Options

Police shooting people.....

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Of course that distrust only puts them in greater danger and widens the gulf, but gut reactions like fear, anger, and resentment don't come from a place of dispassionate reason.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Clearly, there is no reason for black people to fear the police.
    Just comply and everything will be fine.
    Stop breaking the law.

So you'll eagerly make blanket statements like this- tarnishing an entire country's police force- yet you'll attack GF for making similar sweeping judgements against Muslim immigrants (all cops are racists... all practitioners of Islam are potentially dangerous)?

Got it. You're okay with generalizations if the generalizations fit your belief set.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,631
    What gambis wrote isn't a generalization, it's validating a lot of black people's emotions around the issue and pointing out some people's ridiculous logic used in response to pointing out police abuse of power.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

So you'll eagerly make blanket statements like this- tarnishing an entire country's police force- yet you'll attack GF for making similar sweeping judgements against Muslim immigrants (all cops are racists... all practitioners of Islam are potentially dangerous)?

Got it. You're okay with generalizations if the generalizations fit your belief set.
    I didn't read it that way.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

dignin said:

"Wow. Another black guy got shot by a cop!"
    - implies cops mowing down black guys fueled by racist attitudes

"Wow. Another black guy resisting arrest got shot by a cop!"
    - implies guy at point of arrest challenged cops and got shot for doing so

Which of the big profile cases were of the first variety? I can think of Tamir Rice and the recent one in Minnesota off the top of my head.

The other cases I'm remembering were of the second variety. And being of the second variety, in many circles including ones here, a very significant part of the equation is consistently left out- damning cops in the process and nurturing the 'us versus them' attitude which has recently resulted in cops targeted for death by people buying the 'us versus them' attitude.

The police have had an us vs. them attitude for a long time. It is shitty that civilians are starting to buy into that but who couldn't see that happening?
    I know. That's stupid on the part of civilians. The criminals are the only ones that should think of themselves as 'them'.

I'm on the 'us' side of the equation alongside cops. I don't break the law and I value their efforts to uphold it.
    What bothers me is that you hold citizens to higher standards than police.
    Your expectations are jacked. A highly trained professional officer is allowed to suspend judgement and act out of fear at the mere suggestion of a weapon, but when a cop points a weapon in a citizens face, the citizen is expected to keep their cool, follow directions, and remain calm.
    That's just fucked.
    I give police the right to protect themselves. I ask citizens to comply with the police.

If a citizen doesn't comply, resists, and is shot as a result... what can you say? I am not going to say cops need to exercise unbelievable restraint when dealing with confrontational people at the point of arrest- especially when doing so might place their lives at risk.

Don't want to get shot? Comply. Better yet... don't break the law.

Edit: what is f**ked is your eagerness to hold the bar so low for citizens... as if it is their right to not only break it, but resist it in a last ditch effort to avoid arrest.
    That sounds like a direct quote from an SS officer.

I hope you never have to be put in a situation where a cop is losing his shit and pointing weapons at you for simply asking questions, but it would be nice to see you learn a little humility. "Just comply", right like it's so easy to comply when your being tased for asking what you did wrong.
    Here's a guy that did just comply:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/21/fla-police-shoot-black-man-with-his-hands-up-as-he-tries-to-help-autistic-patient/?tid=sm_fb.

He did not call the cops "sir" though and not using "sir" is the gateway to getting combative.

This is an interesting one. The victim is a professional, is on camera being diplomatic and laying down with his arms in the air, and as a survivor can tell his story (assuming he's not taken out). Right now his background is being scoured and if we find out he was in a fight in high school, or got written up for smoking weed in his college dorm, I suppose all will be forgiven.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

What gambis wrote isn't a generalization, it's validating a lot of black people's emotions around the issue and pointing out some people's ridiculous logic used in response to pointing out police abuse of power.

All of these cases are the extreme. And in the overwhelming majority of these cases, resistance to arrest has been a variable in the situation.

I conceded that this case was one of gross incompetence and recklessness, however this case doesn't definitively exclaim that compliance with officers' demands means nothing to a police force hell bent on shooting black people.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Most people either feel that the cops are justified each and every time or the cops are racists bent on killing each and every time. No middle ground; takes too much critical thought. And from the perspective of the former, they've usually found a transgression in the victim's past or saw a twitch (False Start, #71) so they could say "he was going for the cop's gun!"

