Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    Funny I attended high school in the early 70’s I can’t recall not one mass school shooting happening, why ? Are they happening now with such frequency? 
    Social media.  News cycle.  Glorifying these losers.

Stop naming them on national TV, some people do this for that reason.  

Don't let them plea bargain to avoid the death penalty.
    So if a crazy person is determined to kill, they will find a gun no matter what, but if we stop naming them on TV and threaten death penalty, their determination will magically fizzle?

This is what bothers me about the gun advocate crowd, it's the most disingenuous and flip flopping debate crowd that exists.
    "They are determined, laws won't stop them"
    "50 blue million distractions that we should address instead of laws"

"I specifically need an AR to hunt dangerous game in the bush"
    "It is the exact same gun as a this innocuous looking thing, it isn't any more effective"

"It's a mental health/psychotropic drug issue"
    "We can't take guns away or prevent access based on mental health"

The list goes on and it's astounding.
    I said *some*, which even in your world should equal *not all*.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    unsung said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Funny I attended high school in the early 70’s I can’t recall not one mass school shooting happening, why ? Are they happening now with such frequency? 
    Not to mention, firearms were actually allowed on campuses back then.  I remember almost all pickups of the parking lot having gun racks and loaded firearms resting in them.  
    Not here in NY maybe in backwoods states like were you live not here I never saw any rifles on back of pickup truck windows ...
    We also don't have mass shootings in NY if you want to go that route.

In the last 30 years gun deaths have gone up, fact.

What else has happened that would mirror this phenomenon?

Internet?
    Different laws towards Mental Health?
    No spanking your kids?
    Not disciplining your kids?
    Medicating ourselves rather than getting real help?

Gun laws have actually increased over the years not decreased so there HAS to be an other underlying cause.
    Parents wanting to be their kid's best friend instead of their parent.
    Funny but that’s how I brought up my two adult kids by being there talking to them finding out what was bothering them etc etc etc , just one thing missing we never had any weapons in our house or my parents house ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited February 2018
    unsung said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Not to mention, firearms were actually allowed on campuses back then.  I remember almost all pickups of the parking lot having gun racks and loaded firearms resting in them.  
    Not here in NY maybe in backwoods states like were you live not here I never saw any rifles on back of pickup truck windows ...

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

Gun laws have actually increased over the years not decreased so there HAS to be an other underlying cause.
    A non-sequitur which is completely contradicted by the evidence regarding these mass shooters, the majority of whom are from dysfunctional or even abusive families where no one is their “best friend”; kind of like this most recent shooter, who was an orphan shipped around to whoever would take him. 

It’s funny how you can simultaneously ridicule today’s youth for being overcoddled snowflakes who are somehow also mass murderers. 

Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Sometimes these guys hit too close to the truth. ....

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    unsung said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

A non-sequitur which is completely contradicted by the evidence regarding these mass shooters, the majority of whom are from dysfunctional or even abusive families where no one is there “best friend”; kind of like this most recent shooter, who was an orphan shipped around to whoever would take him. 

It’s funny how you can simultaneously ridicule today’s youth for being overcoddled snowflakes who are somehow also mass murderers. 

Aint that the truth , i feel for kids it bothers me more than any other human issue to see young kids suffer i hate it when i see it , hell when my parents were both immigrants with not a pot to piss into but you know what they gave me & two siblings a whole lot of love we grew up poor but happy so i feel terrible for the kids who got gunned down at the same time i feel for this kid who probably never felt LOVE real LOVE parenting LOVE like i've felt and passed it onto my two kids , it sucks to know or hear about kids getting bullied that they have to lash out damn i'm sad about this ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The Vegas shooter was a coddled millennial?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited February 2018
    Anyone else watching the town hall in Florida tonight hosted by CNN? Very interested to see where it goes with the NRA and Rubio involved.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    dignin said:
    riley540 said:
    Social media, news, ect. I think it’s all contributing. The major difference between now and the 1980s is the full time access to media. It’s in our hands all day 

Any evidence to back that up? Because there is a lot of evidence to show that there are a lot more guns out there today, and a lot more assault style weapons.

