Options

The Tragically Hip official Thread 2009******

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    scored a row 2 and a row 5 Main Floor Left side.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    First of all, I am officially posting in this thread waaaaay too much, but I'm excited dammit.

Secondly, through sheer luck, I pulled up two seats right beside my single seat in the 5th row. SOOOOOO, if anybody from seattle wants a great seat for face value to the Hip @ The Moore Theatre June 17th. Talk to your man restless, aight?

I will be sitting with my girlfriend in the 5th row and YOU.

ALSO, I have a single seat for the second row available. Face Value.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    First of all, I am officially posting in this thread waaaaay too much, but I'm excited dammit.

Secondly, through sheer luck, I pulled up two seats right beside my single seat in the 5th row. SOOOOOO, if anybody from seattle wants a great seat for face value to the Hip @ The Moore Theatre June 17th. Talk to your man restless, aight?

If i end up going i will take it off you.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    mattseattleusamattseattleusa North Idaho, USA Posts: 346

Restless - PM sent!
    I will not lose my Faith, it's an Inside job today....
  • Options
    Seeing Tragically Hip for the 1st time at Cleveland House of Blues May 31st. Can't wait!

Whoever is seeing them at Massey Hall in Toronto - I'm green with envy! :mrgreen: That will be sick. Fantastic band in a fantastic venue
    ...And he who forgets will be destined to remember.

...I swear I never took it for granted. Just thought of it now.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    one of my best buddies just got a job in management at the newly opened Boston House of Blues (former Avalon/ Axis club)...

what do you think I will be hitting him up for on May 9th???

BTW.. I hate GA venues..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    I've seen this group my share of times over the years starting with Another Roadside Attraction, Markham Fairgrounds in support of Day for Night.

Actually had them filed under the "been there done that" file...that was until today.

Tickets go onsale Friday for their show in my hometown, Wiarton ON on June 27th. Holy Shit. Who would have thought?

A town of 2200 best known for our rodent Wiarton Willie will be hosting The Tragically Hip and of course I'm going! Just to have the tour shirt with this stop is reason enough for me to go. Other than Charlie Pride and good ol' Stompin Tom, this will be the biggest show Wiarton has ever seen.

These guys continue to amaze me!
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• Options
    that is awesome! put a smile on my face. yay, wiarton. i hope there is a big turnout.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    how long do the hip usually play for
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

usually 20-25 songs but this is a "two set affair" so I would expect 30-35 and maybe even a short acoustic set.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Ariel007Ariel007 Posts: 150
    I've seen them a lot over the yrs, big and tiny venues, always a great show. I've got my tix to see them in London this summer, happy about that even if it is a festival type thing.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

usually 20-25 songs but this is a "two set affair" so I would expect 30-35 and maybe even a short acoustic set.
    wow thats gonna be really cool. also i love there website alot.

• Options
    I actually went to the Nokia Theater today and bought my ticket for the NY show :) $35 straight up. No bullshit $15 in fees. :)
  • Options
    I actually went to the Nokia Theater today and bought my ticket for the NY show :) $35 straight up. No bullshit $15 in fees. :)

Thats fucking garbage, the Canadian shows were 89.50 plus service charges, came 107.35, all 3 shows cost me 335.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options

Thats fucking garbage, the Canadian shows were 89.50 plus service charges, came 107.35, all 3 shows cost me 335.

Yeah those service charges are such complete bullshit. It seems like they're getting higher and higher
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    one of my best buddies just got a job in management at the newly opened Boston House of Blues (former Avalon/ Axis club)...

what do you think I will be hitting him up for on May 9th???

BTW.. I hate GA venues..
    its the hip im sure there isnt gonna be moshing like other GA concerts

• Options

Yeah those service charges are such complete bullshit. It seems like they're getting higher and higher

Its unreal, last year I saw Raconteurs, it was a 25 dollar ticket came to 37.50, doesn't sound like much but when you think about it a 12.50 service charge on a 25 dollar ticket is 50% of the fucking ticket price! What the fuck?!?!

