Options

Please rise and remove your caps

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    What about Cerrano? Did he take the hats off his bats during the anthem?
    Image result for cerrano hats for bats
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't understand why this is even a big deal; take your hat for 90 seconds.
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    So you've been told and you listened, and it ties in with the funny "hat rules" that were imparted by your religion so it made sense.
    Not everyone thinks like that.

Some people see these sorts of rules and rituals as relics of a past which needs let go, or they are just very resistant to examples of groupthink like this where people follow blindly in footsteps they don't understand.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2018
    I find this stuff interesting....ingrained, antiquated traditions that everyone partakes in without a clue as to why.  The hat thing has always bothered me.  I take mine off at dinner cause even at 43, my dad rags on me about it if I forget.  I would never wear one out for a nice dinner only because I associate the looks of a ball cap with lazy days and rednecks...if I'm out for a nice dinner, I will try not to look like a redneck.  If I'm at a fast food joint, who cares? 
    I have never had anyone bitch at me for wearing it indoors. 
    I take it off for anthems, but honestly it bugs the shit out of me.  I don't like standing for anthems, pretending to sing along, none of that nationalist bullshit....and hearing people make 'fought for our freedoms' comments reinforces why it bugs me.  There are very few recent instances in which our military has been involved in anything resembling fighting for our freedom.  Military indoctrination has no place in sporting events.  
    So ya....antiquated, ingrained, rooted in false pretense....kinda like marriage ;)
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    So you've been told and you listened, and it ties in with the funny "hat rules" that were imparted by your religion so it made sense.

Some people see these sorts of rules and rituals as relics of a past which needs let go, or they are just very resistant to examples of groupthink like this where people follow blindly in footsteps they don't understand.  
    My religion?  
    My grandfather (ww2 vet) and dad (vietnam vet) instilled this thinking, and i'll do the same to my kids.  I really don't see the harm in it.  It is all of 90 seconds.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    Nevermind :sleepy:

Regurgitated info that was already mentioned. But happy one year to this thread anyways lol.

Maybe I will run a social experiment and see how many people actually address me if I choose to keep my hat on during the anthem. 
    Go to a ball game plenty of people keep their hats on during the anthem , go ahead ask someone at Yankees stadium to take their hat off ...
    well if they are a Yankees fan there is at least a 90% chance they are already a dick so keeping hat on or taking it off in Yankee stadium isn't going to change what they are :)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    My grandfather (ww2 vet) and dad (vietnam vet) instilled this thinking, and i'll do the same to my kids.  I really don't see the harm in it.  It is all of 90 seconds.
    Aren't you Catholic?
    They have rules about hats so it would make sense that you wouldn't be inclined to question it.

Nationalism is ugly and many people want no part of it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    Aren't you Catholic?
    They have rules about hats so it would make sense that you wouldn't be inclined to question it.

Yeah I am catholic but I don’t Associate the two together. I see nothing wrong with nationalism, I am proud to live in the United States. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Virulent nationalism causes some of the worst ills on our planet. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    Aren't you Catholic?

Yeah I am catholic but I don’t Associate the two together. I see nothing wrong with nationalism, I am proud to live in the United States. 

Nationalism is the reason your ancestors had to go fight wars in the first place, and the cycle continues as it's passed down the generations.
    That 1950 halcyon view of history is so outdated it is laughable.  It was always a myth, expertly crafted to continue the status quo, but thank Yahweh that the hippies came along and created a cycle of counter culture to combat it, or who knows what war we would have been drafted into in our generation.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    pjhawks said:

Regurgitated info that was already mentioned. But happy one year to this thread anyways lol.

Maybe I will run a social experiment and see how many people actually address me if I choose to keep my hat on during the anthem. 
    Go to a ball game plenty of people keep their hats on during the anthem , go ahead ask someone at Yankees stadium to take their hat off ...
    well if they are a Yankees fan there is at least a 90% chance they are already a dick so keeping hat on or taking it off in Yankee stadium isn't going to change what they are :)
    True just like the Philly fans ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    tbergs said:
    Next time I'm at a game I'm only going to wear a hat during the anthem and then take it off the rest of the time. That should get some interesting reactions.
    I like how you think, t!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    What about toupees and wigs?  Should they be removed during the National Anthem?  I yes "yes".  And while your at it, take off your shoes and socks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

I bet that lawyer caught ripping the customers and workers for taking spanish and threatening to call ICE was a Yankee fan. As Bill Maher would say, i don't know if it's a fact, i just know it's true.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    edited May 2018
    I am with Mike, I take my cap off and teach the kids to.
    I also fly a flag proudly outside of my home.
    Have had the nationalism conversation and 100% agree that it can be (and often is) abused to negative ends.  I choose to support my own belief in what the country means to me and am proud of it.
    Do I think our idiot president is all wrong?  Yep.  Do I think more Americans are total mouth breathing morons than are conscientious, good citizens?  Yep.  Do I still hope that others strive to live up to the image I have of what America can be?  Yep. 
    Does it matter to me if other people leave their hats on?  Nope.  Be free to be who you want to be, so long as you do not harm others.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    What about toupees and wigs?  Should they be removed during the National Anthem?  I yes "yes".  And while your at it, take off your shoes and socks.
    do you talk during moments of silences? how about during a Eulogy?  I'm just wondering where you guys draw the line on acting with respect?  what do you do and don't do?  do you hold the door for women and the elderly or is that too much to ask you to be respectful for those thing?  just curious...seriously.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    do you talk during moments of silences? how about during a Eulogy?  I'm just wondering where you guys draw the line on acting with respect?  what do you do and don't do?  do you hold the door for women and the elderly or is that too much to ask you to be respectful for those thing?  just curious...seriously.
    But those directly affect another person. My hat doesnt.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    so you intentionally do things in public that, although you don't find a problem with it, others might?  isn't that, in itself, by being in public disrespectful?  
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited May 2018
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    so you intentionally do things in public that, although you don't find a problem with it, others might?  isn't that, in itself, by being in public disrespectful?  
    Ever dropped an F bomb in public? People have different things they find disrespectful. It’s odd that a piece of apparel on my head would bother people. Especially since it doesnt affect anyone like opening a door for them or them hearing me swear, etc
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    None of those are good examples for comparison, as drake pointed out.
    I can't think of any that would be though, there arent many behaviours like this that are so widespread. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

I bet that lawyer caught ripping the customers and workers for taking spanish and threatening to call ICE was a Yankee fan. As Bill Maher would say, i don't know if it's a fact, i just know it's true.
    A racist is a racist no matter what team they root for i'm done with sports i could careless who you or the next poster roots for ....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    It bothers me more when people say 'I could care less' when they really mean 'I could not care less'

jk
  • Options
    It bothers me more when people say 'I could care less' when they really mean 'I could not care less'

jk
    Hey i've only been in the country for 30 yrs my Spinglish is not perfected yet give me another 30 and i should be up to par , but i really could not care less ...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    do you talk during moments of silences? No
    how about during a Eulogy? No
      I'm just wondering where you guys draw the line on acting with respect?  what do you do and don't do?  do you hold the door for women : yes
    and the elderly: yes 
     or is that too much to ask you to be respectful for those thing?  just curious...seriously.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited May 2018
    I was indoctrinated on the hat wearing policy since I was a kid, but I don't expect everyone to do it nor do I care if they don't. My question is, what is the impact if people stop removing their caps?
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I was indoctrinated on the hat wearing policy since I was a kid, but I don't expect everyone to do nor do I care if they don't. My question is, what is the impact if people stop removing their caps?
    Societal collapse, obviously.
  • Options

jk
    Hey i've only been in the country for 30 yrs my Spinglish is not perfected yet give me another 30 and i should be up to par , but i really could not care less ...
    My attempts at speaking a 2nd and 3rd language are awful - props to you!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    I hold the door for anyone behind me. I give up my seat to someone who needs it (not at a PJ show, though; that seat took work to get!). I obviously don’t talk during a eulogy - what sort of question is that? 

The difference is that all of those have real world consequences if you don’t do them. Taking off a hat or leaving it on has absolutely no real world consequences to anyone except possibly a warm head, and objecting to leaving a hat because it might cause offence is a baseless as prior generations objecting to a woman’s skirt length showing her ankle.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    Ever dropped an F bomb in public? People have different things they find disrespectful. It’s odd that a piece of apparel on my head would bother people. Especially since it doesnt affect anyone like opening a door for them or them hearing me swear, etc
    i would never say i never have but it's definitely something i am very aware not to do. i try to be aware of my surroundings and be respectful to others.  it's not really complicated.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    I hold the door for anyone behind me. I give up my seat to someone who needs it (not at a PJ show, though; that seat took work to get!). I obviously don’t talk during a eulogy - what sort of question is that? 

The difference is that all of those have real world consequences if you don’t do them. Taking off a hat or leaving it on has absolutely no real world consequences to anyone except possibly a warm head, and objecting to leaving a hat because it might cause offence is a baseless as prior generations objecting to a woman’s skirt length showing her ankle.
    :clap:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    Aren't you Catholic?

I always find this statement, "I am proud to live in (this country)" very interesting. I mean, what is there to be proud of? Pride generally stems from something you did or had a part in doing that is positive. 

if you were born there, you had zero part in choosing your geographical location. and you also had zero part in what the US is today, in the grand scheme. 

I am not proud to be Canadian. I'm happy to live in Canada, but I wouldn't use the word pride. 

as to your previous statement, "I don't see the harm in it". I agree, there really is no harm in it. Unless you couple it with a message of derision of places that aren't the US. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com