Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Crazy thing is....we will eventually have gun control.  There will be strict licensing and registration.  There will be bans on assault weapons and ammo.

It's just a matter of when.  
    So might as well just keep letting these things happen until then, right?  I’ll check back in 100 years...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
    I think that is a horrific idea.
    More horrific than 17 bodies?
    and then what happens when you have the first student to be murdered by a teacher? "i thought he was reaching for a gun! it turned out it was just his protractor!"
    Then the same thing happens to them that happens to police in that situation.  They get tried for murder.  That’s why good “training” is so important, to minimize those possibilities.
    teachers have it tough enough as it is. arming them and training them to deal with these situations is so far from the answer, i really can't even believe it's being seriously suggested and embraced. 
    It is unbelievable that this has even been entertained outside of a few 'out there' posts What a strange place.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    Crazy thing is....we will eventually have gun control.  There will be strict licensing and registration.  There will be bans on assault weapons and ammo.

So might as well just keep letting these things happen until then, right?  I’ll check back in 100 years...
    pretty sure that's not at all what gern is suggesting here. i think it was just a general observation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    the shit i've been reading on twitter this morning from the right. all of a sudden it's a mental health issue. for decades the republicans refuted any claim that mental illness was actually a problem. as soon as they figured out they could use it as an excuse to deflect from the gun problem, voila, all of a sudden they agree it's a problem. disgusting people. 
    And yet Trump won't release that WH photo of him rolling back the mental health restrictions on gun ownership last year. How strange? Mental health indeed. The mental health of gun advocates.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

pretty sure that's not at all what gern is suggesting here. i think it was just a general observation. 
    That’s the general tone around here, though.  “If we can’t ban ar-15s, then let’s do nothing”.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

That’s the general tone around here, though.  “If we can’t ban ar-15s, then let’s do nothing”.
    An AR-15 has no reasonable purpose in the hands of a civilain who isn't in LE or Military while acting in the course of their duties. In contrast your tone is, we aren't able to ban guns so let's add more to the cache. I can't think of any other societal issue where we take the stance of adding more or increasing the item that needs fixing besides the economy and guns and we've seen how that turns out.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Not to mention that people have asked for gun registries, extensive background checks, raising the age to purchase all firearms, adding psychological assessments to the background, etc. Yeah, nothing but asking to ban guns. Ok, then.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

no, it's not. the tone is that some of these suggestions are going to make the problem worse. i get so annoyed when people are suggesting that just because some of us don't believe more guns is the answer that the attitude is "you don't care about kids' safety, I do". that's total bullshit. we all want these kids and people in general to be safe. but more guns are not the answer. i understand that you believe that will be a stopgap, but it won't stop there. when the shootings continue, it will be "ok, let kids aged 15 and up have a handgun as long as they went through Gunners Ed classes". seriously. you think that's ludicrous? talk to someone in 1975 and ask them what they think of teachers being armed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824

You just said "assault weapons."  

Now we have to take a lengthy tangent on the semantics of the definition of "assault weapon."  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Highline College, 15 miles south of Seattle, is on lockdown after reports of heard gunfire.  No evidence of a shooter or victims yet. Police are currently investigating.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

no, it's not. the tone is that some of these suggestions are going to make the problem worse. i get so annoyed when people are suggesting that just because some of us don't believe more guns is the answer that the attitude is "you don't care about kids' safety, I do". that's total bullshit. we all want these kids and people in general to be safe. but more guns are not the answer. i understand that you believe that will be a stopgap, but it won't stop there. when the shootings continue, it will be "ok, let kids aged 15 and up have a handgun as long as they went through Gunners Ed classes". seriously. you think that's ludicrous? talk to someone in 1975 and ask them what they think of teachers being armed. 
    Again, I respectfully disagree and believe that you must meet force with force.  It is going to take more than someone saying “more guns is not the answer” to sway my opinion.  Why are people okay with law enforcement carrying weapons?  Their guns are pretty effective at neutralizing threats.  There are plenty of schools already arming their staff in some form or fashion.  When one of them gets shot up in the same manner (unlikely), then I will evaluate and consider other approaches.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Highline College, 15 miles south of Seattle, is on lockdown after reports of heard gunfire.  No evidence of a shooter or victims yet. Police are currently investigating.
    I've been following that one. Reports are that police have cleared most of the building and found nothing. Thank God because we used all of our thoughts and prayers the other day already.
  • Options
    the shit i've been reading on twitter this morning from the right. all of a sudden it's a mental health issue. for decades the republicans refuted any claim that mental illness was actually a problem. as soon as they figured out they could use it as an excuse to deflect from the gun problem, voila, all of a sudden they agree it's a problem. disgusting people. 
    Of course.  It's a mental health issue when it's a white guy.  When it's a black guy, a mexican, or a muslim, only then do they call it what it is - terrorism.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I've been following that one. Reports are that police have cleared most of the building and found nothing. Thank God because we used all of our thoughts and prayers the other day already.
    Lol
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Lockdown has been lifted, all buildings cleared. Classes canceled for the remainder of the day and students sent home.  Supposedly a jackass let off fireworks in his room.  Fucker needs to go to jail for about 10 years.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah my point was these things will keep happening until the ignorant can't ignore it anymore and we fix it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    How many of the gun nuts have ever lived outside of thier state let alone country. Come to england and live or go to a European country and live for a while. Broaden your world. There really is no need for guns at all. Its only the usa that has this fake view that they need protection but it's only from another gun user.  Its all unbelievably simple. You do not need a gun. End of
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Root of the problem lol you all are literally insane.
    What problem has America EVER gotten to the root of?  
    Logistically, a teacher can't stop a shooting but we can collectively as a society solve the logistics of poverty, mental health, and firearm proliferation in no time, eh?

