Options

ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444

DavidD said:

8 pages in and no fighting or arguing. I love this thread!!!

It's because PAPPY MAKES US HAPPY!!!
    Nice to see we're not angry drunks.
    I'm more of the "I LOVE YOU MAN" kinda drunk.
    HA! As long as you aren't a close talker!
    LMAO! No not at all.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

DavidD said:

8 pages in and no fighting or arguing. I love this thread!!!

It's because PAPPY MAKES US HAPPY!!!
    Nice to see we're not angry drunks.
    I'm more of the "I LOVE YOU MAN" kinda drunk.
    HA! As long as you aren't a close talker!
    I've been accused of being a close talker once or twice. Still a happy drunk though!
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Love this thread too, it's been quite a journey.

However, after finding out that I'm going to be a father in July, and that I've been laid off for corporate restructuring (my firm lost its biggest client this year), I'm going to have to give up drinking for good. Currently 2 weeks into sobriety and its going better than I could have expected. Unfortunately after the death of my father last year I went way overboard with my drinking, not to the extent that anything horrible happened (other than minor damage to my liver), but it was a wake up call for me.

Anyways, I will likely be selling my collection that includes the complete Buffalo Trace Antique Collection from 2016 (George T. Stagg, William LaRue Weller, Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, and Thomas H. Handy), an additional (second) bottle of the William LaRue Willer (my favourite of BTAC), an Old Rip Van Winkle 10, 4 Stagg Jrs (Batches 3 and 4), and various other bottles.

You can PM me if interested, but I will likely sell them locally as I need to get top dollar for them as being unemployed with a child on the way is a bit terrifying.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear buddy, glad you have a level head and are keeping your priorities in check. im sure things will turn around for you.
    Post edited by DavidD on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    mwplum said:

However, after finding out that I'm going to be a father in July, and that I've been laid off for corporate restructuring (my firm lost its biggest client this year), I'm going to have to give up drinking for good. Currently 2 weeks into sobriety and its going better than I could have expected. Unfortunately after the death of my father last year I went way overboard with my drinking, not to the extent that anything horrible happened (other than minor damage to my liver), but it was a wake up call for me.

Anyways, I will likely be selling my collection that includes the complete Buffalo Trace Antique Collection from 2016 (George T. Stagg, William LaRue Weller, Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, and Thomas H. Handy), an additional (second) bottle of the William LaRue Willer (my favourite of BTAC), an Old Rip Van Winkle 10, 4 Stagg Jrs (Batches 3 and 4), and various other bottles.

You can PM me if interested, but I will likely sell them locally as I need to get top dollar for them as being unemployed with a child on the way is a bit terrifying.

Damn, what a mixed bag of emotions. I'm sorry for your losses but congratulations on the great news of becoming a father. Things will work out and the first sight of your child will make everything feel ok.
    Is that your collection on Craigs list? I was tempted but dont have the 4k right now.
    Cheers
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Congrats and good luck! You'll have to post on here when your son or daughter is born, we'll raise a toast to you!
  • Options
    Page 3??? Come on, we can do better than that. My freshly cracked bottle of Blanton's was GD delicious last night.
  • Options
    I was able to score a backup bottle of corner creek this week, stuff is getting harder to Find. Also, I was able to secure two bottles of the W.L. Weller special reserve. shit sold out in less then a day in Toronto. But I Should be getting them Wednesday or so.
    And my dad just finished distilling some grappa and I will be taking a bottle home with me tonight. This years batch is nice and smooth.
    The old man is getting good with his hooch.
    I think im going to infuse some camomile flowers in with half of it and leave the rest natural. This was a good week for me lol
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DavidD said:

I was able to score a backup bottle of corner creek this week, stuff is getting harder to Find. Also, I was able to secure two bottles of the W.L. Weller special reserve. shit sold out in less then a day in Toronto. But I Should be getting them Wednesday or so.
    And my dad just finished distilling some grappa and I will be taking a bottle home with me tonight. This years batch is nice and smooth.
    I think im going to infuse some camomile flowers in with half of it and leave the rest natural. This was a good week for me lol

See you at the meeting
  • Options
    ^^^^ Thanks for the kind words all, really appreciate the support!

(and yes Horse, good spotting! That is my collection on the Vancouver Craigslist)
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
  • Options

DavidD said:

See you at the meeting
    Haha buck! My old man has been making wine for a long time now. It's a tradition my grandfather brought back with him. He just started about 5-6 years ago with his grappa. Just a few bottles a year. No mass production here lol
    And I'll bring the cookies this time buck.
  • Options
    and I'm more of a pothead buck. So the cookies might be special
  • Options
    Just curious, has anyone tried flavouring their moonshine at all?.
    If so, what flavours did you use?
  • Options
    DavidD said:

I've tasted flavored shine before. I've had peach, strawberry and cherry. They all three had the fruit in them though.
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    DavidD said:

Here, in West Virginia, I have seen and had more flavors than I can remember... Standard fruit flavors such as peach, strawberry, apple/apple cinnamon, lemon, watermelon, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, grape, strawberry-kiwi, and so on. Some with fruit added (quite intoxicating when eaten) and some without. I have seen some experimental shit too...some good, some questionable...such as orange creamsicle, coffee, pumpkin pie, pina colada, lemonade, paw paw, cinnamon, peppermint-watermelon, apple pie, and some crazy variations around the holidays. The list goes on. It's quite the art. (If and when Pearl Jam plays West Virginia, I will share some of my stock...bourbon and craft beers too).
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I've had a number of those you named, B0J. When my dad used to tailgate at WVU games, he'd always take a jar or four. Peach is my all time fave. Grape and blackberry are good. I've had strawberry rhubarb, too.
  • Options

DavidD said:

Here, in West Virginia, I have seen and had more flavors than I can remember... Standard fruit flavors such as peach, strawberry, apple/apple cinnamon, lemon, watermelon, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, grape, strawberry-kiwi, and so on. Some with fruit added (quite intoxicating when eaten) and some without. I have seen some experimental shit too...some good, some questionable...such as orange creamsicle, coffee, pumpkin pie, pina colada, lemonade, paw paw, cinnamon, peppermint-watermelon, apple pie, and some crazy variations around the holidays. The list goes on. It's quite the art. (If and when Pearl Jam plays West Virginia, I will share some of my stock...bourbon and craft beers too).
    I was in Pennington Gap Virginia and they made this stuff everywhere. Lots o fun!

