/3/94 version is particularly bad in terms of sound quality. If it's between slightly lower quality, and not having it at all, I'd keep it, no question.

Also, I'm all for moving the Seatttle improv to the Stupid Mop position, both because that's what it sounds most like, and because I think Immortality-Long Road-Falling Down are too similar and might make for a too long of a slow dirgy stretch.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

I have to try and get back into my 'work work today, after a week's holiday - so will try and load up the latest tracklist this evening, and discuss further then. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of activity on this board later on - so let's see how we get on! Great efforts!!

Oops...
    Yeah, it almost got left out ;)
    Well, there are good versions with nice sound quality, but they're both from 1996. '94 version is ok, but the sound quality is not. That's the thing. I don't mind either way.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't imagine Vitalogy without it, but I knew it was going to be a problem. I had actually thought for a long time that Bridge 96 was the first performance. But I actually don't think the 20/3/94 version is particularly bad in terms of sound quality. If it's between slightly lower quality, and not having it at all, I'd keep it, no question.

Well, it's not that it's really bad in terms of sound quality. It's ok if you listen to it on its own. But there's a gap if you listen to it after Tremor Christ... And it goes up again with Whipping. So what'll happen is that you'll either put the volume up for this one, which is quite annoying actually, or you'll eventually just skip it.
  • Options
    Wow! Lots of monement since I was on here last - good stuff. Well done on picking versions so quickly. I'm not surprised that some of the improvs didn't stand up to the sound quality test, but I am liking the way this is shaping up. Words Seem Out of Place was actually my reserve choice for the Aye Dav spot, so that's cool to see it in there.
    tremors wrote:

Also, I'm all for moving the Seatttle improv to the Stupid Mop position, both because that's what it sounds most like, and because I think Immortality-Long Road-Falling Down are too similar and might make for a too long of a slow dirgy stretch.

Some great suggestions. Thanks. We'll listen to those versions - me, probably later today now. Can you believe it, I go to bed, and when I get back nothingman has been deleted from Vitalogy!! :lol:;) I'm not going to bed tonight for fear of what else myra and Cam4Pres might cut when left to their own devices.

Joking.... am enjoying doing this!

• Options
    myra wrote:

Well, it's not that it's really bad in terms of sound quality. It's ok if you listen to it on its own. But there's a gap if you listen to it after Tremor Christ... And it goes up again with Whipping. So what'll happen is that you'll either put the volume up for this one, which is quite annoying actually, or you'll eventually just skip it.

One way around that that might work would be to fade out the crowd noise after Tremor Christ and fade into Whipping, and to bring up the volume on Nothingman. Not ideal, in terms of it flowing like a show, but since we are skipping from concert performances to radio performances, it might be ok in this case. What do you think?
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Yeah, sounds like a problem. Have yet to hear this version in the mix. What are all the known performances of nothingman from then? We can do some editing of any pauses, and we could probably even raise the volume of the entire track if that is the major problem with the best version

• Options
    myra wrote:

One way around that that might work would be to fade out the crowd noise after Tremor Christ and fade into Whipping, and to bring up the volume on Nothingman. Not ideal, in terms of it flowing like a show, but since we are skipping from concert performances to radio performances, it might be ok in this case. What do you think?

The other way of breaking up the flow to keep the flow if you like, would be to insert a brief slice of Self Pollution Radio - I've found with the previous mixes that there are ways of taking the listener's ear into a place where you can hear a different quality song more readily. There are ways, if we are settled on this as the best version

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Some great suggestions. Thanks. We'll listen to those versions - me, probably later today now. Can you believe it, I go to bed, and when I get back nothingman has been deleted from Vitalogy!! :lol:;) I'm not going to bed tonight for fear of what else myra and Cam4Pres might cut when left to their own devices.

:lol::lol:
    I'm keeping my eye on this in case you'd want to get revenge :lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

:lol::lol:
    I'm keeping my eye on this in case you'd want to get revenge :lol:

You know they were originally going to call the final Star Wars movie 'Revenge of the Jedi', but then George Lucas said 'Revenge is not a Jedi concept'. Don't worry - it's like George Lucas says ;)

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Yeah, sounds like a problem. Have yet to hear this version in the mix. What are all the known performances of nothingman from then? We can do some editing of any pauses, and we could probably even raise the volume of the entire track if that is the major problem with the best version

There's one version in 1994, and then 3 in 1996. None in 1995 for some reason ?! All 3 of 1996 sound better than that of 1994 so far as sound quality is concerned, but, leaving sound quality aside, that of 1994 is okay performance-wise. If we can edit this, we should be fine. At least until Cameron4President wakes up .... :D