Why all the killing?

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,304
    I want to know why it's always all or none?

Why isnt each circumstance considered separate from the whole?

Why do police continue to go for their guns so quickly in too many situations?

Why does the black community ignore the criminal history of every black person shot by police?

Why do police officers always support the cops regardless of the situation/data/facts?

Why do good cops continue to let bad/racist cops exist?

Why is the family unit so broken in our poor communities?

Why do we describe guys that have 5 kids by 5 women as fathers? They aren't. They are assholes.

Why does no one care that before being shot many of those involved were engaging in illegal activity? And why do others think that engaging in any illegal activity means it's ok if it ends up in death?

Why are black people guilty until proven innocent by some? Why are cops guilty until proven innocent by some? And vice versa? Why do we only find the parts of a story that help out own personal agenda and latch on to them, ignoring the rest?

Why is it that on one hand people fight for the right for every citizen to have some serious fire power, and then when 1 is caught having a gun they think that is justification alone to shoot them?

And most recently:

Why do BLM advocates post all over Facebook about the killings of black peoples by cops one day and then are completely silent when cops are killed?

Why do people one day ignore the fact that police have killed another couple of black people in a suspect manner and then the next they all of a sudden care so much about police killed?

And why do people think you need to address everything on Facebook and if you don't you are part of the problem? When did Facebook ever solve any real issue? Twitter? Go ahead a break down a complex issue in 140 characters and try not to sound like a 1 sided asshat, can't be done.

And who is going to fix this?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    In response to some posts I believe Americans have pride in being an American. I believe there is a sense of community overall. In many protests and movements by the black community there usually are a number of other ethnicities and races that participate in support. Mental illness is something this country has yet to get a grasp on. This is glaringly obvious in the fact that our troops who returned home after numerous tours in a hostile theatre cannot get the proper support and help that they deserve. If our own troops cannot get the support, the average citizen doesn't have much more of a chance. The distrust in government comes from the present and past. The government has given the people the reasons they need to have distrust. Elected officials are supposed to be by the people, for the people, but unfortunately it's more like for the invested interests, by the invested interests.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,464

Why does the black community ignore the criminal history of every black person shot by police?

Why do police officers always support the cops regardless of the situation/data/facts?

Why do we describe guys that have 5 kids by 5 women as fathers? They aren't. They are assholes.

Why does no one care that before being shot many of those involved were engaging in illegal activity? And why do others think that engaging in any illegal activity means it's ok if it ends up in death?

Why are black people guilty until proven innocent by some? Why are cops guilty until proven innocent by some? And vice versa? Why do we only find the parts of a story that help out own personal agenda and latch on to them, ignoring the rest?

Why is it that on one hand people fight for the right for every citizen to have some serious fire power, and then when 1 is caught having a gun they think that is justification alone to shoot them?

And most recently:

Why do BLM advocates post all over Facebook about the killings of black peoples by cops one day and then are completely silent when cops are killed?

Why do people one day ignore the fact that police have killed another couple of black people in a suspect manner and then the next they all of a sudden care so much about police killed?

And why do people think you need to address everything on Facebook and if you don't you are part of the problem? When did Facebook ever solve any real issue? Twitter? Go ahead a break down a complex issue in 140 characters and try not to sound like a 1 sided asshat, can't be done.

Outstanding questions all, Cincybearcat. Thank you!

Sorry G, I can't come up with your song. A real puzzler!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• g under p said:

Free said:

This is a great thread!

G - is it this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SLi7Ljcy6n8

Nope, the story behind why I would say.....where do we go from here? I was around 11 or 12 and when I would get in serious trouble with my mother and knew I was going to get it that's what I would say. I would say WE in that I would refer to me, myself and I was going to get a whooping big time. What was I going to do to get out of this mess I'm in.

It's kind of coming back to me even though I've goggled it and I get today type songs. The next line went something like ...... ...... ..... And it rhymed with "here" ex fear or dear or clear. Help this is driving me NUTS!

Peace
    Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckgGUhCuEJI
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,396

Ok Brian, you want questions? As an Irish girl, your culture is completely incomprehensible to me, so here are my questions regarding America

Why does mental illness lead to violence and murder to a far greater extent than in other Western countries?

because of our healthcare system and laws

Why is there such distrust of government and figures of authority in general amongst citizens?
    because the media only portrays authority in a negative light. i think the distrust is overblown and most people in their daily lives don't think this way

Why do citizens seem to have no faith in the ability of law enforcement to protect them and believe the answer to this is to have a fully armed citizenry?
    see above

Is there any true sense of community in America? Do you feel a bond of kinship with your fellow American that gives their life added value to you?
    yes i think some do but often it gets lost in our daily lives. in our toughest times us Americans pull together wonderfully though.

