Options

Remember when..

Comments

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    FoxyRedLa said:

I'm not sure how far back we're remembering but I will throw this out there cuz this takes me back. To a happy place. :heart:

https://youtu.be/G6Kspj3OO0s

Thanks for that. Made me smile. :)
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Snow days barely existed? You had to suck it up and go tripping through a foot or two of snow to go to school. Now they seem to cancel or delay school for just a few inches of snow!

It's the pussification of America. The kids today (most, not all) are whiny, entitled little brats (including my own). Life is way too easy on them.

Remember encyclopedias? And having to go to the actual library to research for a paper?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Yup. I'm thankful that my kid still wants to research by book, but she is one of the few.

I agree. We are raising soft kids who can do for themselves, want everything handed to them and have a heart attack if there is a tough time.

We put a conscious effort into not trying to "save" our kid but to give her coping strategies, but still... Easier life than what we had.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    deadendp said:

Yup. I'm thankful that my kid still wants to research by book, but she is one of the few.

I agree. We are raising soft kids who can do for themselves, want everything handed to them and have a heart attack if there is a tough time.

We put a conscious effort into not trying to "save" our kid but to give her coping strategies, but still... Easier life than what we had.

All true.. but this is also the nature of innovation. We had it easier than the boomers. They had it easier than the WWII generation and so on. Maybe harder isn't necessarily better?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mrussel1 said:

deadendp said:

All true.. but this is also the nature of innovation. We had it easier than the boomers. They had it easier than the WWII generation and so on. Maybe harder isn't necessarily better?
    I'm :no_mouth: on that!
    =)

There are definitely benefits of technology nowadays, but...progress laced with ramifications, I think. What has been lost in exchange for the gain(s)?

The actual teaching of children, by their parents, to help them become strong, independent and responsible adults...pretty admirable from my childless perch (hell, which is WHY I'm on my childless perch). It takes effort and will and forethought - something that, unfortunately, isn't all too common lately.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I like Clint Eastwood and RogueStoner and all, but based on my experience with the men and women in my life, "pussification" should mean make stronger, not make weaker.

To say otherwise is not only sexist but, in my opinion, it's incredibly ignorant.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    dankind said:

I like Clint Eastwood and RogueStoner and all, but based on my experience with the men and women in my life, "pussification" should mean make stronger, not make weaker.

To say otherwise is not only sexist but, in my opinion, it's incredibly ignorant.

I say wussification.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
    deadendp said:

At least you're trying (and doing a damn fine job at it, I might add).
    Case in point: the calls I get from school for every tiny ache. I'm not talking anything contagious, that's a different story. It used to be that you'd go lay down in nurse's office for rest of the class and off you go to the next class. And that's only if you were really sick. Now it's, "let's call your mommy to pick you up". I call b*lls**t!
    Also, what's up with wanting allowance to clean up their own room and own messes?
    Sometimes I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited February 2017

dankind said:

I say wussification.
    Interesting. All good points. Indeed, if the term p***y is supposed to be in reference to the female genitalia, I agree. It's like "stop being such a girl" and other awful comments like that. I mean Jesus, how insulting can it get?? However, I actually always thought of the word in terms of cats. I.e. scaredy cat. Nervous like a pussy cat. That's why I never thought the term in that context was offensive. So this caused me to look the origin of the word usage, and it turns out we're all wrong. Supposedly the origin of the term pussy as a synonym of coward comes from the word "pusillanimous", which means "lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity" according to Merriam-Webster. So the term is actually not offensive to cats nor sexist. :)
    But if someone who used the word pussy to call someone a coward actually thinks that it means female genitalia, then that person is obviously an asshole.... pun intended. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I say wussification.
    Interesting. All good points. Indeed, if the term p***y is supposed to be in reference to the female genitalia, I agree. It's like "stop being such a girl" and other awful comments like that. I mean Jesus, how insulting can it get?? However, I actually always thought of the word in terms of cats. I.e. scaredy cat. Nervous like a pussy cat. That's why I never thought the term in that context was offensive. So this caused me to look the origin of the word usage, and it turns out we're all wrong. Supposedly the origin of the term pussy as a synonym of coward comes from the word "pusillanimous", which means "lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity" according to Merriam-Webster. So the term is actually not offensive to cats nor sexist. :)
    But if someone who used the word pussy to call someone a coward actually thinks that it means female genitalia, then that person is obviously an asshole.... pun intended. =)
    That is honestly very good information. So now I can use it at the dinner table without being reprimanded. Thank you.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I say wussification.
    That is honestly very good information. So now I can use it at the dinner table without being reprimanded. Thank you.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I say wussification.

Ha! More hilarity!