Other countries have solved their gun violence problems. See Australia, Canada, Japan, etc. for the model.

And you missed my point which I probably never made very clear: dumping this problem on the shoulders of teachers who simply wish to teach is not right for countless reasons.

If that is the approach the US wants to take... then station trained soldiers in every school and have soldiers do soldierly duties on the homeland.
    I know plenty of teachers that would gladly jump on the opportunity, especially if there was a pay incentive behind it...but I’m in TX, so...
    This might be so... but it is still inappropriate.
    Yeah and expressed those same sentiments 6 years ago when 20 little kids were slaughtered.
    What's changed since then?  How high does the body count need to get before it becomes appropriate?
    So put a f**king navy seal in the school then. Training the wierd art teacher to leave his shading lesson, run to the gun safe, grab the school gun, and make his way through the mayhem to deal with some f**king idiot is not the answer.

My gawd, RG. I know where you sit with this issue and I know you're hot under the collar, but you're not thinking clearly enough here in my mind.
    Why not, if that art teacher has displayed the proficiency requirements and runs through scenario trainings?  Seems like a better approach that expecting them to stand in front of the students taking bullets in hopes that the students can escape.  In his particular shooting, one or two armed individuals with good training would have stopped the perp in his tracks.
    You know what REALLY would have stopped the perp in his tracks?  Not being able to purchase and possess a god damn AR-15.

But I'm unqualified to speak in this thread, so pardon me while I go back to keeping my unreasonable and disrespectful comments to myself. :weary:
    So how do we make that happen?
    Do you think it's even possible in our current political climate?
    First things first: stop the introduction of more AR15s into circulation. Proceed from there.
    Snap fingers, make ar-15s go away, that’s your plan?  Come on man, even you are smart enough to know that is probably going to take YEARS.  Simple question, what realistically can be done NOW if in the crazy unlikelihood the snapping fingers method doesn’t work?

Armed security guards yes teachers to just teach just think about it 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Oh boy can’t even quote correctly 
  • Options
    Just think that for a teacher/faculty employees to have the responsibility of securing and stopping shooters/shooter is not the route I’d want for my kids schools , have to have a total profesional be in charge of that job ..
  • Options
    Just think that for a teacher/faculty employees to have the responsibility of securing and stopping shooters/shooter is not the route I’d want for my kids schools , have to have a total profesional be in charge of that job ..
    I’d be okay with that too, I was just trying to think of ways of increasing teacher salaries too :). Thanks for being open minded, btw!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Kids are getting gunned down by the dozens and people want to worry about the psychological effects on society of locked doors?  How about the psychological effect of living in a society where mass shootings occur nearly every day?
    We ain't fixing shit in this country so we'd better get real. 

My blood is boiling over on this issue and I'm not sorry.  People need to wake the fuck up and see reality for what it is.  
    what you're doing is falling into the trap the republicans and the gun lobby want you to fall into. throw your hands up at them and try another fix that doesn't involve gun legislation. but i agree with pjsoul, and no, it's not about locked doors. it's much more than that. i wouldn't want my child growing up learning to read while looking contemplatively at the gun in their teacher's holster. it's not a nurturing environment to be in, and i think would go a long way to desensitize society further down the 'guns are just another part of life' rabbit hole. 
    Yeah well it's easy to call it a trap without skin in the game.  You talk about legislation, have you seen our government?  You have, you know deep in your core we won't fix this problem.  We just had a huge election and Trump won it.  Maybe this midterm elections will surprise me, but right now anything other than brutal, cynical realism is childish and naive.
    None of the ideas we debate here will ever see a reasonable shot of being a part of reality if we can't even beat guys like Trump at the polls.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    I’d be okay with that too, I was just trying to think of ways of increasing teacher salaries too :). Thanks for being open minded, btw!
    Hey I think all of us here are so yeah this sucks that so much of our train of thoughts are about these horrific events...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
    and then what happens when you have the first student to be murdered by a teacher? "i thought he was reaching for a gun! it turned out it was just his protractor!"
    Then the same thing happens to them that happens to police in that situation.  They get tried for murder.  That’s why good “training” is so important, to minimize those possibilities.
    teachers have it tough enough as it is. arming them and training them to deal with these situations is so far from the answer, i really can't even believe it's being seriously suggested and embraced. 
    It is unbelievable that this has even been entertained outside of a few 'out there' posts What a strange place.
    To you and HFD whom you quoted I say this:
    If this is an indictment against America and our core values and sickness, I accept it.
    If it's an indictment on those of us who are entertaining this idea, I reject and I call bullshit.
    Easily done from Canada.  You sit back with your superior society and judge us as a whole, yeah I agree, it's bonkers here.  But if you sit there and start questioning the actions and ideas of people who are getting desperate in ways that you really can't relate to, then that's pretty shitty.
  • Options
    Always Sunny In Philadelphia 
    Gun Fever Too: Still Hot

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I teach and I'd be for it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rgambs said:
    Always Sunny In Philadelphia 
    Gun Fever Too: Still Hot

Keep fighting the good fight gambs, dont lose hope, you're one of the good ones.
  • Options
    But I still think I’d wanna work on stopping the shooter outside the school as the 1st means, once the kid with weapon is in the school it becomes harder to stop them...
This discussion has been closed.