Here the victim is a professional. He was clearly a non-threat. He was clearly compliant. And he's still alive. The only thing left is the results of the extensive search for past transgressions that is already underway. If any felonies turn up, then this gets put in the "justified shooting" bin with the rest of 'em. If a bar fight in 1993 turns up, people will use it. If nothing turns up, then maybe this becomes the wake up call to some that this is not all or none. Of course if nothing turns up, some fake stuff may surface.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    OnWis97 said:

Most people either feel that the cops are justified each and every time or the cops are racists bent on killing each and every time. No middle ground; takes too much critical thought. And from the perspective of the former, they've usually found a transgression in the victim's past or saw a twitch (False Start, #71) so they could say "he was going for the cop's gun!"

Here the victim is a professional. He was clearly a non-threat. He was clearly compliant. And he's still alive. The only thing left is the results of the extensive search for past transgressions that is already underway. If any felonies turn up, then this gets put in the "justified shooting" bin with the rest of 'em. If a bar fight in 1993 turns up, people will use it. If nothing turns up, then maybe this becomes the wake up call to some that this is not all or none. Of course if nothing turns up, some fake stuff may surface.

I've been very vocal towards cops that deserve to be locked up. In this particular case, yes, the cop appears to have zero reason to shoot him. That's why I asked gambi if he had any other examples of a guy being shot by the police where there was no resisting.

Of the last 10 police shootings that have gained national attention, which ones don't involve resisting?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

This is the only example that I've seen where the was no resisting involved. If you have other examples of this happening, share them.
    I don't, but if you choose to believe that this first definitive video represents the first instance of this happening, there is no reason to bother continuing the discussion.

These sorts of incidents are something the black community has lived with from the very beginning.
    When a black man who hasn't broken the law is suspicious of police and "resists" an unjust detainment, perhaps people should remember this video when they wonder why trust is lacking.
    I'm not saying cops haven't shot people in the past for little to no reason. What I'm saying goodbye is that your narrative that cops are walking around killing black people for no reason is not valid. Of all of the videos of cops killing people, there has been 1 common theme: resisting.

This particular shooting is obviously an exception to that. And there is no doubt this cop should be locked up.
    There is no doubt he probably won't be.

I'm not saysaying this happens frequently, but it does happen regularly.
    When you start paying attention to all the shit short of shooting (beatings, unreasonable searches and detainment, etc) that black people are regularly subjected to, the distrust of police should make sense.
    He would almost certainly face some charges, the only other case as clear cut that I've seen (in SC) the cop was promptly arrested for murder and you never hear of it again.

He may not fave attempted murder charges if they believe it was an accidental discharge. Which I find believable. What seem more likely, that a racist murderous cop decided to commit a homicide in front of dozens of witnesses including cops, or couldn't handle the heat and unintentially discharged his weapon-remember they thought he was armed, which makes it seem more plausible to me.
    Not that I think he didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't fave consequences, just that it's possible it wasn't a flat out attempted murder. Maybe wreckless endangerment, not sure what would be appropriate without any of the facts.
  • Options

OnWis97 said:

I've been very vocal towards cops that deserve to be locked up. In this particular case, yes, the cop appears to have zero reason to shoot him. That's why I asked gambi if he had any other examples of a guy being shot by the police where there was no resisting.

Of the last 10 police shootings that have gained national attention, which ones don't involve resisting?
    Keep in mind all the other shootings that don't get attention because they haven't been filmed. In most of those cases the officers word is taken almost as gospel and they walk (rightly or wrongly). That's what I have a problem with.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

This is the only example that I've seen where the was no resisting involved. If you have other examples of this happening, share them.
    I don't, but if you choose to believe that this first definitive video represents the first instance of this happening, there is no reason to bother continuing the discussion.

These sorts of incidents are something the black community has lived with from the very beginning.
    When a black man who hasn't broken the law is suspicious of police and "resists" an unjust detainment, perhaps people should remember this video when they wonder why trust is lacking.
    I'm not saying cops haven't shot people in the past for little to no reason. What I'm saying goodbye is that your narrative that cops are walking around killing black people for no reason is not valid. Of all of the videos of cops killing people, there has been 1 common theme: resisting.

This particular shooting is obviously an exception to that. And there is no doubt this cop should be locked up.

When you start paying attention to all the shit short of shooting (beatings, unreasonable searches and detainment, etc) that black people are regularly subjected to, the distrust of police should make sense.
    He would almost certainly face some charges, the only other case as clear cut that I've seen (in SC) the cop was promptly arrested for murder and you never hear of it again.

