Why all the killing?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
We all have reactions to, and most of us have opinions with regard to the many various killings that are the subject of all the numerous reports we've read and seemingly endless threads we posted on here. But maybe instead of simply responding, perhaps it is time to start asking the right question, some of the answers to which might lead to solutions. Good detective work, good science, good research, all start with asking the right questions. So let's see some good questions that might lead to some useful answers as to how to lessen all the killing going on, not just in Dallas, not just in the US, but all over.

Here's the question that came to my mind today:

If black people in America were not being killed without reason by some (emphasis some) law enforcement officers or killed when other measures could have been taken first, would the tragic shooting deaths of five police officers who we're just doing their job in Dallas on 7/7/16 have occurred? (Don't read between the lines. I'm just asking the question.)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• deagator3deagator3 Posts: 76
    Here are some facts - almost 3/4 of police shootings (72 percent) in 2015 involved a race other than black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

Now, how many violent, high risk altercations do police officers have every year? I'd imagine the majority of those end peacefully. Sometimes the officers have no choice, and yes, sometimes the officers make mistakes and a tragedy occurs. You are dealing with high risk, high stress situations; human error will play a factor. But unfortunately that doesn't fit into a inflammatory narrative.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Because we're human.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Brian, to answer your simple question: No, this specific event would not have occurred were it not for the perceived injust murder of a number of black Americans. There is a clear and direct correlation and obvious cause and effect

That is the simple answer to a simple question
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    Too many answers, not enough question! :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    The question on my mind has to do with whether or not it is possible for there to be a shift in the American attitude that not only do we have a right to our opinions, but also have a right that our opinions be...right? I read the posts from people who live in other countries as they try to explain other avenues of thinking and we just go on explaining our side of things instead of listening. Do any other Americans feel that way when reading posts ,especially in AMT? Americans are hard-headed, are we not?

The question on my mind has to do with whether or not it is possible for there to be a shift in the American attitude that not only do we have a right to our opinions, but also have a right that our opinions be...right? I read the posts from people who live in other countries as they try to explain other avenues of thinking and we just go on explaining our side of things instead of listening. Do any other Americans feel that way when reading posts ,especially in AMT? Americans are hard-headed, are we not?

Thanks for understanding the thread concept and excellent question, OffSheGoes. We Americans don't always listen well and listening seems like a great place to start to make peace among ourselves and our neighbors. How can we make that happen?

edited July 2016
    Ok Brian, you want questions? As an Irish girl, your culture is completely incomprehensible to me, so here are my questions regarding America

Why does mental illness lead to violence and murder to a far greater extent than in other Western countries?

Why is there such distrust of government and figures of authority in general amongst citizens?

Why do citizens seem to have no faith in the ability of law enforcement to protect them and believe the answer to this is to have a fully armed citizenry?

Is there any true sense of community in America? Do you feel a bond of kinship with your fellow American that gives their life added value to you?

Does it mean anything to be American or has the lack of shared heritage led to a fractured society where your fellow American means no more to you than a citizen of any other nation?

Do Americans see violence and premature death as simply a part of modern life? Have you become so desensitised to it as to barely register news stories concerning such incidents?

Do Americans ever look at their country and culture through objective eyes and view it in relation to other countries? Do they see aspects of other countries which they envy and do they recognise the faults of their own country?

Do Americans believe your country has the ability to change? If you have no faith in your government, what possible hope for you have for bringing positive change?

If indeed there is no faith in government, what exactly is it that the average American wants? Is there actually any clear view on the kind of country you want to have?

There seems to be an acknowledgement of a serious problem with racism. In a country where everyone but the native Americans can trace their roots to a foreign country, how can this be? How can a supposedly advanced country have such horrifically outdated views towards black people in particular?

When parents get that first sight of their newborn child and as they watch them grow up, do they envisage them buying a gun in preparation for the eventuality of them being the victim of a violent crime? Does this thought not sicken them and mobilise the nation to change their children's future?

I could go on but I'd likely piss people off...
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on

Ok Brian, you want questions? As an Irish girl, your culture is completely incomprehensible to me, so here are my questions regarding America

Why does mental illness lead to violence and murder to a far greater extent than in other Western countries?

Why is there such distrust of government and figures of authority in general amongst citizens?

Why do citizens seem to have no faith in the ability of law enforcement to protect them and believe the answer to this is to have a fully armed citizenry?

