Options

Pearl Jam's 1000th Performance?

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    JimmyV said:

Livefootsteps.org has them at 1007 shows...

http://www.livefootsteps.org/statistics/

Crazy...

Setlist.fm has them at 985 shows

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=artist:(Pearl+Jam)

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    I wonder if their true number of shows is even knowable anymore? I'm sure in the early days it might have been very catch as catch can. Who knows if a precise count even exists at this point?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    JimmyV said:

They count the tv shows as well,thats why
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

JimmyV said:

They count the tv shows as well,thats why
    Live footsteps also has the 2016 tour listed under "shows" already. That could be throwing off their algorithm as these shows haven't been played yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ok.... More math....

1) Live Footsteps has included the 2016 shows already giving us 1007 shows. Take the 23 unplayed shows away and we sit at 984 (includes tv appearances)

2) Setlists.fm lists only shows played to date and has them at 985 shows (includes tv appearances)

3) The single show discrepancy is in 1990. Setlist.fm has them playing a show at Parker's Tavern in Seattle on Dec 21 while live footsteps doesn't list this show as existing.

So...can anyone confirm the existence of the Parker's Tavern Show? If it exists then show 1000 will be Quebec City (which I'll be at!!!). If it doesn't exist show 1000 will be Ottawa (boooo!)

Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This from Two Feet Thick:

12/21/90 – New Melody Tavern: Seattle, WA (Mookie Blaylock)
    We’re unsure if Mookie Blaylock played at this “Seattle Musicians for the People” show or if it occurred. We have this poster and would like to hear from you if you have news about this show, which was a benefit for Toys for Tots, the food bank, etc. Many bands are listed to appear, including Alice in Chains, Luv Battery, Kristen Barry and Bathtub Gin.
    New info: Someone in the Seattle area who was at this show says that “just a couple of guys from the band” were there and that they “played a few songs acoustically.” It wasn’t well-attended.
    More new info: Someone else who drove to this show, despite a big snowfall, doesn’t think that either Mookie or AIC played due to the weather.

It appears that the Parker Tavern/New Melody Tavern show never took place. This means the Live Footsteps number is correct and show number 1000 will be in Ottawa.
  • Options
    Wait! Some serious discrepancies between Livefootsteps and Stat Tracker. One example is that Livefootsteps lists a show having taken place on October 15th 1991 in Washington DC BUT if you go to Two Feet Thick you'll find this:

"10/15/91 – Nightclub 9:30: Washington, DC
    support act: I Love You
    notes This show was originally scheduled as part of Pearl Jam’s headlining club tour with support act I Love You. It was later cancelled as the band left to join the RHCP tour in Madison, WI, following the previous night’s show at the Cat’s Cradle. A 1993 Goldmine article mentions that the 11/09/91 Tower Records show “compensat[ed] fans for the cancellation of a scheduled Pearl Jam show at the 9:30 club in Washington, D.C.” Fans who showed up on this night expecting to see the show found a handwrittern message on the front door announcing the cancellation."

The DC show never took place! Dammit! This is getting complicated!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ok....This is my last time...I swear! (Don't know if anyone even cares). I just cross referenced all shows between Livefootsteps/StatTracker/Two Feet Thick to come to a definitive number.

What was included: Any show/appearance where the whole band played. This includes concerts, tv/radio performances, in-store performances, and Pollution Radio

What wasn't included:solo and/or partial band performances i.e. livefootsteps had included Eddie singing with the Doors which is clearly NOT a PJ show.

When you do all the math the total number of shows played is once again 984 OR 985 depending on one single unverified show.

On December 11th 1991 it is confirmed that PJ played at Trees in Dallas. What is unconfirmed is whether they played earlier in the day as an opening act for the Smashing Pumpkins at the Bronco Bowl. Whether they played that show will once again determine if Quebec City or Ottawa is show number 1000.

Edit - This link seems to confirm it was played therefore 985 are in the books and Quebec City is 1000

http://pearljam.com/setlists/1006/1991/22204/bronco_bowl
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    I'm sorry but counting TV apperances as "Pearl Jam shows" is ridiculous. Playing one or two songs in a tv studio is not a show imo.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Dercheef said:

I'm sorry but counting TV apperances as "Pearl Jam shows" is ridiculous. Playing one or two songs in a tv studio is not a show imo.

These tv appearances are in front of studio audiences. The size of the crowd shouldn't determine whether it's a gig.

Either way...I don't really know if it is for me or anyone to not include these as shows. Eliminating them could make the hard count even harder to come up with.
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    BS44325 said:

Dercheef said:

These tv appearances are in front of studio audiences. The size of the crowd shouldn't determine whether it's a gig.

