Hillary Clinton: What happened

18910111214»

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 6,450
    JimmyV said:
    If the Electoral College can be improved I'm all for it. The Constitution is a piece of paper written by man. It can and should be updated as necessary.

I don't think abolishing the EC altogether is necessary or even a good idea, frankly. It may not be a perfect system but it does force Presidential candidates to run national campaigns. That's important. Running up the score in California shouldn't decide the Presidency, and it is short-sighted to think it should.

Party affiliations and voting tendencies are always changing. In the 1980's, California voted Republican. In the 1990's, Bill Clinton won in Arkansas, Louisiana and Montana. It would be stunning to see any of that happen today, and 20-30 years from now there will be more states that have flipped just as surprisingly. The EC ensures that no matter what shifts occur, the winning candidate must compete all over.

IMO, voter supression is a much bigger threat to American democracy than is the Electoral College.
    but it isn't necessary anymore....it was necessary when there wasn't instant news.  
    Former BernieBro, turned Hillary rotten Clinton #1 Fanboy

1998: Noblesville
    2003: Noblesville
    2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville
    2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago
    2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWestPosts: 11,013
    JimmyV said:
    If the Electoral College can be improved I'm all for it. The Constitution is a piece of paper written by man. It can and should be updated as necessary.

I don't think abolishing the EC altogether is necessary or even a good idea, frankly. It may not be a perfect system but it does force Presidential candidates to run national campaigns. That's important. Running up the score in California shouldn't decide the Presidency, and it is short-sighted to think it should.

Party affiliations and voting tendencies are always changing. In the 1980's, California voted Republican. In the 1990's, Bill Clinton won in Arkansas, Louisiana and Montana. It would be stunning to see any of that happen today, and 20-30 years from now there will be more states that have flipped just as surprisingly. The EC ensures that no matter what shifts occur, the winning candidate must compete all over.

IMO, voter supression is a much bigger threat to American democracy than is the Electoral College.
    but it isn't necessary anymore....it was necessary when there wasn't instant news.  

Not sure what you mean here. Instant news doesn't change us from being a large geographic country with diverse political and economic priorities. The EC protects against candidates simply running up the score on the coasts or in the deep south and declaring victory.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 6,450
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Not sure what you mean here. Instant news doesn't change us from being a large geographic country with diverse political and economic priorities. The EC protects against candidates simply running up the score on the coasts or in the deep south and declaring victory.
    Sure it does...it puts the candidate right in front of you regardless of where they are.  They campaign that way.

If Clinton just campaigned in CA, NY, etc. tRump would have been all over that.  My guess is that going to popular vote would actually force the candidates to visit each state MORE frequently.  

Former BernieBro, turned Hillary rotten Clinton #1 Fanboy

1998: Noblesville
    2003: Noblesville
    2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville
    2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago
    2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,601
    Carlos Danger gets 21 months in the clink  
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere.Posts: 3,144
    edited October 5
    This was great, really enjoyed it. Thank you, Hillary. :)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thank-you-notes-hillary-clinton_us_59d5c75ee4b0cde45872e445?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

And yes, thank heavens we didn't end up with an emotional and unstable president because that would have been a nightmare.

Post edited by Kat on
    "Well, as far as I know, music makes people happy. I know it makes me happy." -- Fats Domino
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 8,349
    Kat said:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thank-you-notes-hillary-clinton_us_59d5c75ee4b0cde45872e445?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

And yes, thank heavens we didn't end up with an emotional and unstable president because that would have been a nightmare.

If this keeps up over the next 2 election cycles expect many thank you(s) from republicans.
    (And these questions can be re-phrased and asked about 90% of what you asked)
  • JC29856 said:
    Kat said:

If this keeps up over the next 2 election cycles expect many thank you(s) from republicans.
    They might as well say thank you now.  I immediately thought of this after watching it. 27-30 especially.

Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 16,858
    Id still vote for her today & twice on Sunday intead of the Orange bafoon , the man is a disgrace !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Miley crying and writing a thank you note to Hillary on Fallon's show ... a thank you note?  Thanks for having no personality and somehow losing to an orange repugnant clown?  

Let us remind Miley of how election night went for Hillary ...

Hillary hid away instead of focusing and spending time in six key states because she thought she had it in the bag. Worst campaign ever.

Maybe the next dem candidate will think about having some cheese curds and a PBR with the so called deplorables instead of hanging out with Clooney in Hollywood.   

No Thank You, Hillary.  
  • https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/trump-jr-feuds-with-kimmel-‘you’re-probably-due-for-a-change’/ar-AAt23ht?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp
    Trump Jr. and other Republicans have called on Democrats such as Hillary Clinton and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to return past donations from Weinstein in the wake of the harassment allegations. A number of Democrats, including Schumer, have returned donations.
    "Weird, Hillary has been really quiet about Harvey Weinstein," he tweeted. "You would think she would be all Over this."
    Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,766
    Kat said:

D'oh..... no shit eh??

Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,373
    Wait. Some Democrats in America are hypocrites as well?!?! And Jr. is a hypocrite for caring about Weinstein, but condoning his father?!? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 11,590
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/trump-jr-feuds-with-kimmel-‘you’re-probably-due-for-a-change’/ar-AAt23ht?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp
    Trump Jr. and other Republicans have called on Democrats such as Hillary Clinton and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to return past donations from Weinstein in the wake of the harassment allegations. A number of Democrats, including Schumer, have returned donations.
    "Weird, Hillary has been really quiet about Harvey Weinstein," he tweeted. "You would think she would be all Over this."
    so Trump is accused, and he's elected president. Weinstein is accused, and the dem's are responsible for returning money he gave them? so then shouldn't trump give back the presidency?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 8,705
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/trump-jr-feuds-with-kimmel-‘you’re-probably-due-for-a-change’/ar-AAt23ht?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp
    so Trump is accused, and he's elected president. Weinstein is accused, and the dem's are responsible for returning money he gave them? so then shouldn't trump give back the presidency?
    Yes please.
    hippiemom = goodness
18910111214»