Is there any true sense of community in America? Do you feel a bond of kinship with your fellow American that gives their life added value to you?

Does it mean anything to be American or has the lack of shared heritage led to a fractured society where your fellow American means no more to you than a citizen of any other nation?

Do Americans see violence and premature death as simply a part of modern life? Have you become so desensitised to it as to barely register news stories concerning such incidents?

Do Americans ever look at their country and culture through objective eyes and view it in relation to other countries? Do they see aspects of other countries which they envy and do they recognise the faults of their own country?

Do Americans believe your country has the ability to change? If you have no faith in your government, what possible hope for you have for bringing positive change?

If indeed there is no faith in government, what exactly is it that the average American wants? Is there actually any clear view on the kind of country you want to have?

There seems to be an acknowledgement of a serious problem with racism. In a country where everyone but the native Americans can trace their roots to a foreign country, how can this be? How can a supposedly advanced country have such horrifically outdated views towards black people in particular?

When parents get that first sight of their newborn child and as they watch them grow up, do they envisage them buying a gun in preparation for the eventuality of them being the victim of a violent crime? Does this thought not sicken them and mobilise the nation to change their children's future?

Let us be pissed off for a while jnimhaoileoin. We are resilient. And let's hope that if we are pissed of by these excellent questions, eventually we will begin to think about them and perhaps we will take your questions seriously enough to find the answers to which they might lead. This is exactly the kind of stuff we Americans (and probably other first world people's) would do well to ponder.

Thank you!

Well, I just want to thank you brianlux, because this thread is a great opportunity to develop those listening skills we just spoke of! We just got some great questions to ponder. We have a place to start. :)

brianlux said:

Let us be pissed off for a while jnimhaoileoin. We are resilient. And let's hope that if we are pissed of by these excellent questions, eventually we will begin to think about them and perhaps we will take your questions seriously enough to find the answers to which they might lead. This is exactly the kind of stuff we Americans (and probably other first world people's) would do well to ponder.

Thank you!
    My brother and his family live in Virginia, so my concern for America is not simply the abstract interest of a remote observer. From a psychological and anthropological point of view, I am also interested in the reasons why the country is the way it is. Could it even be that this is the fate of countries the size of America, Russia and China? I honestly think that a sense of community and kinship is a key factor in the comparitive peace of most European countries. We are far slower to consider violence against a fellow countryman or woman because we are more united as a nation. It's 4.30am here so I'm in danger of going off on a rambling soliloquy here...

Well, I just want to thank you brianlux, because this thread is a great opportunity to develop those listening skills we just spoke of! We just got some great questions to ponder. We have a place to start. :)

:plus_one:

brianlux said:

Thank you!
    My brother and his family live in Virginia, so my concern for America is not simply the abstract interest of a remote observer. From a psychological and anthropological point of view, I am also interested in the reasons why the country is the way it is. Could it even be that this is the fate of countries the size of America, Russia and China? I honestly think that a sense of community and kinship is a key factor in the comparitive peace of most European countries. We are far slower to consider violence against a fellow countryman or woman because we are more united as a nation. It's 4.30am here so I'm in danger of going off on a rambling soliloquy here...
    Wow, great point. So maybe scaling back, being more community focused would go along way. Food for thought!

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,167
    Good morning all, I have not read through this thread or even Brian's original post. I just saw the title and a line that I saw briefly last night from another thread and it stuck with through the night at work.....that line is......
    Where do we go from here? It sounds like a line from a lyric from long ago song in the 70's that I used to say.

Ok, where do we go from here....? I have a thought process of if we have a problem come up with a solution, some may make sense some may not. I'll tackle this problem which is large from the black prospective. Clearly what that young man did in killing those police officers in revenge/anger ISIN'T the solution. What will probably come from those shootings will be officers who may not hesitate to protect themselves and their fellow officers. A officer may say "don't you move" and just an eye blink and he may feel threatened and that doesn't matter if you are black or white. So the end result of that shooting affects us all.

So solutions....if at sometime in your experiences you have been through police brutality or profiling BECOME part of that problem. What I mean is become a police officer, probation officer or a transit officer. Then do so with complete integrity by that I mean if one of you fellow officers is clearly doing something unlawful have the courage to speak up, end it or go to your superiors. I know this very very difficult which probably takes far more courage than Ali refusing to fight a war in Vietnam. However, sometimes in this life it takes ONE then another then another to break this divide that seems to get further and further between races. In time the community will look up to you and may say that man or woman is trying to make a positive difference that benefits us all in the end.

