Options

Remember when..

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    deadendp said:

Calling to find out the time.

"At the tone, the time will be....."

I still give the number for time and temperature to annoying store clerks who insist they need a phone number.

Generic products were just black and white with a giant barcode. There was an entire aisle devoted to just generic products.
    In Cleveland where I grew up I believe it was WE 11212
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    673-9811 is still operational and yes, I still give that one out! It was located just off the corner of campus, so I called every morning to see how to dress.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I used to give that number out to creeps that insisted on having my
    Number.. that way I could honestly say I gave them " the time of day."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Figuring out that if your rotary or touch-tone phone was broken, you could rapidly depress the line switch seven times for a seven, ten times for a zero, etc., pausing between each number, and make a successful call that way.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    dankind said:

Figuring out that if your rotary or touch-tone phone was broken, you could rapidly depress the line switch seven times for a seven, ten times for a zero, etc., pausing between each number, and make a successful call that way.

I remember trying that one time, and it actually worked, I was surprised.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

I used to give that number out to creeps that insisted on having my
    Number.. that way I could honestly say I gave them " the time of day."

Nice :rofl:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Prompted by a friend's comment...remember when you had to slave over those fucking tax forms, vs. now and having Turbo Tax?
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

dankind said:

You all know why this is right?
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    This may have already been said, but I remember when PJ actually used to put out music and tour regularly. I miss those days.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    rewinding a cassette to hear my favourite song over and over.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

Prompted by a friend's comment...remember when you had to slave over those fucking tax forms, vs. now and having Turbo Tax?

I heart Turbo Tax. :smile:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

An absolutely beautiful thing you speak of.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299

• Options

rewinding a cassette to hear my favourite song over and over.

Or memorizing the pause lines on a record, so you
    Knew where to set the stylus in order to hear a song repeatedly.
  • Options

Annafalk said:

dankind said:

I think I once knew, but I can't remember right now :)
  • Options

These.
  • Options
    The only Nike shoes were white canvas with the blue swoosh.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I'm not sure how far back we're remembering but I will throw this out there cuz this takes me back. To a happy place. :heart:

https://youtu.be/G6Kspj3OO0s

Also WWF - Undertaker days!
    When America's funniest home videos was funny.
    Home alone!
    My dad hated - but would sit through an episode of Full House just for me.

Lmao if we're going before the 90s - I will always remember a convo I had with my boss. He remembers when his family got their first microwave :lol: I always thought he was too young to have that kind of memory. :lol: remember when microwaves came out??
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

dankind said:

Telegraphs. All telephone lines started out as telegragraph cables. Before voice data had been stumbled upon by AGB. ( sort of).. they dialed out stations to which to send telegraphs using Morse code, which was then converted to typed manuscripts. So that just never changed.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Being too damn lazy to flip the cassette on more than a few epic albums. Had to go back and "relisten" to GNR Lies and Violent Femmes...B sides.
  • Options
    Auto reverse tape decks.
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

dankind said:

Telegraphs. All telephone lines started out as telegragraph cables. Before voice data had been stumbled upon by AGB. ( sort of).. they dialed out stations to which to send telegraphs using Morse code, which was then converted to typed manuscripts. So that just never changed.
    Thank's for taking the time explaining, I have always thought about Morse code as very cool. :)
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

dankind said:

Thank's for taking the time explaining, I have always thought about Morse code as very cool. :)
    I love the sciences in invention. It fascinates me. I can sit for hours pondering how they must have come up with their original hypothesis. But the science behind the telephone, and eventually the television.. just amazes me; what incredible brains to relate such wonder to the world. They ended up being such life altering inventions...
  • Options
    Snow days barely existed? You had to suck it up and go tripping through a foot or two of snow to go to school. Now they seem to cancel or delay school for just a few inches of snow!
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Snow days barely existed? You had to suck it up and go tripping through a foot or two of snow to go to school. Now they seem to cancel or delay school for just a few inches of snow!

In Cleveland??? When I was young, you had to get like 5 inches between 3 AM and 6 AM to have a chance at school cancellation.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    you could go skiing for a whole weekend @Killington and you wouldn't be sore as hell the next few days
  • Options
    rssesq said:

you could go skiing for a whole weekend @Killington and you wouldn't be sore as hell the next few days

The ice at Killington will make you sore no matter what... only ski West...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    deadendp said:

We have had entire days canceled here in western Maryland when it was 45 degrees and raining. But the school board will call it the night before simply because snow is in the forecast. It's absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

deadendp said:

In Cleveland??? When I was young, you had to get like 5 inches between 3 AM and 6 AM to have a chance at school cancellation.
    Akron suburb. Not primary snowbelt. Big difference. My daughter goes to school in the secondary snowbelt.

Lake effect snow screwed stuff up today. We got calls and emails last night warning that school could be closed.