Options

Gun Laws in America

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    jeffbr wrote:
    I'm not interested in statistics from other countries, because it isn't just the guns that lead to violent crime rates. There is something cultural.

We also know that it will be impossible to ban all guns, so while I agree that if all guns were eradicated violent crimes would decrease, it isn't realistic. What I do know is that every time a city passes a handgun restriction violent crime rates increase.

Cultural or not..if there aren't guns...no gun violence..and tell me why its impossible to ban all guns???? Again..turn them in or face year in jail...it would work...in few years garanteed our crime rate would go down.

I don't disagree we have a cultural problem (good point) ....course I think guns are a contributor to this cultural problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I think the major problem with gun control laws is that they regulate law-abiding people and don't touch the ones who use guns to commit crimes.

Most gun control laws don't regulate the black market in guns. Criminals who use guns to commit crimes aren't going to K-Mart or gun shows -- they're buying them out of the trunks of cars. And most violent crime committed with guns isn't committed with assault weapons; it's committed with fairly regular guns that get modified (pretty easily, it seems) to be more lethal.

So a ban on guns wouldn't really work, unless you banned the manufacture of guns. And I can't see that happening.
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    personally I hate guns. They are intended for one purpose. To Kill. I would like to see extremely tough gun laws. much tougher then the ones already in place. and an all out ban on assault weapons like machine guns.

the second amendment right is as outdated as catholic priests not being allowed to marry. we shouldnt have the right to bear arms. it should be a privilege to those who qualify.

This is why we need organizations like the NRA to help protect us from these radical ideas. They might be on the extreme other side of the spectrum, but if they give up just an inch those antis will try and take a mile.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    awsome!
    ...we have them monthly in Houston...once they had a Corvette show next to a gun show at our huge convention center.......and I was freaking out seeing the folks and their prized munitions coming and going from venue...it was indeed scary. Needless to say...I stoped giving folks the finger as I drove. (-;

Saw a bumper sticker this morning coming to work..."You never saw the US flag burned at a gun convention"
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Hope&Anger wrote:
    I think the major problem with gun control laws is that they regulate law-abiding people and don't touch the ones who use guns to commit crimes.

Most gun control laws don't regulate the black market in guns. Criminals who use guns to commit crimes aren't going to K-Mart or gun shows -- they're buying them out of the trunks of cars. And most violent crime committed with guns isn't committed with assault weapons; it's committed with fairly regular guns that get modified (pretty easily, it seems) to be more lethal.

So a ban on guns wouldn't really work, unless you banned the manufacture of guns. And I can't see that happening.

I have yet to hear someone recommend banning all guns in this thread
  • Options
    This is why we need organizations like the NRA to help protect us from these radical ideas. They might be on the extreme other side of the spectrum, but if they give up just an inch those antis will try and take a mile.

trying to keep the streets safer is a radical idea? I guess im radical.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I have yet to hear someone recommend banning all guns in this thread
    ok, I'll do it.

Ban all guns.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    ok, I'll do it.

Ban all guns.

ata boy :D
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    ata boy :D
    Just here to help. :D

Actually I'm serious but I realize it would be impossible. Ah well. ;)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

I hear whatcha screamin
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

Felony to be caught with a gun....pay people fair amount for what they have....done...finito....fertich...listo.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    Felony to be caught with a gun....pay people fair amount for what they have....done...finito....fertich...listo.

we're making excellent progress here
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jlew24asu wrote:
    we're making excellent progress here
    Excellent progress, indeed. You've now assured the criminal element that their victims will be disarmed.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    prove it. and no one here wants a ban on ALL guns. of course thats unrealistic.

Here are some interesting facts to play with:

Washington, D.C.'s ban on handgun sales took effect in 1977 and by the 1990s the city's murder rate had tripled. During the years following the ban, most murders--and all firearm murders--in the city were committed with handguns.

Chicago imposed handgun registration in 1968, and murders with handguns continued to rise. Its registration system in place, Chicago imposed a D.C.-style handgun ban in 1982, and over the next decade the annual number of handgun-related murders doubled.

California increased its waiting period on retail and private sales of handguns from five to 15 days in 1975 (reduced to 10 days in 1996), outlawed "assault weapons" in 1989 and subjected rifles and shotguns to the waiting period in 1990. Yet since 1975, the state's annual murder rate has averaged 32% higher than the rate for the rest of the country.

Maryland has imposed a waiting period and a gun purchase limit, banned several small handguns, restricted "assault weapons," and regulated private transfers of firearms even between family members and friends, yet for the last decade its murder rate has averaged 44% higher than the rate for the rest of the country, and its robbery rate has averaged highest among the states.

The overall murder rate in the jurisdictions that have the most severe restrictions on firearms purchase and ownership--California, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Washington, D.C.--is 8% higher than the rate for the rest of the country.

New York has had a handgun licensing law since 1911, yet until the New York City Police Department began a massive crackdown on crime in the mid-1990s, New York City's violent crime rate was among the highest of U.S. cities.

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 imposed unprecedented restrictions relating to firearms nationwide. Yet, compared to the five years before the law, the national murder rate averaged 50% higher during the five years after the law, 75% higher during the next five years, and 81% higher during the five years after that.
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Excellent progress, indeed. You've now assured the criminal element that their victims will be disarmed.

good thing we have police around.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    Too many people living in fear but sounds good.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    on assualt weapons the ban expired...but not on fully automatic machine guns.

What do you mean? Do you know how hard it is to get the BATFE to give you a federal stamp permitting you to buy a full automatic weapon? VERY few people get them. You've made it sound like anyone can go to a gun show and get a fully automatic firearms, which is definitely not the case.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    good thing we have police around.

