Options

ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• Options
    So in my cabinet I'd have seagrams 7, 4 roses small batch, jack daniels honey, kettle one, remy vsop, tullamore dew single, bacardi and bombay saphire.

That is for the masses.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

What would a starter liquor cabinet kit be made up of?

You need to hide the good stuff from the hacks. You don't want someone mixing your good bourbon with a damn coke.

That's first thing!
    yeah, that goes up high in the back
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

You need to hide the good stuff from the hacks. You don't want someone mixing your good bourbon with a damn coke.

That's first thing!
    Damn good advice there!

Secondly, I'd say have a few common mixers. Vermouth, triple sec, grenadine, & bitters are good starters.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Wheat Whiskey, Vodka, Rum, Single Malt Scotch, Blended Scotch, Tequila, Irish Whiskey, Canadian Whiskey, Gin, Kahlua, Baileys, Amaretto, Absinthe

Probably left something off.
  • Options

So in my cabinet I'd have seagrams 7, 4 roses small batch, jack daniels honey, kettle one, remy vsop, tullamore dew single, bacardi and bombay saphire.

That is for the masses.

I tell my friends that any thing that is on the back bar is fair game. Stay out of my liquor cabinet.
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    edited February 2017
    I normally split my bar into two sections, and keep the cheap stuff with the mix, and only put out a few bottles of the good stuff.
    Finally cracked open my bottle of W.L.Weller. Great stuff, I can see why it's a popular bourbon. I really get the sweetness of the corn In this one.
  • Options
    Almost on page 3 BUMP!
    So last night after work I made some sausages. And was thinking what flavours to add. so I added a few oz of makers mark to my mix. It was good, but next time I'm going to try a different bourbon.
    I think the w.l. weller would complement pork a little bit more.
    does anyone marinate in bourbon? (pork, chicken, beef, lamb, fish)

• Options
    Is Bookers worth 100?
  • Options
    DavidD said:

Almost on page 3 BUMP!
    So last night after work I made some sausages. And was thinking what flavours to add. so I added a few oz of makers mark to my mix. It was good, but next time I'm going to try a different bourbon.
    I think the w.l. weller would complement pork a little bit more.
    does anyone marinate in bourbon? (pork, chicken, beef, lamb, fish)

I would try that :)
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Stocked up today. Got some Weller's, Macallan 12 and another bottle of Eagle Rare (the only bottle in town basically). So now I have 3 bottles of Eagle to sip on until they become more readily available around here again.
  • Options
    ME68701ME68701 Hershey, PA Posts: 103

Is Bookers worth 100?

I'd say yes, but its one of those things where you're in the liquor store and you see a bottle of Blantons for $60 and Bookers for close to $100. I'd take the Blantons all day.
  • Options
    ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

I'd say yes, but its one of those things where you're in the liquor store and you see a bottle of Blantons for $60 and Bookers for close to $100. I'd take the Blantons all day.
    I read somewhere how It used to be 60....
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

Still $60 here in Fayetteville AR
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    bflynn1 said:

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

Still $60 here in Michigan. I thought I read somewhere, that they weren't upping the price for another year or two.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

bflynn1 said:

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

Still $60 here in Michigan. I thought I read somewhere, that they weren't upping the price for another year or two.
    I live in Kalamazoo
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

Still $60+/- in WV. They backed off their price hike from what I understand. IMO, worth $60...yes...worth $100...no.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    The purported price hike from $60 to $100 was set to take effect as of the beginning of this year. It caused massive debate amongst the bourbon community, see: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/did-bookers-bourbon-just-get-40-dollars-better.html

Like BrainofJay, I heard they may be backing off that massive hike and proceeding with a more incremental increase. In BC where I live it's still $80 CAD, which is essentially $60 USD.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

Stocked up today. Got some Weller's, Macallan 12 and another bottle of Eagle Rare (the only bottle in town basically). So now I have 3 bottles of Eagle to sip on until they become more readily available around here again.

I picked up another Eagle Rare as well, I have even recommended it as a lowered priced alternative to a friend. :)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,232
    mwplum said:

The purported price hike from $60 to $100 was set to take effect as of the beginning of this year. It caused massive debate amongst the bourbon community, see: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/did-bookers-bourbon-just-get-40-dollars-better.html

Like BrainofJay, I heard they may be backing off that massive hike and proceeding with a more incremental increase. In BC where I live it's still $80 CAD, which is essentially $60 USD.

Where do you get it for $80? I paid $100 at bclc and they have been out since christmas.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Get bookers for $85 at the lcbo.
    I Haven't found eagle rare in a while, I think I missed some at Christmas. Hoping to find a bottle on my drive to Florida this month
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    DavidD said:

I Haven't found eagle rare in a while, I think I missed some at Christmas. Hoping to find a bottle on my drive to Florida this month

Every liquor shop I go in has none of the bourbons mentioned above, none. They have waiting lists for their allotments.

