Options

Baseball Hall of Fame 2018

124»

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Most of the "fans" that left baseball were brought back in by the home run race in 98. And they're typically the same people that are now bashing the juicers. 
    Exactly!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I’m not bashing juicers, I just don’t think Sosa puts up the numbers without it.
  • Options
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Regardless, they still put up the numbers. Dont forget, most of the mid-level pitching was also juiced. The playing field was even.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Most of the "fans" that left baseball were brought back in by the home run race in 98. And they're typically the same people that are now bashing the juicers. 
    TRUTH!!!
  • Options
    I just did the math.  If you take the 'roid years away (98-03), Sosa averaged 32.45 HR per 162 games.  Stretch that out over his career and he'd have 472 HR.  More than Bagwell, who was elected last year, and more than Chipper & Vlad who were just elected.  I know HR isn't the only metric for enshrinement into the HOF, but to suggest his numbers wouldn't have been good enough is not only pure speculation, but most likely inaccurate as well.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    I just did the math.  If you take the 'roid years away (98-03), Sosa averaged 32.45 HR per 162 games.  Stretch that out over his career and he'd have 472 HR.  More than Bagwell, who was elected last year, and more than Chipper & Vlad who were just elected.  I know HR isn't the only metric for enshrinement into the HOF, but to suggest his numbers wouldn't have been good enough is not only pure speculation, but most likely inaccurate as well.
    the roid years? Canseco said he started doing them his rookie year in 1986. So 98 is when it all started? lol
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Its equally speculative to say that he'd put up those numbers without help of the juice or corked bats. HR as the only requirement would be Sosa's only hope. He literally has nothing else to hang his hat on, besides his HR and the honors they led to. Prior to 1998 you wouldve been laughed out of the room if you said he was on track as a HoF.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    got one of my many auction catalogs today (goldin)

a bonds gamer started at $500 and is at $4000.

sosa gamer started at $150 and is at $225.

palmiero gamer started at $100 and is still at $100.

that’s about how I see all three in regard to HOF worthiness.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Its equally speculative to say that he'd put up those numbers without help of the juice or corked bats. HR as the only requirement would be Sosa's only hope. He literally has nothing else to hang his hat on, besides his HR and the honors they led to. Prior to 1998 you wouldve been laughed out of the room if you said he was on track as a HoF.
    SB's and a bunch of 30/30 seasons would be exciting to the writers.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

A bonds gamer?  As in game worn?  What is game worn?

Also you got any Kevin Merrell Bowman chrome color autos?
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    the roid years? Canseco said he started doing them his rookie year in 1986. So 98 is when it all started? lol
    That is the year that Sosa's number soared.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    PRL1JAM said:
    That is the year that Sosa's number soared.
    yep, you're correct.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    Wobbie said:

bats, wise guy.

and, no, no I don’t :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

bats, wise guy.

and, no, no I don’t :wink:
    Thanks.

I'm all in collecting on this speedster Merrell.  Check him out.