Do police prevent crime where you live? They only respond to calls where I'm from. Self-defense and crime prevention are issues I need to address for myself. If you are relying on police protection you're either naive or live in an area where your cop to citizen ratio must be extraordinarly high.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    trying to keep the streets safer is a radical idea? I guess im radical.

this idea wouldnt keep guns away from people that are going to use them. if people really want them, they will find a way to get them regardless
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    What do you mean? Do you know how hard it is to get the BATFE to give you a federal stamp permitting you to buy a full automatic weapon? VERY few people get them. You've made it sound like anyone can go to a gun show and get a fully automatic firearms, which is definitely not the case.
    thread and you'll see I'm agreeing with this (your) statement.....I actually thought no one could get a fully automatic weapon.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    thread and you'll see I'm agreeing with this (your) statement.....I actually thought no one could get a fully automatic weapon.

Sorry, I must have misread. The media sometimes gets confused about semi-auto vs. full-auto, and there are often misconceptions because of that.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    jlew24asu wrote:
    personally I hate guns. They are intended for one purpose. To Kill. I would like to see extremely tough gun laws. much tougher then the ones already in place. and an all out ban on assault weapons like machine guns.

the second amendment right is as outdated as catholic priests not being allowed to marry. we shouldnt have the right to bear arms. it should be a privilege to those who qualify.

Not to be deriding, but seriously...."I hate guns?" Like, I hate drunk drivers, and like *twirling hair* I hate slow drivers, and like, it's all so stupid, and mean and like.

Machine guns are banned. But they shouldn't be. Why? Because those that want one for unlawful purposes will get them. You may not want people to have them, but they exist. Unless you somehow destroy every single machine gun and then kill everyone who knows how to make them, you will NEVER stop them from getting into the hands of people who want them bad enough. So since these unsavory individuals can get them, I say let us law abiding citizens have them so we can defend ourselves if something like Katrina happens in our neighborhood.

Everyone always says they hate guns and the NRA, but they never figure out how to prevent the wost among us from getting guns. It's like the drug debate. I think the fact that drugs are illegal is a joke. The same logic applies to guns.

I think taking an anti-second amendment position is basically a cop out...it's not based on logic, it's to make us feel good.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    I know it's late to jump into this thread, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned that there is an inherent trust in the government that is required to ban guns. By banning guns, you are essentially trusting the government to acquire all guns (not just those belonging to copliant citizens), you are trusting the government to protect you better than you can protect yourself, and you are trusting the government to not betray you or take away any more of your rights (no one can seriously believe this).
    I don't trust the government to do any of those things. With intense gun laws, all we would do is create a dangerous black market (similar to the black market we have created for drugs).
    "All governments are murderers and liars."
    -Bill Hicks
  • Options
    I know it's late to jump into this thread, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned that there is an inherent trust in the government that is required to ban guns. By banning guns, you are essentially trusting the government to acquire all guns (not just those belonging to copliant citizens), you are trusting the government to protect you better than you can protect yourself, and you are trusting the government to not betray you or take away any more of your rights (no one can seriously believe this).
    I don't trust the government to do any of those things. With intense gun laws, all we would do is create a dangerous black market (similar to the black market we have created for drugs).

Thank you, I was going to bring up this point, because it's an important one....totally agree with you.
  • Options

you make much better points than Hawk. and yes there would be a need for public accountability for the government to gradually destroy and phase out assault weapons.

with that said I dont realistically ever seeing ALL guns be totally banned, and dont think they should be. just a ban on "assault" weapons and very tough laws to obtain a non assault weapon. (dont ask me about categories, I dont know)

It would take a long time for positive changes to take place, possible a generation.

To say drugs/guns should be legal because there is a black market is the most asinine I ever heard. but I'm just one guy on a message board.
  • Options
    anybody ever seen the movie Heat? those were some bad ass guns,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    you make much better points than Hawk.

Oh, you're just pissed at the *curling hair* comment :)
  • Options
    anybody ever seen the movie Heat? those were some bad ass guns,...

best shootout scene in a movie ever. and yes, those are so bad ass guns.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

To say drugs/guns should be legal because there is a black market is the most asinine I ever heard. but I'm just one guy on a message board.

The black market argument shows the reality of a ban on guns. If you are talking about gun control in reality, this has to be addressed. If we're talking about a hypothetical world that truly and effectively bans guns (or just certain guns), that is a different scenario altogether.
    "All governments are murderers and liars."
    -Bill Hicks
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    you make much better points than Hawk. and yes there would be a need for public accountability for the government to gradually destroy and phase out assault weapons.

with that said I dont realistically ever seeing ALL guns be totally banned, and dont think they should be. just a ban on "assault" weapons and very tough laws to obtain a non assault weapon. (dont ask me about categories, I dont know)

It would take a long time for positive changes to take place, possible a generation.

"Assault weapons" are not machine guns. As have been stated, machine guns are already banned.

You wanna know the criteria for a weapong being deemed an assault weapon?

if it has a bayonette (sp? sorry, that's bad) lug
    it has a folding stock
    it has a pistol grip
    a big magazine

I know you are not a lefty jlew, but seriously, I think the left has you hook line and sinker on this issue. it's style over substance. the term "assault weapon", i'm guessing most people associate with machine guns. With an "assault weapon" you pull the trigger, and one bullet comes out. with a machine gun (which are illegal but I think they should be legal) you press the trigger once, and lots of bullets come out.

As with any issue, when people become informed, I think they favor the conservative side...learn about guns, and you will become enlightened my friend :)