Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    Smellyman said:
    Do you think Barry Bonds could have helped teams when he was black balled and shunned by the league? 
    Of course he could have.  So could Kaepernick, which is what my point has been relative to his playing ability.

I think that lots of people use that word -- the ref was the one who took offense.  Maybe he didn't know that Kaepernick identifies himself as a black man?  I could see if Alex Smith called someone that how people would be offended.

"He was just saying inappropriate language," Houston told the Tribune on Monday night at MetLife Stadium. He said Kaepernick cursed at him, including using the N-word.

Asked if he was insulted, Houston said it's more a "cultural thing." Houston reiterated that he incensed Kaepernick on the play by saying "nice pass" at the end of a Kyle Fuller interception.

I feel that Kaepernick is having a positive impact by doing what he is doing.  People can shit on his head all that they like.  Even if you think he is an idiot and a crap player, look at what his donations can do to help people.  People want to line up to kick this guy in the balls when he is trying to help people.  Who cares if it is a way for him to keep getting attention or whatever else people are taking issue with.  He is helping people.

Okay I guess he's just fantastic then.

I honestly couldn't give two shits what Kap does. I'm impressed with him keeping his promise on the million dollars and he has made a positive impact... but he is not Ghandi.

At this point... some shit team would do well to take a chance on him and hope for a revival of his career. It would be a great story and an opportunity to make the shit team somewhat marketable. If some shit team does take him... I wouldn't be upset. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    For not caring, you sure live in this thread
    I like a lively discussion. Thanks for noting me!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    I don't have strong feelings about Kap one way or the other, but I do think some of his supporters are ignoring a potential employer's responsibility to research and be concerned by potential red flags. Forget that it's the NFL for a minute. QB is a face-of-the-organization position. Not just in the workplace (on the field) but in the community, in front of the press, etc. Every job applicant knows his/her background is going to be checked out and their references will be called. For Kap those  reports come back saying "He was good for us early on, but we did see diminished production over time. Oh, also, he started each workday with a political protest." How many businesses are going to hire that guy?
    Yeah, I certainly understand your point.
    My argument is against those who say he is not good enough to play, or that what he is doing is in some way bad.
    He's not good enough to play for my team. We brought him in, put a Seahawks practice jersey on him and gave him a trial, but he's a mediocre QB who would never start on my team, and is looking for too much money to be a backup QB (and I'm not sure he could have beaten either of our backup contenders in preseason). And my team isn't afraid of a little kneeling or sitting during the anthem, so that is a secondary issue. I think Kaep is a douchenozzle, and formed that opinion of him long before his girlfriend converted him to activism. But I do agree that he is probably an upgrade for a couple of shitty teams.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited September 2017
    Kaep is for sure way better than Hoyer.
    The CFL sucks, need a separate thread for that.  Kaep would destroy that league just getting the ball and running around.  Hell, Crap On a Plate Doug Flutie was a star up there and the midget couldn't even see over a proper O Line.  He split time with Rob Johnson, who sucks even worse than Hoyer.
    I am saying he is out of a job because of his personality & because the league would rather steer clear of protesters over sitting during the anthem than protesters about Elliott and these other pieces of walking fucking garbage who smack women around. 
    Not pretending that he was a great QB -- but I think y'all are crazy that maintain he is worse than Hoyer or some of these other bums that are in the NFL right now.  I watched the games -- I am not relying on ESPN or other rags telling me what my opinion should be based on a bad string of games. 