Does it mean anything to be American or has the lack of shared heritage led to a fractured society where your fellow American means no more to you than a citizen of any other nation?
    absolutely it still does. i think we treat ourselves like brothers. sometimes we fight but if someone from the outside wants to question us or challenge us our bond shows through. we are bound together when needed.

Do Americans see violence and premature death as simply a part of modern life? Have you become so desensitised to it as to barely register news stories concerning such incidents?
    no, and the problem is highly overblown by the media. we are still a very safe country. crime is as low as it's ever been here.

Do Americans ever look at their country and culture through objective eyes and view it in relation to other countries? Do they see aspects of other countries which they envy and do they recognise the faults of their own country?
    no, unfortunately one of our biggest faults is many people just think how great we are. every day americans go about their lives and mostly don't think about the rest of the world.

Do Americans believe your country has the ability to change? If you have no faith in your government, what possible hope for you have for bringing positive change?
    yes absolutely. one of the greatest strengths is how flexible our laws are that allow change. we have undergone some very nice societal changes over the past decade or so. we may not always change quickly but we can adapt. one of the greatest strengths of the millennial generation is how tolerant they are of all types of people. my generation is never quite as tolerant but many of us are coming around.

If indeed there is no faith in government, what exactly is it that the average American wants? Is there actually any clear view on the kind of country you want to have?
    most every day americans just want to go to work, have a family and frankly not be bothered. our lives are pretty damn good here despite what some might have you believe.

There seems to be an acknowledgement of a serious problem with racism. In a country where everyone but the native Americans can trace their roots to a foreign country, how can this be? How can a supposedly advanced country have such horrifically outdated views towards black people in particular?
    it's been built into the culture and is not something that will change over night. too much ignorance and separation at this point. it's gotten better since the 60s or 70s but it's a slow change. everyone has to be more adaptable including the black community. there are many problems in the black communities in America and not all are due to racism. they must find a way to stop their children from being raised without their father's being involved. too many are brought up in broken homes. it's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken somehow.

When parents get that first sight of their newborn child and as they watch them grow up, do they envisage them buying a gun in preparation for the eventuality of them being the victim of a violent crime? Does this thought not sicken them and mobilise the nation to change their children's future?
    uhh no. 90% of American's want gun control. some people are into guns but don't let the lobbyists, NRA, Media and some people here make you feel like America is a land of gun toting outlaws on every street corner. it's not.

I could go on but I'd likely piss people off...

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,165

And most recently:

I can tell you I do not like FB I believe I'm up over 200 notications. What and who are notifying me I'll never know. Just today I particularly eyed officers around town just to see any differences I saw none and many appeared cool and calm which to me is a good sign. I make sure to make eye contact and greet them even in the grocery store in a way to thank them for being there and doing what they do protect and serve the public.

Oh that damn song is that song the second line went something like *..... ...... Is the way that's clear* then something like *still looking for ......* There's more but it goes in and out I need a nap and I betcha it will come back to me, later.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    Don't go, g! I think asterisk got the song right!
    Oh G, I totally understand the frustration of not being able to identify a song when one little snippet is tickling the brain!

Here's a question that rattle around in my brain from time to time:

With all we know, with all the many years of learning how the brain works, with all we know about the laws of ecology what is needed to maintain a healthy world, with all the understanding we possess of how to educate well and teach in a constructive manner, why has our parenting/school education not created a generation who are capable of critical thinking, who have learned to be accepting rather than prejudiced, who have found ways to include the needs of humans while respecting the balance of nature and who have come to understanding that peace is far more reasonable than war? Or have we and I just don't know it yet?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Nice clip, Asterisk! Not even lip-synced which was unusual for TV back then.

I did a lot of searching, g under p, but I didn't even think of David Essex. The 2 I thought of were Questions by Buffalo Springfield, which Stephen Stills incorporated into CSNY's Carry On.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 414
    deagator3 said:

Here are some facts - almost 3/4 of police shootings (72 percent) in 2015 involved a race other than black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

Now, how many violent, high risk altercations do police officers have every year? I'd imagine the majority of those end peacefully. Sometimes the officers have no choice, and yes, sometimes the officers make mistakes and a tragedy occurs. You are dealing with high risk, high stress situations; human error will play a factor. But unfortunately that doesn't fit into a inflammatory narrative.

Which means 28% of police shootings DO involve blacks. Blacks comprise about 13% of the population in the US.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2
    Man I just woke up and it is hot. Got it I think with some rest of me brain *Rock On* has to the song. I don't know who sang it but that's the damn song. *......prettiest girl I've ever seen, Jimmy Dean* a very weird song but it was stuck somewhere in the recesses of me brain. :smiles:

I'll get back our question of the day with all the killings later I must get a haircut at 5pm sharp.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

Man I just woke up and it is hot. Got it I think with some rest of me brain *Rock On* has to the song. I don't know who sang it but that's the damn song. *......prettiest girl I've ever seen, Jimmy Dean* a very weird song but it was stuck somewhere in the recesses of me brain. :smiles:

I'll get back our question of the day with all the killings later I must get a haircut at 5pm sharp.