Seriously I don't mind shelling out for the Hip here because I know Canada is their bread and butter and you got to cash in where you can but 89.50? Come on guys!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,086
    edited June 2009
    To all my American friends out there, take a listen to Canada's equivalent of Pearl Jam, the Tragically Hip.....u will not b disappointed!!! Catch them live, on tour now!!!!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,084
    Please don't say Tragically Hip is equivalent to Pearl Jam! They are NOTHING live compared to Pearl Jam, and don't even come CLOSE to their studio works.
  • Options
    try putting this band in the other music forum where it belongs, if you can call it music.
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    demetrios wrote:
    Please don't say Tragically Hip is equivalent to Pearl Jam! They are NOTHING live compared to Pearl Jam, and don't even come CLOSE to their studio works.
    Agreed. The opposite happened for me with the Hip as what happened with Pearl Jam: with PJ, I liked them at first, and seeing them live was a big time eye-opener, I LOVED the show. I saw the Hip last week at Massey Hall, with 7th row tickets, and was incredibly disappointed. I thought they were mediocre at best. And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    demetrios wrote:
    The Hip are a GREAT live band. They aren't in the same category as Pearl Jam, but no one is :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    benjs wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Agreed. The opposite happened for me with the Hip as what happened with Pearl Jam: with PJ, I liked them at first, and seeing them live was a big time eye-opener, I LOVED the show. I saw the Hip last week at Massey Hall, with 7th row tickets, and was incredibly disappointed. I thought they were mediocre at best. And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:

Ya I heard those shows were shit. This may be the first time they've gotten bad reviews as far back as I can remember.
    I did see them at the Phoenix last year though and it was pretty darn good.
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Whoa - the hip certainly rivals PJ live. Gords improv far outdoes Eddie, and the band is tight. [PJ is still my favourite band, but for someone to say the Hip is boring - were you asleep? Gord and Bobby Baker are incredible.

The Massey Hall setlists weren't as varied as they could have been but they did alright - Tuesday the 12th was the highlight.
  • Options
    Well, I'm going to TWO hip shows here in Winnipeg. I love them almost as much as PJ! I'm hoping they will be better in a smaller venue like the concert hall.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Where do i start with this band. Someone tell me some albums!
  • Options
    Just listen to Yer Favorites, the greatest hits album.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    gibbits wrote:
    Whoa - the hip certainly rivals PJ live. Gords improv far outdoes Eddie, and the band is tight. [PJ is still my favourite band, but for someone to say the Hip is boring - were you asleep? Gord and Bobby Baker are incredible.

The Massey Hall setlists weren't as varied as they could have been but they did alright - Tuesday the 12th was the highlight.
    I found Gord's stage antics very strange... I'm sorry, but having a sweating problem does not justify using a rag as a prop, wiping your sweat constantly, and throwing it into the crowd. If Eddie threw a sweaty rag at me - I'd probably throw it back. That's just gross. Also, I did find the band's playing uninspired. I was off a bit to the side, so didn't see as much of the bassist, but the drums were very weak, and the guitar was soulless.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    benjs wrote:
    And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:
    I saw them twice in Kitchener at the end of April and both nights the crowd left me VERY disappointed. I was second row for one of the shows and the entire first two rows with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 people were SITTING DOWN for the entire show! Not even "Grace, too" got them out of their seats. It was pathetic, especially if you are used to Pearl Jam crowds! :)

As for the comments about the Massey Hall shows ~ I read a statistic about how much they varied up the setlists and they varied them much more than even Pearl Jam do. That is what impressed me most about the 2 Kitchener shows I saw (and the setlist to the one I missed). Only 4 or 5 of the 24 or so songs the second show were repeats from the first.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    maynardsux wrote:
    To all my American friends out there, take a listen to Canada's equivalent of Pearl Jam, the Tragically Hip.....u will not b disappointed!!! Catch them live, on tour now!!!!!

welcome to the boards. This really belongs in the other music board. But since you're a noob I guess you can have a free pass.

Anyway I saw the hip at nokia theater and really liked them.