Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    can someone remind me why Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during national anthems?
    Google it.
    “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,”....“To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

not sure how often this was mentioned yesterday by the NFL, NFL owners and those kneeling or sitting with Kaep.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    can someone remind me why Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during national anthems?
    Google it.
    “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,”....“To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

not sure how often this was mentioned yesterday by the NFL, NFL owners and those kneeling or sitting with Kaep.
    Sooo, what's your point if you're not sure?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Google it.

He's saying the recent demonstration was less altruistic than Kaep's.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    So here is my prediction.

The NFL is going to lose a lot of viewers so ratings will get worse.

They won't require teams to be present on the field during the anthem.

20 years ago the players weren't on the field for it and they will probably revisit that.

The NFL is going to be hit in their bank accounts so they will make a change real soon.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    they don't require them to be on the field now. they encourage them to, but it's not required. they only started even being out of the dressing rooms for the anthem in 2009. so all of these "patriots" seem to be outraged about something they don't understand. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    they don't require them to be on the field now. they encourage them to, but it's not required. they only started even being out of the dressing rooms for the anthem in 2009. so all of these "patriots" seem to be outraged about something they don't understand. 
    Haha well that's patriotism 101 right there
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Google it.

I'm not tuned into every game and every comment but what I did see yesterday before during and after the anthems, the recaps and reactions, it wasn't mentioned at all. Did you or anyone else see hear different?
    If I woke up from a 13 month coma I would think it's about free speech, inequality and Trump. I would never have the slightest idea it was about cops indiscriminately killing black people with impunity.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

20 years ago the players weren't on the field for it and they will probably revisit that.

The NFL is going to be hit in their bank accounts so they will make a change real soon.
    Do you really think they are going to lose viewer over this? Like the drunken dipshit who gets angry at this will make a stand enough of his own to give up his excuse to guzzle Budweiser, eat potato chips and sit on the couch all day Sunday or tailgate like a college freshman. You are giving way too much credit and overall commitment to the average fan. I think the NFL actually has lost more viewership over their lack of control over players other behavior and the pandering to corporate greed. This will probably increase viewers.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Google it.

I'm not tuned into every game and every comment but what I did see yesterday before during and after the anthems, the recaps and reactions, it wasn't mentioned at all. Did you or anyone else see hear different?
    If I woke up from a 13 month coma I would think it's about free speech, inequality and Trump. I would never have the slightest idea it was about cops indiscriminately killing black people with impunity.
    What happened yesterday was a direct response because of what Trump had said about the few players kneeling.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Google it.

To answer your question, I don't know how much it was mentioned during broadcasts of games.  I've only watched 3 games in the last 3 seasons - the Super Bowls.  But I'm not the one questioning that.
    I did see plenty of news networks talking all day long about athletes' protests for racial injustice, though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Some pot stirring going on today - Trump got what he wanted, which for whatever reason was a spectacle and more eyeballs on this.
    Sure most of the people that voted him to victory see nothing wrong with what he is doing...and that is a lot of people.  As our "leader" would tweet -- #sad

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

um, no. if anything, this probably increased viewership. the NFL has already shown, from the owners and the commissioner, that they stand by their players, not President Cheeto. And no sponsor in their right mind is going to pull out of their deals with any teams because of this. the backlash would be swift and brutal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Google it.

To answer your question, I don't know how much it was mentioned during broadcasts of games.  I've only watched 3 games in the last 3 seasons - the Super Bowls.  But I'm not the one questioning that.
    I did see plenty of news networks talking all day long about athletes' protests for racial injustice, though.
    I'm not big into football, currently I'm more concerned with the AL East Division.
    If I had to guess those pig socks Kaep wore had nothing to do with inequality and racial injustice.

I googled this too from Kaep

"It was embarrassing to watch that these are our two candidates," Kaepernick told reporters Tuesday. "Both are proven liars and it almost seems like they're trying to debate who's less racist.

"And at this point ... you have to pick the lesser of two evils. But in the end, it's still evil."