This isn't complicated, as much as some try and make it complicated.
    No concrete proof or evidence. Just ideas. Nobody knows why people do these things. 

I simply believe thag banning AR15s won’t end school shooting. Columbine, V tech, two of the worst and hand guns were used. I guess my belief is that nothing good, or bad will happen if a ban is implemented. 

What i beileive is important is determining the error is some people that motivate them to do heinous acts. 
    No, it won't stop them. But if assault rifles do get banned, then the next guy that wants to go shoot up a public place wont have these guns that fire 50 plus rounds a minute readily available to use. They would be forced to use a weapon that isn't capable of shooting so many people at one time before reloading. This gives the people being shot at time to run. Or even time to stop him. 

Think about any of the shootings that have occurred with these assault rifles. Imagine how many less people would have been killed had the shooter not had an AR or an AK. It's all about getting rid of the ability to shoot so many rounds in such a short period of time.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Surely the figures showing the amount of gun deaths PER CAPITA  in the US, when compared against other countries lets people see that there IS a gun problem in the US????

Lots of other countries have very similar issues to the US, with Mental Health, 24hr Media and news, race issues, drugs,  large cities, criminals, assaults, robberies etc, but there is a big difference. They do not have the amount of guns that the US has and most do not have the ease of access. The frequency of gun related events in the US, far outweighs any other comparable country. 

It's time to WAKE UP and realise that guns are a factor and better controls and tighter restrictions, including the banning of some weapons  that have no business in the hands of a civilian, are required.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

According to FBI statistics gun deaths have actually been on a decline the past 20 years in the US
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh.  They hate when facts are brought up.
    Looks like we can add statistics to the list of things you don't understand.  Remember your economics lesson after the tax break passed?

If you got a 5% raise
    and your boss got a 10% raise
    did you really get a raise?

Similarly, if homicides went down 10%
    and gun deaths went down 5%
    was there really a reduction in gun deaths?

If anything, this indicates society is working towards solving all the extraneous factors you gun nuts claim contributes to gun violence, which would lead us to conclude that guns are the largest contributing factor to gun violence.  Shocking, I know.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    The Vegas shooter was a coddled millennial?
    In Unsung’s alternative reality he was. Just took him 63 years to rage against it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

According to FBI statistics gun deaths have actually been on a decline the past 20 years in the US
    Looks like we can add statistics to the list of things you don't understand.  Remember your economics lesson after the tax break passed?

If you got a 5% raise

If anything, this indicates society is working towards solving all the extraneous factors you gun nuts claim contributes to gun violence, which would lead us to conclude that guns are the largest contributing factor to gun violence.  Shocking, I know.
    My check says so.

Guns can die? How?

That is another, gun violence.   Often talked about in Chicago.  In reality it is gang violence.  I mean, even earlier in this thread someone said so.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

If you got a 5% raise

My check says so.

Guns can die? How?

That is another, gun violence.   Often talked about in Chicago.  In reality it is gang violence.  I mean, even earlier in this thread someone said so.

My apologies for trying to engage with you as an equal.  I keep forgetting 1/2 the population has below average intelligence.  I will try not to broach complex concepts with you in the future.  Here, let me simplify things for you:

more guns = more gun deaths
    less guns = less gun deaths

*it really is that simple*
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

And of course all statistics are 100% reliable "facts".  Got it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    In any case, lets at the very least let's ban the automatic weapons like M-16's etc.  and require better back ground checks. Why that is a problem for some just simply boggles my mind.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    No Coder said:
    Surely the figures showing the amount of gun deaths PER CAPITA  in the US, when compared against other countries lets people see that there IS a gun problem in the US????

Lots of other countries have very similar issues to the US, with Mental Health, 24hr Media and news, race issues, drugs,  large cities, criminals, assaults, robberies etc, but there is a big difference. They do not have the amount of guns that the US has and most do not have the ease of access. The frequency of gun related events in the US, far outweighs any other comparable country. 

It's time to WAKE UP and realise that guns are a factor and better controls and tighter restrictions, including the banning of some weapons  that have no business in the hands of a civilian, are required.

