Options

The Confederacy - Erasing History

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mcgruff10 said: 
    jeffbr said:
    Why would cities put up statues of losing, treasonous, traitors anyway? I'm not from the South, and have no family in the South, so the concept is completely foreign to me. A hostile group took up arms against my country and got their asses kicked, and yet they still are allowed to memorialize their heroes in public places? Stick them in a private museum where others can go see them if they'd like, but honor them in town squares and city centers? Nope. I'm content to have them relegated to history books and Hollywood movies.
    I'm telling you, it's the only time in history that the losers were able to put up statues and fly their battle flag lol.  I seriously can't think of another example.
    When I lived in spain I don't recall seeing any statues of the moors.
    That was part of Lincoln's reconstruction plan. He didn't want to alienate the South. So they were allowed to do that shit. Worst decision he ever made.
    Well....2nd worst decision anyways
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    Why would cities put up statues of losing, treasonous, traitors anyway? I'm not from the South, and have no family in the South, so the concept is completely foreign to me. A hostile group took up arms against my country and got their asses kicked, and yet they still are allowed to memorialize their heroes in public places? Stick them in a private museum where others can go see them if they'd like, but honor them in town squares and city centers? Nope. I'm content to have them relegated to history books and Hollywood movies.
    I'm telling you, it's the only time in history that the losers were able to put up statues and fly their battle flag lol.  I seriously can't think of another example.
    How about this one??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Soldiers
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    jeffbr said:
    I touched on that earlier this morning. The vast majority of the confederate army did not own slaves and had no choice in the matter. They did not want a civil war, they did not want to lose their farms, houses, families to a cause they didnt even care about. But they were forced to. Labeled as traitors and treated as such if they didnt. There was no such thing as "conscientious objector" back then (referenced from a previous quote). You fought for your side or you were likely killed. 
    I'm glad the north won, but still saddened by the hundreds of thousands that lost their lives on both sides, many of them too young to join today's military.
    They didnt own slaves or big farms, they were forced to fight the rich man's war and had no say in the process. Their only fault was being born in the south. I think they deserve to be remembered.
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

That is absolutely asinine.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

how so? Its a statue and we lost the war
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    because they couldn't agree on the spelling. 

some thought it was the Moops. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    JC29856 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

C'mon.........
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    JC29856 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I thought this was really good:  https://sports.yahoo.com/charlottesville-native-chris-long-discusses-city-wont-stick-sports-203627846.html
    “If you say ‘It’s history and shouldn’t be destroyed,’ then put it in a museum where they can educate people about how far we’ve come, and the dangers of white supremacy and the Confederacy,” Long said. “Don’t put it in a public place, where people who might be offended by it have to walk by it every day.”

Driving through New Orleans there is a highway that cuts through a large cemetery.  On one side of the road is the black cemetery, and white on the other side.  The white side is spacious with giant beautiful maintained monuments, where the black side is run down and crowded.  I imagined what it must be like to commute to work and see that everyday as a black person living in a segregated city where the whites have giant spacious homes, and black neighborhoods are rundown and crowded.  That cemetery will serve as a more appropriate monument to our history than any statue of some loser confederate general will.
    Good post for sure. It got me thinking (collective cringe)
    So all this fuss over confederate statues, what is the message of tearing down these statues (or protest against the removal of )? That we wont tolerate/accept memorializing slavery? Im not an expert on the KKK or white supremacy groups, the ones that wanted to protest the removal of the statue in Charlottesville, do they advocate a return to slave ownership? Your post got me thinking about the black and white of war. That statue that was torn down is more of a war memorial than a symbol of slavery(or even hate). Do the protestors on either side think war is black and white? Any civil war historians in here? Was the civil war simply about the black and white issue of slavery? Were the confederates the only side in the wrong? Take it a step further are any wars black and white? Were the wars in Iraq/Afghan simply about avenging 911? Which side was in the wrong in those wars?
    Some of the answers may be found in history books hence the reason why I recommend to read a few. Imagine the line between the North and the South, like the road thru the segregated cemeteries, where literally neighbors were forced by allegiance to take arms and kill each other.
    Here's an idea tear down every offending statue but first educate yourself on its history and why it's there and try not to get caught up in the bastardization of it from some ideological fringe group.
    I did bring up the Stalin statue in Seattle but no one has touched that topic yet.
    We're also not in Russia. That's a key factor. 
    We aren't in Charlottesville either yet we are still having a conversation.
    That's still part of the US, I think. Since trump got elected, I'm in some bizzarro world where people draw parallels and equivilancies that are such an extreme reach in some attempt to make a point about hypocrisy (or something). 

What?!?

Extreme reach at what?

It's a statue of a foreign leader in the "US"...  

