Options

Remember when..

Comments

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,506
    I remember a guy with bicycle selling milk, door to door..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

it really bugs me when people talk about "today's youth" and how spoiled they are and weak they are and whatnot. how did that happen? they didn't just come out of the womb that way. they were TAUGHT that way by the generation bitching about them! as someone else said, each generation has it easier than the last as a result of technology and innovation. it doesn't mean they are weaker, it means they are used to fewer hardships. I'm sure they'd be just as resiliant in a time of crisis as any of us. it's not like millenials are that much different from gen x-ers. a school cancelling for a snow day isn't because the kids are whiners. it's because the adults making the rules think the kids can't handle it. and that's whose fault it is.

I think we also tend to suffer from revisionist history a bit. did I have to walk to school in the freezing cold and blizzard like conditions? yep. did I whine about it? of course I did. I wasn't walking to school with a pipe in my mouth and my fists clenched and a scowl shouting "you won't beat me!" to the heavens.

and I'm from the coldest shithole in NA.

anyway, back to the thread.

Just for the record... snow days are complete linked to risk: keeping everyone off the roads until they are safe to travel (at least here they are).

Winterpeg. Eesh. Was there coaching a few years back. Sorry, Hugh. It never left a great impression with me. It was cold. And flat. I wanted out of there.
    Easy TB.
    Winterpeg isn't a tourist hotspot but damn can they handle the cold.
    Not as well as people from Saskatchewan though.
    Proud to say I was born in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon)!

Folks moved west before I knew my ass from a hole in the ground. Going back to visit relatives was always fun. Xmas was cold. Summer was nice.
    gollee, yuk, yuk, know wander we aint gets alung
    borne and razed in regina
    I would take a Saskatchewan winter over any coastal winter fullstop.

I don't remember the last time I heard the distinct crunch of walking on frozen snow while at the same time dealing with nostrils frozen shut.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    deadendp said:

Remember when you could dial a local number and not have to use the area code? Or! Remember when you could look at someone's phone number and know the section of town that they lived in? Not so much anymore.

I remember when we had to start dialing 10 digits. It happened when Metro Vancouver got a second area code sometime around 2000 or 2001. Everyone went nuts, lol. It was horrifying to those of us who got stuck with 778 instead of 604. I was legit upset over it (within reason) - It took me months to get used to that when I got my first cell phone, and people made fun of me for it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    PJ_Soul said:

deadendp said:

Remember when you could dial a local number and not have to use the area code? Or! Remember when you could look at someone's phone number and know the section of town that they lived in? Not so much anymore.

I remember when we had to start dialing 10 digits. It happened when Metro Vancouver got a second area code sometime around 2000 or 2001. Everyone went nuts, lol. It was horrifying to those of us who got stuck with 778 instead of 604. I was legit upset over it (within reason) - It took me months to get used to that when I got my first cell phone, and people made fun of me for it. :lol:
    You guys had area-code shaming?? Man.. Canadians are ruthless.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

deadendp said:

You guys had area-code shaming?? Man.. Canadians are ruthless.
    Oh yeah,
    I remember when I lived in Victoria and the 250 came out. It was a ridiculous concept of adding three new numbers, outrage!
    If you really want to see outrage wait until another area code is introduced to the island. :lol:
    604 are better people :wink:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    MAN: You're probably one of those women who doesn't like to give out her number.

ELAINE: No, I'm not. Here you go.

MAN: 646?

ELAINE: It's a new area code.

MAN: What area? New Jersey?

ELAINE: No, no. It's right here in the city. It's the same as 212. They just multiplied it by 3, and then they added one to the middle number. It's the same.

MAN: Do I have to dial a one first?

Elaine nods and the man crumples up her number.

MAN: I'm really kinda seein' somebody.

ELAINE: Yeah? Well, so am I!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you, Hedo! That's what I was thinking of!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Lol, I love that episode! Do people in NYC really have to dial a 1 before the number if they get a new area code though??? That makes it long distance!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    deadendp said:

Still dialing 7 digits here...
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

deadendp said:

Still dialing 7 digits here...
    :bow:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    ^^^
    Agreed.
    Good on you.
  • Options

it really bugs me when people talk about "today's youth" and how spoiled they are and weak they are and whatnot. how did that happen? they didn't just come out of the womb that way. they were TAUGHT that way by the generation bitching about them! as someone else said, each generation has it easier than the last as a result of technology and innovation. it doesn't mean they are weaker, it means they are used to fewer hardships. I'm sure they'd be just as resiliant in a time of crisis as any of us. it's not like millenials are that much different from gen x-ers. a school cancelling for a snow day isn't because the kids are whiners. it's because the adults making the rules think the kids can't handle it. and that's whose fault it is.

I think we also tend to suffer from revisionist history a bit. did I have to walk to school in the freezing cold and blizzard like conditions? yep. did I whine about it? of course I did. I wasn't walking to school with a pipe in my mouth and my fists clenched and a scowl shouting "you won't beat me!" to the heavens.

Just for the record... snow days are complete linked to risk: keeping everyone off the roads until they are safe to travel (at least here they are).

Winterpeg. Eesh. Was there coaching a few years back. Sorry, Hugh. It never left a great impression with me. It was cold. And flat. I wanted out of there.
    Easy TB.

Folks moved west before I knew my ass from a hole in the ground. Going back to visit relatives was always fun. Xmas was cold. Summer was nice.

I don't remember the last time I heard the distinct crunch of walking on frozen snow while at the same time dealing with nostrils frozen shut.
    I had that tonight.

Went night skiing (cross country). What a bad idea: poor wax, freaking cold, hands numb, nostrils sticking... eesh.

All good now! Triumphantly braved the cold and sitting here by the fire with a nice IPA.

Canada.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Nice, Thirty. That made me smile when I needed to.

Cheers!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Cheers!

Cheers to you, Hedo!

You've been kind of quiet lately. This hasn't been lost on me. Hope things are well.
  • Options

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Went night skiing (cross country). What a bad idea: poor wax, freaking cold, hands numb, nostrils sticking... eesh.

All good now! Triumphantly braved the cold and sitting here by the fire with a nice IPA.

Canada.
    I love skiing but I've never cross country skied. It sounds like a horribly painful amount of work.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Canada.
    I love skiing but I've never cross country skied. It sounds like a horribly painful amount of work.
    Downhill is funnier for sure, but cross country gets you out of the house and tooling through the forest instead of staring out the front windows of your house.

Once you kind of get it... it's easier. It doesn't take long, but there's a bit of a learning curve that might serve as a deterrent to future attempts.

There's something to be said for sweating at -20.
  • Options
    Like sweating in a swimming pool...feels odd
  • Options

hedonist said:

Cheers!

Cheers to you, Hedo!

You've been kind of quiet lately. This hasn't been lost on me. Hope things are well.
    Thank you for noticing, my good sir. Though I have poked my head / mind / ears and eyes on the politico front, I'm SO tired of it all right now and my energy is better spent...well, better spent :) . I love the passion but not willing to give much to the splitting (and spitting!) of people. Not all people, thank goodness.

There IS still much goodness here, there, and everywhere. I count you among them!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

mrussel1 said:

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Canada.
    Downhill is funnier for sure, but cross country gets you out of the house and tooling through the forest instead of staring out the front windows of your house.

Once you kind of get it... it's easier. It doesn't take long, but there's a bit of a learning curve that might serve as a deterrent to future attempts.

dirty it's going to be 55 here in a few days. absolutely zero snow.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    when CT had only one area code
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

yeah, I know about the safety and all that. I wasn't talking about snow days, really. just about dealing with the cold and how people my age seem to think they were all fucking popeye when they were kids. they complained about it just as much as kids do now.

if I wasn't born here, i wouldn't come here either. the local music scene in the 90's was amazing, but beyond that, I have no particular love for the city. I am very attached to family and familiarity. if I wasn't, I would have moved to vancouver 20 years ago. most people from the west coast have that same impression about winnipeg. our skyline is about 6 buildings. you can see it from 10 miles away it's so flat. and fuck, it is COLD as FUCK. and the mosquitos in the summer can be DEADLY if we have a really wet spring.

I don't blame NHL players for not wanting to be traded here. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Canada.

dirty it's going to be 55 here in a few days. absolutely zero snow.
    Well Scruffy... I guess you won't get to wear your new long johns you got for Xmas then!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rssesq said:

when CT had only one area code

Maryland used to only have 301. Now we have 240, 301, 410, 443, & 667.
    240 & 301 cover the western half of the state, with 240 being primarily used for cell phones & 301 for land.
    410, 443, & 667 all cover the eastern half, with 443/667 primarily being cell & 410 for land.

We are also getting area code 227 in the western half within the next couple years, once 240 & 301 are exhausted.

With ever-increasing population and the expansion of cell phone use, I'm sure sometime in our lifetime we will see the addition of another code requiring 12 or 13 digit dialing within the US.
  • Options
    (203) covers most of what matters round here (southern CT)
    (860) the hicks
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2017
    There were no cellphones...
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Annafalk said:

Ahhh those were the days!
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Ahhh those were the days!
    HOGWASH! Smart phones are making me rich!
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-crashes-are-on-the-rise-and-warren-buffett-blames-texting-1441800119

jk ... sorta
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

mrussel1 said:

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Canada.

Cross country beats downhill by a mile. The peace and quiet as you glide past the scenery. No lift lines. No lift tickets. No crowds. No noise. Great workout. And you rarely break something.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Easy TB.

I had that tonight.

Canada.

Cross country beats downhill by a mile. The peace and quiet as you glide past the scenery. No lift lines. No lift tickets. No crowds. No noise. Great workout. And you rarely break something.
    Tough to argue with this.

Going downhill is pretty damn fun though.
  • Options
    I was just sitting here thinking about the old record store I used to buy albums from.

Melody Way.

$4.99- $6.99.

Double lps were $9.99 (Kiss Alive, Saturday Night Fever).

I remember when I had 100s of records. A flood damaged them all. Plus... my friends and I welcomed compact discs. I never thought I'd be going back to them.