Options

Political Correctness is BS

Comments

• Options
    unsung said:
    I find it incredibly odd that anyone would support this.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/25/mack-beggs-transgender-wrestler-wins-texas-girls-h/

When I was in HS performance enhancing drugs would get you kicked off the team and suspended.

I don't.

Over the weekend I got to hear Chris Mosier speak. I enjoyed what he had to say and I have a better understanding of the transgender issue.

His story is exceptional- he transitioned to a male from female and attained success as an athlete on the global scale. Transitioning from male to female is different though (as is this situation where one athlete has the unfair advantage of testosterone injections).

I'm for supporting and assisting people transitioning, but common sense needs to be exercised as we go down this road. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    unsung said:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/25/mack-beggs-transgender-wrestler-wins-texas-girls-h/

When I was in HS performance enhancing drugs would get you kicked off the team and suspended.

I don't.

Over the weekend I got to hear Chris Mosier speak. I enjoyed what he had to say and I have a better understanding of the transgender issue.

His story is exceptional- he transitioned to a male from female and attained success as an athlete on the global scale. Transitioning from male to female is different though (as is this situation where one athlete has the unfair advantage of testosterone injections).

I'm for supporting and assisting people transitioning, but common sense needs to be exercised as we go down this road. 
    advantage only because texas doesnt allow HIM to compete with other males.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,731
    unsung said:

Well, I suppose if they're going to do that they should go all the way with it:
    https://view.yahoo.com/show/saturday-night-live/clip/4973328/weekend-update-all-drug-olympics

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    funny that it is the same people complaining that political correctness is bad are also the ones on twitter that are butthurt about corporate entities severing business deals with the nra.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:

I don't.

I never read that. Texas needs some work still.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:

I don't.

I never read that. Texas needs some work still.

AND in an article I read, before transition, skills were already in effect.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    That is a female, competing against females, using steroids.  Steroids.  Congress wasted how much time in investigations on pro sports and ped use? 

A little perspective, someone is competing using steroids and people celebrate.

Yep, political correctness run amuck. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    funny that it is the same people complaining that political correctness is bad are also the ones on twitter that are butthurt about corporate entities severing business deals with the nra.
    How is it that corporations who are not going to support the NRA is PC...if anything it’s a moral decision...but more likely it’s a decision made in hopes of bigger profits.

im not sure twitter, Facebook etc.. are the places to go to judge the public’s reaction on decisions made by corporations...especially since any individual can create as many accounts as they choose, not to mention the fake accounts.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    unsung said:
    That is a female, competing against females, using steroids.  Steroids.  Congress wasted how much time in investigations on pro sports and ped use? 

prescribed testosterone is not steroids.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Testosterone is a steroid.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Still amazes me that people are so ignorant, hateful, and so scared of Transgender people
  • Options
    How does that have anything to do with the issue of PED's?

Who here has said anything like that? 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:

prescribed testosterone is not steroids.

There's no question it gives an athlete a competitive advantage.

These details need to be worked out moving forward as we support transgender people.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Back to the original topic.
    You know it is BS when it is considered racist to wear a sombrero and serve Mexican food on a college campus for Cinco de Mayo. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mace1229 said:
    You know it is BS when it is considered racist to wear a sombrero and serve Mexican food on a college campus for Cinco de Mayo. 
    Would it be racist if I wore a red, white and blue tracksuit, forgot my ability to critically think at home, and wolfed down cheeseburgers while shooting my gun into the air on President's Day?

If there is no issue with reducing a person to the stereotypes that exist for their cultural upbringing, this should go both directions. 

From what I can see, people seem to have no problem with political correctness on its own: people seem to have a problem with political correctness when it inhibits their agenda rather than reinforcing it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Would it be racist if I wore a red, white and blue tracksuit, forgot my ability to critically think at home, and wolfed down cheeseburgers while shooting my gun into the air on President's Day?

If there is no issue with reducing a person to the stereotypes that exist for their cultural upbringing, this should go both directions. 

From what I can see, people seem to have no problem with political correctness on its own: people seem to have a problem with political correctness when it inhibits their agenda rather than reinforcing it.
    Yes, that would be racist and completely different.
    You would be embracing negative and illegal stereotypes.