He may not fave attempted murder charges if they believe it was an accidental discharge. Which I find believable. What seem more likely, that a racist murderous cop decided to commit a homicide in front of dozens of witnesses including cops, or couldn't handle the heat and unintentially discharged his weapon-remember they thought he was armed, which makes it seem more plausible to me.
    Not that I think he didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't fave consequences, just that it's possible it wasn't a flat out attempted murder. Maybe wreckless endangerment, not sure what would be appropriate without any of the facts.
    Michael slager, the cop in north charleston, will most likely walk. The prosecution is still insisting on a first degree murder charge. But, if you remember, the guy he shot was not only running away, but when slager caught up to him, he was able to grab slagers taser and give him a couple of zaps. That's why he drew his gun in the first place.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

You see what you want to see, I don't think the police force at large is he'll-bent on shooting black people. If GF simply said that people in Europe have a justified fear of terrorists, I wouldn't find fault with that.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

Michael slager, the cop in north charleston, will most likely walk. The prosecution is still insisting on a first degree murder charge. But, if you remember, the guy he shot was not only running away, but when slager caught up to him, he was able to grab slagers taser and give him a couple of zaps. That's why he drew his gun in the first place.
    I had forgotten a lot of the details. Read up on it again, and I have to say it's hard to have much sympathy for the victim if the evidence ends up supporting Slager's story (not that he deserves to get shot, but you can't expect a good result when you wrestle a cop to the group and take his taser).
    The defense is also arguing (or plan to argue) that lethal force is allowed if you believe there is an imminent threat to the community, which they will argue there was after the struggle. Looks like prosecutors are looking at additional charges other than first degree too.
    I'd have to say if Slager's story is supported Id have a hard time with first degree (if it's not, then no problem with it). But still hold him responsible and that a second degree or manslaughter would be appropriate. If he walks it'll probably be the result of an over-reach on the prosecution, which does happen on high profile cases when they try to make too big of a statement.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

I had forgotten a lot of the details. Read up on it again, and I have to say it's hard to have much sympathy for the victim if the evidence ends up supporting Slager's story (not that he deserves to get shot, but you can't expect a good result when you wrestle a cop to the group and take his taser).
    The defense is also arguing (or plan to argue) that lethal force is allowed if you believe there is an imminent threat to the community, which they will argue there was after the struggle. Looks like prosecutors are looking at additional charges other than first degree too.
    I'd have to say if Slager's story is supported Id have a hard time with first degree (if it's not, then no problem with it). But still hold him responsible and that a second degree or manslaughter would be appropriate. If he walks it'll probably be the result of an over-reach on the prosecution, which does happen on high profile cases when they try to make too big of a statement.
    8 shots in the back is definitely excessive and unnecessary. But, given the circumstances, slayer will probably walk. Slagers DNA was found on the tips of the taser. Which pretty much closes the door on first degree murder.

What's even more weird is the police union is refusing to pay for slagers defense. Slagers was fired after the shooting, but shouldn't he still get the benefits because the incident happened while he was an active member?
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

8 shots in the back is definitely excessive and unnecessary. But, given the circumstances, slayer will probably walk. Slagers DNA was found on the tips of the taser. Which pretty much closes the door on first degree murder.

What's even more weird is the police union is refusing to pay for slagers defense. Slagers was fired after the shooting, but shouldn't he still get the benefits because the incident happened while he was an active member?
    My guess would be the Union says something like if his job is terminated due to unlawful action then so is his union benefits. It's not like Darren Wilson who quit because of death threats from an on-duty shooting, Slager's was fired.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2016
    I believe it, there are a ton of officers out there that only hit the gun range when they have to renew certification. I'm blown away at how bad some of them shoot. It's not all entirety their fault, though. During ammo shortages, some agencies around here have relied on local reloaders to supply them with practice ammo. Some just aren't interested in firearm proficiency...which is a dumb thing in that line of work.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I believe it, there are a ton of officers out there that only hit the gun range when they have to renew certification. I'm blown away at how bad some of them shoot. It's not all entirety their fault, though. During ammo shortages, some agencies around here have relied on local reloaders to supply them with practice ammo. Some just aren't interested in firearm proficiency...which is a dumb thing in that line of work.
    PJPOWER said:

So why did they handcuff him? Little bit of a hole in the story...
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No clue, sounds like these particular individuals aren't very good at their job. Maybe that city should address crisis response as well as firearm proficiency training. The shooting was probably something as stupid as accidental discharge and they panicked? No excuses though, if I were to accidentally discharge a firearm and injure an innocent person, I would fully expect to be investigated and charged. Will they be?
    Another thought on the handcuffs. As a formal mental health professional, I saw people restrained with cuffs by the police to keep them from further injuring themselves... Cuffs are not always used for arrests is the point I'm trying to make. Not trying to defend anyone, just thinking of other possibilities other than the typical "racism" response that people are all to quick to jump to.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No clue, sounds like these particular individuals aren't very good at their job. Maybe that city should address crisis response as well as firearm proficiency training.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    None of this makes any sense whatsoever. The man repeatedly explained out loud that he was the caretaker of the subject, who happened to be autistic, and was only holding a toy car or train. He informed the officers repeatedly that neither he or the other person had any weapons on them, and to please not shoot. So after all of this, one officer now claims that he felt that Mr. Kinsey's life was in danger and tried to neutralize the threat? Not to mention that when Mr. Kinsey asked why he was shot, the officer's reply was simply "I don't know". If the officer is truly this terrible of a shot to begin with, and his intentions were not to shoot Mr. Kinsey, Why would you handcuff him after all of this? He was the one you were protecting right? None of this makes any sense again, the officer should be fucking charged, and held accountable for his negligence and flat out fucking stupidity. This entire incident is completely inexcusable.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. The man repeatedly explained out loud that he was the caretaker of the subject, who happened to be autistic, and was only holding a toy car or train. He informed the officers repeatedly that neither he or the other person had any weapons on them, and to please not shoot. So after all of this, one officer now claims that he felt that Mr. Kinsey's life was in danger and tried to neutralize the threat? Not to mention that when Mr. Kinsey asked why he was shot, the officer's reply was simply "I don't know". If the officer is truly this terrible of a shot to begin with, and his intentions were not to shoot Mr. Kinsey, Why would you handcuff him after all of this? He was the one you were protecting right? None of this makes any sense again, the officer should be fucking charged, and held accountable for his negligence and flat out fucking stupidity. This entire incident is completely inexcusable.
    Indeed
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No clue, sounds like these particular individuals aren't very good at their job. Maybe that city should address crisis response as well as firearm proficiency training. The shooting was probably something as stupid as accidental discharge and they panicked? No excuses though, if I were to accidentally discharge a firearm and injure an innocent person, I would fully expect to be investigated and charged. Will they be?
    If this is the excuse we are going to use for this officer, than this shithead is clearly not fit to be an officer. Some people really need to think about the line of work they are getting themselves into. Its not for everybody. At the end of the day there is no room for panic in the sense that it is going to keep you from conducting your job correctly, safely, and professionally. This a profession that requires an immense amount of attention to detail as lives hang in the balance of your decision making and judgment skills. A fireman arriving to a scene of a fire can not panic and begin to concern himself with amount of danger he has just arrived to. Lives are now being depended on fire personnel on scene to conduct themselves professionally and safely so that everyone gets to go home injury free, after it is all said and done. Its what you signed up for. This officer in particular does not display the characteristics of what it takes to be on the job.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said it best. This all comes back to a major display in lack of training and evaluation on the police departments.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

If this is the excuse we are going to use for this officer, than this shithead is clearly not fit to be an officer. Some people really need to think about the line of work they are getting themselves into. Its not for everybody. At the end of the day there is no room for panic in the sense that it is going to keep you from conducting your job correctly, safely, and professionally. This a profession that requires an immense amount of attention to detail as lives hang in the balance of your decision making and judgment skills. A fireman arriving to a scene of a fire can not panic and begin to concern himself with amount of danger he has just arrived to. Lives are now being depended on fire personnel on scene to conduct themselves professionally and safely so that everyone gets to go home injury free, after it is all said and done. Its what you signed up for. This officer in particular does not display the characteristics of what it takes to be on the job.
    We need to double the pay, double the hiring standards, double the training they receive, and independent review boards to hold them accountable.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ray J. T. said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

We need to double the pay, double the hiring standards, double the training they receive, and independent review boards to hold them accountable.
    I am not entirely sure what the solution is, but the departments must absolutely start doing a much better job in evaluating their personnel. one little psych test (that everyone knows how to pass btw) is just not enough. They most certainly need to do better with on the job training evaluation, and weeding out the people that are just not fit to do this job.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ray J. T. said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Why would a cop hater want to give them more money?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    We need to see a lot more of this. These officers deserve a fucking medal and a raise! They handled themselves professionally and accordingly. After the situation and threat was neutralized, everybody was able to tell their side of the story alive. No lives were lost unnecessarily.

https://youtu.be/gsCWK4XYHV8
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Options
    dignin said:

rgambs said:

Ray J. T. said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Why would a cop hater want to give them more money?
    Hahaha, it's almost as if you can be critical and caring at the same time...

Nawww I must just be off my meds lol
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

We need to see a lot more of this. These officers deserve a fucking medal and a raise! They handled themselves professionally and accordingly. After the situation and threat was neutralized, everybody was able to tell their side of the story alive. No lives were lost unnecessarily.

https://youtu.be/gsCWK4XYHV8

Holy hell.