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    edited September 2017

no they won't. ratings are down because the level of play sucks and why would i watch a game that the team i cheer for is not playing in when i can watch the NFL Red Zone and see every relevant play in every NFL game without commercials?

the NFL prints money. their annual revenues are at around $14 Billion per year.  the average team is worth $2 billion dollars according to Forbes.  As long as the big markets continue to support it there will be a minor push back at best.

Don't forget too that NFL games are most of the highest rated shows on TV each week.  they are dominate in the ratings.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    if ever Trump says "bad ratings", usually the inverse is true. that's something you can bank on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

um, no. if anything, this probably increased viewership. the NFL has already shown, from the owners and the commissioner, that they stand by their players, not President Cheeto. And no sponsor in their right mind is going to pull out of their deals with any teams because of this. the backlash would be swift and brutal. 
    pjhawks said:

no they won't. ratings are down because the level of play sucks and why would i watch a game that the team i cheer for is not playing in when i can watch the NFL Red Zone and see every relevant play in every NFL game without commercials?

the NFL prints money. their annual revenues are at around $14 Billion per year.  the average team is worth $2 billion dollars according to Forbes.  As long as the big markets continue to support it there will be a minor push back at best.

Don't forget too that NFL games are most of the highest rated shows on TV each week.  they are dominate in the ratings.
    In response to both of you, I have some very patriotic and right leaning friends and family and they are all turning off the NFL until the protests stop.  They aren't happy about it at all.  Some of them aren't speaking to me right now either...

So we shall see.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

In response to both of you, I have some very patriotic and right leaning friends and family and they are all turning off the NFL until the protests stop.  They aren't happy about it at all.  Some of them aren't speaking to me right now either...

So we shall see.
    Isn't that crazy?  I know a few people like that as well.  It's interesting how players shooting themselves & others in nightclubs, getting caught drunk driving, sending dick pics to female reporters, running underground dog fighting rings, knocking out their fiancees on video, murdering people, and going to prison wasn't enough for them to stop watching.  But they draw the line at peacefully kneeling during a song and a piece of cloth.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Truth^
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options

pjhawks said:

So we shall see.
    that's all well and good, but I just can't see that being the norm. the vast majority of big football fans aren't going to stop watching. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited September 2017
    Smellyman said:
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

Agreed. It's indoctrination, pure and simple. I think it's sick that kids are still made to do the pledge of allegiance, and even sicker that they even have to do it "under God". The kids have no idea what the meaning behind what they're saying is at a young age. Brainwashing.... and that is 100% the point. I personally had to do the Lord's prayer until it was abolished in public school sometime in the mid-80s... and I remember the two Jewish kids in the class having to physically leave the classroom and wait in the hall while the rest of us were forced to recite the fucking thing. And then the Jews were invited back into the classroom as we were all forced to sing the Canadian anthem as well (which also references God, which I don't support - I think the anthem needs to be changed to get rid of that reference... most don't agree of course). It was unbelievable, in retrospect.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203

pjhawks said:

So we shall see.

yea but their ratings are almost double what other tv ratings are. they dominate.  below are the top rated shows from the week of Sept. 11th. look at the NFL numbers compared to other shows.  3 of the top 5 shows and 6 of the top 10.  they could lose almost 8 million viewers and still have the top rated show. the fact is they are a TV behemoth. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2017-09-19/nielsens-top-programs-for-sept-11-17

By The Associated Press

Prime-time viewership numbers compiled by Nielsen for Sept. 11-17. Listings include the week's ranking and viewership.

1. NFL Football: Green Bay at Atlanta, NBC, 20.24 million.

2. "NFL Sunday Post-Game," Fox, 13.96 million.

3. "America's Got Talent" (Wednesday), NBC, 11.59 million.

4. "America's Got Talent" (Tuesday), NBC, 11.57 million.

5. NFL Football: New Orleans at Minnesota, ESPN, 11.4 million.

6. "Emmy Awards," CBS, 11.38 million.

7. "Sunday Night NFL Pre-Kick," NBC, 10.25 million.

