Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2015/02/03/breaking-news-harper-lee-to-publish-a-second-novel/

You could hear the audible gasps at the Southern Living offices this morning when we saw the Tweet:

This, of course, is major. Lee is legendary for having published the Pulitzer Prize-winning “To Kill a Mockingbird” in 1960, and never publishing another book. Until now. The novel, called “Go Set a Watchman,” was written in the 1950s and is a sequel to “To Kill a Mockingbird.” According to her publisher, the 304-page book will be released July 14 and will reveal Scout’s life as an adult woman. It is set in Maycomb, Alabama, during the 1950s.

In the meantime, for more on Lee, read our guide to her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama, and learn about our July 2014 Sip & Flip Book: “Spend A Day With Harper Lee.”

We get to learn what happened to Scout. It’s going to take a minute to let this news sink in. Who is joining us in counting down to July 14?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    the-widows-house-by-daniel-abraham.jpg
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2015/02/03/breaking-news-harper-lee-to-publish-a-second-novel/

You could hear the audible gasps at the Southern Living offices this morning when we saw the Tweet:

This, of course, is major. Lee is legendary for having published the Pulitzer Prize-winning “To Kill a Mockingbird” in 1960, and never publishing another book. Until now. The novel, called “Go Set a Watchman,” was written in the 1950s and is a sequel to “To Kill a Mockingbird.” According to her publisher, the 304-page book will be released July 14 and will reveal Scout’s life as an adult woman. It is set in Maycomb, Alabama, during the 1950s.

In the meantime, for more on Lee, read our guide to her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama, and learn about our July 2014 Sip & Flip Book: “Spend A Day With Harper Lee.”

We get to learn what happened to Scout. It’s going to take a minute to let this news sink in. Who is joining us in counting down to July 14?

Very interesting, look forward to reading!
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,495
    Just finished Inside Camp X by Lynn-Philip Hodgson (an interesting companion to A Man Called Intrepid), about to start a collection of Gustav Dore illustrations.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Wow.

I wonder if it can live up to the hype it will certainly get. And I also wonder why it was never published until now.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Can't wait for the "new" Harper Lee.

I just finished this and it's amazing. Really really good.

dca707e4-44dd-48c0-9143-ea402dd5821f_zpsafoobgf0.jpg

I mentioned Funny Girl by Nick Hornby before in this thread and it's finally out in the U.S. I thought it was so fabulous I did a little blog post about it.

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/02/nick-hornby-i-love-you.html
  • Options
    ^^ Went to add to Wishlist and it said this item was already in Wishlist. :)

I wish I liked Nick Hornby as much as everyone else. I liked Fever Pitch. I love Fallon but that movie ruined the hell out of the book. I read High Fidelity (another movie that I felt hit way below the mark, although I also love Jack Black) and thought that was OK. Haven t enjoyed the few others I tried. Glad you love him and laughed at your blog post.
  • Options
    Just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir which I really enjoyed. I've just placed library holds on "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which I've surprisingly have never read before, as well as "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Finished the Gustav Dore book, now on to Prince Edward Island: An Illustrated History by Douglas Baldwin. So far it's a relatively light look at the history of one of Canada's gems.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,671
    on the recommendation of Enkidu:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    If anyone knows the comedian Rob Delaney, I just finished his book, 'Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.' It's not only hilarious, but really introspective and written very well. Super quick and enjoyable read, I recommend it!

Also finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed recently. I didn't always love her writing style, but the story is absolutely captivating and pretty remarkable, which makes up for that. I really liked it. Hopefully the movie is just as good!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,788
    The last days of Immanuel Kant by Thomas de Quincey
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Sea of monsters
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    The Penguin Book of Norse Myths, Gods of the Vikings by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Time to see how much Marvel comics got right, lol.

• Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    American interior - Gruff Rhys( guy from super furry animals, searching for a lost welsh tribe in mid America)
    Perception deception - David Icke
    The heart of everything that is(untold story of red cloud) - Bob Drury & Tom Calvin
    The millennium trilogy - Stieg Larsson
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Just started "Girl In A Band," by Kim Gordon. I've been waiting for this to come out, and I hope it doesn't disappoint.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

Just started "Girl In A Band," by Kim Gordon. I've been waiting for this to come out, and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

i hope this translate in greeks..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    After almost 41 years of identifying as Christian, I finally decided to read the Bible cover to cover.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Just read this...had never read any of the "Fables" work, thought it was a fun/quick read.

On to this anthology -- loved the first 2 stories...Joe Abercrombie and Gillian Flynn. I like almost every author in this and short stories are fun to read and they seem like they are fun for the authors to write. (And each of these stories is about....a Rogue...so that makes it fun in and of itself.)

• Options
    The Finkler question by Howard Jacobson
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,671
    SD48277 said:

you're probably hoping for a bunch of degenerativeness, huh? I'm looking forward to Chrissie Hynde's memoir. not a fan of Sonic Youth, so I'm passing on that one.

I just finished this....it really pissed me off...H2TM sent it to me:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited March 2015
    Bernard Cornwell's 'the Empty Throne'
    http://www.bernardcornwell.net/books/the-empty-throne-3/
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,489
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I did this author event in Sacramento over the weekend and just wrote a blog post about 3 writers I got to know. One wrote a novel, A Small Indiscretion, one wrote a book of stories and essays, The Mexican Man in his Backyard, and the other wrote a memoir, Kaufman's Hill.

For more info, here's the blog: http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/03/looking-for-book-to-read.html

I'm reading Pandora's Lunchbox about processed food. It's very upsetting. Good, but... yuck. What are we eating?
  • Options
    I have read these all and most of Cornwell's stuff and love it. (Actually I think I have the most recent one of this series in my pile still to read...)
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

I did this author event in Sacramento over the weekend and just wrote a blog post about 3 writers I got to know. One wrote a novel, A Small Indiscretion, one wrote a book of stories and essays, The Mexican Man in his Backyard, and the other wrote a memoir, Kaufman's Hill.

For more info, here's the blog: http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/03/looking-for-book-to-read.html

I'm reading Pandora's Lunchbox about processed food. It's very upsetting. Good, but... yuck. What are we eating?

Another book to shovel dirt onto our diets. I find them fascinating/revolting at the same time. Will have to check it out, thanks.
  • Options

Just read this...had never read any of the "Fables" work, thought it was a fun/quick read.

On to this anthology -- loved the first 2 stories...Joe Abercrombie and Gillian Flynn. I like almost every author in this and short stories are fun to read and they seem like they are fun for the authors to write. (And each of these stories is about....a Rogue...so that makes it fun in and of itself.)

Just picked up Rogues at your suggestion. First two are good, I agree.

And also just registered for WorldCon (i.e. "Sasquan") in Spokane in August. Should be fun, and weird.
  • Options

And also just registered for WorldCon (i.e. "Sasquan") in Spokane in August. Should be fun, and weird.
    Awesome, I have never been to one of these cons but think it would be totally fun and weird. A buddy when I lived in LA used to go to San Diego every year for the big one and he loved it. Too whacky for me I think but one of the smaller ones would be very cool. I stalled out in the third story but am traveling on the road all week next week to CA so I know I will get some good reading time! (I love Pat Rothfuss, GRRM, Scott Lynch, Neil Gaiman and the others...how can we go wrong here?)
  • Options

Awesome, I have never been to one of these cons but think it would be totally fun and weird. A buddy when I lived in LA used to go to San Diego every year for the big one and he loved it. Too whacky for me I think but one of the smaller ones would be very cool. I stalled out in the third story but am traveling on the road all week next week to CA so I know I will get some good reading time! (I love Pat Rothfuss, GRRM, Scott Lynch, Neil Gaiman and the others...how can we go wrong here?)
    Ah, Rothfuss and Lynch. If only they would write more than, say, one book a decade!
  • Options
    Once again, ''The wheel of time'' by Carlos Castaneda
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.