The statue bothers people, offends them...

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    So according to some, should we tear down the Crazy Horse statue in South Dakota, because, you know, the natives lost that war, why memorialize them?
    Winning or losing doesn't have anything to do with memorializing someone. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    So according to some, should we tear down the Crazy Horse statue in South Dakota, because, you know, the natives lost that war, why memorialize them?
    Winning or losing doesn't have anything to do with memorializing someone. 
    100% agree!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

False equivalence:  a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency

Why is that so difficult for some people to grasp?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think the most important factor in this debate is the behaviour of white supremacy groups and general racists in the South.
    There is absolutely ZERO question that they venerate and rally around symbols of the Confederacy.  These statues, to them, are monuments to martyrs of their cause.  They are a reminder and symbol of the hate they preach.  What other purpose do they serve?

If the statues are supposedly some bulwark against forgetting the past, they should be located with their counterparts in museums.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    It's funny, I was speaking with a hillbilly today who assured me that the Confederate flags which festoon every part of his pontoon boat "don't mean nothin'".
    Really dumbass?  Then why do you fly ten of them??

He went on to tell me that it was designed by a black man and "blacks are the real racists, we just honest wif 'em".

Doesn't fly the Stars and Stripes, but sure as shit flies a Trump flag.
  • Options

A timeline of the genesis of the Confederate sites shows two notable spikes. One comes around the turn of the 20th century, just after Plessy v. Ferguson, and just as many Southern states were establishing repressive race laws. The second runs from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s—the peak of the civil-rights movement. In other words, the erection of Confederate monuments has been a way to perform cultural resistance to black equality.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

False equivalence:  a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency

Why is that so difficult for some people to grasp?
    not sure but the phase is overused IMO

fal·la·cy
    noun: fallacy; a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I think the most important factor in this debate is the behaviour of white supremacy groups and general racists in the South.
    There is absolutely ZERO question that they venerate and rally around symbols of the Confederacy.  These statues, to them, are monuments to martyrs of their cause.  They are a reminder and symbol of the hate they preach.  What other purpose do they serve?

If the statues are supposedly some bulwark against forgetting the past, they should be located with their counterparts in museums.
    Agreed.

I have often heard it as "heritage" or "southern lifestyle".  That heritage and style have an ugly underlying though and some don't see it that way...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    CM189191 said:

A timeline of the genesis of the Confederate sites shows two notable spikes. One comes around the turn of the 20th century, just after Plessy v. Ferguson, and just as many Southern states were establishing repressive race laws. The second runs from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s—the peak of the civil-rights movement. In other words, the erection of Confederate monuments has been a way to perform cultural resistance to black equality.
    That brings up another important point.
    There is a ton of evidence that Confederates themselves moved on, many even with shame.
    They didn't cling to their failed rebellion and shout about the South rising again.  That came later, and continues to this day.  It had/has nothing to do with the war or the soldiers, it had/has everything to do with repudiation of...well, bluntly, the existence of black people.
    The Reconstruction era is very interesting, and the destruction of the Reconstruction as well.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    CM189191 said:

So you're telling me it's different than a statue of Lenin in Seattle?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

can u add 2016 and 2017 in this infographic?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    JC29856 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

"We"?
    "We lost the war"?
    Says a lot about you right there

• Options
    CM189191 said:

The statue in Charlottesville was erected in 1924 so this chart isn't technically representative of it.(Sic)

You are talking through a straw man...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Here's  someone who thinks the war is ongoing.....

Man in Confederate uniform confronted by Charlottesville residents 
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/us/charlottesville-lee-park-confrontation/index.html

(Wasn't sure if the article belonged on this thread or the Idiot Thread)
  • Options

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/us/charlottesville-lee-park-confrontation/index.html

no doubt who that guy voted for!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

I meant within the country lol. It s not like this is in Vietnam. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

JC's stretching so far you'd expect a few pulled muscles. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    How about this one??

you meant wars within the country? well no wonder you couldn't think of any more! :)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    CM189191 said:

The statue in Charlottesville was erected in 1924 so this chart isn't technically representative of it.(Sic)

You are talking through a straw man...
    I'm responding directly to your flawed point. Claiming since it's a statue that offends, it's the same thing that was in C'ville. 
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    CM189191 said:
    Here's a good litmus test: 
    if tearing down a particular statue, monument or memorial is going to piss off nazis and white supremacists
    you should probably consider removing it
    Simply stated.
  • Options

With my own two eyes I have seen "the south will rise again" banners and shirts from people whom think there is another war coming.

I have witnessed people talk just like the man in that interview and they really do believe that a civil war is going to happen.

This has been getting worse within the last couple of years.

It's not as uncommon as you'd think unfortunately.