Peace

Good gawd! I know that song of course but never knew it was Def Leppard. Learn something new every day. Thanks G!

• Here is nice quote that I think is a great question.
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life. See yourself in others, then whom can you hurt?"

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

Good gawd! I know that song of course but never knew it was Def Leppard. Learn something new every day. Thanks G!
    They did that song? Last time I checked, it was a hit for Michael Damien in 1989 and on the bonus disc of Smashing Pumpkins greatest hits.
    Posted earlier today by Asterisk on the street.....

Is this it?

• EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

They did that song? Last time I checked, it was a hit for Michael Damien in 1989 and on the bonus disc of Smashing Pumpkins greatest hits.

It was a hit long, long before Damien in 89. David Essex originally wrote and recorded it in 1973.
    edited July 2016
    Good job figuring out the song, asterisk!
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    edited July 2016

brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

They did, only now that I listened to it again, this isn't the version made was a radio hit. In any case, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeDr6SeLZsA

Posted earlier today by Asterisk on the street.....

Is this it?

Yes that's the song even my younger sister remembers me singing song cause she knew I was in big trouble. I don't what Brian was talking about with Def Lepperd. I told ya the song was weird or stood out......there's hardly any guitar or bass.

So I went to my barber and we talked about the recent shootings. He was saying these shootings against police was going to continue. I was like what you talking about.....he said it will continue to the point where marshal law will be declared. I told him you must be crazy.......but on a side note could something like that be declared if tragedies like in Dallas continues?

Peace

^^^ Good question, G, and an unsettling prospect.

A customer came in the store and asked if we had the new book about people hating cop. I told him we are all used and hadn't seen anything like that recently. He kind of grunted and walked out. I sincerely felt sorry for the guy. He looked depressed and angry. I wondered what he was thinking, how he felt, what his take on things were.

I did some research on that book and found indications that it sounds rather divisive. One article seems to infer that it goes so far as to blames Obama for what is going on (sounds familiar?)

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437610/war-cops-comes-dallas

So my question is, Why are so many so rigorously trying to make everything so (excuse the expression) black and white? Why such great effort to divide us? And what can be gained from that?

• Why when no one can speak they point you towards music?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Why when no one can speak they point you towards music?

Why do some come off as an ass at times?

Who knows.

I can get on board with music saying / reflecting what we're unable to at the moment.

Shit, anyone who loves music would get that...I think.
    hedonist said:

Who knows.

I can get on board with music saying / reflecting what we're unable to at the moment.

My God an ass would make one butt ugly hat. Just thinking about it even... :lol:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Who knows.

My God an ass would make one butt ugly hat. Just thinking about it even... :lol:
    Not sure what you mean here, B.

Haha?
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Who knows.

Not sure what you mean here, B.

Haha?
    I'm dying laughing... and thinking I need new glasses.

You said, "Why do some come off as an ass at times?"

But I read it as, "Why do some come off as an ass hat at times?"

WHOOPS! :lol:

Well, same difference.

An ass with or without a hat is still an ass, at least to me. But give him a fedora or ten-gallon one. Decoration.

Glad you got a laugh out of what I said / meant.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Free said:

Yes, that certainly nailed it, so to speak. Yay!

^^^ Not THAT'S funny! No way would my black cat Annie let any dog butt get near her head! Our store cat, Edward, on the other hand, is a Russian Blue- looks a lot like the one pictured above. They seem to be a very tolerant breed. I accidentally stepped lightly (thank goodness) on Edward today and he just kind of looked up at me and did a cat groan like, "Watch it there, bubba."

brianlux said:

^^^ Good question, G, and an unsettling prospect.

A customer came in the store and asked if we had the new book about people hating cop. I told him we are all used and hadn't seen anything like that recently. He kind of grunted and walked out. I sincerely felt sorry for the guy. He looked depressed and angry. I wondered what he was thinking, how he felt, what his take on things were.

I did some research on that book and found indications that it sounds rather divisive. One article seems to infer that it goes so far as to blames Obama for what is going on (sounds familiar?)

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437610/war-cops-comes-dallas

So my question is, Why are so many so rigorously trying to make everything so (excuse the expression) black and white? Why such great effort to divide us? And what can be gained from that?

Yes he went on to say with the president declaring marshal law he continues as president until the declaration is lifted. I looked at him to say what have you been smoking and where could he have gotten that idea. The recent uprise in shootings with police is certainly on people's minds I've never seen anything like this with such unrest. Maybe the looting in the 1977 blackout in NYC, it had to be in the billions in that destruction.

Peace