Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,725
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Sin killer - larry mcmurtry
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I finally read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Everyone kept telling me to read it - I don't know why it took so long. It's beautiful. So beautiful I wrote a blog post about it. (About it and other books we have sitting on our shelves we keep meaning to read.)

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2014/10/that-book-sitting-on-your-shelf_26.html
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Aaargh - I forgot that was being released end of October! I'm kicking myself now, but will download it on my trusty kindle immediately and get on it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

I finally read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Everyone kept telling me to read it - I don't know why it took so long. It's beautiful. So beautiful I wrote a blog post about it. (About it and other books we have sitting on our shelves we keep meaning to read.)

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2014/10/that-book-sitting-on-your-shelf_26.html

Yes, there's a wonderful satisfaction to it, when everything ties up at the end. I have read it two or three times but not in years, so that will come off my shelf again soon.
  • Options
    And third post in a row for me - currently reading William Gibson's new one, just released - The Peripheral. Been a fan since Neuromancer came out.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,725
    Enkidu said:

Got on am Irving kick and read them all a few years back. The rare author that my wife and I both love.
  • Options
    Our band could be your life - michael azerrad
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    "So Anyway", John Cleese's autobiography (or at least, his first autobiography - he has made it clear he is writing another volume, as this one apparently ends just as the Pythons get going). I got a signed copy last night when I went to a reading/interview with Cleese. He's doing a brief US tour prior to his UK tour, so some of you might get a chance to catch him, too. Amusing but not hysterical so far.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,630
    Howl and Other poems by Allen Ginsberg
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,587

there's some great stuff in there.......along with a whole bunch of shitty bands!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Russo is one of my all time favorite authors. Bridge of Sighs is a bit more challenging than most of his others.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

only a couple of chapters in, but.......wow. powerful.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ^^^ One of my favorite books. It's really hard for me to pass up a dog book.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    imalive said:

only a couple of chapters in, but.......wow. powerful.

Very good book. Intense. The author lives nearby and offers memoir-writing classes. I would love to try this sometime, but my schedule never seems to work out for it to happen.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Just got done with Game of Thrones book 5. Moving onto Dune.

Fantasy books about great houses fighting with both brute and brain in feudal times.

After this I want to read "In the Kingdom of Ice" which is the true account of a failed expedition to the article circle in the 1800's
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I finished The Adventures of Cavalier & Clay a few weeks back and have just started Shantaram.
    I've read about 150 pages and love it so far.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

I finished The Adventures of Cavalier & Clay.

Looks great, added to my list.

Just started this but I dont know about reading cover to cover. Looks like a sweet 'browser' while I get into something else. Cannot read a book this size in bed before I conk out at night...if I drop it on my face as I doze off it will leave a mark. If I let us fall to the floor it could ruin the beautiful art inside its pages...and there is no room for it on my nightstand.
    :))

Pretty amazing piece of work!
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012

I finished The Adventures of Cavalier & Clay a few weeks back and have just started Shantaram.
    I've read about 150 pages and love it so far.

Both are great reads!!!
    I just started The Drop by Dennis Lehane, which was recommended by one of my best friends.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'm reading Jane Eyre right now. So depressing.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Just finished The Kite Runner. One of my favorites...so heart warming and gut wrenching at the same time.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Just started "The Billionaire Wins The Game" on my kindle...my first kindle book...I was so excited when I DLed it last night, I know I'm a dork! lol
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

Just started "The Billionaire Wins The Game" on my kindle...my first kindle book...I was so excited when I DLed it last night, I know I'm a dork! lol

I completely share your kindle enthusiasm.

I just finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. A great book about what life might be like if a pandemic wipes out about 99% of the population; despite that, it's not gory or graphic, as most of the action happens years later. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,630
    Inherent vice by Thomas Pynchon..one of my fav writers
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters after hearing about it on the NPR book concierge program.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Well, The Bachelor Wins The Game was good, The Bachelor's Dance was the next in the series and was OK, it was almost a carbon copy of the first....up until the end then it had a bit of a different ending...now I'll read the rest of the series anyway because I'm invested....lol but I have to wait til I can get it from the prime library next month sooooo...

I just started "Rest For The Wicked" by Cate Dean...it's a supernatural/fantasy type book, not a romance novel, so it's from my favorite genre...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I love Nick Hornby.

photo 3655e2c7-9b7e-4452-86ca-d44a1c3c0698_zps2bb4bef9.jpg
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,548
    Anchorboy - Jay Onrait
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Just read this on the plane to LA....loved it.

And most of this on the way back....slow at times but some of his stories are touching and others are about touching. I love Bob Saget.
  • Options
    imalive said:

there's some great stuff in there.......along with a whole bunch of shitty bands!

yep.

under the tuscan sun - frances mayes

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say