@BRAIN0FJAY are you still petitioning for Morgantown to get a show?
  • Options
    Here you go; excerpted from Shanken News Daily. Happy hunting!:

•In April, Buffalo Trace Distillery (Sazerac) will release Old Rip Van Winkle 25-year-old, the most aged expression of the brand ever bottled. Only 710 bottles will be available. It’s at 50% abv and made from 11 barrels of Bourbon made at Stitzel-Weller distillery in 1989. Whisky Advocate has the full story.
  • Options
    DavidD said:

I've been familiar with several mass market "moonshines" for years. The think you want to note is what they are made out of. Most of the mass market stuff is made from a neutral grain spirit and more similar to vodka than whiskey.

A true moonshine is made from distilled corn.

A brand that I have taken notice to lately is Stillhouse. Comes in a gimmicky metal can instead of a bottle, but the juice is 100% corn distilled whiskey. They have your typical flavors; apple, peach, red hot., and regular However the two I like is coconut and mint choc chip. Combine the 2 together (half and half) and we call it an Almond Joy shot.
  • Options

DavidD said:

Quite a few different flavours there, some some better than others. The spirit that I have is a grappa and is made from the leftovers of the wine grapes ( seeds, stems, and the grape skins. ) not as sweet as a Spirit made from corn. But has a earthy sweetness to it and I was thinking the peach might work out nice with it or pear would work well.
    Camomile grappa is one you can find already infused at liquor stores and is super delicious. I just can't seem to find any bottles. they normally come out around Christmas time and sell out quickly.
    Thanks for the tips and ideas guys! I'll let you know how they turn out in a couple of months.
  • Options

Here you go; excerpted from Shanken News Daily. Happy hunting!:

•In April, Buffalo Trace Distillery (Sazerac) will release Old Rip Van Winkle 25-year-old, the most aged expression of the brand ever bottled. Only 710 bottles will be available. It’s at 50% abv and made from 11 barrels of Bourbon made at Stitzel-Weller distillery in 1989. Whisky Advocate has the full story.

Links?
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    edited February 2017

I am petioning for a show in West Virginia, however I would prefer Charleston. The Charleston Civic Center is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation and should be quite the place once complete.

Here's a link to the 25-year Old Rip. Retails for the very affordable $1800.

http://www.gobourbon.com/25-year-old-van-winkle-bourbon-released-spring/
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options

I am petioning for a show in West Virginia, however I would prefer Charleston. The Charleston Civic Center is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation and should be quite the place once complete.

Here's a link to the 25-year Old Rip. Retails for the very affordable $1800.

http://www.gobourbon.com/25-year-old-van-winkle-bourbon-released-spring/
    I read the story.

How the hell can you have a spirit 2 years older than the 23 that retails for $169 and justify another 1000% more for a bottle?

My only guess is to get rid of re-sellers but this will be like the Black Pearl Louis and just go for astrological amounts of money.
  • Options
    I'll take that lovely bottle of Louis you have on your bar tempo over pappy any day.
  • Options
    DavidD said:

I'll take that lovely bottle of Louis you have on your bar tempo over pappy any day.

The Louis, if you ever have the chance, do it. Amazing cognac. They made a smaller bottle if you are interested.

• Options
    Shit, we should just have a best of every kind of spirit thread :)
  • Options
    I love the Louis mainly for the fact that it helped me pay off a good chunk of my undergrad student loan. After I got out of school, I spent a summer bartending at a restaurant in Vancouver. There was one dude who would come in almost everyday, drink champagne with whoever would sit with him, and then finish it off with a few rounds of Louis (at $175 an ounce!). His bar tab was typically between $1000-5000 and he would tip 15-20%! It was the most outrageous thing I've ever witnessed, and really made me realize that if I ever got that rich, I'd find positive things to do with my money like giving to charities, something that could improve the lives of others. But I sure was thankful for those tips.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
  • Options
    mwplum said:

I love the Louis mainly for the fact that it helped me pay off a good chunk of my undergrad student loan. After I got out of school, I spent a summer bartending at a restaurant in Vancouver. There was one dude who would come in almost everyday, drink champagne with whoever would sit with him, and then finish it off with a few rounds of Louis (at $175 an ounce!). His bar tab was typically between $1000-5000 and he would tip 15-20%! It was the most outrageous thing I've ever witnessed, and really made me realize that if I ever got that rich, I'd find positive things to do with my money like giving to charities, something that could improve the lives of others. But I sure was thankful for those tips.

That is a GREAT story! That's 200-1000 a tip! Holy smokes. He could have just bought a bottle and paid a corking fee and still be ahead!

Shit, we should just have a best of every kind of spirit thread :)

Louis is an amazing cognac but I haven't tried them all, lol. I can care less for Courvoisier though.
  • Options
    What would a starter liquor cabinet kit be made up of?
  • Options

What would a starter liquor cabinet kit be made up of?

You need to hide the good stuff from the hacks. You don't want someone mixing your good bourbon with a damn coke.

That's first thing!
This discussion has been closed.