Another solution.....if in your past you have come across injustice in the court or falsely accused of a crime become a lawyer.....encourage your children to become lawyers. Do so with extreme INTEGRITY to put forth as an example of one who is there to preserve justice and put an end to the injustices we ALL may face from time to time.

I'd rather try concepts such as these rather than violence with force, it gets us nowhere. In fact it ends up putting us all backwards to a time in American history where things race wise was far worse. America does not ever need to go there been there done that.....lets expound on positive things/solutions to move this country forward so we can live in harmony and peace.

As far as a white perspective crap my brain hurts I'm STILL trying to figure out what song that rock lyric comes from......Where Do We Go From Here? Where's Brian or Who Princess when one needs them?

Peace to all.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Great ideas, g under p. :lightbulb:

Why isn't there more support and less critiquing from whites when it comes to black protests? What I mean by that is, if we can all agree that Black Lives Matter, even if only under the blanket statement that All Lives Matter... why can't there be a white movement on behalf of black lives? Out of fear of repercussions? Welcome to their world.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    This is a great thread!

G - is it this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SLi7Ljcy6n8
  • Why can't we all just get along?
    My question is: How does America turn around the collective apathy towards one another and induce collective empathy and love? Our media uses fear for control, we need to stop the collective fear and bring about love.

Great ideas, g under p. :lightbulb:

Why isn't there more support and less critiquing from whites when it comes to black protests? What I mean by that is, if we can all agree that Black Lives Matter, even if only under the blanket statement that All Lives Matter... why can't there be a white movement on behalf of black lives? Out of fear of repercussions? Welcome to their world.

Along the lines of what I'm thinking! There needs to be more empathy and understanding, less division and looking at a group of people as 'different' when we are all the same - humans. No one is better than another. We need to help, not judge and oppress.
    ^^It's like we've read each other's minds. :)

^^It's like we've read each other's minds. :)

:)
    Free said:

This is a great thread!

G - is it this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SLi7Ljcy6n8

Nope, the story behind why I would say.....where do we go from here? I was around 11 or 12 and when I would get in serious trouble with my mother and knew I was going to get it that's what I would say. I would say WE in that I would refer to me, myself and I was going to get a whooping big time. What was I going to do to get out of this mess I'm in.

It's kind of coming back to me even though I've goggled it and I get today type songs. The next line went something like ...... ...... ..... And it rhymed with "here" ex fear or dear or clear. Help this is driving me NUTS!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

That was one of the songs that came up when I goggled it. It was not a band I think some rockstar like Joe Walsh somebody like that and the song stood out for all others. This is early to mid 70's.

Peace

May the force be with you. Sorry it wasn't the right one. Brian or WhoP will be here soon.
    I thought this belongs in this thread too. A good place to start:
    Free said:

'It's Not Us vs. Them'
    One police chief's humble solution to violence.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/its-not-us-vs-them/490493/

From the tiny town of Kenyon, Minnesota, Police Chief Lee Sjolander has a message for the 12,000 other police districts across the country.

Writing from his department’s Facebook page this morning, he advocates a humble role of public servitude that is antithetical to the toxic masculinity with which some police departments have been infected. “If I were your chief,” he writes, “and we worked for the same agency, serving the same great community, I would attend roll call, and here is what I would say”:

We have calls for service that we need to respond to. We have a grateful public that needs us, we have responsibilities. Yes, there are those out here who do not like us, or what we represent. It's been that way long before I or you became officers, and it will be that way long after we're gone.

I, as well as the public we serve have certain expectations, and we would all like them met when you can.

Here are just a few...

We expect you to be kind, we expect you to be fair, we expect you to be professional, and we expect you to do the best you can on every call for service.

We expect you to know the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law, and when to use your best discretion.

We expect you to leave people better than you found them when you can, and never take away someone’s dignity.

We expect you to be well-trained, and to know when, and when not to apply your training.

We expect you to be human. That means it's ok to laugh, cry, and be scared at times.

I want you to remember why you chose to answer this public service calling. I hope it was to be part of something bigger than yourself, I hope it was to serve the public that we love, and I hope it was to build relationships with coworkers, as well as our public.