Funny that I found a bottle of Pappy but none of these...
  • Options

DavidD said:

Every liquor shop I go in has none of the bourbons mentioned above, none. They have waiting lists for their allotments.

Sounds like a distribution or allocation issue for you. If your liquor store has Jim Beam white label or even something like Makers Mark, they should be able to get Bookers. Although there has been inventory issues since Bookers Rye was named whiskey of the year.

Same with Weller or Eagle Rare, if your liquor store carries Blanton's or even Buffalo Trace they should be able to the former.

Your liquor store's buyer just needs to ask his distributor for these products.

If you are shopping at more of a chain store or grocery, it is an allocation issue.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    Horse2345 said:

mwplum said:

Where do you get it for $80? I paid $100 at bclc and they have been out since christmas.
    Maybe they just got a restock? http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/569061

Also, I keep forgetting that their price as shown no longer includes tax like it used to, so $81.99 very well might be $100 CAD after taxes. Still significantly less than the $100 USD + tax the manufacturer (Beam) was proposing to increase it to this year.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options

DavidD said:

Sounds like a distribution or allocation issue for you. If your liquor store has Jim Beam white label or even something like Makers Mark, they should be able to get Bookers. Although there has been inventory issues since Bookers Rye was named whiskey of the year.

Same with Weller or Eagle Rare, if your liquor store carries Blanton's or even Buffalo Trace they should be able to the former.

If you are shopping at more of a chain store or grocery, it is an allocation issue.
    High end liquor stores. Blanton's and Buffalo Trace are never on the shelves. I do find the occasional Tillamore Dew 16 yo and Four Rose small batch. Everything else seems to be gobbled up instantly.
  • Options

DavidD said:

High end liquor stores. Blanton's and Buffalo Trace are never on the shelves. I do find the occasional Tillamore Dew 16 yo and Four Rose small batch. Everything else seems to be gobbled up instantly.
    That simplifies it...its allocation. Your stores aren't getting enough product for the local demand.

Sometimes it's an issue of the supplier being out of stock, just not enough of that aged juice to meet demand. That's been Bookers issue lately and Buffalo Trace and Blantons a year or two ago. However isn't the case right now, as they are pretty readily found in other major markets.
  • Options

DavidD said:

That simplifies it...its allocation. Your stores aren't getting enough product for the local demand.

Sometimes it's an issue of the supplier being out of stock, just not enough of that aged juice to meet demand. That's been Bookers issue lately and Buffalo Trace and Blantons a year or two ago. However isn't the case right now, as they are pretty readily found in other major markets.
    This has been the case for a bit now. I may have to travel to find something good...
  • Options
    im thinking that the bars in Toronto get all the insider info on when the hard to get bottles are release at the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario)
    I normally call small towns surrounding Toronto that show that they've released a few bottles. And if I'm lucky enough they can send it to the LCBO closest to where I live.
    I had a bottle of KOVAL Single barrel in my hand the other day. Just wasn't sure it was worth the $100 Canadian.
    Anyone in or out of Chicago try this bourbon?
    Is it worth the price tag ?
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040

bflynn1 said:

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

I live in Kalamazoo
    Let's party! I live in Webberville, MI. I'll be at the Soundgarden show at the Fox.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,232
    mwplum said:

Horse2345 said:

mwplum said:

Maybe they just got a restock? http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/569061

Also, I keep forgetting that their price as shown no longer includes tax like it used to, so $81.99 very well might be $100 CAD after taxes. Still significantly less than the $100 USD + tax the manufacturer (Beam) was proposing to increase it to this year.
    Ahh thought you were talking about Blantons my bad
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    DavidD said:

im thinking that the bars in Toronto get all the insider info on when the hard to get bottles are release at the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario)
    I normally call small towns surrounding Toronto that show that they've released a few bottles. And if I'm lucky enough they can send it to the LCBO closest to where I live.
    I had a bottle of KOVAL Single barrel in my hand the other day. Just wasn't sure it was worth the $100 Canadian.
    Anyone in or out of Chicago try this bourbon?
    Is it worth the price tag ?

I am in Chicago, and it is absolutely not worth that price, IMO. I don't think any of their whiskeys are good. People went crazy around here for a bit because it was local. For some reason, there continues to be this mindset that local has to be good...but that's usually not the case.

Only reason to pay that premium is if you are looking to acquire a bunch bourbons for a collection from different sources. Very much like collecting PJ Merch.
This discussion has been closed.