Either way...I don't really know if it is for me or anyone to not include these as shows. Eliminating them could make the hard count even harder to come up with.
    By that logic you could add every studio session they played with a couple of friends or family present as a show. Are the AOL sessions a show? Was the The Fixer videotaping at the showbox a show? For me a show is every headlining gig, every festival and every gig they opened for others a show.
    Honestly I would have never thought that anybody would think that a tv show taping constitutes as a Pearl Jam show.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Ohhhhhh shit this thread is taking off now! It's like one website = Manitowoc County PD and another = State of Wisconsin and another = Steven Avery
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    edited February 2016
    BS44325 said:

Ok....This is my last time...I swear! (Don't know if anyone even cares). I just cross referenced all shows between Livefootsteps/StatTracker/Two Feet Thick to come to a definitive number.

http://pearljam.com/setlists/1006/1991/22204/bronco_bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxH-7Xk7U

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238004/swear-to-me/p4
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Dercheef said:

BS44325 said:

Dercheef said:

By that logic you could add every studio session they played with a couple of friends or family present as a show. Are the AOL sessions a show? Was the The Fixer videotaping at the showbox a show? For me a show is every headlining gig, every festival and every gig they opened for others a show.
    Honestly I would have never thought that anybody would think that a tv show taping constitutes as a Pearl Jam show.
    Austin City Limits? The Late Show gigs? Those are clearly shows.

Some people on here are clearly missing the point. Show 1000 is coming on this tour. Maybe it matters maybe it doesn't. If you don't want to include Letterman/SNL/Conan/Fallon etc then be my guest and come up with the hard number of shows they have played. From my math Quebec City is 1000
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    a letterman or SNL taping is not a show... when they played the Ed Sullivan theater in 2006 after a late show taping, that was a show... storytellers is a show... acl is a show... conan is not a show
  • Options
    my2hands said:

a letterman or SNL taping is not a show... when they played the Ed Sullivan theater in 2006 after a late show taping, that was a show... storytellers is a show... acl is a show... conan is not a show

I think the people who got into those tapings would consider them to be shows. That being said if you don't like the use of the word "show" we can change it to "performance". Pearl Jam's 1000th Performance will be Quebec City.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I don't think the stat trackers include any private shows. There's been a few. Target, Microsoft in recent years.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
  • Options
    the band does not care about this and its impossible to track and know for sure
    they barely noticed denver last year...
  • Options
    CopperTom said:

I don't think the stat trackers include any private shows. There's been a few. Target, Microsoft in recent years.

Yeah. This is true. Is there an official list of those anywhere?
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    If Wrigley night 2 isn't show 1000, we riot.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    The #'s on the artwork for the Vault series are the show # the band considers to be a show. The Vic is show # 632 and it's from Aug 2, 2007. How hard is it to figure out of they're counting tv tapings? And then count all the shows after that date? :)
  • Options
    Vic was not show 632. Those are just numbers on road cases. Facts are good for you. Making crap up to fit a theory is not. They haven't played 300 shows since 2007, either.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    my2hands said:

I get what you're saying but I might've had more fun at Colbert than anything else
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    BS44325 said:

my2hands said:

I think the people who got into those tapings would consider them to be shows. That being said if you don't like the use of the word "show" we can change it to "performance". Pearl Jam's 1000th Performance will be Quebec City.
    If PJ played a set of songs after a Letterman taping I would consider that a show. If they played a single song for a TV taping.... I don't feel that's show. I'll count small sets for charities and what not. But a single song for a tv taping? I think it has to be a set of some kind to be a show. Even if it's a short set. Single song TV taping though... nah :)

I think it's all moot anyways. The records of their time before they were famous probably aren't 100% reliable so you'd never really know which show was #1000.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Zod said:

BS44325 said:

my2hands said:

If PJ played a set of songs after a Letterman taping I would consider that a show. If they played a single song for a TV taping.... I don't feel that's show. I'll count small sets for charities and what not. But a single song for a tv taping? I think it has to be a set of some kind to be a show. Even if it's a short set. Single song TV taping though... nah :)

I think it's all moot anyways. The records of their time before they were famous probably aren't 100% reliable so you'd never really know which show was #1000.
    Five Horizons was pretty accurate.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I wouldn't consider tv tapings as shows to count towards the total either. I would consider only full shows. but either way, I won't be at show 1000 unless it's in Winnipeg! :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    TV show appearances aren't Pearl Jam concerts, no matter how you try to twist it semantically. You wouldn't say you saw a Brad Pitt movie if you saw him on The Late Show.