8. NFL Football: L.A. Chargers at Denver, ESPN, 9.95 million.

9. NFL Football: Houston at Cincinnati, NFLN, 8.1 million.

10. "60 Minutes," CBS, 6.8 million.

11. "The Orville," Fox, 6.63 million.

12. "The Big Bang Theory," CBS, 6.43 million.

13. "Big Brother" (Wednesday), CBS, 6.39 million.

14. "Football Night in America, Part 3," NBC, 6.18 million.

15. "Big Brother" (Thursday), CBS, 6.132 million.

16. "American Ninja Warrior," NBC, 6.127 million.

17. "The Big Bang Theory" (Monday), CBS, 5.74 million.

18. "NCIS," CBS, 5.23 million.

19. College Football: Clemson at Louisville, ABC, 5.06 million.

20. "Mom," CBS, 4.98 million.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

Agreed. It's indoctrination, pure and simple. I think it's sick that kids are still made to do the pledge of allegiance, and even sicker that they even have to do it "under God". The kids have no idea what the meaning behind what they're saying is at a young age. Brainwashing.... and that is 100% the point. I personally had to do the Lord's prayer until it was abolished in public school sometime in the mid-80s... and I remember the two Jewish kids in the class having to physically leave the classroom and wait in the hall while the rest of us were forced to recite the fucking thing. And then the Jews were invited back into the classroom as we were all forced to sing the Canadian anthem as well (which also references God, which I don't support - I think the anthem needs to be changed to get rid of that reference... most don't agree of course). It was unbelievable, in retrospect.
    I've mentioned this before I think....there was a girl in my sister's class, can't remember her religion, jehova's maybe? she also had to wait in the hall. it fucking ostracized her socially. my grade 6 teacher used to read bible verses every fucking morning. I hated it. I knew even then that it was wrong to mix school and religion. 

same thing, as you said, goes for this "pledge" nonsense. it's nazi germany shit. but it's deemed ok because we're not extremists. 

god should be removed from all government documents and traditions. separation of church and state. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2017
    ^^^^ No doubt. I read about the Trump donations over the weekend, and I was like, "Wtf?? What a bunch of asshole hypocrites! Where the fuck have they all been for the past year since this all started?" ...... But now Trump's "shocked the conscience" of these dudes.... well, maybe better late than never in a way, but yeah, wtf are they kneeling for??? Couldn't be for the point Kaepernick has been kneeling for, which is STILL the major issue and problem that everyone has lost sight of.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^^^ No doubt. I read about the Trump donations over the weekend, and I was like, "Wtf?? What a bunch of asshole hypocrites! Where the fuck have they all been for the past year since this all started?" ...... But now Trump's "shocked the conscience" of these dudes.... well, maybe better late than never in a way, but yeah, wtf are they kneeling for??? Couldn't be for the point Kaepernick has been kneeling for, which is STILL the major issue and problem that everyone has lost sight of.
    They most likely gave to Hillary also.  They like to keep their bases covered.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Even more hypocritical. Makes me wonder how they sleep at night.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Even more hypocritical. Makes me wonder how they sleep at night.
    Like a baby $$$$$. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:

I've mentioned this before I think....there was a girl in my sister's class, can't remember her religion, jehova's maybe? she also had to wait in the hall. it fucking ostracized her socially. my grade 6 teacher used to read bible verses every fucking morning. I hated it. I knew even then that it was wrong to mix school and religion. 

same thing, as you said, goes for this "pledge" nonsense. it's nazi germany shit. but it's deemed ok because we're not extremists. 

god should be removed from all government documents and traditions. separation of church and state. 
    We are not forced to say the pledge. At least, I wasn't.

We learn it, just as we learn a lot of other bullshit that we do not use or do. But we are not forced to say it. 

I stopped saying it in third grade but still stood with my hand over my heart because I was small and shy at that time, and I cared about how other people would react. I stopped standing for it when I was in fourth grade. I was still small and shy, but I stopped giving a fuck about how other people would react.

Anyway, I think the schools are required to do it but not the students. I could be wrong. Maybe it's a state thing.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down