In all honesty PJ_Soul, my guess is the vast majority of men who use that word believe it is slang for the female part. That's what I thought it was.
  • Options
    rssesq said:
    haha

I watched this last night!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    You're all right. Men do use that word with females in mind. I agree, it is degrading. I guess I've heard it so much I didn't even consider that aspect but still no excuse to be an ignoramous and use that term myself.
    PJS, thanks for looking that up. That's interesting. And I'll be sure to drop that in conversation sometime and look hella smart. :smiley:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    it really bugs me when people talk about "today's youth" and how spoiled they are and weak they are and whatnot. how did that happen? they didn't just come out of the womb that way. they were TAUGHT that way by the generation bitching about them! as someone else said, each generation has it easier than the last as a result of technology and innovation. it doesn't mean they are weaker, it means they are used to fewer hardships. I'm sure they'd be just as resiliant in a time of crisis as any of us. it's not like millenials are that much different from gen x-ers. a school cancelling for a snow day isn't because the kids are whiners. it's because the adults making the rules think the kids can't handle it. and that's whose fault it is.

I think we also tend to suffer from revisionist history a bit. did I have to walk to school in the freezing cold and blizzard like conditions? yep. did I whine about it? of course I did. I wasn't walking to school with a pipe in my mouth and my fists clenched and a scowl shouting "you won't beat me!" to the heavens.

and I'm from the coldest shithole in NA.

anyway, back to the thread.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited February 2017
    mrussel1 said:

dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I say wussification.

Ha! More hilarity!

In all honesty PJ_Soul, my guess is the vast majority of men who use that word believe it is slang for the female part. That's what I thought it was.
    I guess so! I always thought they were two different words altogether. It's a word for female genitalia (a term that I don't find offensive when used that way; it's just slang with no other context, like a partner of the word schlong or whatever, lol). And then I just thought the other use of the word - the one used for wusses - is unrelated. I guess that makes me naive. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

it really bugs me when people talk about "today's youth" and how spoiled they are and weak they are and whatnot. how did that happen? they didn't just come out of the womb that way. they were TAUGHT that way by the generation bitching about them! as someone else said, each generation has it easier than the last as a result of technology and innovation. it doesn't mean they are weaker, it means they are used to fewer hardships. I'm sure they'd be just as resiliant in a time of crisis as any of us. it's not like millenials are that much different from gen x-ers. a school cancelling for a snow day isn't because the kids are whiners. it's because the adults making the rules think the kids can't handle it. and that's whose fault it is.

I think we also tend to suffer from revisionist history a bit. did I have to walk to school in the freezing cold and blizzard like conditions? yep. did I whine about it? of course I did. I wasn't walking to school with a pipe in my mouth and my fists clenched and a scowl shouting "you won't beat me!" to the heavens.

Just for the record... snow days are complete linked to risk: keeping everyone off the roads until they are safe to travel (at least here they are).

Winterpeg. Eesh. Was there coaching a few years back. Sorry, Hugh. It never left a great impression with me. It was cold. And flat. I wanted out of there.
  • Options

Just for the record... snow days are complete linked to risk: keeping everyone off the roads until they are safe to travel (at least here they are).

Winterpeg. Eesh. Was there coaching a few years back. Sorry, Hugh. It never left a great impression with me. It was cold. And flat. I wanted out of there.
    Easy TB.
    Winterpeg isn't a tourist hotspot but damn can they handle the cold.
    Not as well as people from Saskatchewan though.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

I agree with you that keeping everyone safe until roads are safe to travel is necessary. 6-8 inches of snow, yes delay school or call it off until the plows roll through. Calling school off when it rains just because they said it might snow, on the other hand, is taking it too far.
  • Options

Easy TB.
    Winterpeg isn't a tourist hotspot but damn can they handle the cold.
    Not as well as people from Saskatchewan though.
    Proud to say I was born in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon)!

Folks moved west before I knew my ass from a hole in the ground. Going back to visit relatives was always fun. Xmas was cold. Summer was nice.
  • Options

I agree with you that keeping everyone safe until roads are safe to travel is necessary. 6-8 inches of snow, yes delay school or call it off until the plows roll through. Calling school off when it rains just because they said it might snow, on the other hand, is taking it too far.
    Probably.. but school systems build in snow days into the schedule now so if they don't use them, the kids actually end the school year earlier (at least in VA). So they are more likely to call off school if there is a chance of a safety risk considering the buffer. People are so litigious these days that if there is any sort of accident, the school system will be sued.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Remember when you could dial a local number and not have to use the area code? Or! Remember when you could look at someone's phone number and know the section of town that they lived in? Not so much anymore.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Clock radio with built in phone in my bedroom.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Grab 'em by the pusillanimous?

:whistle:
  • Options
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dankind said:

Is that Double Dribble or Mike Tyson's punchout?

And I thought it was B,A 2x.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

dankind said:

Is that Double Dribble or Mike Tyson's punchout?

And I thought it was B,A 2x.
    Contra

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out used numeric codes.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    www.cluthelee.com