Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Just read this on the plane to LA....loved it.

This is next on my list. Has been for a minute tho

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    The man called Noon.
    Louis L'Amour
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    The King ~Tiffany Reisz
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Just downloaded to my kindle The New Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (English translation). Book 5 in a series by a fabulous Russian author. It started with The Night Watch, which some might have seen when it was made into a (terrible) movie. I had not realized there was a fifth book, as the fourth book was seemingly-definitively called The Last Watch.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Just Add Water by Jinx Schwartz...first in a series...my mom loaned it to me on the kindle...very cool that you can share books....hehe
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    The Wild Truth.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Just finished Proust's Swann's Way. Tried to read an earlier translation but found it tedious. There is a new translation by Lydia Davis that is excellent. Great reading.
    Hold On
  • Options
    Just starting Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I don't think I enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane like some of you but the writing was good enough and story entertaining enough to make me want to read more.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Just starting Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I don't think I enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane like some of you but the writing was good enough and story entertaining enough to make me want to read more.
    Was it your first Gaiman? If so, indeed you should keep reading.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    About halfway through The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. Very intriguing so far.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Yes, "Ocean..." was my first. Finished Anansi Boys and liked it. Any suggestion for what I should read next?

We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Yes, "Ocean..." was my first. Finished Anansi Boys and liked it. Any suggestion for what I should read next?

I'd recommend going on to American Gods next, since you just read Anansi Boys. Neverwhere is also good; I understand there are two versions, the "mass market" version and Gaiman's "preferred version", which is longer. I think I read the shorter one since I read it before the other was released, but will go back to it at some point.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,789

I'd recommend going on to American Gods next, since you just read Anansi Boys. Neverwhere is also good; I understand there are two versions, the "mass market" version and Gaiman's "preferred version", which is longer. I think I read the shorter one since I read it before the other was released, but will go back to it at some point.

American gods should be next..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Xmas present...'Human Universe' by Brian cox and Andrew Cohen ..a personal take on the past, present and future of humanity- from the birth of the universe to the ultimate fate of our species... Fascinating read......
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Are You Dreaming ? Exploring lucid dreams a comprehensive guide

By Daniel love
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    How is Matterhorn?

Anyone tweet to #Fridayreads?

Anyone doing the 2015 #52BookChallenge?

In 2012 I finished 48 books. I look forward to trying again.

I'm reading "Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes," by Maria Konnikova
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote: »
    How is Matterhorn?

I had never considered an official challenge. I just read whenever I have time to. Do you do the whole bit with posting what you read with reviews, etc?

Perhaps I'll consider it this year.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    How is Matterhorn?

Matterhorn is amazing. I'm reading Mrs. Jesus by Dan O'Shannon.

I read 104 books in 2013 - I was determined to break 100. But it was exhausting. This year I'll hit 58.

What's the 2015 #52BookChallenge?
  • Options
    #52BookChallenge is reading 52 books within a year. Enkidu, maybe you would want your challenge to be a 58 book challenge.

With the #52BookChallenge hash tag I would post about my progress on Twitter, and I would post reviews on Goodreads. It's not a requirement. The only goal is to read 52 books in 2015.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,977
    #52BookChallenge is reading 52 books within a year. Enkidu, maybe you would want your challenge to be a 58 book challenge.

With the #52BookChallenge hash tag I would post about my progress on Twitter, and I would post reviews on Goodreads. It's not a requirement. The only goal is to read 52 books in 2015.

OMG- to have enough time to work in 52 books a year! I've been keeping a record of my reading since 1979 and my tops so far in a year is 42.

Right now I'm reading Ojibwa Warrior, the autobiography of Dennis Banks, the American Indian who help form the American Indian Movement. What a true and great American Hero and what an absolutely absorbing and inspiring book! Surely to be one of my top favorite reads!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

I like a challenge especially because I've put reading aside for the past couple of years. I think this is a great way to start the year!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    I think i'm gonna re read The Hobbit next. Haven't read it in a long time and after seeing the movies I kinda want to see what they left out and or added in the movies.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    How is Matterhorn?

Matterhorn is amazing / heartbreaking / wow.....one of those books that I wish I could erase my mind on and read again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Had previously read the standard versions on these but really enjoyed spending a few hours readintg the graphic novel representations....great stuff!

51t3ZoRpTBL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-50,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg
    51qzdiEguyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just started this:
    81%2BuJT-MG3L.jpg

Was given 30+ books over the holidays. My 'to-read pile' was already outrageously long but what a great problem to have!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Reading 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed and it really is living up to its hype so far. Fantastic read.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    30+ books! Ah, just thinking about those wonderful gifts almost makes me swoon with joy.

How many of you have walked around bookstores and became sad when you realized you didn't have enough time to read all of those books? I was sad once or twice.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,789
    30+ books! Ah, just thinking about those wonderful gifts almost makes me swoon with joy.

How many of you have walked around bookstores and became sad when you realized you didn't have enough time to read all of those books? I was sad once or twice.

i feel that everytime i enter a bookstore..to much knowledge out there.. :(
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

I make an entry on my Amazon wish list every time I note a book I would like to read. (Many have been added from this thread and suggestions of others) I buy some throughout the year out of a compulsive need to buy books even though I have a big pile to read and then my family all picks books from my list for Christmas/Birthday gifts. My favorite thing about Amazon and this is sure to mean that by the time I retire I will be about 500 books behind....which is such an awesome thought to have.

This, btw, is my own personal idea of hell. Saw it as a kid and even then I would dream of reading books for a portion of every afternoon as a retired guy. Bet there are others here who recall this piece and the ultimate horror it made poor Henry Beebus realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA&feature=player_detailpage
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Dune