I hope you chose this calling because you love having a front row seat into the lives of people, love problem solving, and know that what you do makes your family and friends proud.

Yes, we are all sharing in some dark times right now. But, we still expect you to be brilliant at the basics and do your job to the best of your abilities. ...

I expect you to patrol your areas with a smile on your face, kindness in your heart, calmness in your soul, and a wave to those you see. I expect you to get out of your patrol car and visit. I want you to listen to the compliments, the concerns, take them all in, and remember, it's not "us vs. them"

I expect you to show others that we are better than these tragedies, and we are striving to be better in so many ways.

I expect you to be safe at work, and at home. I hope you visit with your family openly about the current state of our nation, and how if we give into fear, violence, propaganda, etc. we will not be part of the solution.

If you or another member of our public service family is struggling, I expect you to get help, and I expect you to help others. I promise you, there is no shame in seeking help and being well.

I, as well as so many others are here for you. If you need me, I will be just a phone call, or radio call away.

I truly appreciate, and love each and everyone of you.

Stay safe,

Lee
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2016
    Ah, fuck it.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    g under p said:

That was one of the songs that came up when I goggled it. It was not a band I think some rockstar like Joe Walsh somebody like that and the song stood out for all others. This is early to mid 70's.

Peace

Ack! I'm trying but nothing so far. Now it's going to drive me crazy till I think of it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    brianlux said:

Too many answers, not enough question! :smile:

I love this idea in a world where we don't ask enough questions. One of my mottos is to question everything. They are simply not enough questions being asked, but too many answers given.
  • Questions rise and answers fall.
    Let the games begin.
    Free said:

I thought this belongs in this thread too. A good place to start:

Free said:

'It's Not Us vs. Them'
    One police chief's humble solution to violence.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/its-not-us-vs-them/490493/

From the tiny town of Kenyon, Minnesota, Police Chief Lee Sjolander has a message for the 12,000 other police districts across the country.

Writing from his department’s Facebook page this morning, he advocates a humble role of public servitude that is antithetical to the toxic masculinity with which some police departments have been infected. “If I were your chief,” he writes, “and we worked for the same agency, serving the same great community, I would attend roll call, and here is what I would say”:

We have calls for service that we need to respond to. We have a grateful public that needs us, we have responsibilities. Yes, there are those out here who do not like us, or what we represent. It's been that way long before I or you became officers, and it will be that way long after we're gone.

I, as well as the public we serve have certain expectations, and we would all like them met when you can.

Here are just a few...

We expect you to be kind, we expect you to be fair, we expect you to be professional, and we expect you to do the best you can on every call for service.

We expect you to know the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law, and when to use your best discretion.

We expect you to leave people better than you found them when you can, and never take away someone’s dignity.

We expect you to be well-trained, and to know when, and when not to apply your training.

We expect you to be human. That means it's ok to laugh, cry, and be scared at times.

I want you to remember why you chose to answer this public service calling. I hope it was to be part of something bigger than yourself, I hope it was to serve the public that we love, and I hope it was to build relationships with coworkers, as well as our public.

I hope you chose this calling because you love having a front row seat into the lives of people, love problem solving, and know that what you do makes your family and friends proud.

Yes, we are all sharing in some dark times right now. But, we still expect you to be brilliant at the basics and do your job to the best of your abilities. ...

I expect you to patrol your areas with a smile on your face, kindness in your heart, calmness in your soul, and a wave to those you see. I expect you to get out of your patrol car and visit. I want you to listen to the compliments, the concerns, take them all in, and remember, it's not "us vs. them"

I expect you to show others that we are better than these tragedies, and we are striving to be better in so many ways.

I expect you to be safe at work, and at home. I hope you visit with your family openly about the current state of our nation, and how if we give into fear, violence, propaganda, etc. we will not be part of the solution.

If you or another member of our public service family is struggling, I expect you to get help, and I expect you to help others. I promise you, there is no shame in seeking help and being well.

I, as well as so many others are here for you. If you need me, I will be just a phone call, or radio call away.

I truly appreciate, and love each and everyone of you.

Stay safe,

Lee

OMGOODNESS that's the type of interaction from police I was talking about. That's simply outstanding THIS message should be broadcasted across this nation now.

Peace

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Why can't we all just get along?

Pot,Kettle is on line 1...