Options

Audioholics: pimp out all your audio shit

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Noise canceling headphones are great for airplanes.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I know a lot of people use and swear by noise cancellers. They just don't agree with my inner ear. I will age myself, but I liken them to a tape with dolby switched off.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/audio/portable-audio/do-noise-cancelling-headphones-make-you-sick-230872
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Really? I would say the complete opposite.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's hard to accurately describe, but for me, it's more like tape hiss in your skull than the actual sound of tape hiss...crazy right? Whatever that cancelling noise that they add is just doesn't make me feel awesome.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    I never used the Dolby feature back in the day- while it eliminated tape hiss... it also seemed to mute the music.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

I know a lot of people use and swear by noise cancellers. They just don't agree with my inner ear. I will age myself, but I liken them to a tape with dolby switched off.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/audio/portable-audio/do-noise-cancelling-headphones-make-you-sick-230872

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I never used the Dolby feature back in the day- while it eliminated tape hiss... it also seemed to mute the music.

This.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    When this thread showed up in my list, the title was cut off and it literally showed up as follows:

"wow, just got some great head..." :))
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    honestly I use to think spending the extra money was ridiculous, but now I realize I was wrong, I am going to end up being a "sound junkie" too, lol
  • Options
    Dolby C was better, and Dolby S killed, but by that time it was WAY too late.
    I always, even now, switch it on. The "muting" of the music can easily be counteracted by copious amounts of volume.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    grado 325i's
  • Options
    Senn HD-598's
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    pjradio said:

Senn HD-598's

These look like they belong to Johnny Guitar Watson.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dogmattdogmatt Posts: 101

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

Another vote for these. Awesome headphones!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    pjradio said:

Senn HD-598's

These look like they belong to Johnny Guitar Watson.
    dogmatt said:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

Another vote for these. Awesome headphones!
    Been pimping these for years on here. Great cans!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Anyone tried to use the volume / track selection controller
    on the cable of the Sennheiser Momentum headphones with a PONO player??

photo sm_zps74a4335a.jpg

Just wondering if this feature has functionality with the PONO too!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2014

Jeff's bass and Matt's bass drum are so much more impactful, I am stunned how much better it sounds.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    I am changing the name to something more appropriate
  • Options
    everyone should benefit from this thread, I have already learned a lot of shit I did not know, and cannot wait to get some even better headphones
  • Options
    Yeah this is a great thread! If anyone can give recommendations for a pair of headphones for around $100-$125 or less that are worth the money to listen to vinyl and cds??
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options

Yeah this is a great thread! If anyone can give recommendations for a pair of headphones for around $100-$125 or less that are worth the money to listen to vinyl and cds??

these ones the mentioned earlier in the thread Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones are as low as 124.90 up to the 175 range on Ebay and Amazon, they got a couple endorsements, maybe someone knows something better for the price you are looking for
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    those Senn HD-280's are awesome to start with...sub $100
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    I know they are looked down upon...but if were going to be talking about ALL our audio shizzy (per Hanks approval of course...)...I wanted to bring up my home stereo's CD player.

I use a this a Pioneer Elite DV-37. It dates back to the year 2000, and it's an completely over engineered beast of a machine, it probably weighs 15 pounds. It retailed for $1000 15 years ago (I spent all of 35 dollars on mine at a Salvation Army...the remote cost me more than that when I eventually found it on the auction site...) The transport on this machine is virtually silent, it hooks up to my home theater amp using both analog RCAs or an optical digital connection. At this point I use it only to play CDs, although I could create and play DVD's from hi bitrate files with true 24 bit 96 kHz PCM Output, as well. I never thought it was possible either, but the difference between a high end CD player and that noisy $14.99 Aiwa discman or computer CD-ROM that made everyone of us hate CDs in the first place is like night and day.

This Pioneer machine sounds ridiculous, and has made those 2 dollar used CD's that I used to turn my nose up at record stores and thrift stores completely impossible to pass up. It actually involves me in listening in a way that only vinyl used to.
  • Options
    These are my studio headphones I use for all of my recording work as well as the occasional chill out listening session:

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HTX7-K1?sc_mc=sem_google_cov_headphones-brand_model_04242014_headphones
  • Options

I know they are looked down upon...but if were going to be talking about ALL our audio shizzy (per Hanks approval of course...)...I wanted to bring up my home stereo's CD player.

I use a this a Pioneer Elite DV-37. It dates back to the year 2000, and it's an completely over engineered beast of a machine, it probably weighs 15 pounds. It retailed for $1000 15 years ago (I spent all of 35 dollars on mine at a Salvation Army...the remote cost me more than that when I eventually found it on the auction site...) The transport on this machine is virtually silent, it hooks up to my home theater amp using both analog RCAs or an optical digital connection. At this point I use it only to play CDs, although I could create and play DVD's from hi bitrate files with true 24 bit 96 kHz PCM Output, as well. I never thought it was possible either, but the difference between a high end CD player and that noisy $14.99 Aiwa discman or computer CD-ROM that made everyone of us hate CDs in the first place is like night and day.

This Pioneer machine sounds ridiculous, and has made those 2 dollar used CD's that I used to turn my nose up at record stores and thrift stores completely impossible to pass up. It actually involves me in listening in a way that only vinyl used to.

not frowned upon, anything that will let us have a better audio experience listening to pearl jam is welcomed
  • Options

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Closed-Back...could possibly be the best 100 dollars you'll ever spend on headphones, especially if you're listening to smaller sized mp3s on your phone or ipod or files streamed over the internet.
    Don't get me wrong, vinyl or tape ( I like tape....) or a properly amplified high end CD player or....wait for it...wait for it...hi-bit rate FLAC are gonna sound pretty amazing too, The problem is, the more you listen, the more you'll end up spending.

I have those, they're good, but really flat, I use them with a headphone amp for better tones. With the amp flac HDs sound phenomenal!
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    Anyone got audio from the Who's 50th anni show last week?
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I hace a couple of 32w speakers, Thonnet & Vander, those made of wood and kevlar... How am I doing?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited November 2014

tiki / Lolo...I've read some reviews that the music leaks out on some Sennheiser's (others around you can hear your music) do you guys have any issues?

I had a pair of 200 dollar open back Senns 7 or eight years ago and they were pretty fine. with the open backs you get a different type of sound, it's more open and spread out, some would say its better quality, including everyone around you. If you're listening loud (and who isn't?) your head becomes a giant trebely speaker. closed backs work much better on an airplane, or the subway. Open backs are great for your living room, plugged into your real amplifier, partaking with Hank perhaps.

Just my opinion but I'm not a huge fan of the noise cancelling headphones,

Lolo we gotta hang. I've got some big assed ears myself.
    Def, man.
    Seems like we have a lot of the same opinions/experiences/tastes too.
    maybe you/I am your doppelganger :))

next tour def... we are building our own version of the preparty around here

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore