Options

Remember when..

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
    payphones
    1900 numbers lol
    cordless phones
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited January 2017
    RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

My kiddo has enjoyed this with the other two neighbor girls.

RKCNDY said:

People knew the word have followed could, would, should, and might? Seems like that was only a year or two ago, then everyone starting saying "of" instead. :anguished:

contractions ruined that...

could've, should've, would've...I think then people just assumed the "ve" was "of"

My daughter's 7th grade English teacher does not permit the use of contractions.
    :open_mouth:

Though, I suppose it sets them up for using proper grammar. I remember learning them in 3rd grade...or about then. Now I'm going to be looking out for them in books and articles.
    Yeah, but it also might set them up to not know how to use apostrophes? :frowning: The school should be teaching it all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

My kiddo has enjoyed this with the other two neighbor girls.

RKCNDY said:

People knew the word have followed could, would, should, and might? Seems like that was only a year or two ago, then everyone starting saying "of" instead. :anguished:

contractions ruined that...

could've, should've, would've...I think then people just assumed the "ve" was "of"

My daughter's 7th grade English teacher does not permit the use of contractions.
    :open_mouth:

Though, I suppose it sets them up for using proper grammar. I remember learning them in 3rd grade...or about then. Now I'm going to be looking out for them in books and articles.
    Yeah, but it also might set them up to not know how to use apostrophes? :frowning: The school should be teaching it all.
    I agree. When we were in school, they taught us that contractions were a form of informal writing; as among friends, and that it was not proper to write them in formal documents, etc. We were taught the difference.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Have we mentioned that cereal and Cracker Jacks had great prizes in the box? Halfsies had some of the best cereal prizes.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Have we mentioned that cereal and Cracker Jacks had great prizes in the box? Halfsies had some of the best cereal prizes.

Right?? I forgot about that!! Cap'n Crunch had some great prizes too!
  • Options
    Dancing to records, and we had to be careful when doing our "Aires above ground" -totally a horse term, but I'm borrowing it, because it closest resembles MY klutzy butt trying to be graceful- or we'd cause the record to skip!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

deadendp said:

Right?? I forgot about that!! Cap'n Crunch had some great prizes too!
    I always liked when Honeycomb had the miniature license plates. I'd hang them from the back of my bike seat.
  • Options
    When hockey or baseball cards had that dry stick of gum.

When we had no awareness for the quality of food and chose the stuff that tasted good.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Three way calling.. we'd have group chats via phone call vs. BBS, or IMS..
  • Options
    North Stars runners.

Choice of blue suede with white leather stripes or white leather with blue suede strips.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

When we had no awareness for the quality of food and chose the stuff that tasted good.

Damn, that brings back memories. The gum always had a weird powdery finish, too.

• Options
    hedonist said:

Damn, that brings back memories. The gum always had a weird powdery finish, too.

You were a collector?

I remember collecting Star Wars as well as Planet of the Apes cards too.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

You were a collector?

Not a collector, but I do remember buying the baseball card packs with that awful gum. I'd get them at Rexall Drugs, after moseying around their make-up department.

Strawberry-scented roll-on lip gloss, anyone? God, I loved that stuff.

• Options
    Pet rocks
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Pet rocks

The genius of marketing.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

You were a collector?

Not a collector, but I do remember buying the baseball card packs with that awful gum. I'd get them at Rexall Drugs, after moseying around their make-up department.

Strawberry-scented roll-on lip gloss, anyone? God, I loved that stuff.

lol

got 10 cents... can't afford lipstick... but I got enough to buy a pack of cards!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Pet rocks

The genius of marketing.
    I would imagine the creator is a multi millionaire.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    when, working in the restaurant business, I had to show up on Thursday even if i wasn't working that day to pick up my cheque.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited January 2017
    When people littered everywhere and it wasn't even considered weird. When I saw this bit on Mad Men I totally cracked up. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ife7cSVVgrs

mcgruff10 said:

Pet rocks

The genius of marketing.
    We would just go and find our own rocks and paint them. It was free, although we would steal rocks from people's rock beds in their yards, soooo... :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663

when, working in the restaurant business, I had to show up on Thursday even if i wasn't working that day to pick up my cheque.

And freaking out when the phone rang on your off day. Was it your weed guy, your friends or the manager telling you someone called in so they need you.. the phone was a total crap shoot
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    You didn't like dialling phone numbers ending in zero because chances were that you didn't dial it back far enough and would have to start again.
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    I've fallen and I can't get up!

got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options

You didn't like dialling phone numbers ending in zero because chances were that you didn't dial it back far enough and would have to start again.

My old number was 374-0900. No shit.

My buddies used to get pissed off trying to call me on the weekends before we headed out- there was no call alert back then... only the busy signal.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    You called the weather on your phone at least 2x a day.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Calling to find out the time.

"At the tone, the time will be....."
  • Options

Awesome!
    And you called it just to know the time.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    edited January 2017
    rssesq said:

WHOA!... EARLY CHILDHOOD...!

Anyone else remember the '80s TV show and toy line called "The Get-Along Gang"?
    Post edited by Sarah on
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I still give the number for time and temperature to annoying store clerks who insist they need a phone number.

Generic products were just black and white with a giant barcode. There was an entire aisle devoted to just generic products.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1