How is serving Mexican food on a Mexican holiday racist?
    How is wearing a traditional wear (sombrero) on a Mexican holiday racist? No one implies all Mexicans wear it, but it is a traditional accessories that is still commonly worn. I don't think I've ever seen a mariachi band without a sombrero. 
    It is perfectly acceptable to dress Irish and serve corned beef on St. Patrick's day. How is Cinco de Mayo different?

Is using chopsticks at a chinese restaurant racist now?
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Bingo! People don't have enough confidence in their own beliefs to allow other to have their own, obviously can't allow people going around and harming others, or taking away others freedoms. Beliefs are not actions, I stay away from negative people or dishonest people, well I can't really avoid them at work sometimes
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

How is wearing a traditional wear (sombrero) on a Mexican holiday racist? No one implies all Mexicans wear it, but it is a traditional accessories that is still commonly worn. I don't think I've ever seen a mariachi band without a sombrero. 
    It is perfectly acceptable to dress Irish and serve corned beef on St. Patrick's day. How is Cinco de Mayo different?

Stop with your cultural appropriations. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Is it wrong to wave the US flag on May 5 in America?
  • Options
    I would equate that example to people pushing around lawnmowers for Cinco De Mayo. That would be racist. Not serving Mexican food.
  • Options
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is it wrong to wave the US flag on May 5 in America?
    No plus I don’t think any Mexican would even care if you did ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    Is he referring to the Khmer Rouge here?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    This is called "cultural appropriation" which, by definition, is racist.  One does not need to be "PC" to understand this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    NewJPage said:
    Is he referring to the Khmer Rouge here?
    he's not referring to anyone specifically at all, he's far left, and believes in personal freedoms
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    This is called "cultural appropriation" which, by definition, is racist.  One does not need to be "PC" to understand this.
    How so?
    So is it racist to eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day?
    Is it racist to celebrate the Chinese new year in America?
    If you say yes then we just disagree on completely different levels.

If those are okay, how is serving Mexican food on Cinco de Mayo any different? People generally aren't mocking Mexicans by doing it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    How so?
    So is it racist to eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day?
    Is it racist to celebrate the Chinese new year in America?
    If you say yes then we just disagree on completely different levels.

If those are okay, how is serving Mexican food on Cinco de Mayo any different? People generally aren't mocking Mexicans by doing it.
    No, those are not examples of cultural appropriation.

We were talking about someone pretending to look like  Hispanic, not serve food, correct?

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mace1229 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Negative and illegal stereotypes? How so?

How is wearing a typically patriotic outfit on an American holiday discriminatory? Not all Americans wear it, but many do dress up for the occasion. 
    How is lacking critical thought, modelled after a typical American, discriminatory (and to remind you, you're 14th in reading skills, 25th in math, and 17th in sciences. You can walk north to Canada, where we're 3rd in reading, and 5th in math and sciences)?
    How is eating a cheeseburger discriminatory? By the Center for Investigative Reporting's estimate (via PBS), Americans consume three burgers per week. 
    How is drawing attention to the American gun-lust discriminatory? There have been ongoing polarizing discussions on the topic for at least since the mass shooting epidemics, and the best solution this President has so far has been arming more people to prevent armed homicides (see the 'critical thought' part above). 

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Negative and illegal stereotypes? How so?

How is wearing a typically patriotic outfit on an American holiday discriminatory? Not all Americans wear it, but many do dress up for the occasion. 
    How is lacking critical thought, modelled after a typical American, discriminatory (and to remind you, you're 14th in reading skills, 25th in math, and 17th in sciences. You can walk north to Canada, where we're 3rd in reading, and 5th in math and sciences)?
    How is eating a cheeseburger discriminatory? By the Center for Investigative Reporting's estimate (via PBS), Americans consume three burgers per week. 
    How is drawing attention to the American gun-lust discriminatory? There have been ongoing polarizing discussions on the topic for at least since the mass shooting epidemics, and the best solution this President has so far has been arming more people to prevent armed homicides (see the 'critical thought' part above). 

Shooting guns in the air is very illegal. Could even result in manslaughter or worse if it kills someone. I have never met a single gun owner who shoots bullets in the air. So yes, someone posing as an American by shooting into the air would be illegal.
    I don’t have a problem if another country wants to serve hamburgers on the 4th of July. Dress as a cowboy and BBQ, wouldn’t insult me in the least. Suggesting they shoot guns in the air and equating that to serving Mexican food in a sombrero was what I didn’t agree with.
    Post edited by mace1229 on