the CFL does not suck, but you are right, Kaep would run circles around everyone in our league. There is no disputing the difference in talent between the CFL and the NFL, but I still prefer the CFL game more. People like the glitz and production money the NFL has. NFL is a game you can watch while doing something else, kind of like hosting an Oscar party. The CFL is something you dig into. 
    Agreed. Yes, Kaepernick is definitely good enough for the CFL, which may seem like a criticism to the league, lol, but CFL is way more entertaining to watch than NFL in terms of the game itself IMHO, and many would agree with me (and no, not as a matter of pride, hahaha). Compared to the NFL "presentation", CFL seems fucking bush league, but if you get into it and aren't biased, you might reasonably feel that it is more engaging out on the field. My main problem with the CFL is that the league isn't big enough for there to be a really solid sense of competition. Not enough teams. I hope that changes in the future. Of course the market needs to grow... maybe it will if Canada somehow grows its population significantly, but I don't really see that happening.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited September 2017
    jeffbr said:
    JimmyV said:
    I don't have strong feelings about Kap one way or the other, but I do think some of his supporters are ignoring a potential employer's responsibility to research and be concerned by potential red flags. Forget that it's the NFL for a minute. QB is a face-of-the-organization position. Not just in the workplace (on the field) but in the community, in front of the press, etc. Every job applicant knows his/her background is going to be checked out and their references will be called. For Kap those  reports come back saying "He was good for us early on, but we did see diminished production over time. Oh, also, he started each workday with a political protest." How many businesses are going to hire that guy?
    My argument is against those who say he is not good enough to play, or that what he is doing is in some way bad.
    He's not good enough to play for my team. We brought him in, put a Seahawks practice jersey on him and gave him a trial, but he's a mediocre QB who would never start on my team, and is looking for too much money to be a backup QB (and I'm not sure he could have beaten either of our backup contenders in preseason). And my team isn't afraid of a little kneeling or sitting during the anthem, so that is a secondary issue. I think Kaep is a douchenozzle, and formed that opinion of him long before his girlfriend converted him to activism. But I do agree that he is probably an upgrade for a couple of shitty teams.
    Yeah, you guys are set at QB.  Also, I would expect Seattle fans to dislike him based on the matchups.  (Just as any SF fan will think Sherman is an overrated loudmouth.)  :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    PJ_Soul said:
    The CFL sucks, need a separate thread for that.  Kaep would destroy that league just getting the ball and running around.  Hell, Crap On a Plate Doug Flutie was a star up there and the midget couldn't even see over a proper O Line.  He split time with Rob Johnson, who sucks even worse than Hoyer.
    I am saying he is out of a job because of his personality & because the league would rather steer clear of protesters over sitting during the anthem than protesters about Elliott and these other pieces of walking fucking garbage who smack women around. 
    Not pretending that he was a great QB -- but I think y'all are crazy that maintain he is worse than Hoyer or some of these other bums that are in the NFL right now.  I watched the games -- I am not relying on ESPN or other rags telling me what my opinion should be based on a bad string of games. 

the CFL does not suck, but you are right, Kaep would run circles around everyone in our league. There is no disputing the difference in talent between the CFL and the NFL, but I still prefer the CFL game more. People like the glitz and production money the NFL has. NFL is a game you can watch while doing something else, kind of like hosting an Oscar party. The CFL is something you dig into. 
    Agreed. Yes, Kaepernick is definitely good enough for the CFL, which may seem like a criticism to the league, lol, but CFL is way more entertaining to watch than NFL in terms of the game itself IMHO, and many would agree with me (and no, not as a matter of pride, hahaha). Compared to the NFL "presentation", CFL seems fucking bush league, but if you get into it and aren't biased, you might reasonably feel that it is more engaging out on the field. My main problem with the CFL is that the league isn't big enough for there to be a really solid sense of competition. Not enough teams. I hope that changes in the future. Of course the market needs to grow... maybe it will if Canada somehow grows its population significantly, but I don't really see that happening.
    this is the point I've been trying to make. it's the game, not the talent. If you had the NFL with CFL rules, I'd watch it in a heartbeat. 

there is an obvious draw for it out east; I don't know why they don't expand out there. Maybe not enough people with enough coin to buy/run a team? They just keep wanting to stuff more teams into southern Ontario, which is stupid. Regina could probably have two teams for crying out loud. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah, you guys are set at QB.  Also, I would expect Seattle fans to dislike him based on the matchups.  (Just as any SF fan will think Sherman is an overrated loudmouth.)  :)
    Exactly! Yeah, my dislike of Kaep has nothing to do with the kneeling issue. Bennet is every bit as vocal and demonstrative as Kaep on that subject, and I'm a Michael Bennett fan. I'm also a Sherman fan, but recognize that I'd hate him if he played for a different team. Lol.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    PJ_Soul said:

this is the point I've been trying to make. it's the game, not the talent. If you had the NFL with CFL rules, I'd watch it in a heartbeat. 

there is an obvious draw for it out east; I don't know why they don't expand out there. Maybe not enough people with enough coin to buy/run a team? They just keep wanting to stuff more teams into southern Ontario, which is stupid. Regina could probably have two teams for crying out loud. 
    Gussying up the game isnt an improvement.

