Options

Please rise and remove your caps

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    my2hands said:

4 pages about wearing a hat?

George Costanza reference should have ended this thread lol

This is better than a thread on 'Please lift the toilet seat prior, and place it & the lid down post'
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I meant that their thought process make logical sense. But really, do you seriously expect everyone to know the origin of every single cultural behaviour we have? It seems bit unfair to call out ignorance on that one. It kind of ignores the basic tenets of culture and human nature IMO. I understand your argument theoretically, but I don't think it stands up to plain old reality. Your expectations are wildly unrealistic here.

FWIW, I did know there was some historical explanation behind the act (just because I know almost every social norm has something like that behind it), and I definitely still do think those who don't remove their hats during the National Anthem are rude. They understand the meaning it conveys as well as the rest of us do, and I do think it is a willful act of disrespect and social propriety... which I even find interesting myself, because in many ways I do not follow social norms at all. But when it comes to basic manners (and I think this issue is in that category), I'm actually still a bit of a stickler. I only start deviating when it actually has a real impact on people's lives.
    yes, I agree that their thought process makes logical sense. But as displayed in this thread (and many others), people get all fucking upset about someone being "rude" and they don't even know why they believe that act/inact to be rude. Even when you question them, they don't bother to educate themselves or question it. "that's the way it is, so do it!" , or "don't be a dick!". "but why am I a dick?" "Doesn't matter, don't be a dick!". 

I don't expect everyone to know the origin of every custom, of course not. I don't. I only research ones when it comes to mind. And when I have time. or the interest. But this is why when I find myself having a judgy thought, I think "hmmm....maybe I don't know the reason behind (insert act/inact here)", and but that since it also doesn't affect me personally, I don't give a fuck. That's the real point here, is that people are too quick to judge, and most of the time don't even have a clue why. nor does it really affect them. so they need to just calm the fuck down and let people live their lives. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

That's the real point here, is that people are too quick to judge, and most of the time don't even have a clue why. nor does it really affect them. so they need to just calm the fuck down and let people live their lives. 
    agreed
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    my2hands said:

That's the real point here, is that people are too quick to judge, and most of the time don't even have a clue why. nor does it really affect them. so they need to just calm the fuck down and let people live their lives. 
    agreed
    but then you are judging us for judging them making you quick to judge which makes you judges like us judges.

ps: take your hat off :rock_on:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

agreed
    but then you are judging us for judging them making you quick to judge which makes you judges like us judges.

Except for the fact that they've got a bit more information to work with.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

agreed

that's not how it works. simply saying "fuck off and let me live my life" is not judging. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    my2hands said:

4 pages about wearing a hat?

George Costanza reference should have ended this thread lol

One little rant and then...  ... Jeff! You are on camera, get that hat off your head! Can you believe the disrespect to the viewers at home... :giggle:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    I've posted this incident before last year but this thread brought up a question of praying/grace at others homes or something like that.

I was at a potluck dinner at the outlaws, it was outside.  As the host said dinner is ready I actually didn't hear her say let's take a minute to say grace.  My kids and I just started helping ourselves and my son turned to me and said "Dad what are they doing"?  I had no answer that would be of reasoning to a young mind so I let the zombies continue to stand like statues listening to a chant while we carried on getting our food.  Later no less that 10 people came up to me privately (mostly ones I didn't know) and said "I hate saying grace, I don't even believe that also".  We have had a few dinners since and grace has not been said since (while we are there).

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Here's a fun story.  I went to watch my niece-in-law play in her volleyball tournament.  The coach kept yelling at the team "Take off your hats!".  Of course I was confused bc volleyball players obviously don't wear hats.  It was coach's polite way of telling the team to get their heads out of their asses.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    Here's a fun story.  I went to watch my niece-in-law play in her volleyball tournament.  The coach kept yelling at the team "Take off your hats!".  Of course I was confused bc volleyball players obviously don't wear hats.  It was coach's polite way of telling the team to get their heads out of their asses.
    hahaha!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I've posted this incident before last year but this thread brought up a question of praying/grace at others homes or something like that.

I was at a potluck dinner at the outlaws, it was outside.  As the host said dinner is ready I actually didn't hear her say let's take a minute to say grace.  My kids and I just started helping ourselves and my son turned to me and said "Dad what are they doing"?  I had no answer that would be of reasoning to a young mind so I let the zombies continue to stand like statues listening to a chant while we carried on getting our food.  Later no less that 10 people came up to me privately (mostly ones I didn't know) and said "I hate saying grace, I don't even believe that also".  We have had a few dinners since and grace has not been said since (while we are there).

awesome!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

1 out of 50!of your posts are very enjoyable. 49 before the next one that makes me laugh.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

If I was wearing a hat I would tip it or take it off to say thanks to you sir.

I just can't remember if I own a hat or not.
  • Options
    ^^^

If I was wearing a hat I would tip it or take it off to say thanks to you sir.

I just can't remember if I own a hat or not.
    Just do it outside.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    ARGUE
  • Options
    TROLL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    LAUGHING
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Oh, did we move the word game from AET to AMT? I didn't get the memo ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    tbergs said:
    Oh, did we move the word game from AET to AMT? I didn't get the memo ;)
    PLEASE REMOVE YOUR CAPS! (Lower case only, thank you!) :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    unsung said:
    I take my hat off because I am not an A-hole.

Gentlemen also take their hats off while indoors, especially while dining.  I always take it off when I am seated at the table.

I open the door and hand it off to anyone but I hold it open to allow ladies to enter first.

All of those make much more sense than removing a hat. 
    Except holding a door for a woman, that one's off.  You should hold a door for a human, regardless of what type of human.  
    The same people defending the taking off the hat, are probably the ones who don't hold doors for people. Just saying. 
    If you're going to call someone an asshole over a hat, man you better be a perfect person. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PP193448 said:
    Now we're talking
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nevermind :sleepy:

Regurgitated info that was already mentioned. But happy one year to this thread anyways lol.

Maybe I will run a social experiment and see how many people actually address me if I choose to keep my hat on during the anthem. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Fuck the hats they are lame the only reason most wear them is to hide their bald spot..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Nevermind :sleepy:

Regurgitated info that was already mentioned. But happy one year to this thread anyways lol.

Maybe I will run a social experiment and see how many people actually address me if I choose to keep my hat on during the anthem. 
    Go to a ball game plenty of people keep their hats on during the anthem , go ahead ask someone at Yankees stadium to take their hat off ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I don't understand why this is even a big deal; take your hat for 90 seconds.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Next time I'm at a game I'm only going to wear a hat during the anthem and then take it off the rest of the time. That should get some interesting reactions.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    Am I more respectful than non hat wearers then? :confused:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016