Another interesting thing about this graphic is that Switzerland has a very high rate of gun ownership. How surprising that they also have a higher than average European rate of gun deaths. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

Tempo I definitely agree with all those changes.  I also think the internet, 24 hour news cycle and social media has had a huge impact on the rise of mass shootings.
    Is the US the only country that has the internet, 24 hour news and social media?
    Yes
    Haha, say what?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    brianlux said:
    In any case, lets at the very least let's ban the automatic weapons like M-16's etc.  and require better back ground checks. Why that is a problem for some just simply boggles my mind.
    Careful, your whole argument will be discarded for using the wrong terminology. Semi-auto rifles and the publicly available M-16 knock off most commonly sold as AR-15s. ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited February 2018
    Oops, double post....so have this picture.

Image result for gun nut
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Easy Brian, you're infringing on their 2nd amendment right to own any gun. After all, the second amendment supersedes our right to live without fear of being mowed down by said M16
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I wake up in fear in Taiwan every day.  There was mass shooting over 50 years ago.

Fortunately, Taiwan has no mental health issues, no social media and no 24 hour news channels.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    I wake up in fear in Taiwan every day.  There was mass shooting over 50 years ago.

Fortunately, Taiwan has no mental health issues, no social media and no 24 hour news channels.
    Must be because it’s not densely populated, that you have plenty of personal space out and about on the sidewalks and on mass transit? Calm, peacefulness is just a short walk from your front door or office building as well, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Must be because it’s not densely populated, that you have plenty of personal space out and about on the sidewalks and on mass transit? Calm, peacefulness is just a short walk from your front door or office building as well, right?
    Yup, there are not millions of scooters clogging the streets, driving and parking on sidewalks
  • Options
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    To boot... he's got his wife's shorts on.
    Image result for funny pictures of people with guns
    Unsung?

(kidding)
    Jealous?

Just clowning around. I don't picture you like this. I picture you more like that reclusive guy on Shooter (the Mark Wahlberg movie).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    dignin said:
    riley540 said:
    Social media, news, ect. I think it’s all contributing. The major difference between now and the 1980s is the full time access to media. It’s in our hands all day 

Any evidence to back that up? Because there is a lot of evidence to show that there are a lot more guns out there today, and a lot more assault style weapons.

This isn't complicated, as much as some try and make it complicated.
    No concrete proof or evidence. Just ideas. Nobody knows why people do these things. 

I simply believe thag banning AR15s won’t end school shooting. Columbine, V tech, two of the worst and hand guns were used. I guess my belief is that nothing good, or bad will happen if a ban is implemented. 

What i beileive is important is determining the error is some people that motivate them to do heinous acts. 

You mean outside of the evidence displayed by many other countries that initiated and followed through on sweeping gun reform that have yielded very favourable results? 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Easy Brian, you're infringing on their 2nd amendment right to own any gun. After all, the second amendment supersedes our right to live without fear of being mowed down by said M16
    Oh man, the nerve of me, LOL! 

Don't you just love it when people talk about the second amendment like it was given by God to Moses on stone:  "Thou shalt allow thy citizens the right to bear weapons intended to mow down the masses".  And they also conveniently forget what that amendment was really about way back when it was written.  Time for a change.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Don't you just love it when people talk about the second amendment like it was given by God to Moses on stone:  "Thou shalt allow thy citizens the right to bear weapons intended to mow down the masses".  And they also conveniently forget what that amendment was really about way back when it was written.  Time for a change.
    To be fair the 10 commandments are really dumb too.  Strangely enough those who love the 2nd also love the 10 commandments.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

To be fair the 10 commandments are really dumb too.  Strangely enough those who love the 2nd also love the 10 commandments.
    Or at least they claim to. 

Didn't somebody do a comedy routine about "The Ten Suggestion" or did I just imagine that?

• Options
    I get it finally. Adults, who you think would just understand things like an adult might, simply cannot because they were indoctrinated at a very early age:

• Options
    I get it finally. Adults, who you think would just understand things like an adult might, simply cannot because they were indoctrinated at a very early age:

sad commentary
This discussion has been closed.