It would be akin to trying to jazz up hockey by removing the red line.....oh, wait, hell.....never mind!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    How do cfl rules differ?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mcgruff10 said:
    How do cfl rules differ?
    The field is longer and wider, deeper end zones, goal posts are placed differently, an extra guy on the field.... and a bunch of other subtle differences in the rules. But the biggest difference is that CFL has only 3 downs instead of 4.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    How do cfl rules differ?
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-major-differences-between-the-NFL-and-CFL-rules-for-football
    • CFL field is both longer (110 yards vs. 100 yards) and wider (something like 65 vs. 50). End zones are also deeper (20 yards vs. 10 yards).
    • Goal posts are at the front of the end zone in CFL, whereas they're on the back line in the NFL. This has a few secondary effects such as extra points being taken from the 5 in the CFL (vs. the 2.5 in the NFL), and makes it more likely that a missed field goal will be returned in the CFL. (Technically, you can return a missed FG in the NFL, but since the posts are on the back line, it rarely happens because as long as a kick is long enough, the ball ends up out of play).
    • 12 men on the field for CFL, 11 for NFL. Extra guy on offense is a backfield position; on defense, it can be anything.
    • 3 downs to gain 10 yards for a first down in the CFL; 4 downs for NFL. Between this and the larger field, this tends to create a more pass-oriented game, as the short running game isn't as viable.
    • In the NFL, only a single offensive player can be moving when the ball is snapped, and the player may not be moving forward. In the CFL, any backs may be moving when the ball is snapped, and in any direction (i.e. WRs can get a running start if they time it right).
    • When a ball is fumbled out of bounds, in the NFL it goes to the last team with clear possession; in the CFL, it goes to the last team to touch it.
    • No fair catch rule in CFL; instead, no player except the kicker or a player behind the kicker can approach within 5 yards of the ball until the receiving team touches the ball.
    • Additional scoring option in CFL - the "rouge" gives a single point when a kickoff goes out of the end zone or is not returned out of the end zone.
    • Consistent with the game's soccer/rugby roots, CFL retains the idea of an open-field kick -- that any player can kick the ball at any time -- whereas the only kicks allowed in the NFL are from behind the line of scrimmage. 

I'm an NFL fan, but enjoy watching CFL. Much more passing (since you only have a couple of downs to work with), and a faster paced game overall. The talent level isn't as high, but I like the pace. No boring ground and pound for 3 hours.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I remember when Baltimore had a CFL team.  Went to the Grey Cup both years of their existence, winning the 2nd.  They folded after the Championship year when the Browns announced they were moving from Cleveland to Baltimore.
  • Options
    I like the cfl rules!!!! I might have to catch a game the next time it is on.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like the cfl rules!!!! I might have to catch a game the next time it is on.
    It's fun to watch.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/28/from-house-to-house-hazelton-hauls-in-108-yard-td-pass/

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Hoyer should take a knee
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ed243421 said:
    Hoyer should take a knee
    YOU should take a knee!

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread#latest
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Hoyer is so bad.   Awful.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    I'm gonna take a knee right now.  No wait, I gotta do something else first...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Hoyer aside... Goff looks pretty good. He's been much better so far in his second year.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Smellyman said:

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

Uugh! As a kid it made zero sense to me.  Same thing with hearing the same rote grace said over and over again before meals.  Same thing with tardy slips.  Etc!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Smellyman said:

Of course, it's true that young children don't have an understanding of the larger societal context, but eight year old children can certainly understand unfairness and discrimination. Some of them may even have experienced it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Hoyer shows some fight, I respect that.  He's still bad - they might be winning if they had a competent QB.

Nobody should be hurt for something like that

We showed our three year old how to properly salute during the pledge.  (Although I changed Under God to Under Dad when we practiced
      Yes, my wife (who is very religious) was upset with me.)

I love our flag - when we bought the house one of the first things I did was dig a hole, get a bag of sack-crete and put in a flagpole.  Put a light on the flag.  
    That said, if you don't salute the flag, that is your choice and doesn't hurt my feelings.
  • Options
    Good fight - Hoyer sucks dicks.  Not as much as their kicker....but he sucks.  Fun game.  Not sure how the CFL tops that but I'm sure people will still hate on Kaepernick for this game, somehow.  

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Good fight - Hoyer sucks dicks.  Not as much as their kicker....but he sucks.  Fun game.  Not sure how the CFL tops that but I'm sure people will still hate on Kaepernick for this game, somehow.  

Refs had to get involved.  What a lame offensive pass interference call.
  • Options

You mean like how you're managing to hate on Hoyer right now? What does he have to do for you? 
  • Options
    Dude,Hoyer stinks.
    Anyone who knows anything about football would watch this game and say the same thing
    I don't hate on Hoyer for the color of his skin or for what he has to say.  I do not like him because he is a really bad QB my favorite team.
    He is awful.
  • Options
    They ran and settled for a FG in the first half that any team that remotely trusted their QB would have passed on.  
    Enough said.  He stinks

Kaep would have done better.  
  • Options
    The 49ers are 0-3. Looks like they've officially taken a knee on the 2017 NFL season.
  • Options
    Entire Seattle high school football team takes a knee before pummeling Ed's neighborhood high school:
     http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/garfield-football-team-takes-knee-prior-to-game-friday-night/
    This kind of upsets me.  The kids are kneeling for a reason but chose NOT to talk about those reasons?

You have a stage now kids!  Speak up and speak out!

Entire Seattle high school football team takes a knee before pummeling Ed's neighborhood high school:
     http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/garfield-football-team-takes-knee-prior-to-game-friday-night/
    I can't believe none of you commented on this?

Watch this happen a whole lot more now.